Free tech

452,419 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did you use a new program to rip and encode the movies? Or were they downloaded from a different source than previous movies?
Naveronski
AG
With the original survey being long gone, how do we sign up for anything new?
Bregxit
AG
quote:
With the original survey being long gone, how do we sign up for anything new?

If you were already in, you still are in. It's just in a lull at the moment.
Naveronski
AG
I don't believe I was.
Bregxit
AG
Ahh. I don't know the answer then. You'll have to wait for Travis and see if they open it up again.
Naveronski
AG
Fair enough, thank you.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
Did you use a new program to rip and encode the movies? Or were they downloaded from a different source than previous movies?
Burned with the same program, but the bigger issue is that the reorganized movies that already play aren't showing up.
La Fours
AG
Oh I missed that from before. That's not good. Do the old movies still play from the old location on Xbox or iPad? Do they play from the new location on pc?
wee_ag
AG
If I move the movie and try playing it from the old location on the Xbox it does not work. If I move it back it plays. I can play them via PC wherever they are without a problem.
jbryan10
AG
Powerline 1000 (PL1010)
Scooley01
AG
Just got an invite for the Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 router. I've had the AC1900 for over a year and couldn't be happier...I wonder what the newer version has improved on, besides adding a fourth antenna.

Edit: It seems like AC#### refers to speed and not a specific model. The one I was invited to was the R7800, my current router is the R7000.
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:
Powerline 1000 (PL1010)
Same for me - first opportunity I've gotten in a very long time! I figured by this point I had been dropped from the program for some reason.
Ark03
AG
quote:
If I move the movie and try playing it from the old location on the Xbox it does not work. If I move it back it plays. I can play them via PC wherever they are without a problem.
Wee, how are the movies on your NAS indexed? I have Plex installed on mine, and my Roku has Plex app that it uses to find the movie. If I were to just copy a new movie to the NAS (or move a movie) without refreshing Plex, I'd have the same problems you are having. It would need to update the index.

I don't have an xbox, so I'm not sure how it is trying to find the content. I assume it created an index that it uses to find your available movies. I can't imagine that it recreates the list every time you try to access it. I think you need to find a way to force it to refresh that list.

Edit because typos.
Dro07
AG
this thing is still going on? Damn I must suck
aggiewrench
MOst likely it will need a refresh as Ark said.

you can also set Plex so that everytime something is added to the folder it "autorefreshes".
kb2001
AG
Still going

I just received a survey yesterday for R7800 router, hopefully I get selected
mlambert77
AG
Haven't received a survey in a couple of months. I just try to stay patient and wait.
jay040
Are the emails still coming from Ben Pool?
kb2001
AG
quote:
Are the emails still coming from Ben Pool?
Yes, the one yesterday did
irock2513
AG
no emails since early fall. i miss the fun.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Wee, how are the movies on your NAS indexed? I have Plex installed on mine, and my Roku has Plex app that it uses to find the movie. If I were to just copy a new movie to the NAS (or move a movie) without refreshing Plex, I'd have the same problems you are having. It would need to update the index.

I don't have an xbox, so I'm not sure how it is trying to find the content. I assume it created an index that it uses to find your available movies. I can't imagine that it recreates the list every time you try to access it. I think you need to find a way to force it to refresh that list.

Edit because typos.
I only use the Xbox Media Player app. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, removing the Xbox from the network, restarting everything and nothing helps. Re-indexing is probably the answer. No idea how to do that. I'll ask @xboxsupport and see if they have any idea. Thanks for the help
Ark03
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Edit because typos.
I only use the Xbox Media Player app. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, removing the Xbox from the network, restarting everything and nothing helps. Re-indexing is probably the answer. No idea how to do that. I'll ask @xboxsupport and see if they have any idea. Thanks for the help
It seems the common answer for people using a PC is to force Windows Media Player to refresh the index. There are several ways to do this.

But, since you are using a NAS I don't know - it's probably your Mac's fault.

So, I also asked teh google and got another idea:
Does the xbox Media Player access the server through DLNA? If so, check this post: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23069/~/what-is-the-readydlna-streaming-service-and-how-do-i-enable-it-on-my-readynas

Do you have Plex or any other media management program installed, or do you just drop the files in a folder on the NAS and hope for the best? If you haven't already, you may try installing Plex, then use that to manage your media. If the xbox Media Player can see the Plex server, it would almost certainly do better at seeing your new content as you add it and Plex indexes it.

wee_ag
AG
quote:
But, since you are using a NAS I don't know - it's probably your Mac's fault.
POTD
Scooley01
AG
Just got a confirmation that I'm in on the R7800!! Very excited!
Big_Worm
AG
Plex is the tits
kb2001
AG
Boom, just got confirmation for the R7800
old ag 2003
AG
Another confirmed R7800 recipient. I'm stoked because I just moved to a larger house and was about to buy a new wifi router. Amazon listing says it will sell for $269 starting out...not a bad freebie!
Scooley01
AG
quote:
Another confirmed R7800 recipient. I'm stoked because I just moved to a larger house and was about to buy a new wifi router. Amazon listing says it will sell for $269 starting out...not a bad freebie!

Yup! And since my current router is just the older model of the same thing, I can throw the old one on eBay for a decent bit of extra cash.
n_touch
Anyone having any problems with their ReadNas 314? I am using Windows 10 and after he recent update the only way that I can connect to nas is through a web browser. Before I could just go to it through the network are and move files around. I have it connected through our router so that all computers can connect to it. Only the computer with Win 10 can no longer see it.

Also just realized that it will not pick it up through iTunes as well. I remember this happening with an earlier update. I did update the NAS as well today when asked.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Anyone having any problems with their ReadNas 314? I am using Windows 10 and after he recent update the only way that I can connect to nas is through a web browser. Before I could just go to it through the network are and move files around. I have it connected through our router so that all computers can connect to it. Only the computer with Win 10 can no longer see it.

Also just realized that it will not pick it up through iTunes as well. I remember this happening with an earlier update. I did update the NAS as well today when asked.
I had a problem with my Synology NAS after upgrading to Win 10. For some reason it had me logging in under my Windows Live account instead of my local account. This was causing all kinds of problems. Switched back to local and everything worked fine.
Mike92
AG
quote:

I seem to have the same problem, but didn't notice it until you mentioned it. My scheduled backups from the same desktop are working fine, but I can't browse the NAS using File Explorer.
Bregxit
AG
I assume you guys have created user accounts on the NAS that matched what you had for your Windows login before switching to 10?

If so, as I said above, you are possibly logged into Windows under your Live account. If this is not the same as your NAS login, your credentials are not being properly passed.
n_touch
I was signed in through a local account and using the credentials I set up with the NAS. It was always spotty before, but with the latest update it just plain disappeared. I got with support and it took them about 45 min to get it straightened out.

They had to delete the account from the computer and reset it up. Once done they were able to map the drive. I did also see that you can browse through the file system if you had Raidar on your comp. Just open it and go through browse. Here is a link if you any one needs it. NetGear Raidar

I remember they had a problem last year with the same thing and iTunes not syncing. They were able to update it pretty quick.

Add On: Apparently all he did was create a shortcut. It allows for me to get to the files easier, but it is still not coming up under the network tab. It is still not working with iTunes or any of the other programs that stored their files on it.
wee_ag
AG
Just an FYI for anyone with a similar issue as I was having where your devices did not recognize new or changed media in the NAS...

I had to go into ReadyNAS admin page > System > Settings > ReadyDLNA and then click "Rescan". It took a while to re-index everything, but now my devices read all the media properly.
camarolt1guy
If someone wants to give Ben my email and a good word I wouldn't complain I think im getting really close to maxing out my ac1900

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.