Free tech

452,383 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Ark03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Hi william1978,

Can you please email me any information on how to signup for the Netgear friends evaluation program?

Oh noes, a random person found our thread!

In all seriousness, I think the F&F program is not taking new enrollments, and the signup link no longer works.
n_touch
quote:
Can anybody with the ReadyNAS help me with installing ReadyDROP? I have remote access enabled, but when I try to install ReadyDROP, nothing happens. When I click on the Cloud tab while logged in as admin on my ReadyCLOUD, I can see the ReadyCLOUD, Ready NAS Remote and ReadyNAS Replicate.

When I click on the Ready NAS Remote in the menu bar after installing it, there is a ReadyDROP in the main menu, but it doesn't have a flyout.

I've tried installing like I did with Ready NAS Remote, but I can't see how to do that anywhere. All it does is take me to the ReadyDROP login screen.
It looks like it was taken out with an update last year. ReadyDrop Replaced
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
If we didn't get an email from Meng should we email him? What is the process?
Here is the process as I understand it.

There are a couple hundred in the F&F testing program. Whenever Netgear decides to test a product, they randomly select a certain number in the program and send them e-mail's. They wait to get responses back, and then randomly choose from those who responded to send out product.

For example, they may send out 50 e-mail's, get responses from 40 people, and send out 25 units to test.
This is correct. And if you are one of the 25, you will get an email saying that you were selected.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Hi william1978,

Can you please email me any information on how to signup for the Netgear friends evaluation program?

My email: q_ngo@hotmail.com
It's currently not open to new participants, but if this changes, I will let you know.
uncover&humpit
AG
Just got a shipping notice from Netgear. Could it be the around town that I filled out a survey for about a month ago? If so, how many gigs of data are pre loaded? Thanks again William 1978!
rllguitar
AG
Just got a shipping notice for the Around Town mobile hotspots as well. WHOOP!

uncover .... According to the Netgear site, the Around Town hotspot comes with 1GB worth of of access.
pnut02
AG
What does the reference say? I believe it comes preloaded with 1GB; wouldn't really expect more.

Reference:Around Town F&F
uncover&humpit
AG
Sweet!
[table]Reference:Around Town F&F[/table]
Dr. Venkman
AG
This is a big let down with the ReadyNAS. You cannot choose the target folder on your PC to sync with the NAS. All my stuff is on a separate HDD from the c:/ so I can't sync with it.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Can't control fan speed either and the HDDs are running hot. Otherwise a great machine.
mlambert77
AG
I'm jealous. I haven't received any notices since Marynel left.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Me 2
nukeaggie2000
AG
I got the shipping notice for the around town mobile hotspot, whoop
ExPLK
AG
quote:
quote:
Me 2

Me 3. Fingers crossed for next round.
trueaggie2782
AG
Me as well but Travis did say to give them a chance to shuffle her duties so I'm not too worried.
quyenngo26
Thank you william1978!
devastor
AG
quote:
Me as well but Travis did say to give them a chance to shuffle her duties so I'm not too worried.
Agreed.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
This is a big let down with the ReadyNAS. You cannot choose the target folder on your PC to sync with the NAS. All my stuff is on a separate HDD from the c:/ so I can't sync with it.
Let me do some digging and see if it's on an upcoming FW release
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Can't control fan speed either and the HDDs are running hot. Otherwise a great machine.
What do you like about it? Not sarcasm, serious question...
Dr. Venkman
AG
The setup was amazingly easy. Turn on, go to a website, click "discover" and you're done. The user interface is well designed. Haven't had a connection issue yet. The cloud service is nice...no port forwarding or other router tricks. Can even access the admin page from outside my network to add users, download apps, change settings, etc. This is crucial since I want to put this in a remote location in case of fire/theft. Speed is great...200 MB/s. The case is well made. I really like the handle on the back. Adding hard drives was simple, slide out and pop in, no screws. The sync feature worked well when I turned it on. I'm really looking forward to that if I can choose the target folder. I won't have to use Box or Drop Box with their file size and space limits. Overall I'm really impressed.
Rule Number 32
AG
I haven't had a chance to test the NAS very much yet, but my findings have been very similar to Dr Venkman's above. Very fast transfer speeds and overall it has been super easy. From the time I opened the box, read the instructions (some of them at least), and got it all set up - it was less than 15 minutes. I've been testing it out pulling large photo files back and forth quite a bit and I have not had any issues at all.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Venkman, thanks for the feedback. The engineering team is putting a fix into OS 6.4.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I haven't had a chance to test the NAS very much yet, but my findings have been very similar to Dr Venkman's above. Very fast transfer speeds and overall it has been super easy. From the time I opened the box, read the instructions (some of them at least), and got it all set up - it was less than 15 minutes. I've been testing it out pulling large photo files back and forth quite a bit and I have not had any issues at all.
in case you didn't know, you can buy a small smart switch (GS108T) for about $80 and use the link aggregation feature, which doubles network speed to 2 GBps. Combine that with AC1200+ and you have even faster transfer speeds over Wifi and wired.

Thanks for all the feedback!
khkman22
AG
Travis, haven't had time to research yet, but is there a size limit on copying and pasting folders from a PC/Mac to a folder on the NAS? I was trying to copy over a 55GB folder with pictures and it canceled without transferring any over. I am not using sync because I was looking at moving all the files to the NAS and keeping Mac HD fairly clean and possibly downsizing to a lower capacity SSD, so I'm not going to want the files both places.

How is working with photos supposed to be faster? I copied just a few pictures over to see how it would work and when I tried to work with a 15MB .psd file, it took it 30 seconds or so to open it from the NAS, whereas when I opened the file from the Mac, it only took 5 seconds, maybe. I was just wondering if I needed to configure something in order to make it speedier since you said it is supposed to be good for photographers.

I installed Plex and tried to play an .m4v movie (Frozen digital copy downloaded from iTunes), but it said it can't play it. When I researched that, Plex said that ARM based CPUs cannot handle .m4v files. What types of files can Plex handle and how should I go about converting them? I tried using Handbrake, but it didn't convert so I'm guessing I would need to decrypt it before using Handbrake?
wee_ag
AG
I've also enjoyed my ReadyNAS 314 - my chief complaint is that on my Mac (OS X 10.9.5) I constantly loose network connection with it when trying to use it as a Time Machine backup. I can still access the drives via Finder and nothing else on my network looses connection so I'm inclined to believe something is hinkey with the NAS. I can't figure out what's going on though.
snuggleworm
First off I wanted to just say thank you Travis for letting us all be a part of this program. I feel it's a true example of the Aggie Spirit. Also this program allowed me to work with some of your ReadyNAS equipment which I otherwise would probably not have gone out and bought on my own. I must say I'm pretty impressed but have found a few things that bother me.

The shutdown button took forever for me to find (really minor)
I like the ability to sync picture from my android the readycloud but it seems to disconnect quite often
On the app it'd also be nice if there was a download to phone option
The placement of one of the ethernet ports on the RN314 is inconveniently placed in relation to the handle on the back

Thanks again for the chance to be a part of this and test out Netgear's products.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
First off I wanted to just say thank you Travis for letting us all be a part of this program. I feel it's a true example of the Aggie Spirit. Also this program allowed me to work with some of your ReadyNAS equipment which I otherwise would probably not have gone out and bought on my own. I must say I'm pretty impressed but have found a few things that bother me.

I like the ability to sync picture from my android the readycloud but it seems to disconnect quite often
The placement of one of the ethernet ports on the RN314 is inconveniently placed in relation to the handle on the back

Thanks again for the chance to be a part of this and test out Netgear's products.
I appreciate all of the feedback. Know that your comments go straight to product development and engineers. Also know that we have a team that is committed to make NETGEAR boxes not only relevant again, but better than our competitors. All of your feedback is being received to very open ears.

Thanks.
snuggleworm
quote:
quote:

I appreciate all of the feedback. Know that your comments go straight to product development and engineers. Also know that we have a team that is committed to make NETGEAR boxes not only relevant again, but better than our competitors. All of your feedback is being received to very open ears.

Thanks.
I'm glad to hear it. I'm really glad to see the interest in feedback you have in this forum. As I find things did you want me to add forum posts or is there another way you'd like us to submit feedback? A few other things I've found.

The photo syncing from the android app only happens while the app is open
SSD caching would be a nice feature to add for speed
The read/write speed seems to be slower than other NASs I've used in the past by about 10-20 MB/s
On the screen that shows the HDDs in the NAS I noticed at one point the status light on one of them was a different color. I looked in the manual to see what the color meant but I don't think I actually found it in the manual. Later on I looked at the individual drive info on the NAS and it had the status of that hard drive.
Dr. Venkman
AG
quote:
quote:
Venkman, thanks for the feedback. The engineering team is putting a fix into OS 6.4.
Great news! Add good product support to something else I like about it.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Travis, haven't had time to research yet, but is there a size limit on copying and pasting folders from a PC/Mac to a folder on the NAS? I was trying to copy over a 55GB folder with pictures and it canceled without transferring any over. I am not using sync because I was looking at moving all the files to the NAS and keeping Mac HD fairly clean and possibly downsizing to a lower capacity SSD, so I'm not going to want the files both places.

How is working with photos supposed to be faster? I copied just a few pictures over to see how it would work and when I tried to work with a 15MB .psd file, it took it 30 seconds or so to open it from the NAS, whereas when I opened the file from the Mac, it only took 5 seconds, maybe. I was just wondering if I needed to configure something in order to make it speedier since you said it is supposed to be good for photographers.

I installed Plex and tried to play an .m4v movie (Frozen digital copy downloaded from iTunes), but it said it can't play it. When I researched that, Plex said that ARM based CPUs cannot handle .m4v files. What types of files can Plex handle and how should I go about converting them? I tried using Handbrake, but it didn't convert so I'm guessing I would need to decrypt it before using Handbrake?
khkman, here is a response from some of our product guys. Let me know if this is helpful.

File transfer
Is the userattempting to do this copy via ReadyCloud? Is the NAS on the same local network
as the PC or at a remote location.?
I have experienced this issue whentransferring large files to a mapped NAS through Windows Explorer. Idon't believe this is a limitation of the NAS, but of the computer that is
transferring the files from. There are other clients that can be used for
this type of transferring, or as Matthew suggested, he can use ReadyCLOUD.

Photo editing
The photo editing experience should be better than this. A few questions I have are: How is his
computer connected to the network/NAS? Is he on a Gigabit network (gig
ports, CAT 5e cable or better, etc.)?
There may be a weak link in his network that is slowing down his transferring/editing.

Plex
The 200 Series doesn't support transcoding through Plex, so .m4v formats will not work (you can learn more about Plex limitations here). MP4 format is guaranteed to work with the RN200, but I believe that the Direct Stream content should play as well (need to do further testing).
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250387-Streaming-Media-Direct-Play-and-Direct-Stream
uncover&humpit
AG
I got the around town hotspot and I've been using it periodically to test it out. The signal around Houston seems really spotty. I'm in Cypress (suburb of Houston) right now and only have 1 bar of LTE connectivity and it is on the slow side for web browsing or downloading email attachments. Comparing it to my Verizon LTE data on my iPad, where I have 4 bars or service, the around town device is much slower. Is there a way to update the cellular networks or does Sprint just suck that bad?
pnut02
AG
You're pretty much at the mercy of Sprint. I'm in the same boat. Sprint's LTE frequencies don't penetrate buildings like Verizon does.
wee_ag
AG
I'M STILL LOVED!!!

Just got an email from Meng - It's for the NETGEAR'sAC3200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Router
flintdragon
AG
I'm loved too!
Dro07
AG
it shall be mine!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.