Free tech

452,420 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
JonLobb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got an email for the WNR2020 wifi router

I'm passing though, as I'm already using a Nighthawk R7000. I don't know if accepting products hurts or helps you chances of being considered for the next one though.

Maybe Travis can answer this. Would Netgear rather have people who they can count on to write reviews, or spread the free products around to as many people as possible?
kb2001
AG
Just got an email for the WNR2020 wifi router

I hope I'm selected, this is good timing. My current setup is getting a bit old, and my WAP is starting to fail. I have to power cycle it about every 4-5 days
kb2001
AG
So, I got my drives in from newegg today. I removed the existing drive, and put in the 4 new ones, and the device did a factory reset. Has this happened to anybody else? It's not a big deal, just curious. I swapped out the drives with the power off, perhaps that did it.
n_touch
I got mine in today as well and put them in. It says that when you power it on it will cycle everything through. Depending on which raid you are using is how long it will take. Chapter 2 covers it all here. I know that I switched it to the flex raid and it is telling me that I have about 30 hours before it is complete.

NAS Manual
kb2001
AG
Mine is rebuilding the volume as well, that was expected since there are 4 new drives. I just found it odd that the device would do a factory reset in the process. I had to reconfigure the network, relink it to the readycloud website, and reinstall apps

dubi
AG
Just received an email for:

NETGEAR's N300 WiFi Router (WNR2020v2).
n_touch
What sizes drives did you go with? What apps are you using? I have been looking at some of the different ones to see what might be useful.
kb2001
AG
I picked up 4 of these 2TB drives

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236343

The next day the 3TB models went on sale (see pnut's link earlier), so I'd grab those instead

For apps, I had quite a few of them installed to test them out, the only one I intend to use moving forward is Plex Media Server.

I'll also point out that the WD Red drives run very cool. I had two old 1.5TB drives laying around that I had put in to test some things out, and when I pulled them earlier, they were extremely hot. I didn't catch the temperature, but it had to be well over 60
Bregxit
AG
My two 1TB WD Blacks (about 2 years old) are idling at 48 and 50C in my Syno 211j.

The 1TB WD Red included with the RN104 is idling at 32C.

Definite difference.
n_touch
The same thing happened to me. I bought three 1tb drives to add to it, and the next day the 3tb drives went on sale. I was able to change out the order so I got the 3tb drives instead. I am working on it now, and it says it is putting it in Raid 5, I am trying to see how to get it to change to RAID 10. Not sure if I have to wait till it finishes the initial setup or not.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Mine is rebuilding the volume as well, that was expected since there are 4 new drives. I just found it odd that the device would do a factory reset in the process. I had to reconfigure the network, relink it to the readycloud website, and reinstall apps

If the system config is stored on the disk volume, which I am fairly certain it is, it makes sense.
dubi
AG
I need help!

I put in 2 x 3TB drives and when I plugged in the device it automatically made a Raid 1 with one of my new drives and the 1TB that came with the device.

How do I tell it to pair the 3TB drives? Perhaps in 3rd grade language; this is my first NAS with raid technology.

Bregxit
AG
Dubi,

An interesting test would be to do the following:

1) Wait for your array to finish building
2) Pull the unused 3TB disk
3) Then pull the 1TB disk
4) Replace the 3TB disk where the 1TB disk was
5) See if it rebuild the RAID1 volume and does it expand its size

Should work.
dubi
AG
quote:
Dubi,

Should work.

i will try that in the morning. The setup was very easy; I just wish it had asked me which drives I wanted to pair.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
Dubi,

Should work.

i will try that in the morning. The setup was very easy; I just wish it had asked me which drives I wanted to pair.

Yeah it seems that in the interest of being user friendly it kind of makes initial setup potentially annoying.
kb2001
AG
quote:
Yeah it seems that in the interest of being user friendly it kind of makes initial setup potentially annoying.
Agreed, it could get annoying. In particular because the process to build the volume is extremely slow, and it isn't obvious that you can stop this process. I don't plan on having multiple volumes, so I'm sticking with X-RAID. In this mode, the option to destroy the volume is grayed out

quote:
If the system config is stored on the disk volume, which I am fairly certain it is, it makes sense.
Yeah, it must be. That would explain it
dubi
AG
quote:
I don't plan on having multiple volumes, so I'm sticking with X-RAID.

So what is X-RAID?
JonLobb
quote:
Dubi,

Should work.
i don't think you have to do anything so tricky

once the volume has been fully built and the NAS is back to normal status you delete the volume that is has created. After you do that you can create new volumes as you see fit.

to do what you're looking to do you'll have to turn off X-Raid and "add volume" manually.

but the first thing you have to do is delete the volume that your NAS is currently creating.
dubi
AG
quote:
but the first thing you have to do is delete the volume that your NAS is currently creating.

quote:
to do what you're looking to do you'll have to turn off X-Raid and "add volume" manually.

Instructions?
kb2001
AG
Click System on top left
Click Volumes in the middle
Click X-RAID on the right to disable X-RAID, this will switch it into Flex-RAID (there's an are you sure check also)
Once in Flex-RAID, you should be able to destroy the volume that is currently building.
Then, over on the right there's a button to create a New Volume. I think you would first click on the two 3TB drives to highlight them, then click New Volume? At that point you should be able t choose RAID-1. Not sure
JonLobb
quote:
Click System on top left
Click Volumes in the middle
Click X-RAID on the right to disable X-RAID, this will switch it into Flex-RAID (there's an are you sure check also)
Once in Flex-RAID, you should be able to destroy the volume that is currently building.
Then, over on the right there's a button to create a New Volume. I think you would first click on the two 3TB drives to highlight them, then click New Volume? At that point you should be able t choose RAID-1. Not sure
i think i had to wait until the RAID1 volume was complete before it would let me delete it.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
i don't think you have to do anything so tricky

I don't know that I'd call it tricky but anyhow, I just think it would be a good test to see if it will expand the RAID1 array automatically. Would be useful if one had say 1TB of data already on disk so you don't have to restore it from backup.
dubi
AG
When it finished, it was raid 5. I turned x-raid off, but did not see an option to delete the raid 5.

Could I try removing the 1tb drive and see what happens?

kb2001
AG
Left click on the box for data volume on the left, an option to destroy should pop up
dubi
AG
quote:
Left click on the box for data volume on the left, an option to destroy should pop up

That was well hidden! Destroying now.
Bregxit
AG
Which way did you do it dubi?
dubi
AG
Did you encrypt?
dubi
AG
quote:
Which way did you do it dubi?

I let it finish and just now logged back in.

I turned off x-raid, but didn't realize I needed to click the blue box to get the option to destroy the existing volume. Getting ready to rebuild a raid1 on the 3tb drives; I'm just trying to decide if encryption is best.
kb2001
AG
Depends on what you're putting on there for encryption. I'm using mine for media, so I didn't do encryption. If I decide on anything else to put there, I'll handle the encryption another way
dubi
AG
Raid1 will be completed in 7 hours. Thanks everyone!
n_touch
I am reading the instructions but want to make sure I am doing this right before I do it. It just finished setting up the RAID with the 4 drives and it put them into RAID5. If I do destroy, will it give me the option to set them up as a RAID 10?

Add On: OK so I did the destroy and it only gave two options RAID 1 or 0. I think I messed up by choosing two drives and set to 1 and was going to set the other two to 0 thinking that would give the raid 1+0. Has anyone set this up with a RAID 10? For as easy as all of the other things with this is, setting up the raid seems to be the most difficult.
kb2001
AG
I think if you select all 4 drives, RAID 1+0 should be an option
n_touch
Ok, I will give that a shot. It is still doing something right now, so I do not want to stop it. Thanks kb
n_touch
You are correct, if you select all 4 of them you get RAID 0, 5, 6, and 10 options.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
If anyone is needing a Nighthawk R7000 router, Staples has it for $130.50. Great deal considering I bought it for like $180 two weeks ago...

http://slickdeals.net/f/7257094-netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-dual-band-wifi-router-130-50-w-visa-checkout-after-20-rebate-free-shipping?v=1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.