Free tech

452,487 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Scooley01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got an email for the WNR2020 AND the Comcast/TWC modem. Still no response for that 4G router. I guess you don't get a response if you're not picked for a particular item?
La Fours
AG
I would like to just get an email offering the chance to test something. I filled out the survey.
2006EE
AG
quote:
I would like to just get an email offering the chance to test something. I filled out the survey.
Trust me. It sucks to get the email and reply within 14 minutes and have people that emailed after an hour get to test it and not you.
old ag 2003
AG
Woohoo just got the email that I get to test the N300 4G LTE Mobile Broadband WiFi Router (MBR1515A)!
TracerX
Just got in on the MBR1515A as well. Looking forward to testing it out.
cena05
AG
Also in on the MBR1515A, kinda wish I had verizon so I could use it after the 30 days.
Bregxit
AG
Damn I have Verizon. Would be cool to have.
Scooley01
AG
Does Verizon offer a pay-as-you-go plan that could be used with the router?

Also, is it against the rules to sell the item on ebay or something once the month is up?
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Also in on the MBR1515A, kinda wish I had verizon so I could use it after the 30 days.

Not sure about that. I got it too and started reviewing pricing since I have Verizon. From what I understand, it's $80/month for only 10 gigs of data. It can be added to a More Everything plan for much cheaper, but the data limit still applies if I understand correctly. Through my home Wi-Fi connection through Clear, I'm using sound 70 gigs per month with no data cap at half that price, so that price structure is nowhere near realistic for a home network. I'd pay ten times the price for what I'm using now while only increasing my download and upload speeds by a factor of 2. I could get comparable speeds through hard wired service from AT&T with no data cap for less. I will try the MBR1515, buy if the price I got from Verizon online is legit I may neg review it on that alone.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:

Not sure about that. I got it too and started reviewing pricing since I have Verizon. From what I understand, it's $80/month for only 10 gigs of data. It can be added to a More Everything plan for much cheaper, but the data limit still applies if I understand correctly. Through my home Wi-Fi connection through Clear, I'm using sound 70 gigs per month with no data cap at half that price, so that price structure is nowhere near realistic for a home network. I'd pay ten times the price for what I'm using now while only increasing my download and upload speeds by a factor of 2. I could get comparable speeds through hard wired service from AT&T with no data cap for less. I will try the MBR1515, buy if the price I got from Verizon online is legit I may neg review it in that alone.

In fairness you should be reviewing the device itself, not Verizon's pricing plans. Right?
ABATTBQ11
AG
You have to use Verizon's network to use the device. It doesn't matter if the device is awesome if the data is unaffordable. At that point it's just a well designed paper weight. I'll break my review down into categories for functionality and usability, but if a Verizon rep confirms what I found online I couldn't recommend that anyone get it along with a Verizon data plan to use it. The way I see it, it might be like having a Lambo but not being able to afford the special $10,000/gallon Lambo gas to make it run. It may be an awesome machine, but that doesn't mean it's a good deal.
bigtruckguy3500
For the amazon username, is it just our e-mail address that we use to login to amazon?

Also, I ignored the e-mail for the Verizon broadband router because I figured you had to have Verizon. Do you get a free 30 days with data or something?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yeah. 5 gigs for 30 days.
dubi
AG
Bigtruckguy,

Yes, Amazon username is your login email.
Ganondorf
AG
What do we do with the device once we've reviewed it? I have the 4G router waiting at home but I don't have Verizon and don't need a 4G router in the future.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Sell it?
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
Sell it?

I didn't know if we could. I haven't read the thread the whole way through because I didn't get in on the last one that everyone was talking about.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Bigtruckguy,

Yes, Amazon username is your login email.

Your reviews also come up under an actual user name depending on how you have it set up.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm pretty sure once you have it, it's yours. That's what I got from the OP.
old ag 2003
AG
So I got my "you've been chosen to test the MBR1515A" email yesterday and received it today. Then I just got a fedex notification that a package is arriving tomorrow with the reference code "WNR2020v2", even though I never received an email confirming I had been chosen to test it. Go me?
redd38
AG
Just got a tracking number from netgear
bco2003
AG
Also got my FedEx shipping number for the WNR2020.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/wnr2020.aspx
nwspmp
Just got the e-mail to test the WNR2020V2! Should have time this weekend...
dubi
AG
quote:

Me too!
adamsbq06
AG
Crickets for me... Nothing since the NAS
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Crickets for me... Nothing since the NAS

Same.
adamsbq06
AG
I'd complain but then I realize that I got a $400 NAS for free
Bregxit
AG
quote:
I'd complain but then I realize that I got a $400 NAS for free

Yep. No complaints here. It is a cool program.
kb2001
AG
quote:
Same here. It says it shipped today and should arrive tomorrow. Seems quick, hopefully it's here this weekend
dubi
AG
Question..... And I don't mean to be critical of the Negear router.

I have had an ASUS AC router for most of the past year. Based on specs, the Netgear seems to be a step backwards for us early adopters. Is wireless N what the typical consumer purchases? I see that Netgear model was first released on Amazon in June 2014.

PooDoo
AG
I'm posting from the MBR1515LVW-A 4G Router now... It gets a better upload speed than I do with U-Verse.

8.08 up & 5.96 down
La Fours
AG
quote:

I have had an ASUS AC router for most of the past year. Based on specs, the Netgear seems to be a step backwards for us early adopters. Is wireless N what the typical consumer purchases? I see that Netgear model was first released on Amazon in June 2014.

N routers are the most common because almost no manufacturers are putting AC wifi cards in devices. Apple just announced AC wifi in their new stuff today. But I don't know of any others. I know you can't go to Best Buy and buy a computer or other device with AC other than routers or usb wifi dongles. So you aren't getting the AC performance from your current devices.

Also, this is a reconfigured N router for Netgear with the external antennas on the router.

But yes, it is a step backwards, and it won't have near the range that your AC router has.
PooDoo
AG
quote:

The Netgear router is an entry level model selling for $34 on tigerdirect... It should be a step backwards.
dubi
AG
quote:
it won't have near the range that your AC router has.

I previously had 2 wireless access points in my 5br ranch house because the structure didn't get a good signal throughout (1 in living area and 1 in back bedroom). The Asus AC solved that and we get a good signal outside too.

So I am eager to test the range on the Netgear.

Thanks for the responses.

FYI: My NAS is up and running and I used the phone app at work today to view pictures! Totally cool!
Scooley01
AG
The 4G on this thing is blazing...I'm getting 40 down and 11 up! Also setup couldn't have been easier...just screw on the antennas and plug it into the wall. Done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.