Free tech

452,519 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
ExPLK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Just got a survey for the D7000 but I've got cable internet.

Same here. Just received the invitation but I have cable so gonna pass and not complete the survey. Hopefully they give my survey invite to someone who could use and test this product. Good luck folks!
30_Days
AG
Oh I really hope I get this. I've been *****ing about the UVerse gateway for months now, and was itching to get another invite for the Time Warner modem so I could have a good reason to ditch AT&T.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Oh I really hope I get this. I've been *****ing about the UVerse gateway for months now, and was itching to get another invite for the Time Warner modem so I could have a good reason to ditch AT&T.
What's wrong with your U-Verse gateway?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

Why don't you put your modem in DMZ+ or IP Passthrough mode and use whatever router you would prefer?
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:

Why don't you put your modem in DMZ+ or IP Passthrough mode and use whatever router you would prefer?
that's part of the problem. Whenever you put it into DMZ mode it goes to ****

and AT&T doesn't "endorse" using DMZ+ mode, so they literally will not give you any tech support over the phone regarding it.

I'm already using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router, but I have to manually forward any ports I need to use, and I still get trouble from the router.

If I get this modem/router I'll be able to eliminate the gateway, and simply my network.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

and AT&T doesn't "endorse" using DMZ+ mode, so they literally will not give you any tech support over the phone regarding it.

I'm already using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router, but I have to manually forward any ports I need to use, and I still get trouble from the router.

If I get this modem/router I'll be able to eliminate the gateway, and simply my network.

Define "goes to ****". I have had a separate router behind my gateway in DMZ mode for years and have never had an issue. And you don't have to forward ports to your DMZ if you set it up right. Any port forwarding would be set up on the R7000, not the gateway.

Did you set your R7000 up for DHCP and to issue IPs on a different subnet (i.e. 192.168.2.x as opposed to 192.168.1.x)?
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Define "goes to ****". I have had a separate router behind my gateway in DMZ mode for years and have never had an issue. And you don't have to forward ports to your DMZ if you set it up right. Any port forwarding would be set up on the R7000, not the gateway.
when I set up DMZ the network is prone to drop service occasionally, and by occasionally I mean a few times a day.

I'm fully aware of how both DMZ and port forwarding are supposed to work. Right now the only way to create a stable network with the combination of the AT&T RG and the R7000 is to leave the RG in default mode and connected only to the R7000. Any ports that I need forwarded I have to set manually on the RG to forward to the R7000. The R7000 then routes them via UPnP to the device needing them.

The R7000 is on a different subnet than that RG. The RG is 192.168.1.254 and the R7000 is 192.168.2.1 internal, with it's "external" IP address (the one facing the RG) automatically assigned by the RG to something like 192.168.1.5
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

when I set up DMZ the network is prone to drop service occasionally, and by occasionally I mean a few times a day.

I'm fully aware of how both DMZ and port forwarding are supposed to work. Right now the only way to create a stable network with the combination of the AT&T RG and the R7000 is to leave the RG in default mode and connected only to the R7000. Any ports that I need forwarded I have to set manually on the RG to forward to the R7000. The R7000 then routes them via UPnP to the device needing them.

The R7000 is on a different subnet than that RG. The RG is 192.168.1.254 and the R7000 is 192.168.2.1 internal, with it's "external" IP address (the one facing the RG) automatically assigned by the RG to something like 192.168.1.5
If set up properly your R7000 should have your external IP as its main IP address. It should not have a 192.168.1.x address from the gateway. Here are screenshots of mine on the gateway.

30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If set up properly your R7000 should have your external IP as its main IP address. It should not have a 192.168.1.x address from the gateway. Here are screenshots of mine on the gateway.

i know, IF i could put it into DMZ+ mode. BUt whenever I put the RG into DMZ+ mode it causes my connectivity to become unstable.
Bregxit
AG
I'm not sure if it's just the way your are phrasing it since I cannot see your RG; by "put the RG in DMZ mode", you mean you are selecting the R7000 on the firewall/apps page and putting THAT in DMZ mode right? And making sure the R7000 is set up as a router but to receive its IP from the gateway, then rebooting the R7000? The R7000 at that point should receive your external IP as its IP address. If the R7000 has a 192 address on the gateway and is in router mode it will definitely be unstable.

Wish I could look at it to help. I've had three RGs in 8.5 years and none had issues except when I set something up wrong.
30_Days
AG
quote:
I'm not sure if it's just the way your are phrasing it since I cannot see your RG; by "put the RG in DMZ mode", you mean you are selecting the R7000 on the firewall/apps page and putting THAT in DMZ mode right? And making sure the R7000 is set up as a router but to receive its IP from the gateway, then rebooting the R7000? The R7000 at that point should receive your external IP as its IP address. If the R7000 has a 192 address on the gateway and is in router mode it will definitely be unstable.

Wish I could look at it to help. I've had three RGs in 8.5 years and none had issues except when I set something up wrong.
yes, all of those things exactly as you described. When I put chose the router for DMZ mode, after everything reboots the admin page in the R7000 will show it's external IP address as 97.x.x.x or something to that effect.
Bregxit
AG
Are all of the following true?

On RG:
R7000 IP address shows the external IP

On R7000:
Internal IP is 192.168.2.x
Set to router mode/DHCP server

What kind of instability are you talking about exactly?
2006EE
AG
When I did mine I would lose service 2-3 times per day.

Switched back to the ATT only and it works great.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I dunno - I switched the 2Wire at my previous place to DMZ+ and had it that way for something like 6 years and rarely had any trouble at all.

At our new place I just got it set up that way, so I can't speak to the stability of the Motorola gateway.
Bregxit
AG
30/2006,

Did either of you try a factory reset on the RG? I've read that can clear up issues sometimes.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
I dunno - I switched the 2Wire at my previous place to DMZ+ and had it that way for something like 6 years and rarely had any trouble at all.

At our new place I just got it set up that way, so I can't speak to the stability of the Motorola gateway.

Same except I've had it for 8. The only RG problem I have had was one got killed by a lighting strike on the house two doors down from us. It was fine prior, its replacement was fine and the new one we got in our current house has been fine. Full advertised bandwidth up and down, no downtime.
2006EE
AG
AT&T told me if you do that on their new ones they won't work and I would have to have them replace it.

Perhaps they lied but I just gave up.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
AT&T told me if you do that on their new ones they won't work and I would have to have them replace it.

What's the model?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

Really? They installed mine last week and last night I set up IP passthrough and all is well. This is the nvg599 by Motorola.

They won't support you, but I would say that if there is something you can do through the UI of the device that would brick it, they likely should lock it down or not use that device.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:

Really? They installed mine last week and last night I set up IP passthrough and all is well. This is the nvg599 by Motorola.

They won't support you, but I would say that if there is something you can do through the UI of the device that would brick it, they likely should lock it down or not use that device.

I'm guessing support was full of it. I can find plenty of posts on the Uverse forums from people whomfactory reset their Motorola RGs.
2006EE
AG
The guy also didn't know that I had to remove the battery to do an unplug style reset. So maybe he was just dumb.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Probably - our guy was awful. Took him 4 hours to get the modem hooked up and included him talking about how this was his 4th job by himself and telling my wife he was going to kill time so they didn't give him another job before lunch.

This was after another guy showed up but had been pulled off our job while driving and just stopped to say the other guy was on his way and it should be a super simple job.
Kampfers
AG
Anyone else having issues with the r6400? I simply can't connect to the Internet. On my windows 8.1 pc im connecting via Ethernet and receiving the unidentified network/Ethernet not connected error. On my Mac laptop, I can connect to the wifi but not to anything beyond that. Both windows troubleshooting and the Netgear genie app were unable to resolve any issues.

Haven't had as much time to tinker with it as I would normally like because the AC is broken at my apartment so I've been limiting my time there, but Ive tried basically every Google-able fix and none have worked.

Ideas?
uncover&humpit
AG
I cant get my R6400 to connect to the internet either. I went through tech support, updated the firmware, went through the genie app, and tried to manually set up, all with no success. The tech support guy says it could be a bad WAN port. I emailed Meng to see where to go from here, maybe they'll send out another unit to test. I don't want to leave a bad review, but not only didn't it connect to the internet, one of the antennas was loose / broken upon arrival. Hopefully I can get it figured out and leave an accurate review based on testing the product whe it actually works.
kb2001
AG
I got the R6400, and I was able to get it working. I had a bit of trouble initially, but I thought it was because I had originally connected it with my C6300 still in router mode. I switched that to modem only, reset the R6400, hooked everything up again, and it has worked like a charm since then.

Try to reset it. I noticed when you first connect to it it searches for other routers on the network, so if you have something else on the network that may have put it in a weird state
wee_ag
AG
Two invites today!

AC1900 Nighthawk
AC750 WiFi Range Extender
ExPLK
AG
I got another invite for the AC1900 (second one). This time it said "If you have DSL..." I wonder how many people tried to get it only to find out that it was specific to DSL?
keysercade
AG
Initially my r6400 worked perfectly, I posted my review and thought I was good... then it went to hell. I couldn't connect any additional devices to the wireless and when I installed and launched the genie to try and fix it, it showed 300+ devices. Then my main computer lost connection and after a dozen resets/reboots I gave up and went back to my old router...
keysercade
AG
got picked for the wifi extender... hopefully better luck here.
wee_ag
AG
Also got accepted for the extender.
tx.agg.96
AG
quote:
got picked for the wifi extender... hopefully better luck here.
flintdragon
AG
Lots of invites rolling out.

I got the powerline adapters, was denied the business NAS, I declined on two routers (dsl) and just got picked for the business class switch.
92_Ag
AG
double post.
92_Ag
AG
Some of you are lucky!
Token
AG
got selected for the wi-fi extender!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.