Free tech

452,565 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Nobody Knows My Name
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got my Arlo shipping notification!
Scooley01
AG
They'd save a little time and energy if they included a question on the initial survey that asked what service provider we had. Then they could only contact the appropriate folks for the specific service modem projects.
hph6203
AG
Doubt it takes much time to hit a randomizer and send out standard emails. People also change their providers, so while they may not initially have had TWO or Comcast, they may now.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Holy crap, a CM400 and a CM6300 email this week. But I still have U-Verse, so I wait...

Same here.
And here.
Ditto here.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Just answered affirmative to the 6300. If I get it, my cm400 is going bye-bye.
irock2513
AG
I've been using the CM6300 since they sent it last November. solid unit, great speeds, and no performance drops or reboots since the install.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Holy crap, a CM400 and a CM6300 email this week. But I still have U-Verse, so I wait...

Same here.
And here.
Ditto here.
Here.
trueaggie2782
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Same here.
And here.
Ditto here.
Here.

Me as well. Wish I could help but have no intention of giving up Uverse.
kb2001
AG
quote:
I've been using the CM6300 since they sent it last November. solid unit, great speeds, and no performance drops or reboots since the install.
Same here. I've had to reboot it once, but other than that it's been solid. Excellent range on the wireless, which was a problem for us before.
bco2003
AG
For those fortunate enough to receive an invie for the Arlo, what are your initial thoughts on it?

Good video quality? Does it accurately catch and record movement? Range good? Night capabilities good?
wessimo
AG
I suspect you can find their reviews on Amazon
jay040
Got my Arlo system in the mail today - it's setup and running!

I have mine setup to record 30 seconds of video whenever motion is detected during certain hours of the day/night, and you can always checkin via your phone/website to monitor the room. only had it up and running for about 30 mins, but impressed so far.

I don't like that you only get 5GB of storage unless you subscribe for a service.
ExPLK
AG
I am still hoping that I receive a shipping notification sometime this week. Probably wishful thinking, but you never know!
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
I suspect you can find their reviews on Amazon
There's only one so far that I've found and it's not much of a review. Looks like someone just pumped out a few words to be able to fulfill their obligation.
Aggietaco
AG
jay - do you have any of your cameras installed outdoors?
trueaggie2782
AG
Just got mine in this morning but haven't set anything up yet.
jay040
quote:
jay - do you have any of your cameras installed outdoors?

It says they're waterproof, so I've placed one camera on our backyard picnic table. It still gets good reception from inside the house, I'm going to test out the nightvision capability tonight.
Scooley01
AG
The big thing I'm interested in is the long-term battery life...obviously no one will have opinions on that yet, haha.
ExPLK
AG
I second that about the battery life. That seems to be one of the biggest complaints I have read online. Interested to see how long they last.
txag2k
AG
Got mine yesterday and will be setting it up today!
Scooley01
AG
Hey Travis, do you know if the previous round of Arlo invites was the only one for the time being, or might there be more? I've just been checking my email like a hawk, and wondering if it's necessary :P
wessimo
AG
Arlo... The dream is dead. Sigh.

Travis did say the people who got picked initially would likely get sent the expansion camera later.
Big_Worm
AG
quote:
Hey Travis, do you know if the previous round of Arlo invites was the only one for the time being, or might there be more? I've just been checking my email like a hawk, and wondering if it's necessary :P
scrimp
AG
Got the test unit yesterday. Some initial thoughts....

Setup is super easy. 5 minutes and you are up and running.
Camera video and picture quality seems pretty good.
Web app and mobile app seem reasonable so far. I haven't played with too many of the settings, but it seems to be decent.

The main question I have with the unit so far is the physical security of the cameras themselves. At $150 each, they aren't something you want to be easily taken. The mounting is... interesting, I guess. You are given a magnetic base to mount the camera (See here). This makes it easy to mount and point where you want it to be, but it is also super easy for someone to walk off with the camera. You need it to be somewhat accessible, since you will have to change the batteries at some point.
txag2k
AG
quote:
The main question I have with the unit so far is the physical security of the cameras themselves. At $150 each, they aren't something you want to be easily taken.
This is my main concern!
trueaggie2782
AG
quote:

Web app and mobile app seem reasonable so far. I haven't played with too many of the settings, but it seems to be decent.

The main question I have with the unit so far is the physical security of the cameras themselves. At $150 each, they aren't something you want to be easily taken. The mounting is... interesting, I guess. You are given a magnetic base to mount the camera (See here). This makes it easy to mount and point where you want it to be, but it is also super easy for someone to walk off with the camera. You need it to be somewhat accessible, since you will have to change the batteries at some point.
My thoughts exactly. I went and purchased some hard mounts that will attach to the bottom of the camera. I understand the magnetic mounts in terms of mobility for the camera, but I wish they would have included two threaded mounts as well.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:

We are coming out with the security mounting arms in the next 30 days so that the outdoor mounting is more secure.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
The big thing I'm interested in is the long-term battery life...obviously no one will have opinions on that yet, haha.
Here's the deal on the batteries. Engineering discovered a problem with the algorithm that reports the battery gauge on the app. In certain climates, the battery meter will show 10% after a few days. I've been promised that the batteries themselves are fine, but they are working out the interface and hope to have that solved in the next week or two.

I highly suggest that you play with the motion sensitivity and settings. If you have it set to high sensitivity, and set it in an area with a LOT of motion, the batteries will wear down quickly.

Hope you guys like the product!
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
i think there will be more, let me check.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:

One more tip... The motion detection is really good within 10 feet, pretty good within 15 feet, and not very good after 15 feet. Keep that in mind when you are mounting the cameras. I wouldn't put them in a wide open space like a tree-fort pointing into the yard and expect stellar results.
Big_Worm
AG
quote:
quote:
i think there will be more, let me check.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
We are coming out with the security mounting arms in the next 30 days so that the outdoor mounting is more secure.

Good to know. The #1 place I want a camera is at my front door and the camera doesn't do much good if it walks off.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Everyone that is going to get this round of product should have received an email from NETGEAR saying that they are getting the product.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

Good to know. The #1 place I want a camera is at my front door and the camera doesn't do much good if it walks off.
Supposedly these work, if you don't want to wait for us...

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adjustable-Security-Brackets-Surveillance/dp/B000IDBXBO/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421778987&sr=1-5&keywords=arlo
pnut02
AG
quote:
Everyone that is going to get this round of product should have received an email from NETGEAR saying that they are getting the product.
Swing and a miss...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.