Free tech

452,536 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Meng overnighted a powercord yesterday and it got here this morning. Not a bad NAS, but NETGEAR still can't do SSL certificates right, even in what is supposed to be their business class NAS solutions.

Honestly I cannot tell much of a difference between the RN104, RN314 and the RN2120 other than form factor and some very minor spec differences. They all have the same functionality (and same OS) at the end of the day.
Glad he's taking care of you.

The big difference should be in the hardware. We are migrating to a one cloud platform as far as the software goes. What else would you like to see in the rackmount or business versions? What is the main issue with the SSL certs?
I cannot think of anything specifically I'd like to see added to them. I was just commenting more on the interface and features. It wasn't a negative comment. In fact, I think it is pretty nice that home level devices have most, if not all, of the same features as the business class devices.

The SSL issue though is that you still cannot install certificates issued from a trusted CA. You are stuck with the self-signed certificate and having to deal with browsers yelling at you about it. Not a big deal if it is just 1 or 2 people using it. It gets more tedious with 50+ and looks really bad if you are letting customers interface with it over the internet. Customers do not like not getting the pretty green "you're okay" box with the lock symbol in it.
92_Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
OP, I just wanted to say thank you again for bringing this too us. I've gotten to try some awesome products I may never have used otherwise. So far almost everything has been perfect. The only product I had any trouble with was the ProSafe VPN firewall a few months back.
You are welcome. It's mutual!

Sorry about the VPN. We have some R&D going on on that side of our house, so I'm hoping that 2016 will be the year that we up our game with the business products.
I'll echo all sentiments above, including the difficulty with the ProSafe VPN firewall. I haven't posted a review of that product yet, simply because I've been working through support tickets trying to get this thing operational as I can.

I've been hesitant to post a review that might be slighted by issues related to service providers on each end of the tests I'm conducting, but it's looking less and less likely that is the case. As a highly experienced IT professional, I'm a bit disappointed at how that product tries to apparently fit both a consumer and professional customer (pro-sumer space if you will) but seems to really miss both.

I don't know what issues others had with the product but it might be nice to find out.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
OP, I just wanted to say thank you again for bringing this too us. I've gotten to try some awesome products I may never have used otherwise. So far almost everything has been perfect. The only product I had any trouble with was the ProSafe VPN firewall a few months back.
You are welcome. It's mutual!

Sorry about the VPN. We have some R&D going on on that side of our house, so I'm hoping that 2016 will be the year that we up our game with the business products.
good to hear it.

The biggest problem I had was that it was unbelievably slow to adapt to changes either up or downstream that should have been automatically adjusted for in the device.

For example, even with the firewall set in full automatic mode, setting the gateway to forward the external IP address and all traffic to the firewall in DMZ mode would completely crash the network and require power cycling the firewall 2 or 3 times to get it to accept and adapt to the changes.

Likewise, setting an R7000 router attached behind the firewall to AP mode, would also completely crash the firewall and require powercycling 2 or 3 times.

In either instance then the network might only be stable for a matter of hours before the firewall needed to be reset again.

The only consistently reliable configuration I ever found was to subnet each layer, which reeked havoc on port-forwarding.

I spent hours on the phone with Netgear business tech support, and never found a viable and sustainable solution.
irock2513
AG
Just got word that I was selected for the AC1750 router, and that it should be here within a day or two.
flintdragon
AG
Whoah, just got an invite for the ReadyNAS 3130.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
Nice!
Caliber
AG
quote:
got this invite too! Fingers crossed
2006EE
AG
quote:
Just got word that I was selected for the AC1750 router, and that it should be here within a day or two.

Me too. Said I would get it tomorrow and they wanted a review by Monday.

This makes one router and two NASs for me.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
quote:

Me too. Said I would get it tomorrow and they wanted a review by Monday.

This makes one router and two NASs for me.

Got the router too. That makes 2 routers and a modem for me. Very excited about the router though, definitely the most expensive product I've tested.
aneisch
AG
quote:

Hopefully you get it, the 2120 is awesome!
keysercade
AG
Excited to check out the AC1750 router, should be here today!
fta09
AG
quote:
Excited to check out the AC1750 router, should be here today!
Mine was just delivered about 15 minutes ago! I should get around to testing it later this evening.
2006EE
AG
I don't need a router at home but do at work. So I'm going to set it up at work. Looking forward to it. Thanks Netgear.
ABKitch
AG
Just got the AC1750 today...this thing is pretty sweet! Not quite as futuristic insect-like terminator robot looking as the Nighthawks, but still pretty cool.

As a tribute to the F&F program, I thought I'd offer up some freebies for those of you who haven't gotten anything from them ever, or haven't gotten anything in a while. I have been fortunate enough to receive and test several items from Netgear (NAS, a couple of routers, wireless access point), and with the addition of this latest router, I now have two extra routers, that I'd be willing to give away to a couple of you guys.

The routers are both the same model... Netgear R6050, AC750 Dual Band, and have lightly been used over the past few months. Still have the original packaging, instructions, etc. etc... and I'll even pay for shipping.

First two people to claim them here will get them...just PM me or post here with an email address or some way of getting in touch and I'll make arrangements. Likely won't be as fast as the Netgear team as far as FedEx overnight shipping, but I'll get them to you pretty soon!

Here's the Amazon link to the routers I'm describing...

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC750-Gigabit-Router-R6050/dp/B00KFD0O0I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437619548&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+router+ac

jbryan10
AG
Still haven't received any emails since January. Making me wonder if I'm somehow not on the list anymore.
La Fours
AG
Good bull!!
Aggie71013
AG
I haven't received any since before Marynel left. I feel the same way, but can't complain because I've already received three products. They've all been great.
aneisch
AG
Those that haven't received any product invites in months:

Did you not do your review? Was your review very brief? Did you give a negative review?
Aggie71013
AG
Posted all positive reviews of competitive to long length. I did post one late because I was in the process of moving and it took me a bit to get Comcast installed, but the reviews were posted.
Mike92
AG
I gave detailed reviews for all of the products I received and they were all pretty positive so I don't think that could be the reason.
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:
I gave detailed reviews for all of the products I received and they were all pretty positive so I don't think that could be the reason.
Same here.
jay040
Just got my first email from Meng last week for Powerline adaptors. First one I've had from the program since January. Thought I had been removed from the list.
Bregxit
AG
If anyone wants an RN2120 w/ 2 x 1TB hard drives for $250 let me know.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Are you guys that are still getting items to test on the small business/professional list that was offered earlier this year? I passed on that one since I am mostly interested in consumer products, but I'm not sure if they're still sending items to the original list or just the professional list now.
jbryan10
AG
I only received 1 item (received the NAS and had 3 or 4 offers of modems I can't use) and gave a positive and detailed review.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Are you guys that are still getting items to test on the small business/professional list that was offered earlier this year? I passed on that one since I am mostly interested in consumer products, but I'm not sure if they're still sending items to the original list or just the professional list now.
I have been getting items from both.

Nighthawk, Powerline adapters from the regular one plus an invite to the WND930 but I didn't have a PoE switch.
RN2120 from the business one plus the WAC120 which I turned down.
Aggietaco
AG
Just got a survey for the D7000 but I've got cable internet.
wessimo
AG
Ditto. I got the offer for the xfinity version when I had uverse, and now that I switched to xfinity I got the offer for the uverse version.
bco2003
AG
I received the D7000 invite as well, and do have U-verse, but didn't think it is possible to have a modem other than the router/modem that AT&T provides.

I went ahead and accepted since the survey specifically asked about U-verse.
ABKitch
AG
Just got the invite for the D7000 too, and I have Centurylink DSL so hopefully I'll get it. Still no takers on the extra routers I have so is anyone needs one let me know!
30_Days
AG
I've turned down half a dozen Time Warner modems, and they finally send out a UVerse (which I have) and no invite.

who's running this crackerjack operation?
Bregxit
AG
I received the invite for the D7000 and have U-Verse. Unfortunately after looking at the D7000 support pages setting it up with U-Verse phone is either no possible or a severe pain in the butt. Also looking at the connections I am not sure how you make coax TV connections work with it. Passing it up.
30_Days
AG
got the invite!

this is perfect. i'm very excited.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Woo! After a long dry spell I got an invite for the D7000. Fingers crossed.
Mike92
AG
I got the survey for the D7000 also. This is the first email I've gotten in quite a while so it's good to know I'm still on the list. I noticed in the documentation that it appears it can be used as a WiFi router without using the DSL capabilities if you have cable internet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.