Free tech

452,486 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
New CM400 in the mail.
Same here.
Rule Number 32
AG
Me too. excited to try it out!
wee_ag
AG
Wow... some testy people in the nerdery today.

It's a little convoluted to use Time Machine to back-up only a couple of folders, excluding everything but a couple of things is backwards to what logic tells me I should be doing. The issues comes down to the ReadyNAS not being user-friendly with OS X. I've seen people go as far as typing commands in Terminal to make share folders readable by the NAS. I should be able to share a couple of folders and select them with the ReadyNAS software, but I can't (at least not that I can easily find). Time Machine is a good alternative, but the core of the included software seems broken, at least when using on a Mac.
bco2003
AG
Can you make a nfs mount to the NAS, then use rsync in a cron job to do the backups?
Bregxit
AG
Got my answer about SSL certs. You cannot install a cert from a trusted CA on the RN31400. That seems like a major oversight for a so-called business class NAS.
aneisch
AG
quote:
You cannot install a cert from a trusted CA on the RN31400

You obviously just need to instruct your users to accept self-signed certs.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Got an e-mail about 2:00 this afternoon that the Powerline Adapter is being delivered!
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:

You obviously just need to instruct your users to accept self-signed certs.

Yeah Netgear's tech support said that. I laughed and told them they should remove the "business class" label.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
quote:

You can't triple stamp a double stamp.
bco2003
AG
quote:
Got an e-mail about 2:00 this afternoon that the Powerline Adapter is being delivered!

I received the survey email for the powerline adaptor and I immediately completed it, but no shipping notification yet. Same thing has happened for the NAS, a mid-range router, and now this powerline adaptor. They get my hopes up, then tear 'em down.
dubi
AG
4 x 3TB WD Red - today only for $400 on Newegg
n_touch
I did that deal the last time they offered and ended up having to send them back. Two of the drives would not sync when setting up the raid.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

No idea what you are trying to say.
Ag2011
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No idea what you are trying to say.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
As promised, here is the NAS announcement. The is available for download today. Enjoy all the new features!!

There should be some videos posting soon to show off the functionality. The auto backup and new sync app for PC's should be cool.

NETGEAR'SNEW READYNAS OPERATING SYSTEM OFFERS INDUSTRY-LEADING 5 LEVELS OF DATA
PROTECTION

ReadyNASOS 6.2 offers exciting new safeguards and usability features for home storage,
including first-of-its-kind auto-backup and sync app for PCs

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2014/11172014_New_ReadyNas_Operating_System.aspx

jbryan10
AG
Been eagerly anticipating this announcement! Excited about the updates and will continue waiting/hoping the arlo comes out in this program...
Bregxit
AG
Now if we could just get them to address SSL certs for the "business class" NASs....I have asked level 2 to escalate my ticket to engineering to find out if there is still a way to manually put a cert in place through SSH shell. Based on my research it appears you used to be able to do that but the change to apache2 made the old method obsolete.
pnut02
AG
quote:
As promised, here is the NAS announcement. The is available for download today. Enjoy all the new features!!

There should be some videos posting soon to show off the functionality. The auto backup and new sync app for PC's should be cool.

PROTECTION

ReadyNASOS 6.2 offers exciting new safeguards and usability features for home storage,

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2014/11172014_New_ReadyNas_Operating_System.aspx

FYI the first link in the press release goes to a "page not found". Check the last slash "/" in
http://www.netgear.com/readynas/
pnut02
AG
This new CM400 works 100% better. No issues in the 12 hours it has been online.
JonLobb
quote:

PROTECTION

what am I missing? I clicked "check for updates" in the admin screen on the NAS and it says I'm running the latest version (6.1.9)
n_touch
I found this on the update, but have not found a way to download the new software. Looks like some pretty cool stuff.

Ready Nas 6.2 Information
TracerX
Still says coming soon on the ReadyNAS homepage.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
Same here. I even threw a t-shirt over it to let it heat up and see if it would overheat and no problem. I don't know if there was a hardware issue or software issue. The new one is firmware 1.01.06, the old firmware was 1.01.08. It looks like they had also taken the new modem out of the box and tested it before sending it to me since it has activity in the log file from 10/24.
pnut02
AG
quote:
quote:
Same here. I even threw a t-shirt over it to let it heat up and see if it would overheat and no problem. I don't know if there was a hardware issue or software issue. The new one is firmware 1.01.06, the old firmware was 1.01.08. It looks like they had also taken the new modem out of the box and tested it before sending it to me since it has activity in the log file from 10/24.
The old one I had was on version 1.01.06 (same with the new). I'm thinking it was more of a hardware issue.
Rule Number 32
AG
Mine is working much better as well. Very happy with the new CM400.
ABKitch
AG
Still confused about the 6.2 update... Travis, you said the update should be available now, but as others have mentioned, we can't seem to update or find a link to the new download.

I didn't see anything in the press release about this affecting the Plex App as well, but in case anyone else needs to do this, I have some info... I manually updated the app this weekend (because my new Google Nexus Player was not compatible with older versions, and everything I've read leads me to believe an update from Plex is not coming anytime soon...), by connecting to the NAS and uploading the file(s) directly.

I had to download the SSH client "PuTTY" to connect, and then based on some others' comments I read in the Plex forums, I upgraded the app incrementally, first from 0.9.7.xxxx to 0.9.9.xxxx then to 0.9.10.xxxx and finally to the current version 0.9.11.xxxx. This may have been overkill, but it sounded like it was the safe route and really didn't take very long to do it (30-45 seconds per version?)

Now the version still shows the old version number in the NAS admin page, but when I log into Plex I'm seeing the correct current version. And it works with my Nexus Player!

Here is the link from the Plex forums that provided me the basic information for this process: http://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/88187-how-to-update-plex-on-a-readynas-102104/

Let me know if anyone wants to try it and needs any help!
hurricanejake02
AG
Looks like a new batch of CM400's going out... but I'm on UVerse, so I'll have to pass.
La Fours
AG
quote:
Looks like a new batch of CM400's going out... but I'm on UVerse, so I'll have to pass.
I got an email as well. But I have Verizon DSL so I just deleted it.
JonLobb
quote:
same :-(

I get so excited when I see Marynel's name in my inbox, but last 2 times it's been modems I can't use.
wessimo
AG
Ditto. Still waiting for the home monitoring cam.
kb2001
AG
I got an email for the CM400 as well. I just got the C6300 a couple weeks ago and am going to keep that though.

Aggietaco
AG
Got an e-mail about the CM400 as well. Don't expect many differences between it and the Motorola SB6141 I'm currently using, but I'm interested to see if I have any issues, assuming I'm selected.
Mike92
AG
Has anyone received an email including the link to review the RN31400 on Amazon yet? I don't mind spending more time with the product before posting a review, but I assume Netgear wants the review fairly soon.

Token
AG
Got an email for the cm4000 but I already received it in the mail a month ago
Bregxit
AG
quote:

+1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.