Free tech

452,564 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The documentation says they record when movement is detected. Unless there is a time feature I imagine one would be recording quite a bit during the day on any outdoor cams and indoor if you have pets or a spouse who works from home.

This would be interesting to check out.
Ark03
AG
quote:
The documentation says they record when movement is detected. Unless there is a time feature I imagine one would be recording quite a bit during the day on any outdoor cams and indoor if you have pets or a spouse who works from home.

And, that's exactly what I was afraid of (and, it's the only way I can think they'd get 4-6 months life off of any batteries). So, more likely, if it's in a house it could be recording a hundred times the projected amount for battery life - if outside, it could still be recording dozens of times more than Netgear projected, which I find very disconcerting, to the point of false advertising. I guess if that is the case, you just have to make sure you are using it in the way Netgear designed it, which would certainly reduce its usefulness.
Ark03
AG
quote:
Where did you see it uses CR123s? I looked all over those docs and couldn't find any reference to the batteries other than "4-6 months".

And that would suck about not being able to use the NAS if true. I would think NETGEAR would try to get their ReadyNAS users to pick these things up since the RNs have security cam software and apps.

Well, the cameras won't function without the base unit.
quote:
Each base station can support up to four cameras, and Netgear will sell stand-alone cameras for $170 each. The cameras will not function in the absence of a base station.

From http://www.techhive.com/article/2842870/netgear-s-arlo-wireless-security-cameras-to-be-the-foundation-of-a-new-smart-home-platform.html

quote:
The entire system still requires a base station, something the company says is necessary to use ultra low power WiFi, and to work with as wide a range of routers as possible (including ones from competitors). Connecting directly to a router directly would also drain the batteries in two days, the company says.

From http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/5/7161119/netgear-s-arlo-is-a-weatherproof-hd-camera-for-keeping-tabs-on-your

Maybe support is coming in the future? ... or maybe we'll have to buy a new NAS.
quote:
As part of the smart home push, Netgear is introducing a hub to which up to four Arlo IP cameras can connect. Rules can be created for management of smart devices. Currently, the VueZone cameras (like Dropcam) allow for remote viewing, but recording to the cloud requires monthly plans. The new Arlo IP cameras will follow the same route. Fortunately, Netgear does realize that users would like to record to a local NAS. Since they also have the ReadyNAS product line, the Arlo team is definitely thinking about ensuring some sort of interoperability. However, cloud-free operation is not going to be a feature when the units ship to retail in January.

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/8688/netgear-preps-smart-home-push-with-arlo-ip-cameras
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:

And, that's exactly what I was afraid of (and, it's the only way I can think they'd get 4-6 months life off of any batteries). So, more likely, if it's in a house it could be recording a hundred times the projected amount for battery life - if outside, it could still be recording dozens of times more than Netgear projected, which I find very disconcerting, to the point of false advertising. I guess if that is the case, you just have to make sure you are using it in the way Netgear designed it, which would certainly reduce its usefulness.

If it has a time range setting for recording, especially if it is by camera, that would be useful. I think otherwise you would have to get really strategic with placement to avoid extraneous movement from activating them but then you'd have the issue of getting a good angle for identification.

If these got sent out for testing, it would be one hell of a long (or maybe short!) test to verify the battery life claims in real world usage.
Ark03
AG
quote:
If these got sent out for testing, it would be one hell of a long (or maybe short!) test to verify the battery life claims in real world usage.
I'm your Huckleberry.
wee_ag
AG
Fixed link... it's not nearly as exciting as TracerX's though...
2006EE
AG
quote:

It says I don't have access.
Ark03
AG
quote:
quote:

It says I don't have access.
Yeah, I think he tried to post a link to a screenshot or something he has saved on his evernote camera roll, but it's not public and I can't see it either.
TracerX
La Fours
AG
Nice!! Mine is on the FedEx truck for delivery. Can't wait to get home and check it out. Sadly, I will be busy tonight and won't get much done with it until tomorrow.
JonLobb
what size are the hard drives? those look like the new Seagate NAS drives. Confirm?

now I really wish I'd gotten one because I want to compare the seagate and WD nas drives to each other
2006EE
AG
I had it re-routed to Round Rock. I'll give you the IP later and let you use half.
TracerX
quote:
what size are the hard drives? those look like the new Seagate NAS drives. Confirm?

now I really wish I'd gotten one because I want to compare the seagate and WD nas drives to each other
1TB drives. Not NAS, they are ST1000DM003's.
wee_ag
AG
So the NAS was super easy to get installed, and the web interface is pretty nice. Only issue I hit before leaving for work was actually getting a backup scheduled. I'll be trying to log on from work to see if I can get something working.
boboguitar
AG
Should be at my house, can't wait to get home.
La Fours
AG
Mine shows delivered now!! I am excite!!
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
http://www.arlo.com/

so much want
Depends on if those batteries are replaceable. I can't see spending $170 for a new camera every 4-6 months which is what they are spec'd for on battery life.

Also depends on if they are usable with existing NAS devices. I'm not dropping $350 for something my NAS's are designed to do.
They use CR123 or CR123A (rechargeable). We have on our roadmap the ability to backup to our NAS so that you can get off the cloud and have unlimited storage. That's going to be cool if the software engineers can pull that off.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

On that CNET article, it states netgear is basing the 4-6 month claim on users only viewing the camera 4 minutes a day. How does that work? The cameras are still rolling 24/7, right?
The cameras use low-power WIFi and are on demand, meaning they only turn on when they detect motion. That's how we can claim 6 month battery life.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

The GUI has a setting for motion sensitivity. You can turn it all the way down to prevent it from recording rustling leaves or stuff like that. It takes a little playing with, but once you find the right settings, the battery life claims are actually true. I use an older model and I got 12 months of battery out of one of my cameras. it's definitely not meant for 24/7 security, only personal monitoring.
Ark03
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The GUI has a setting for motion sensitivity. You can turn it all the way down to prevent it from recording rustling leaves or stuff like that. It takes a little playing with, but once you find the right settings, the battery life claims are actually true. I use an older model and I got 12 months of battery out of one of my cameras. it's definitely not meant for 24/7 security, only personal monitoring.
Thanks for the info. Netgear may want to carefully consider how they market these, as many systems are set up to record most of the time, and I haven't seen that distinction obviously made clear in the materials available (other than the reviews from other tech sites).

One usage in the Netgear promo video appears to have a couple using the camera as a baby monitor in the baby's room - my baby monitor runs all the time, and I want to be able to look at it any time to see what my kids are up to. If it only turns on with movement, can I turn it on any time? My older kid also plays in his room - if I have this thing in there to see what's going on, it would be running the entire time he's playing, and would suck the battery dry in a hurry.
Bregxit
AG
So let's talk NAS drives.

Western Digital or Seagate? Any informed opinions? It is hard for me to take reviews seriously because they are mostly about DOAs, which happen.

My previous experience leads me toward WD simply because their replacement process is painless. Any technical advantages between the two?
n_touch
I went with the wd drives that came with the first nas. Interested as well to see why the second came with a different drive.
AgDev01
AG

quote:
My previous experience leads me toward WD simply because their replacement process is painless. Any technical advantages between the two?

I am interested as well to hear if there was a reason for the switch from WD to the Seagate.

I haven't looked at the to drives to compare them but based on past experiences with storing recorded TV from my HTPC i have had 2 seagate drives fail in less than a years time while the WD drive i have in there has been worry free after 3 years or so. small sample size but enough for me to prefer WD.

2006EE
AG
NAS up and running and time machine back up running. Really easy.
wee_ag
AG
Agreed, time machine on a Mac was easy to set-up, however, I'm having a really hard time just backing up a couple of specific folders instead of using time machine.

Anyone running on a Mac that can give me some hints? I really just want to backup photos/videos b/c of space constraints.
hurricanejake02
AG
Just got an email for the Powerline Adapter
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
Agreed, time machine on a Mac was easy to set-up, however, I'm having a really hard time just backing up a couple of specific folders instead of using time machine.

Anyone running on a Mac that can give me some hints? I really just want to backup photos/videos b/c of space constraints.
Can't you just set the time machine to exclude everything you don't want backed up? Open up time machine and select the options button at the bottom right. You should be able to add either what you do or don't want backed up.
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
Just got an email for the Powerline Adapter

Same here
Bregxit
AG
Anyone know how to put a trusted certificate on the ReadyNAS?
wee_ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Can't you just set the time machine to exclude everything you don't want backed up? Open up time machine and select the options button at the bottom right. You should be able to add either what you do or don't want backed up.
Yeah, I've got it set-up that way right now - it works fine, but I guess this is more of a 'I want to figure out how to do this' kind of a thing.
Aggietaco
AG
I assume you're looking for an automated solution, since one time is as easy as drag an drop? If so, there are a few apps in the app store. I don't have experience with any of them though. I'm sure some of the Apple homers will have some suggestions for you though.
2006EE
AG
quote:
I assume you're looking for an automated solution, since one time is as easy as drag an drop? If so, there are a few apps in the app store. I don't have experience with any of them though. I'm sure some of the Apple homers will have some suggestions for you though.
Can't get much more automated than TimeMachine. It does it every hour on the hour for you.
Aggietaco
AG
Your reading comprehension skills are lacking.
2006EE
AG
How so? He is asking how to get apple to back up certain files. You said automated.

TimeMachine is as automated as it gets. You can even exclude folders or files.

If you were talking to someone else, then I apologize. But instead of being a dick why not respond with what you meant?
bigtruckguy3500
New CM400 in the mail.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.