Free tech

452,415 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
You guys are incredible. so here's the deal...

90 of you signed up for the program. We had 40 NAS to dole out. that's why some of you did not hear back. And I know some of you replied quickly. I'm sorry if you didn't get one. Due to the level of "interest" I have called a meeting in 2 weeks to discuss how we can throw more product at this program in general so that we can feed the wolves (that's you). so don't get discouraged, we are going to address supply and demand.

The fedex stuff will get corrected. we're on it. that whole mishap was just weird.

I'm still going to PM anyone that PM'd me, but for those of you who don't have that function, just know that your name is on the list.

Man - you guys (you & your company) are awesome.

Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Thanks Jonlobb, you aren't the first one to ask us why we did that.
JonLobb
quote:
Thanks Jonlobb, you aren't the first one to ask us why we did that.
It's only an inconvenience until my NAS arrives. The reviews I read prior to buying showed a HUGE difference between the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 performance with ReadySHARE, so naturally I want my network HDD attached to the faster port. It's just unsightly with it being in the front.

I really do like having one on the front, much more convenient for using with flash drives than the rear USB port on my last router.

I considered the Nighthawk X4, but the side mounted USB 3.0 ports aren't convenient for either purpose!
third
AG
Looks like mine is going to Collierville, TN because it just arrived in Memphise. Tracking said it was going to Collierville, TX. I'm in Temple.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
we got in touch with fedex and they supposedly are fixing everything. So I'm guessing stuff will get re-routed. If it doesn't get re-routed, then we'll move to plan C.

Although I will be thoroughly amused when some boob from TN calls NETGEAR and says thanks for the black toaster.
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:
Although I will be thoroughly amused when some boob from TN calls NETGEAR and says thanks for the black toaster.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
Looks like mine is going to Collierville, TN because it just arrived in Memphise. Tracking said it was going to Collierville, TX. I'm in Temple.

Memphis is a FedEx hub.
dubi
AG
Marynel, the "intern", just emailed me and said any address problems have been corrected with Fedex.

I think we can all rest easy this weekend!!!!!!!!!
FreeLunch
AG
quote:
Wait - so we're not getting a black toaster? I was all excited at doing 4 pieces of toast at a time.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
Wait - so we're not getting a black toaster? I was all excited at doing 4 pieces of toast at a time.
put a pair of old WD hard drives in offset bays and you could probably toast bread between them
Jason_Ag98
AG
My package still shows the wrong destination city but it is in Austin (where I live) and scheduled for delivery on Monday. Looks like all is indeed well.
Absolute
AG
Looks like I got in in time as well. Destination is also wrong, but scheduled for Monday.

Question on the review it asks for on Amazon. Kind of feel like we should disclose that we got it for free to evaluate. What is the policy of the program on this? Feel like I will be able to do a good comparison since I recently purchased a Synology NAS that I am not overly impressed with and left a review to that effect.
dubi
AG
I would disclose in the review that "I received a free evaluation unit".
agfox06
AG
I've got a NAS review unit on the way, should be here by Monday says FedEx. Idid want to clarify something on this though... I didn't know if these were units for us to keep or to just kinda review and send back. Either way, I'm excited to try it out but I just want to be in the know if I integrate it into my whole ecosystem.
Thanks again though!!

Bregxit
AG
quote:
I've got a NAS review unit on the way, should be here by Monday says FedEx. Idid want to clarify something on this though... I didn't know if these were units for us to keep or to just kinda review and send back. Either way, I'm excited to try it out but I just want to be in the know if I integrate it into my whole ecosystem.
Thanks again though!!

Hopefully your attention to detail when reviewing is better than it is to this thread.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
The package will have instructions on how to post the review and yes, you are required to disclose that (and the initial e-mail indicates that).

But I don't think you put it in the description - Amazon has a way you specify that and it will put it next to the title of your review in highlighted text so that folks understand that you received the demo product.
tlepoC
AG
I'm assuming the quality of review will help determine future opportunities to receive products.

William,

I have most recently been looking at a NAS for PLEX purposes. But it looks like Netgear is marketing this more on the data security/cloud storage side. While I would also like to use this device for these purposes, due to my recent interests and the quick review turn-around they seem to be desiring, I was likely going to focus my review on using the device as a PLEX server (unfortunately without transcoding).

Do you think the company is more interesting in seeing reviews focused more on data and less on media services?
ExPLK
AG
William,

I replied to the OP request but wasn't selected. I also replied to the secondary link you provided on page 4 of this thread. I am hopeful I will get selected to participate in the second round. Even if I don't, thanks for doing this...very cool!
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
I think most of the questions have been answered here, but I wanted to point out that your opportunities to review in the future have nothing to do with how you rate a product. Also re: plex question, you should write the review based on how you use the product, and plex is one of the things we do, so if you want to write about that, go ahead. Finally, all of the instructions related to above questions are addressed via 2 letters that come with the product. One is a review guide and the other is instructions.
JonLobb
TOMORROW!! I'm so excited.
pnut02
AG
lol @ this thread. It certainly blew up over the weekend. Count me in as one that is showing different cities. Destination showing as Spicewood, TX, but as of this morning:

[table]9/29/2014 - Monday
7:54 amOn FedEx vehicle for delivery
HOUSTON, TX[/table]

Anyways, thanks william for the chance to review this stuff.
JonLobb
[table]7:49 amOn FedEx vehicle for deliveryADDISON, TX[/table]

iiit's comiiiing!

I almost worked from home today because of this. I will probably duck out early today.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Yeah, Fedex definitely appears to have the right address, even if they have them labeled wrong.
dubi
AG
Just to be safe, I had put a "hold" on my package at the CS facility.

I just received a call from my local Fedex asking why my package city said Kingwood and my address was CS. I think the correction never got applied to my package, but it does not matter. I told them I would pick it up at lunch.
Bregxit
AG
Dubi gonna be on the no-fly list now!
third
AG
Mine was just delivered to my house.
ABKitch
AG
Mine says on the vehicle for delivery to Littleton, CO...the FedEx site has said Hempstead, CO (doesn't exist)...and I live in Wheat Ridge, CO.

So who knows.
dubi
AG
quote:
Dubi gonna be on the no-fly list now!

The quantity of guns and ammo we own means were already on multiple Obama lists........
kb2001
AG
Mine's in Denver, on truck for delivery today

Getting pumped
dubi
AG
Got it!
ABKitch
AG
Haha...mine says "DELIVERED - Hempstead, CO"

Thanks again, Travis, sorry I ever doubted you, Netgear, or the fine people at FedEx.
JonLobb
can somebody who's gotten it please post the make and model of the included HDD so I can pick up an extra on the way home?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Mine said it was going to Wheat Ridge, CO but looks to be out for delivery in Rockwall (where I live).

Sorry ABKitch - you aren't getting mine after all
ABKitch
AG
Aggie71013
AG
I got mine installed and setup in about 15 minutes. Now I'm transferring my media files and going to see what this thing is capable of doing!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.