Free tech

452,483 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Mike92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got an invite for a ProSAFE Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Firewall (FVS336G-300NAS). I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on this one. I don't really need this level of capability for my home office.
adamsbq06
AG
VPN... I am sure half of you don't have a need for a VPN router...
SF2004
AG
Hey William1978, I know it isn't your fault but you work for Netgear.

Your company's R8000 3.2Gps router is a grade A piece of ****. The crappy uverse router works a million times better. I might as well set my money on fire, as the two months I have dealt with it puts me past my return window.

TIA.

Again, not your fault but this frustrates me.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Have you used any other routers with your U-Verse gateway that worked well?

I ask because that is generally considered a very good router and as a U-Verse user myself, I have a hard time believing it wouldn't - at the very least - slightly surpass the performance of the build in gateway router.

It wouldn't be too surprising to have a bad setup given that U-Verse isn't the easiest thing to deal with as far as getting things set up to work behind the modem/router combo, which is why I ask if you've ever set one up that worked to your satisfaction. If not, there's a pretty reasonable chance that it is just something in your setup that is causing issues.

Unless you're talking about things like random power cycles or some other obvious flaw.

Token
AG
quote:

Your company's R8000 3.2Gps router is a grade A piece of ****. The crappy uverse router works a million times better. I might as well set my money on fire, as the two months I have dealt with it puts me past my return window.

TIA.

i thought the routers were not for uverse. I know i have comcast and have had zero issues
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Uverse forces you to use their modem but you can use your own routers behind it if you set it up right.
30_Days
AG
quote:

TIA.

i'm fairly certain this is either user error or you got a bad product. The Nighthawk routers are incredible, probably some of the best on the market right now.

What problems are you having? a lot of us have this router or other Nighthawk routers, maybe we can help
ExPLK
AG
quote:
quote:
Got the test unit yesterday. Some initial thoughts....

Setup is super easy. 5 minutes and you are up and running.
Camera video and picture quality seems pretty good.
Web app and mobile app seem reasonable so far. I haven't played with too many of the settings, but it seems to be decent.

The main question I have with the unit so far is the physical security of the cameras themselves. At $150 each, they aren't something you want to be easily taken. The mounting is... interesting, I guess. You are given a magnetic base to mount the camera (See here). This makes it easy to mount and point where you want it to be, but it is also super easy for someone to walk off with the camera. You need it to be somewhat accessible, since you will have to change the batteries at some point.
We are coming out with the security mounting arms in the next 30 days so that the outdoor mounting is more secure.

Hey Travis, do you know when these outdoor mounts are expected to be released?

TIA.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I want to sign up.
Scooley01
AG
Any Nighthawks needing evaluation in the near future? I'm in the market :P
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Got the test unit yesterday. Some initial thoughts....

Setup is super easy. 5 minutes and you are up and running.
Camera video and picture quality seems pretty good.
Web app and mobile app seem reasonable so far. I haven't played with too many of the settings, but it seems to be decent.

The main question I have with the unit so far is the physical security of the cameras themselves. At $150 each, they aren't something you want to be easily taken. The mounting is... interesting, I guess. You are given a magnetic base to mount the camera (See here). This makes it easy to mount and point where you want it to be, but it is also super easy for someone to walk off with the camera. You need it to be somewhat accessible, since you will have to change the batteries at some point.
We are coming out with the security mounting arms in the next 30 days so that the outdoor mounting is more secure.

Hey Travis, do you know when these outdoor mounts are expected to be released?

TIA.
They are on pre-order as we speak. if you order one, you should get it within 3 weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Security-Adjustable-Outdoor-VMA1000-10000S/dp/B00TTLGHSK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425572499&sr=1-4&keywords=arlo
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

TIA.

i thought the routers were not for uverse. I know i have comcast and have had zero issues
A really common setup issue when you are tethering a router to a uverse gateway is DHCP. If both the router and the gateway are acting as routers, then they both will be trying to manage IP addresses and the performance of the router will be diminished significantly.

I have uverse, you just need to set the router up in access point mode. That will solve your problems. Less than .03% of our routers are actually defective.
trueaggie2782
AG
First arlo camera batteries are at 12% today. This only after around 6-7 weeks and only recording an average of 5 min/day.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
First arlo camera batteries are at 12% today. This only after around 6-7 weeks and only recording an average of 5 min/day.
make sure to do the firmware update. It corrects the battery algorithm issue.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

TIA.

A really common setup issue when you are tethering a router to a uverse gateway is DHCP. If both the router and the gateway are acting as routers, then they both will be trying to manage IP addresses and the performance of the router will be diminished significantly.

I have uverse, you just need to set the router up in access point mode. That will solve your problems. Less than .03% of our routers are actually defective.
The other option is to put the additional router into DMZ mode on the U-Verse gateway and let the new router handle your DHCP assignments.

I have mine on a different subnet. Internet devices are on 192.168.2.x handled by my Netgear equipment and TV/phone are on 192.168.1.x handled by the UV gateway.
trueaggie2782
AG
Firmware has been set to auto update so I have to assume it's been the latest.

FW Version : 1.3.2261
System Version : 1.8.0
SF2004
AG
quote:

I will give the access point a shot, why isn't your site/instructions more clear about this? Very difficult to find anything to help.

I don't think the problem is the setup though, it is with the 5Ghz band being unstable and constantly dropping, having to toggle wifi on/of, or even needing to reboot the router.

I have the router hooked up right now but just have the wifi toggled off as I got tired of jacking with it, and then the next day hearing my wife say that the wifi on her ipad/iphone wasn't working again.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
I will give the access point a shot, why isn't your site/instructions more clear about this? Very difficult to find anything to help.

To be fair, the complications are tied to the U-Verse gateway rather than the router. These are all things you can do to get any router working with a U-Verse gateway, so it isn't necessarily an issue with NETGEAR.

I do agree with U-Verse having as big a market share as they do, it would be helpful for companies to have those instructions available.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:
the 5Ghz band being unstable and constantly dropping

You do understand that the 5 Ghz band has limited range compared to 2.4 Ghz, and that not all devices are capable of connecting to the 5 Ghz band? Right? If not, then that could be part of your problem. Otherwise, carry on.
apropo73
Hi William

Any chance to join the Arlo testers team?
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
Hi William

BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Hi William

bigtruckguy3500
Anyone with the c6300 router have an issue with it not turning on after being unplugged for several days? I was out of town and switched off my power strip and now everything is turning on ok except the router. The Ethernet lights on the back all turn on, but nothing on the front. Just checking with y'all before I contact netgear. Thanks

Actually, the power light flashes red once when I turn it on, then it goes faint red that you can barely see. Gonna see what Google turns up.

Google turning up nothing directly related to the C6300, but based off other netgear product manuals and stuff it appears either the adapter isn't providing enough power or something is wrong inside the router.

Am I supposed to e-mail Marynel with problems? Or contact Netgear tech support directly?
Aggietaco
AG
Contact tech support direct but let them know you're a product t&e.
Phil Miller
I thought a new product was being tested and had got my hopes up...
khkman22
AG
Get your hopes up....
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

To be fair, the complications are tied to the U-Verse gateway rather than the router. These are all things you can do to get any router working with a U-Verse gateway, so it isn't necessarily an issue with NETGEAR.

I do agree with U-Verse having as big a market share as they do, it would be helpful for companies to have those instructions available.
We actually just announced at CES a new setup wizard that walks you through setting up a router behind a uverse gateway. We'll keep rolling it out to the other routers as time goes on. It's available now on the R7000.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Can you send me a R7000 to verify on?
uncover&humpit
AG
Got an invite for the Around Town WiFi hotspot.
hph6203
AG
Got an invite for the Readynas 202, says it's for the business f&f, which I didn't sign up for. Have been in the market for a NAS, so I responded.
JeffAggie2012
AG
quote:

Very cool! That is definitely one of the items I was really hoping they would bring to the f&f program. Jealous that I didn't get invited to try this one But hopefully you get it.
ExPLK
AG
quote:
quote:

Very cool! That is definitely one of the items I was really hoping they would bring to the f&f program. Jealous that I didn't get invited to try this one But hopefully you get it.

I agree. Looking forward to hearing how this is.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

Yeah, me too.

Hopefully I get to do the trial - we just switched over from AT&T to cricket and are in need of a mobile hotspot anyhow, so this fills an actual need for us (if selected).

adamsbq06
AG
just got two invites from Marynel... good luck boys...
Krussian09
AG
I got a second survey as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.