Free tech

452,499 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
TexasAggiesWin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
quote:
quote:
Looks like a new batch of CM400's going out... but I'm on UVerse, so I'll have to pass.

+1

+2
Scooley01
AG
Got the CM400 email as well. Still can't do it because I'm on Suddenlink. I also still don't understand the review being provider-specific.
pnut02
AG
quote:
Got the CM400 email as well. Still can't do it because I'm on Suddenlink. I also still don't understand the review being provider-specific.
Probably because Suddenlink hasn't certified the modem.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Got the cm400 email as well and probably switching to Time Warner if I get it. I've got a Clear modem right now, and the speeds are nowhere close to what they were before sprint bought them out. I can get comparable service for half what I'm paying right now.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:

Yep, me too.
nwspmp
Suddenlink is doing the channel bonding (or at least is getting the network ready for it) for very high speed cable modems. Now would be a great time to test some 16-24 channel DOCSIS 3 modems
jay040
Just got a NETGEAR Powerline 500 Essential Edition (XAVB5221) yesterday! I'll test it out this weekend and get the review posted. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to test this stuff out!
Caliber
AG
Got a CM400 email the other day, but I'm not on the right provider as well so had to pass.

Looks like they do not wait on you to post a review for something else before sending out new emails either. Just posted my R6050 review this morning.
Ark03
AG
quote:
As promised, here is the NAS announcement. The is available for download today. Enjoy all the new features!!

There should be some videos posting soon to show off the functionality. The auto backup and new sync app for PC's should be cool.

NETGEAR'SNEW READYNAS OPERATING SYSTEM OFFERS INDUSTRY-LEADING 5 LEVELS OF DATA
PROTECTION

ReadyNASOS 6.2 offers exciting new safeguards and usability features for home storage,
including first-of-its-kind auto-backup and sync app for PCs

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2014/11172014_New_ReadyNas_Operating_System.aspx

Has anyone been able to successfully install 6.2 (other than the beta version)? William's post, along with a couple of the press releases, say it should be available now (one press release says through GUI), but I still don't see it.
Token
AG
For some reason I got the cm4000 and I installed it at my dads house. He loves it
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
As promised, here is the NAS announcement. The is available for download today. Enjoy all the new features!!

There should be some videos posting soon to show off the functionality. The auto backup and new sync app for PC's should be cool.

NETGEAR'SNEW READYNAS OPERATING SYSTEM OFFERS INDUSTRY-LEADING 5 LEVELS OF DATA
PROTECTION

ReadyNASOS 6.2 offers exciting new safeguards and usability features for home storage,
including first-of-its-kind auto-backup and sync app for PCs

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2014/11172014_New_ReadyNas_Operating_System.aspx
Has anyone been able to successfully install 6.2 (other than the beta version)? William's post, along with a couple of the press releases, say it should be available now (one press release says through GUI), but I still don't see it.
6.2 was available on the RN314 through the system updater.
Ark03
AG
Still not available in the system updater on the 104.
La Fours
AG
Wouldn't work for me on the 314.
wee_ag
AG
Can anyone explain why it's not possible to just add an extra HD to the NAS without reformatting all of them and starting the backups from scratch? If you can replace one when it goes bad without reformatting, why can't you add a new one?
JonLobb
quote:
Can anyone explain why it's not possible to just add an extra HD to the NAS without reformatting all of them and starting the backups from scratch? If you can replace one when it goes bad without reformatting, why can't you add a new one?
if you're using the proprietary FlexRaid you can just pop in a new HD, so long as it's the same capacity as the others. But this is basically JBOD RAID, which is meh
Ark03
AG
quote:
Here's my non-technical attempt at an explanation: If you let it install via the default RAID configuration, it will rebuild the array by moving data around into the RAID scheme. Depending on the type of RAID, you'll have data spread among all the drives: ie it will write tiny amounts of data to each drive simultaneously. A single record will span all the drives in the array. So, when you add a drive, it rebuilds that array, redistributing the data among all the available drives, including the one you just added.

When you are replacing one that went bad, depending on the type of array it may be able to use redundant data, or a parity scheme to rebuild the missing drive.

So, when you add a drive, it's redistributing data across the drives, potentially recreating redundancy or parity as it does so (again, depending on the configuration). When you replace a drive, it is going to attempt to rebuild the array, which is an entirely different process as it is not shuffling data on the other drives; it would just be using the data on the remaining good drives to rebuild data on the replaced drive.
Ark03
AG
quote:
quote:
if you're using the proprietary FlexRaid you can just pop in a new HD, so long as it's the same capacity as the others. But this is basically JBOD RAID, which is meh
I was thinking the default for Flexraid simulated RAID-5, not JBOD.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Here's my non-technical attempt at an explanation: If you let it install via the default RAID configuration, it will rebuild the array by moving data around into the RAID scheme. Depending on the type of RAID, you'll have data spread among all the drives: ie it will write tiny amounts of data to each drive simultaneously. A single record will span all the drives in the array. So, when you add a drive, it rebuilds that array, redistributing the data among all the available drives, including the one you just added.

When you are replacing one that went bad, depending on the type of array it may be able to use redundant data, or a parity scheme to rebuild the missing drive.

So, when you add a drive, it's redistributing data across the drives, potentially recreating redundancy or parity as it does so (again, depending on the configuration). When you replace a drive, it is going to attempt to rebuild the array, which is an entirely different process as it is not shuffling data on the other drives; it would just be using the data on the remaining good drives to rebuild data on the replaced drive.
That actually makes sense - thank you.
wee_ag
AG
Another NAS question

What is the actual free space you have available compared to physical drives installed in your NAS? I've got two 1TB drives and one 4TB drive and have 1.81TB of space available. Shouldn't it be closer to 3TB? Is there that much space reserved for OS and NAS files?

Sorry for the ignorance, appreciate the help.
JonLobb
quote:
Another NAS question

What is the actual free space you have available compared to physical drives installed in your NAS? I've got two 1TB drives and one 4TB drive and have 1.81TB of space available. Shouldn't it be closer to 3TB? Is there that much space reserved for OS and NAS files?

1 TB is being used for parity in the RAID setup. If you remount it as a RAID1 array you would have 3TB
kb2001
AG
quote:
Another NAS question

It depends on what your setup is. From your description, it sounds like you have the three drives in a RAID5 configuration. In that case, each drive will have three stripes: 2 for data, one for parity, so you lose 1/3 of disk space for parity. Since your smallest drive is 1TB, that is the most that will be used for any of the drives. You basically have 3 drives using 1TB each. You lose 1/3 for parity, and you're left with 2TB.

The rest comes from a TB being treated as multiples of 1000 bytes (1000^4 for a TB) by the labeling, but multiples of 1024 bytes (1024^4) by the computer. (TB vs TiB). 1000^4 != 1024^4, so you don't quite get 2TiB, you get about 1.81TiB (2,000,000,000,000)

You should mirror the 1TB drives (RAID1) for 1TB of space and leave the 4TB in as a separate volume, or buy 3 more 4TB drives and use RAID5 for ~12TB of space
wee_ag
AG
Yup, it's set-up as RAID5, just have to figure out how to set it as RAID 1 until I can get some more 4TB drive.

Thanks for the noob help!
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
This new CM400 works 100% better. No issues in the 12 hours it has been online.
Same here. I even threw a t-shirt over it to let it heat up and see if it would overheat and no problem. I don't know if there was a hardware issue or software issue. The new one is firmware 1.01.06, the old firmware was 1.01.08. It looks like they had also taken the new modem out of the box and tested it before sending it to me since it has activity in the log file from 10/24.
It was an issue with the PCB that was corrected. glad the new one is working well, thanks for all your patience
pnut02
AG
quote:
It was an issue with the PCB that was corrected. glad the new one is working well, thanks for all your patience

Thanks for the update - still haven't had any problems with the new one since installing.
khkman22
AG
I just signed up for the program yesterday, but I still haven't received a confirmation email that my info was received. Is this just because it's Thanksgiving week? Just unsure how long it takes for the initial response.
La Fours
AG
There isn't one. You will just get an email when they are offering you product to test.
kfoster
How do I sign up? Would love to be a part of this testing group.
adamsbq06
AG
Survey in the OP
kfoster
This is what I get "This survey is currently closed. Please contact the author of this survey for further assistance"
Token
AG
quote:
This is what I get "This survey is currently closed. Please contact the author of this survey for further assistance"
there have been other surveys. You guys are late to the party
khkman22
AG
quote:
quote:
Is it still possible to sign up to be a part of this program?
Yes

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NETGEARFriendsandFamilyProgram
djkyle, try this link (from page 10). It's the one I used, but with no confirmation email, I'm hoping I entered my information correctly and they're still taking sign ups. I guess I will find out with the next product release.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
DJKyle, did that survey link work for you?

Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
I'm hearing that friends and family will get first dibs on the new Arlo review testing. The number of units will be decent, but not huge, so try to act fast if you get the survey. Survey will come out in the next 2 weeks.

Also, and this might not come out in the initial survey, but when the add on cameras are available in January, they will reach out to whoever got the initial systems to test the add on cameras. Call it a Christmas present with a new year's bonus!!
wessimo
AG
Please email me Marynel!!
jbryan10
AG
quote:
Please email me Marynel!!

+1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.