Free tech

452,474 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Then again I am not holding my breath that they'll send out to more than to a couple of testers.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Got the e-mail -

So, just to be clear - after I get these, use them, review them, etc. I get to keep them?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Got my email.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Travis Rudolph from Glen Rose, America?

If so...good peoples.
Makdaddy
If it comes loaded with drives, which I'm assuming it will, It'll be Christmas in September
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Yes, I would finally get around to ripping my DVDs if it is loaded with 16 TBs.
flintdragon
AG
got my email this morning... excited. Tired of my crappy WHS server...
JonLobb
I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk router with a USB hard drive as a NAS right now. I'm anxious to see how it compares.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
She will not be sending out a confirmation email when you fill out individual surveys and will not send out an email for people who are NOT selected. So basically, for the rest of this year at least, you'll get one email saying "fill this out if you want to try this product" and one email if you are selected.

From the OP. Can't tell if today's email means you are selected or if there is a selection out of those who responded today. I know I didn't receive the 9/17 email.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Hey fellas, OP here.

yes, you get to keep it. it will come with 1TB installed. you can fill up the rest of it with your own stuff, but I highly recommend that you check the hard drive compatibility list first. Don't put a 5 year old drive in there.

Also, the link to the product page on Amazon is for a diskless unit, yes. We filled these up ourselves, but ask that you review the diskless unit since that is the model # on the package that you are getting.

I think the turnaround on responding to you from NETGEAR will be quick on this one, probably 4 days or less.

Have fun with this unit. It is excellent at data protection. I use the 2 bay equivalent, and the video streaming to mobile and photo backup and streaming is getting faster and faster.

I told you guys there was some good stuff in here.

Bregxit
AG
Is there a second selection out of today's email or was today's email the selection?
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
I'm pretty sure that Texags filled up the available spots pretty quickly today. I don't think there will be another selection on this one. There will be several more cool products this year. As for NAS, could be a few more months.
Trek Strategy - Every Journey Needs a Guide
Aggie71013
AG
quote:
You will receive an email shorty confirming your participation which will also include the date you can expect to receive the product.

Did anyone get the second email confirming participation?
Bregxit
AG
What I meant was, if you got an email today are you in on the NAS? You had a post I quoted above that was a bit confusing.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
To expand on what dlance is saying -

Those of us that got the e-mail saying "Would you be interested in trying and reviewing this NAS unit" and replied YES - are we in, or will they take a selection from those that said YES (meaning some of us that said YES may not actually get to test the unit).

Hope this helps clarify (I think most of us probably said YES but haven't heard back so we're curious).
Bregxit
AG
JDC got it.
n_touch
I got the email as well today about the NAS. How were we supposed to respond? I did email back with a question making sure the drives were preloaded and this was her response.

quote:
I sent you a link of the Amazon page where you will be posting the review, which is a diskless sku. We are shipping the product with the drive to make it easier for you to install, test and review the product J

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Marynel
I am guessing this is the same person that everyone is receiving an email from?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Same for me.
JonLobb
quote:
I got the email as well today about the NAS. How were we supposed to respond? I did email back with a question making sure the drives were preloaded and this was her response.

quote:
I sent you a link of the Amazon page where you will be posting the review, which is a diskless sku. We are shipping the product with the drive to make it easier for you to install, test and review the product J

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Marynel
I am guessing this is the same person that everyone is receiving an email from?
yep. No mention of a follow up survey, and something about this being a "fast track" product. I'm taking this combination to mean that the first email was the confirmation and that if you got it you are getting the NAS?

I'm a little bit disappointed that it's only coming with 1 drive, one of the most important things to test about a NAS is RAID. Now I have to decide if it's worth it to go ahead and part with my own money to load it up properly.
n_touch
I am thinking the same thing. The email said that I would receive confirmation when it was shipped. I was thinking the same about the hard drive. Does anyone have one that they recommend? I am thinking that this one will work WD Hard Drive. I will probably wait till it comes in or someone else gets and we can figure out how much storage is already on it.
JonLobb
Ideally I'd like to use Seagate NAS HDDs. But I'll probably just pick up 1 or 2 drives identical to the one it ships with. I'm not quite willing to part with the $600 I'd need for 4 Seagate NAS 4TB drives
2006EE
AG
I'm a cheap ass. I'm using what they send and being cool with it.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
A three star cheap ass
JonLobb
quote:
I'm a cheap ass. I'm using what they send and being cool with it.
maybe you could trade in some of that tag swag
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Hell, I'll be happy with 1TB since I get to keep it.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Dlance, JDCAG,

They sent a first email saying, "are you interested". if you responded, your name was added to a list. Since there are always a limited number of products for this program, they'll take the first 30 names that respond (if there are 30 review units available) and tag those people as receiving units. If more than 30 come in, those people will not get a response or a test unit. Basically, if you are one of the first 30, you'll get a second email saying that the product is being shipped. If you don't get an email within a week, you weren't selected.

Here is a link to the hard drive compatibility list for this unit, in case you want to buy another drive and have RAID. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641/~/hardware-compatibility-list-hard-disks

Ark03
AG
Has anyone received a shipment confirmation email yet?
adamsbq06
AG
I am waiting on a confirmation. I responded within 6 minutes of the original email
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Dlance, JDCAG,

They sent a first email saying, "are you interested". if you responded, your name was added to a list. Since there are always a limited number of products for this program, they'll take the first 30 names that respond (if there are 30 review units available) and tag those people as receiving units. If more than 30 come in, those people will not get a response or a test unit. Basically, if you are one of the first 30, you'll get a second email saying that the product is being shipped. If you don't get an email within a week, you weren't selected.

Here is a link to the hard drive compatibility list for this unit, in case you want to buy another drive and have RAID. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641/~/hardware-compatibility-list-hard-disks

Thanks for the clarification!
n_touch
Hope I was included in this. I responded with a question, I hope that she took that as I was interested in receiving it.
flintdragon
AG
no confirmation here yet.
kb2001
AG
Crossing my fingers, I responded within an hour
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Crossing my fingers, I responded within an hour

So did I. Though after reading a bunch of reviews on Amazon and Newegg my excitement was tempered a bit. It will be interesting if I get one to be able to compare it to my Synology NAS.
2006EE
AG
I replied in 14 minutes.
JonLobb
Thank God for TexAgs. I hadn't been checking my phone until I saw this thread.

I replied in 39 minutes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.