Free tech

452,429 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Dang, never got the notification. Guess I missed this round.
Yup, I haven't seen anything since September last year. Still have my fingers crossed for some Arlo love before I go out and buy one or a competitor. Still had a good run though.
BEaggie08
AG
If anyone is willing to sell an Orbi set or Arlo at a healthy discount, I may be interested.
Vade281
AG
Let me know when you get it!
Bregxit
AG
jr281 said:

Let me know when you get it!
I got the RBK43 which is the one I needed for my house. I will be keeping it unless it sucks...in which case you may not want it either.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TBH, I could not figure out what the Up app was for. It basically just walked me through the initial setup. Even when I clicked to go to the genie app it just took me to a place to download it even though I already had it. The only thing it might be useful for is updating firmware, but you have to be able to log in to the router for basic things like SSID and password setup, so updating firmware from there is no big deal.
pnut02
AG
The way I figured it, the Up app was a way to get connected to the router, then it hands off to the Genie app.
ABATTBQ11
AG
It never actually handed me off to the genie app. It just directed me to a download even though I already had it. Who needs an app to get connected to the router?
pnut02
AG
Technology illiterate
Ark03
AG
I just finished my review of the Orbi RBK30 (3500 square feet model). I kept all original packaging, and it has been reset to factory settings. Send me a PM or email (in profile) if interested in purchasing at a healthy discount.

SOLD
ExPLK
AG
You are selling your Orbi? I found that it was incredible in my tests. I did a side by side comparison against the Nighthawk X10 and it obliterated it.

Just a little surprised that you wouldn't keep it as your primary router.
htxag09
AG
Anyone have any issues with their computer, Mac, not getting internet with the Orbi? Our Orbi is great and works with all our other devices, including apple tv, iphones, and a macbook, but for some reason our desktop mac computer will connect to it but not have internet???
Ark03
AG
ExPLK said:

You are selling your Orbi? I found that it was incredible in my tests. I did a side by side comparison against the Nighthawk X10 and it obliterated it.

I tested the Orbi alongside my existing router, the Netgear X4. Speed and consistency were comparable within the house, but the Orbi had better coverage, especially as I went outside or to the garage. I could have replaced it, but I was happy with my current router and wasn't digging the idea of pulling it out and fully configuring a new router for all my devices and preferences.

I may eat my words if my existing router craps out in the next year, but I was happy enough with it I didn't see the need to upgrade.
BEaggie08
AG
Ark03 said:

ExPLK said:

I tested the Orbi alongside my existing router, the Netgear X4. Speed and consistency were comparable within the house, but the Orbi had better coverage, especially as I went outside or to the garage. I could have replaced it, but I was happy with my current router and wasn't digging the idea of pulling it out and fully configuring a new router for all my devices and preferences.

I may eat my words if my existing router craps out in the next year, but I was happy enough with it I didn't see the need to upgrade.
I've got like 3 or 4 routers (a couple of X4s) laying around from this program if you need one in the future. My coverage was spotty upstairs and on the other side of my house. I swear my office is like a damn Faraday cage.

I'm currently running AT&T's modem/router combo with GigaPower. I'll use both Orbis as satellites to that (one upstairs and one in the master bedroom).
Ark03
AG
Nice. Let me know how it works out!
DivotMaker80
AG
Ganondorf said:

I received no shipping notices but Ben contacted me saying I should have received the router and I never did. I sent him that info and haven't heard back.
I sent Ben a note and welcomed me to the program and sent me the survey which I completed over two weeks ago and he said he would find me an X10 or Orbi system to use and review.

No notifications and can't get Ben to respond to emails asking questions.

How long after survey completion do you guys get shipping notices and do emails to Ben ever get a response after getting in the program?

Thanks in advance.....
Ganondorf
AG
That ship sailed for both of us. He told me the same and I never heard back after emailing him again.
ExPLK
AG
Can you please let me know how that setup is? I've got TWC/Spectrum and over the last few months they have gone to complete crap.

I'm thinking of switching to AT&T gigapower and run it with my Orbi system but I want someone to give me a positive experience before I sign a 12 month contract.
DivotMaker80
AG
ExPLK said:

Can you please let me know how that setup is? I've got TWC/Spectrum and over the last few months they have gone to complete crap.

I'm thinking of switching to AT&T gigapower and run it with my Orbi system but I want someone to give me a positive experience before I sign a 12 month contract.
I had been a Comcast user for 20+ years and was on a 100 MBPS Down/6 MBPS Up program running about $80/month. Had good service and few complaints.

Finally decided to give AT&T a shot as combining the Gigapower to my DirecTV account had some savings of roughly $70/month between the two. On top of this, I signed up for $70/month for Gigapower for one year, so I decided to give it a go.

I've had the service for 3 weeks and could not be more pleased. I am getting 900MBPS Down and 900MBPS up out of the modem. My current bottle neck is my Netgear X6 3200 Nighthawk router and my EX7000 Nighthawk extender. I am getting 400 MBPS in the same room as the router in 5Ghz mode and 100-150 MBPS in 2.4 Ghz mode in same room.

My office is about 35 feet from the router and my PC is wired to the extender and I get 320 MBPS down and 400MBPS up, but in order to maintain this I am having to reboot both the router and extender every few days to maintain said performance.

This is why I am looking into the X10 Nighthawk or the Orbi RBK50/53 to achieve better performance since my router in in my Family room and can't get it closer to my office, not to mention my son has a PC upstairs directly above my office.

I am pleased with Gigapower to this point.

Hope that helps.
BEaggie08
AG
ExPLK said:

Sure thing.

I had TWC/Spectrum until July last year. Spectrum took over and started raising prices. They refused to go down, so I dumped them for AT&T. I had 200 Mbps with Spectrum that had gone up $75/mo and, according to them, was going to go up again three months later. I now have 1 Gbps with AT&T for $70/mo. I haven't had any outages that come to mind, but my router/modem is my office in the front corner of my house and it doesn't make out to the rest of the home very well. I'm really hoping Orbi can finally break through and provide strong consistent signals to rest of the house. I'll report back next week.
ExPLK
AG
Thank you both for the response. I think I am going to make the switch. I had been pleased with the 100mb down plan but a few months ago, the inconsistency started. Even with the Nighthawk X10 and the Orbi system, the speeds fluctuate like crazy. From 100 to 5 to 40 to 25 to 80. Just horrible.

The have sent out a technician 2x but fail to send out the guy who can fix the tab in the back of house where the problem exists. I am thinking that if I switch to AT&T, I won't get anywhere close to the promoted 1gb speeds but if I can get 300+ consistently on my wireless devices, it would be worth it for me.

It's been hard to get a valid data point as most that have the gigapower service don't have a router like the X10 or Orbi system. I've also heard of inconsistencies with the gigapower service but the fluctuations are all above 100mb down, which is much better than what I am getting now. My wife and I couldn't even watch Netflix last night (which pissed me off).
DivotMaker80
AG
Ganondorf said:

That ship sailed for both of us. He told me the same and I never heard back after emailing him again.
Starting to think the same thing.

Sent Ben an email initially and he responded in minutes welcoming me to the program. I replied to the survey and then sent him some clarifying information about my current network and square footage. He said he was going to see if he could find an X-10 or an Orbi system to send to me. Sent him a couple more emails asking some valid questions and zero response to any of them.

I was really looking forward to the program, but it looks as if you and I have been duped.
BEaggie08
AG
Okay...So, I got the Orbi in and unboxed. It's nice hardware, but there isn't much support literature included.

I attempted to plug everything in the way I want it, but didn't have any luck getting connected. This is how I want it to work:

• AT&T Modem/Router in the office
  • Orbi Router (acting as AP) in the Kitchen
  • Orbi satellite upstairs
  • All on the same SSID

I couldn't advance within the app without the Orbi being connected to the internet. I eventually just connected to the AT&T modem/router and disabled the Wifi on the AT&T router. Then I ran setup through a web browser. I'm getting good range, but not as good as I would get if I could get it working the way I want it.

My first stab was kind of rushed after work on Friday. Then I woke up at 1:30 in morning and couldn't go back to sleep. That's when I got it working. It was kind of a hectic weekend and I had a lot going on. I'll circle back around and try my ideal setup again when I have some free time, and report back.
Ark03
AG
BEaggie08 said:

Okay...So, I got the Orbi in and unboxed. It's nice hardware, but there isn't much support literature included.

I attempted to plug everything in the way I want it, but didn't have any luck getting connected. This is how I want it to work:

• AT&T Modem/Router in the office
  • Orbi Router (acting as AP) in the Kitchen
  • Orbi satellite upstairs
  • All on the same SSID

I couldn't advance within the app without the Orbi being connected to the internet. I eventually just connected to the AT&T modem/router and disabled the Wifi on the AT&T router. Then I ran setup through a web browser. I'm getting good range, but not as good as I would get if I could get it working the way I want it.

My first stab was kind of rushed after work on Friday. Then I woke up at 1:30 in morning and couldn't go back to sleep. That's when I got it working. It was kind of a hectic weekend and I had a lot going on. I'll circle back around and try my ideal setup again when I have some free time, and report back.
Huh. That should be doable. I found the manual online which answered most of my questions, but you may have already been through that: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

It describes how to set it up as an access point on page 83.
BEaggie08
AG
Yeah, I did. I followed those directions. Then when I disconnected from the Ethernet cable at the router and took it to the kitchen...nada. I just got a flashing purple light.
hph6203
AG
Are you trying to set up the Orbi Router as an access point (has to be hard wired) or as a repeater (connected to an access point via Wi-Fi)? If you're trying to connect the Orbi router as a repeater you're not going to be successful. You likely already have the Orbi set up as an access point in its current configuration, or you have both the modem and Orbi set up as routers, which is going to confuse the network.
TexAgsAnon
Curious if anyone in here has any interest in buying a 6 cam original model Arlo setup. Our new house is not very conducive to putting these outdoors.
ExPLK
AG
Setup AT&T gigapower and Orbi. Using AT&T modem and disabled the AT&T wireless signal. Then hooked up the Orbi router to one of the AT&T modems Ethernet ports and am using the Orbi satellites as designed. Works great.

Speeds seem to fluctuate but nothing under 100mb down wirelessly in or around the house.
DivotMaker80
AG
DivotMaker80 said:

Ganondorf said:

Starting to think the same thing.

Sent Ben an email initially and he responded in minutes welcoming me to the program. I replied to the survey and then sent him some clarifying information about my current network and square footage. He said he was going to see if he could find an X-10 or an Orbi system to send to me. Sent him a couple more emails asking some valid questions and zero response to any of them.

I was really looking forward to the program, but it looks as if you and I have been duped.
Well, Ben finally got in touch with me and is sending me the Orbi RBK30-100NAS system as that is all they had left and would send me something better when they release new hardware later this year.

I will have to get the RBS50-100NAS AC 3000 add on satellite to have enough Ethernet connections for my PC and I realize I won't get the top speed of this satellite as it will default to the speed of the router which is AC2200. I would get the cheaper AC 2200 satellite, but I have Best Buy gift cards and credit that I will go ahead and use towards this system.

Anxious to see how much faster this is than my X6 AC 3200 Nighthawk router and EX7000 AC 1900 wifi extender with AT&T Gigapower.....
Rule Number 32
AG
Well, my Netgear Nighthawk modem that I've been using from this program for the last two years finally crapped out last night.

Everything was working fine, and the LAN ports just completely died for some reason. The Wifi still works just fine, but I need the LAN outputs to distribute the network through my ethernet port to my office. Sad day. It was fun having a free modem for so long!

I guess I'll probably end up ordering a new Netgear router just to pay back the freebie from the last couple of years.
jbryan10
AG
The program is still alive!

I just filled out a survey for the Arlo Go:
http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-go/default.aspx
Aggietaco
AG
I'll be interested in your reviews for jobsite security potential. Let me know how it goes.
TexAgsAnon
Are they providing you LTE service as well?
jbryan10
AG
Doesn't specifically mention it in the email/survey, but I would assume so (at least for like a month or something)
flintdragon
AG
got the invite as well...

what's the use case for this though? when I go camping?
Aggietaco
AG
jbryan10 said:

Doesn't specifically mention it in the email/survey, but I would assume so (at least for like a month or something)
They have an Arlo branded LTE service as well with a limited amount of recording minutes per month. I'm assuming they'll provide that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.