Free tech

452,426 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
30_Days
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Meng just said it apparently is supposed to have a third power cable for the US. I am guessing it is sitting wherever they installed the testing HDD and didn't make it back in the box.
it looks like a generic 3 prong power cord though. You probably have one lying around the house somewhere, I know I alway seem to have a half dozen of the things at any given point.
La Fours
AG
Lol. I hope mine doesn't arrive like yours. But I've got spare c13-c14 cables so it shouldn't be a problem.
kb2001
AG
I haven't heard anything from Meng at all
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
Meng just said it apparently is supposed to have a third power cable for the US. I am guessing it is sitting wherever they installed the testing HDD and didn't make it back in the box.
it looks like a generic 3 prong power cord though. You probably have one lying around the house somewhere, I know I alway seem to have a half dozen of the things at any given point.
Yeah. Unfortunately I just recently cleaned out my old parts bin and trashed like 8 of them.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Same here. No emails since January.
aneisch
AG
quote:
Got the RN2120 rackmount NAS in today. Testing has proven difficult so far.

Same here, oops!
bco2003
AG
How many disks and what capacity did they ship with those RN2120s?
aneisch
AG
quote:
How many disks and what capacity did they ship with those RN2120s?

2x 1Tb
La Fours
AG
My RN2120 came with 3 power cords.
aneisch
AG
Showoff.
Bregxit
AG
Meng overnighted a powercord yesterday and it got here this morning. Not a bad NAS, but NETGEAR still can't do SSL certificates right, even in what is supposed to be their business class NAS solutions.

Honestly I cannot tell much of a difference between the RN104, RN314 and the RN2120 other than form factor and some very minor spec differences. They all have the same functionality (and same OS) at the end of the day.
Dro07
AG
MONEY SON!
irock2513
AG
just got a confirmation email that I've been selected for the power line adapter.

First product since the readyNAS from a couple of months ago- I'm pumped!
bco2003
AG
quote:
just got a confirmation email that I've been selected for the power line adapter.

First product since the readyNAS from a couple of months ago- I'm pumped!
+1. Looking forward to testing it too.
wessimo
AG
Yessir!
boy09
AG
Got a confirmation for the powerline adapters too. I hope they're better than that terrible N300 router i got a while back..
wee_ag
AG
DENIED
Mike92
AG
I still haven't heard anything since Marynel left. Oh well, at least I got a few cool products.
bco2003
AG
Travis,

Regarding this Powerline adaptor that is being shipped, can you please seek or provide clarity on why Netgear advertises it supporting 500 Mbps, while the Ethernet port on the device maxes out at 100 Mbps. If the Ethernet port doesn't go beyond 100 Mbps, I don't see how anything related to this device is even theoretically possible of transmitting at 500 Mbps. Seems a little like false advertising to me. Thanks.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/XWNB5221.aspx#tab-techspecs

quote:
Powerline Performance

• 500 Mbps

Number of Ethernet Ports

• One (1) 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port each

Bregxit
AG
quote:
Travis,

Regarding this Powerline adaptor that is being shipped, can you please seek or provide clarity on why Netgear advertises it supporting 500 Mbps, while the Ethernet port on the device maxes out at 100 Mbps. If the Ethernet port doesn't go beyond 100 Mbps, I don't see how anything related to this device is even theoretically possible of transmitting at 500 Mbps. Seems a little like false advertising to me. Thanks.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/XWNB5221.aspx#tab-techspecs

quote:
Powerline Performance

• 500 Mbps

Number of Ethernet Ports

• One (1) 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port each

Obviously it can't. Just like the NETGEAR PL1200 says speeds up to 1200Mbps but it has a gigabit port. It can't achieve those speeds. I, like you, am not sure how they get away with that. My guess is that is the theoretical maximum bandwidth between the adapters themselves.
jay040
I would assume that it can communicate at 500Mbps over the line between the 2 Powerline devices (in a lab environment?) Which is still pointless if it's only taking in the data at 100Mbps. Still kind of shady, but I also only get about 24Mbps down right now...
jg07
AG
Damn. Good catch on the 10/100. I wasn't planning on it maxing out my connection, but was hoping for a bit more. Not that it will really matter for what I'll be using it for.

Gigabit internet problems. <Humble Brag>

wee_ag
AG
Don't even pretend like you guys have interwebs problems...

ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Don't even pretend like you guys have interwebs problems...

My speed tests are usually about 75% of this
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
I still haven't heard anything since Marynel left. Oh well, at least I got a few cool products.

I just got my first email since she left. I too had given up hope.
Pman17
AG
I'm not in the program but my N900 is giving me hell right now!
I'm buying the R7000 right now. My house has too many devices!
It would be nice to get that R8000. That thing looks like a beast!
boy09
AG
They're quick! My power line adapters were waiting at my door when I went home for lunch.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Just got mine as well. Can't wait to test it!
Rule Number 32
AG
MY R7000 is having some pretty big issues. I've been testing it for a week or so, and its been having some pretty big lag spikes about every five minutes. I need to talk to customer service about it, but ive been trying to figure it out on my own. Finally put my comcast modem back on today and lag spikes are gone, so I know its the R7000 having issues.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
OP, I just wanted to say thank you again for bringing this too us. I've gotten to try some awesome products I may never have used otherwise. So far almost everything has been perfect. The only product I had any trouble with was the ProSafe VPN firewall a few months back.
You are welcome. It's mutual!

Sorry about the VPN. We have some R&D going on on that side of our house, so I'm hoping that 2016 will be the year that we up our game with the business products.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Got the RN2120 rackmount NAS in today. Testing has proven difficult so far.

Seriously?!?!?

Geez, did you email Meng about it and did he send you a new adapter?
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Meng overnighted a powercord yesterday and it got here this morning. Not a bad NAS, but NETGEAR still can't do SSL certificates right, even in what is supposed to be their business class NAS solutions.

Honestly I cannot tell much of a difference between the RN104, RN314 and the RN2120 other than form factor and some very minor spec differences. They all have the same functionality (and same OS) at the end of the day.
Glad he's taking care of you.

The big difference should be in the hardware. We are migrating to a one cloud platform as far as the software goes. What else would you like to see in the rackmount or business versions? What is the main issue with the SSL certs?
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I would assume that it can communicate at 500Mbps over the line between the 2 Powerline devices (in a lab environment?) Which is still pointless if it's only taking in the data at 100Mbps. Still kind of shady, but I also only get about 24Mbps down right now...
The devices themselves connect at 500mbps. The WiFi is 300mbps. So in theory, you can connect a WiFi device to use 300 of the 500, and a wired device to use 100mbps. So in total, you'll be able to maximize 400 of the 500 mbps. I agree it's not a perfect scenario, but network speeds are almost always used in this way. For example, our AC3200 router can operate at speeds up to 3200 combined, but one of the radios uses a 4x4 N150 chip that is only accessible by about 1% of the devices on the market today. Because of this the IEEE allows for some latitude regarding advertising. We leverage this to our advantage, as do other manufacturers.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
MY R7000 is having some pretty big issues. I've been testing it for a week or so, and its been having some pretty big lag spikes about every five minutes. I need to talk to customer service about it, but ive been trying to figure it out on my own. Finally put my comcast modem back on today and lag spikes are gone, so I know its the R7000 having issues.
A new firmware was release back in May, did you upgrade to the latest? If you are having issues, email Meng, don't call customer support. We can get you connected to L3 support pretty quickly.
Rule Number 32
AG
Thanks! I will do that this evening. I thought I upgraded the firmware but I will check. It seems to only happen when I connect directly to the R7000 itself. I have it right now running to an AC1900 Nighthawk downstairs since it provides a little better coverage, and I dont get the lag spikes when connected that way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.