BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

668,589 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
RafterAg223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

AG81 said:

ChampsAg said:

Total Wine is open today. Huge selection of wine beer and spirits.

They're gonna hurt Spec's.

On the surface this seems plausible but specs is insulated by an extremely robust wholesale business to bars and restaurants.

Specs will lose me and likely others due to the fact that total wine actually rewards their loyalty members on a semi regular basis with allocated products. I've bought a lot of stuff from specs for work related events and personal use. I'm the highest level of spec's key club you can be, and I've never been offered squat in the way of hard to find products.
Collectonian
Paolo's closing permanently September 17th, per their Facebook

Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
wareagle044
Heard a rumor developer reps were out taking pictures around Coulter Airfield….why for if true ?
TyHolden
AG
wareagle044 said:

Heard a rumor developer reps were out taking pictures around Coulter Airfield….why for if true ?
It's a backup location for the Amazon drone site...
Captn_Ag05
AG
Capriotti's opens tomorrow (Aug 22).
bcstx06
TyHolden said:

wareagle044 said:

It's a backup location for the Amazon drone site...

I have also been hearing that Amazon is planning to build a distribution center close to that area in North Bryan.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Nick the Greek, a Greek fast-casual restaurant mostly in California, is going in the old Taco Bar location on Wellborn.

https://www.nickthegreek.com/

Captn_Ag05
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/08/22/adults-only-water-park-college-station-sees-boom-customers-outside-texas/

Not really a coming or going, but it is interesting that the Cove has seen a significant number of customers coming from out of state. I get the appeal of it being adults only and having alcohol, but it is a small park. I wonder if they have any plans for expansion?

Law361
AG
did not know this existed until right now.
Fur Missile Command
AG
Capriottis is officially open for business today.
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - Winston Churchill

FJB
rocketscience
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/08/22/adults-only-water-park-college-station-sees-boom-customers-outside-texas/

Not really a coming or going, but it is interesting that the Cove has seen a significant number of customers coming from out of state. I get the appeal of it being adults only and having alcohol, but it is a small park. I wonder if they have any plans for expansion?

Toward the end of the article it says they're exploring expanding at their current site. IMO this is a concept that's prime for expansion to San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and DFW- actually pretty much any city larger than BCS.
FlyRod
Captn_Ag05 said:

Nick the Greek, a Greek fast-casual restaurant mostly in California, is going in the old Taco Bar location on Wellborn.

This makes me happy. Have wanted some Greek in this town for ages!
histag10
AG
Babylon Cafe serves Greek food...
maroon barchetta
FlyRod said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

This makes me happy. Have wanted some Greek in this town for ages!

I hope it's good. This would be a great addition.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Have wanted some Greek in this town for ages!
Agreed! There used to be a Greek restaurant on Welsh Ave. I don't remember the name. I used to take my now 22-yr-old son there when he was a toddler. It's Coco Loco now.
maroon barchetta
MiMi said:

Quote:

Have wanted some Greek in this town for ages!
Agreed! There used to be a Greek restaurant on Welsh Ave. I don't remember the name. I used to take my now 22-yr-old son there when he was a toddler. It's Coco Loco now.

One of our kids raved about that place when they were in school.
FlyRod
histag10 said:

Babylon Cafe serves Greek food...

Mostly Iraqi food actually. And Abu Omar Halal has a gyros. And even Cafe Eccell had the occasional Greek themed thingie now and then. But the menu of this place is all Greek and looks good. And yeah it's a chain, don't care!
MiMi
S
Quote:

And Abu Omar Halal has a gyros. And even Cafe Eccell had the occasional Greek themed thingie now and then. But the menu of this place is all Greek and looks good. And yeah it's a chain, don't care!
Arbys and SoFly have gyros on their menus too. But I'm looking forward to this place!
MiMi
S
Per their FB Page, Uncorked (formerly Downtown Uncorked) is having their 'Super-Secret Semi-Opening,' starting today and until their Soft Opening on September 20.
oklaunion
When did the PIzza Hut at TowerPoint open? Just saw it today.
Captn_Ag05
AG
TDLR has a new project listed today in College Station. It is a 9,000 square foot gas station with a project name Waves. It will be located at the corner of University and Copperfield. Anyone familiar with Waves gas stations? seems like a large square footage for a convenience store.
BiochemAg97
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

TDLR has a new project listed today in College Station. It is a 9,000 square foot gas station with a project name Waves. It will be located at the corner of University and Copperfield. Anyone familiar with Waves gas stations? seems like a large square footage for a convenience store.

Buc-ees "convenience store" has up to 70,000 sqft . 9000 sqft seems small.
toolshed
AG
Seems dumb with the new one at Copperfield and Harvey, which usually looks empty. I'm sure a new one on University will starve the Harvey one for traffic.
Captn_Ag05
AG
haha, true. But, the average convenience store averages around 2,000-3,000 square feet. So, this one is definitely larger than the normal store.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I posted this question before without success, but was hoping someone may have some new information. Recently, one of the projects approved by the A&M BOR was to construct a $100 million museum of natural history on the campus. Does anyone know where they plan to construct it? My guess would be near the conference center and hotel, but the recently announced Buc-ee's school will be across Wellborn from the hotel in what is currently a parking lot, leaving limited options on that part of campus.

Quote:

New projects proposed for the Texas A&M University campus in College Station, Texas, under the capital plan, which already has $2.7 billion of projects in the design or construction phases, include:
  • $175 million: Visualization, Fine and Performing Arts Building;
  • $118 million: An addition to the Clinical Veterinary Teaching & Research Complex;
  • $100 million: Museum of Natural History;
  • $75 million: Aggie Band Residence Hall; and
  • $40 million: Phase II of The Gardens at Texas A&M University, a 20-acre extension of the university's current 27-acre teaching garden.

Captn_Ag05
AG
In listening to the mayor's interview today on WTAW, he said that the Fedex building on Northgate (and neighboring Insomnia cookies) is about to be redeveloped and reading between the lines, it sounds like another apartment tower. I knew that the FedEx property was listed for sale, but I hadn't seen where it actually sold. Anyone know?
Captn_Ag05
AG
rocketscience said:

Aggieland Outfitters posted an event for the groundbreaking of their new George Bush location on Facebook for 8/22.

They rescheduled to September 7 due to a new lawsuit, which will likely be quickly dismissed.

https://www.kxxv.com/brazos/lawsuit-filed-again-against-aggieland-outfitters-by-college-station-resident
rocketscience
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I posted this question before without success, but was hoping someone may have some new information. Recently, one of the projects approved by the A&M BOR was to construct a $100 million museum of natural history on the campus. Does anyone know where they plan to construct it? My guess would be near the conference center and hotel, but the recently announced Buc-ee's school will be across Wellborn from the hotel in what is currently a parking lot, leaving limited options on that part of campus.

Quote:

New projects proposed for the Texas A&M University campus in College Station, Texas, under the capital plan, which already has $2.7 billion of projects in the design or construction phases, include:
  • $118 million: An addition to the Clinical Veterinary Teaching & Research Complex;
  • $40 million: Phase II of The Gardens at Texas A&M University, a 20-acre extension of the university's current 27-acre teaching garden.

In the report from a "The Path Forward" working group (actions from the MGT report about large scale university reorganization) it refers to the location as the Garden/Museum District of campus which is a new name to me. I assume that is around the Gardens on west campus based on the name. I think I also saw in those reports a recommendation to colocate it with the Performing Arts Center.
techno-ag
AG
rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

In the report from a "The Path Forward" working group (actions from the MGT report about large scale university reorganization) it refers to the location as the Garden/Museum District of campus which is a new name to me. I assume that is around the Gardens on west campus based on the name. I think I also saw in those reports a recommendation to colocate it with the Performing Arts Center.
Sounds great!
rocketscience
AG
Has the data center at the RELLIS Campus begun construction? I think the incentive agreement with the county expired ~August 15 if construction hadn't started by then.
Captn_Ag05
AG
rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

Interesting and thank you for that information! I will be very interested to see where exactly they locate it. My thought was for a museum of that expense and presumably intended for heavy public use, it would be located with direct access from either University, Bush, or Wellborn. Although a location next to the gardens would be a good way to draw more people to the gardens. After the proposed expansion, the Gardens will be an amazing place to visit.
AggiePhil
AG
Visit the Mayborn Museum at Baylor and tell me TAMU doesn't need something similar (or better!). Super high-quality, clean museum for the whole family. Love that place.
rocketscience
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

Interesting and thank you for that information! I will be very interested to see where exactly they locate it. My thought was for a museum of that expense and presumably intended for heavy public use, it would be located with direct access from either University, Bush, or Wellborn. Although a location next to the gardens would be a good way to draw more people to the gardens. After the proposed expansion, the Gardens will be an amazing place to visit.
Here's the document I was referencing.
https://pathforward.tamu.edu/_files/documents/implementation-memos/WG8-Implementation-Memo_Approved-6-30-22.pdf

I think a great location would be near the White Creek Apartments where the student services portable farm was during the Student Services Building construction (have the building backed up to White Creek). If the university wants the museum to host events, a ballroom with large windows and a second level terrace facing White Creek (and maybe additional, more formal gardens around the museum) would offer an incredible setting for elegant events. It could also make use of the future White Creek Apartments garage. That area is planned for a White Creek Apartments phase 2 though.

Realistically it may end up near the Bush School or in one of the buildings planned around Reed. Another good location for the combined site of the Museum and Performing Arts Complex would be University and Wellborn which would help improve the aesthetics of that entrance to campus and help the university's effort to build along Wellborn.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Bank of Brenham submitted site plans to Bryan for a new bank location at the corner of Earl Rudder and Trophy Drive, next to the Stripes and Wendy's.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
I truly don't understand building new bank branches. can someone enlighten me?

the existing bank of brenham next to honda has no one visiting that site - i've now been in there 3 times in the last few months closing an account i inherited and I was the only one in there all the times.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.