Free tech

452,450 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
trueaggie2782
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just curious if Travis can stop by and let us know the current status of the program. Is it being phased out? Have the number of participants been reduced? Are there just no new products needing testing? Just wondering as I haven't heard anything in a good long while.
Aggietaco
AG
Judging by the reviews on Amazon, there is a much larger tester base than there used to be. There are also stories of non-critical reviewers being utilized more often (not specific to Netgear, just the "paid" reviewer trend in general).

Or maybe they just don't like you.
hurricanejake02
AG
I've received a couple of surveys for participation over the last month or so. One I wasn't selected for and one I chose not to participate in.

It may also depend on what items you signed up to test in your original survey.

FWIW, I'm signed up as both a business and consumer tester.
Naveronski
AG
I'm not sure what the Amazon review program was part of.

However, I can tell you that the beta testing of new hardware is very much alive.
trueaggie2782
AG
Good to hear it's still active.

quote:
Or maybe they just don't like you.

This could very well be true. I did give less than stellar reviews on their Arlo camera and range extender but in my defense I was told to be honest.
n_touch
nvm
jbryan10
AG
quote:
Dear NETGEAR First Look Review Program Candidate,

You have been identified as someone who might be interested in participating in NETGEAR Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50) test and review program.

Important change: To post a review on Amazon, customers must spend at least $50.00 using a valid credit or debit card. If you have not spent $50.00, then you will be unable to write a review and risk losing eligibility for future First Look Review Program opportunities.

Below is the link for more information on NETGEAR Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System.
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/orbi/

If you'd like the opportunity to review NETGEAR Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System, please fill out the survey link below. If you are selected, you will be notified via email of your participation.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Sincerely,
The NETGEAR Team
jay040
What email address did this come from? Need to update my filters.
Reginald Cousins
S
Amazon must be doing something about these reviews. A company I review for used to give me everything for like $1, but now you must buy it full price and upon review they refund the price in (their store only) credit. I bailed.
khkman22
AG
quote:
quote:
Important change: To post a review on Amazon, customers must spend at least $50.00 using a valid credit or debit card. If you have not spent $50.00, then you will be unable to write a review and risk losing eligibility for future First Look Review Program opportunities.

So what does this mean? You have to buy a random object(s) for $50 to be able to post a review? Or do you just have to had bought $50 worth from Amazon at some point in the past?
reb,
AG
okay, ive seen this thread for a long time now but it was so long by the time i noticed it that i have no idea what's really going on

can someone cliff's notes it for me?
khkman22
AG
quote:
You're too late to the party to matter.
jbryan10
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

So what does this mean? You have to buy a random object(s) for $50 to be able to post a review? Or do you just have to had bought $50 worth from Amazon at some point in the past?
On the survey itself, it said something along the lines of: "You must have spent at least $50 on your amazon account". My understanding is that covers any time in the past. I guess it is to prevent people from creating new accounts just to review their own stuff.

Emails are still coming from Ben Pool
khkman22
AG
Basically there was a survey sent out for people to join a free testing program for Netgear items. The program is now closed, at least through the original links we had. Items have ranged from Nighthawk routers to Arlo security cameras to NAS setups to wi-fi range extenders, as well as some other items.
reb,
AG
quote:
quote:
You're too late to the party to matter.
story of my life. thanks though.
Kampfers
AG
Doesn't really matter, I haven't been emailed since they sent us the update survey in February and changed the name of the program. It's a shadow of what it used to be.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Doesn't really matter, I haven't been emailed since they sent us the update survey in February and changed the name of the program. It's a shadow of what it used to be.
I have had about 10 products this year. So YMMV.
Naveronski
AG
Are you part of the beta program, or just the Amazon review gig?
flintdragon
AG
yeah really unsure why some people get almost nil and others benefit a lot. I'm assuming it is from the survey response but doesn't seem like it.

I seem to get an invite every 2-3 months or so.
txag2k
AG
I'm in the netgear program and have had a few items this year. Last item was the Arlo Q. Good stuff. Thanks again Travis
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Are you part of the beta program, or just the Amazon review gig?
Beta, home and business First Look.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I haven't received an invite in probably 8 months or more. Incite or survey.
irock2513
AG
Things were pretty quiet for the 2nd half of 2015 for me, but 2016 has been great. 2 extenders, a Nighthawk router, Arlo Q, and it's been capped off by the Orbi system that came in on Monday. Not a bad haul.

Might be worth following up on the survey email from Feb, and confirming with the rep that your registration was successful.
Dro07
AG
quote:
I haven't received an invite in probably 8 months or more. Incite or survey.
feel ya
reb,
AG
is there anywhere else on the interwebz that one could find anything resembling this? im starting to hate myself for not jumping on this
adamsbq06
AG
Last item i received was the Powersafe M5300
sawemoffshort07
AG
reb, said:

is there anywhere else on the interwebz that one could find anything resembling this? im starting to hate myself for not jumping on this
+1
ExPLK
AG
My last correspondence with Ben was on 4/19/16. I am thankful for the opportunities that I have received thus far and am happy the program is still thriving. Excited for all the people who have gotten the opportunity to participate in this cool program!
>>>*** AG 'EM GIGGIES! ***<<<
wee_ag
AG
ExPLK said:

My last correspondence with Ben was on 4/19/16. I am thankful for the opportunities that I have received thus far and am happy the program is still thriving. Excited for all the people who have gotten the opportunity to participate in this cool program!
Whatever dude - you know you want some Orbi
Mike92
AG
I received a wireless router to review a few weeks ago after not having seen anything for quite some time. Not gonna lie though, I'd really like to try out an Arlo and/or an Orbi.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Agreed. Just to point out in addition to my post above, while I'm bummed I haven't gotten anything, I am more than happy to have participated as much as I did and thank Travis and Netgear for the opportunity. Wanted to let others know they aren't alone in the lack of emails.

Great program though!
jbryan10
AG
ExPLK said:

Last thing I got was a range extender back in January, so I'm pretty excited (Orbi just shipped). Still got my fingers crossed for another round of those dang Arlo's though.
BEaggie08
AG
Mike92 said:

I received a wireless router to review a few weeks ago after not having seen anything for quite some time. Not gonna lie though, I'd really like to try out an Arlo and/or an Orbi.
This! I keep getting different modems and routers. Often times I have to downgrade what I already have to test and review the newer equipment I receive.
wee_ag
AG
Welp...

Amazon Finally Bans Shady Practice That Messes Up Reviews
Bregxit
AG
wee_ag said:

Welp...

Amazon Finally Bans Shady Practice That Messes Up Reviews

Lately Netgear has been asking for reviews on Newegg. I guess the writing has been on the wall at Amazon.

I have given 3 and 4 star reviews to some of the Netgear stuff and still get new opportunities.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.