*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,950 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Cousins hadn't received any offers, not even from the Pelicans. He called GS, not the other way around. Maybe execs don't think he has the drive to recover from his injury, or maybe they realize how much of a headache he is. Either way, he took the $5.3 million due to lack of interest.

I read that Draymond Green was recruiting him though with the idea, similar to how Green talked a bunch with Durant.
Guitarsoup
AG
Derrick White highlights from last night:

Ag Natural
AG
Cousins didn't have an offer after 1 whole day of free agency. He's a dumbass. If he waits a week somebody signs him for the full MLE easily. It's reasonable that most teams would want to at least watch him workout first to see how he's healing. Rudy didn't sign with the Spurs until mid July last year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Cousins didn't have an offer after 1 whole day of free agency. He's a dumbass. If he waits a week somebody signs him for the full MLE easily. It's reasonable that most teams would want to at least watch him workout first to see how he's healing. Rudy didn't sign with the Spurs until mid July last year.
I'd rather make 5.3mm for the Warriors than 8.8mm for the Hornets.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Well he's saying he had no offers. We don't know what he would have seen. Rudy got 2 years at $14 million last year with the second year being a player option. For a guy coming off an achilles that's pretty nice.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Well he's saying he had no offers. We don't know what he would have seen. Rudy got 2 years at $14 million last year with the second year being a player option. For a guy coming off an achilles that's pretty nice.
Right, but the comment I was replying to said he probably would have been offered the full MLE by some team that struck out. That's probably true. But I'd rather play for the Warriors and fill a big need they had than just take a couple million more and play for a team that may or may not make the playoffs.
Guitarsoup
AG

From Ben Falk
Ulrich
Part of his plan should be using this year to work on his image. "In my time with Golden State and Coach Kerr I learned how champion players conduct themselves and it really opened my eyes and changed me..." It wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the reason for his quick trigger.

As for the Warriors, if he's not working out for whatever reason they can cut him or sit him. No fuss no mess. They aren't adding 25 and 12 day one, but due to their already prohibitive talent advantage and the extremely cheap contract all the risk is to the upside.
NoHo Hank
AG
Unbelievable to me that you can add a 4 time all star in his prime to your roster for $5m then say eh, no big deal, if he bombs or becomes a cancer we can just cut him. 2018-19 season hasn't started and its already stupid.
Ulrich
Also, next year's free agency is going to be weird. There are too many players positioning themselves for 2019. The top ones will get huge deals but the midlevel guys are going to wish they had signed multiyear deals this off-season.
Guitarsoup
AG
If it was a 5-time all-star that didn't have character or injury concerns, it would be one thing.

But they did get a guy while super talented, just had a devastating injury and wasn't really wanted to be retained by either of his former teams.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich said:

Also, next year's free agency is going to be weird. There are too many players positioning themselves for 2019. The top ones will get huge deals but the midlevel guys are going to wish they had signed multiyear deals this off-season.
I don't think there were a lot of multi-year deals to be had this year. Lots of teams stuck in luxury tax hell and with bad contracts from 2016.
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If it was a 5-time all-star that didn't have character or injury concerns, it would be one thing.

But they did get a guy while super talented, just had a devastating injury and wasn't really wanted to be retained by either of his former teams.
I agree with this 100%
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

Part of his plan should be using this year to work on his image. "In my time with Golden State and Coach Kerr I learned how champion players conduct themselves and it really opened my eyes and changed me..." It wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the reason for his quick trigger.

As for the Warriors, if he's not working out for whatever reason they can cut him or sit him. No fuss no mess. They aren't adding 25 and 12 day one, but due to their already prohibitive talent advantage and the extremely cheap contract all the risk is to the upside.

Well it's a no brainer for the Warriors.
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle
AG
Ag Natural said:

Ulrich said:

Well it's a no brainer for the Warriors.
In my opinion it's a no brainer for Cousins. Some players go their whole career and never get a chance at a ring. He has a excellent chance to get a ring and improve his reputation. He's been making over 16 million for the last 4 years and if he comes back from the injury he will get another big payday next year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Jimmy Butler wants out of Minnesota. I'd trade him straight up for Kawhi right now.

Butler was a pop target if Klay or Kawhi didn't fall to the Pacers' pick. Butler is also from Houston.
aggie_fan13
AG
I would be very happy with butler
MookieBlaylock
AG
Didn't we pass on butler with our 2nd pick?
Guitarsoup
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Didn't we pass on butler with our 2nd pick?
Yes. Drafted for need with CoJo to backup Parker/replace Hill.

Can't see Pop drafting two SFs when Parker getting older and trading away his mancrush.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Jimmy Butler wants out of Minnesota. I'd trade him straight up for Kawhi right now.

Butler was a pop target if Klay or Kawhi didn't fall to the Pacers' pick. Butler is also from Houston.

Why is Butler not happy in Minny? And I'd make that trade in a heart beat if I were PATFO.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Why is Butler not happy in Minny? And I'd make that trade in a heart beat if I were PATFO.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jimmy-butler-reportedly-fed-up-with-young-wolves-has-no-intention-of-signing-an-extension/

Quote:

Butler apparently is not a fan of teammate Karl-Anthony Towns and the 'nonchalant attitudes' of his other young teammates

How about:

Kawhi to Lakers

Butler to Spurs
Hart to Spurs
1st to Spurs

Ingram to Wolves
Kuzma to Wolves
Deng to Wolves
superunknown
AG
Would love to see Kawhi on a Thibs team. You think Pop was tough?

Make it happen. I want some nasty.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jimmy-butler-reportedly-fed-up-with-young-wolves-has-no-intention-of-signing-an-extension/

Quote:

Butler apparently is not a fan of teammate Karl-Anthony Towns and the 'nonchalant attitudes' of his other young teammates

How about:

Kawhi to Lakers

Butler to Spurs
Hart to Spurs
1st to Spurs

Ingram to Wolves
Kuzma to Wolves
Deng to Wolves

I've always liked Jumny Butler and he'd fit in real nice here in San Antonio. I also like having a guy serious about winning.

My only issue with that trade is **** the lakers.
Guitarsoup
AG
Jimmy Butler to Spurs
Kyle Lowry to Spurs
Lucas Noriega to Spurs

Lonzo Ball to Raptors
Pau Gasol to Raptors (Stretched, costs $4.5mm/year for 5 years)
Derrick White to Raptors (pick two of White/Murray/Lonnie/FRD/FRD)
Lakers FRD to Raptors
Josh Hart to Raptors

Ingram to TPups
Deng to TPups
Kuzma to TPups

Kawhi to Lakers
Patty to Lakers

Lakers get their second star and a 3pt shooter.
Spurs get their two stars.
Raptors get three or four young players and save about $43mm by getting out of the luxury tax
Pups get two young promising players and makes it easier to get rid of Wiggins.
West Texan
AG
https://www.thestepien.com/2018/07/03/derrick-white-sophomore-sleeper/

Really good article on Derrick White.
ToHntortoFsh
When could Butler come over? I've always heard he's similar to Kawhi skills wise. I bet the Spurs could make him better.
Guitarsoup
AG
ToHntortoFsh said:

When could Butler come over? I've always heard he's similar to Kawhi skills wise. I bet the Spurs could make him better.
He's a very good defender, but not quite Kawhi's level.

Much better than Kawhi at passing/creating for others.

Not as good of a shooter as Kawhi, however, he hit 55% and 45% of his corner threes the last two years.
Guitarsoup
AG
Butler has said he wants to play with Kyrie next year, apparently.

Patty+Kawhi for Butler+Tyus Jones+Justin Patton

Next year roster:

LMA 26
Butler 19.8 (if we get him to opt in, then offer an extension)
Gasol (stretched) 2.2
Marco 6.3
White 1.9
Murray 1.6
Walker 2
6 cap holds= ~5mm
-------------------

59.8 in salary
108ish Cap

43.2 in cap space. Enough to sign Kyrie to join Jimmy and LMA. Maybe still able to keep Gay or Green or Kyle or someone, too.

Even if you can't force Patty on someone, you can have over 30mm in cap space next year while having Butler.
West Texan
AG
What's the connection between Jimmy and Kyrie?
Old Army Metal
AG
West Texan said:

They both play in the NBA.
West Texan
AG
Old Army Metal said:

West Texan said:

They both play in the NBA.

Brilliant!
Guitarsoup
AG
Both were on the Rio Olympics team together.
Enzo The Baker
AG
White can shoot. He just brought the ball up court and pulled up right away, no hesitation. I really hope he gets minutes this year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
White with 15 points in 8 mins. Lots of great defensive plays, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.