BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

664,718 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

CEAg78 said:

Animal Eight 84 said:

phillytex24 said:

Pappadeaux should buy Applebees! They love to buy old buildings and renovate them into restaurants. It would be packed, and a great place for them. The City Of College Station needs to open the street with access behind Century Square so people can have another point of access from Hensel; on the backside of Northpoint. Too much traffic on University.
I read that the Applebee's location has a 1955 restrictive covenant in the warranty deed preventing the land from ever being used for serving alcohol or dancing.

There were legal notices in the Jan 31 Eagle of court hearings by the current property owners suing the heirs to get the restrictions extinguished and voided.

I thought it was interesting so I took a screenshot of the legal notice. .

Interesting. But Applebee's served alcohol. I don't think someone trying to enforce that covenant was their downfall.
No opinion on why Applebee's closed, I never ate there.

The current 2022 property owners apparently have a different opinion about that covenant if they're willing to spend $$$ in legal fees to get it removed.
keep kenny loggins away...
phillytex24
AG81 said:

phillytex24 said:

Coopers aint gonna last. $30 for me to eat there! Plus hard to get to. Not going back.

We go regularly and my wife and I eat for $30 COMBINED. If you spent $30 just for you and didn't take home leftovers, you have a portion control problem. That's on you, not Cooper's. Cooper's will outlast you.

I'm not a small guy, I love to eat. I just bought a 3 Meat Plate at C&Js Barbecue with double beef and ribs, two sides and a drink for $21. It's so delicious, affordable. easy to get to the restaurant, and peaceful inside. Much better for me in this horrific economy, and the brisket is much better in my opinion. Enjoy your weekend!
PS3D
AG81 said:

PS3D said:

AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Bojangles coming to Bryan:
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/03/29/bojangles-announces-its-coming-bryan-college-station/
Awesome, another fried chicken place. We need more of those.
Well, excepting some exotic restaurants like Nigerian cuisine, do you roll your eyes at everything? "Wow, an IKEA? ANOTHER furniture store? Wow, a Trader Joe's? ANOTHER grocery store?"

So you think we don't have enough fried chicken places in town. Got it. Your analogy utterly fails.
It was clearly meant to be a joke.

bcstx06
Is the major project along University Dr in Bryan seen in this video still happening? The project was said the have retail, restaurants and residential (mixed use). Recently passed by the area and see a sign that looks like it will just be a suburban retail center. Is that correct? What happened city of Bryan? If it's just retail it seems like a waste of valuable land in the city.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/02/26/new-economic-development-coming-to-the-city-of-bryan/
maroon barchetta
Have any mixed use developments worked out as planned?

The businesses at Holleman and Dartmouth under those apartments have all pretty much floundered.

Except for World of Beer, has anything else worked at Northpoint?

The Rise and Aspire have a CVS below and a fajita place and a good Asian food restaurant with odd hours.

CVS is fail-proof across from main campus like that. Not sure about the other stuff.

What else?
cstxfn
A coming soon sign on West Villa Maria where a bank used to be says "Gas Station/ Deli".
tvoiles
Hilton on University is for sale

https://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-Auction/hilton-college-station-and-conference-center/25253228/?d=L3RleGFzL2JyYXpvcy1jb3VudHktYnVzaW5lc3Nlcy1mb3Itc2FsZS8%3D
Captn_Ag05
AG
maroon barchetta said:

The businesses at Holleman and Dartmouth under those apartments have all pretty much floundered.

The Rise and Aspire have a CVS below and a fajita place and a good Asian food restaurant with odd hours.

CVS is fail-proof across from main campus like that. Not sure about the other stuff.

What else?
Century Square
maroon barchetta
That one is a little different. It's not all contained in one building with retail on the bottom and apartments on top.
woodiewood1
What's going in behind Chipolte on Wellborn Road?
maroon barchetta
woodiewood1 said:

What's going in behind Chipolte on Wellborn Road?

The custard place?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Yes Andy's.
PS3D
Animal Eight 84 said:

CEAg78 said:

Animal Eight 84 said:

phillytex24 said:

Pappadeaux should buy Applebees! They love to buy old buildings and renovate them into restaurants. It would be packed, and a great place for them. The City Of College Station needs to open the street with access behind Century Square so people can have another point of access from Hensel; on the backside of Northpoint. Too much traffic on University.
I read that the Applebee's location has a 1955 restrictive covenant in the warranty deed preventing the land from ever being used for serving alcohol or dancing.

There were legal notices in the Jan 31 Eagle of court hearings by the current property owners suing the heirs to get the restrictions extinguished and voided.

I thought it was interesting so I took a screenshot of the legal notice. .

Interesting. But Applebee's served alcohol. I don't think someone trying to enforce that covenant was their downfall.
No opinion on why Applebee's closed, I never ate there.

The current 2022 property owners apparently have a different opinion about that covenant if they're willing to spend $$$ in legal fees to get it removed.
Right, but it was replatted when it became Applebee's. If there was an issue, it would've come up 25 years or so ago when the Applebee's was built, and the deed that creates the plat where Applebee's is now makes no mention of restrictive covenants, only that someone else owns the mineral and oil rights.

If you're curious, you can look up the re-plat and deed here. https://brazos.tx.publicsearch.us/ with "1993-541184" as the number for the plat and "1993-541550" for the deed.
JayHowdy!
Looks like Century Square is only 60 % occupied. Still lots of vacancy after 5 years in operation.
BiochemAg97
AG
JayHowdy! said:

Looks like Century Square is only 60 % occupied. Still lots of vacancy after 5 years in operation.
I'm sure COVID didn't help
FlyRod
Did Bangkok Thai Kitchen close or do they just never, ever answer their phone?
Collectonian
FlyRod said:

Did Bangkok Thai Kitchen close or do they just never, ever answer their phone?

Their online ordering system is saying they are closed 04/05/2022 - 04/10/2022 for maintenance, so could be that.
australopithecus robustus
JayHowdy! said:

The developers are likely not under any duress as they are cooperatively partners with TAMU in a very long term ground lease. Although it's in all parties' interest to monetize the dirt at the highest and fastest clip, the development doesn't cope with the same economic pressures as one where the developers don't a have a public/private partnership.

Good for them. Not necessarily great for the private sector now. However, in some years, the private sector will benefit from the vision.
BiochemAg97
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

JayHowdy! said:

The developers are likely not under any duress as they are cooperatively partners with TAMU in a very long term ground lease. Although it's in all parties' interest to monetize the dirt at the highest and fastest clip, the development doesn't cope with the same economic pressures as one where the developers don't a have a public/private partnership.

Good for them. Not necessarily great for the private sector now. However, in some years, the private sector will benefit from the vision.
Based on what I have read about some of the other PPPs, there was likely some upfront payment to the university plus paying the construction costs. Then likely some minimum annual payment to the university and a revenue share. I would guess revenue share may only kick in once a certain revenue target is reached. I assume that revenue target would at least cover operational costs plus a reasonable return on the initial outlay. They are probably fine if they are hovering around that mark. That is entirely speculation as I haven't seen the details of the PPP agreement.

I wonder how being in the partnership with the university effects their ability to adjust the rent to increase occupancy. Does the university have to sign off on discounted rent?
halibut sinclair
The Tipsy Trinket is coming to downtown Bryan in June. In the old Square 1 building:

http://thetipsytrinket.com/
trouble
AG
I heart Mac n cheese reopened in Jones crossing
AG81
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

JayHowdy! said:

Paid parking is keeping me away.
halibut sinclair
Daquiri Barn is now open on 29th across from St. Joseph.
halibut sinclair
AG81 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

JayHowdy! said:

Sunday is free.
AG81
AG
halibut sinclair said:

AG81 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

JayHowdy! said:

Sunday is free.
Why reward bad behavior?
halibut sinclair
AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

AG81 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

JayHowdy! said:

Sunday is free.
Why reward bad behavior?

You're not. You would be helping support businesses there who have nothing to do with the parking situation.
TheOC16
AG
halibut sinclair said:

AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

AG81 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

JayHowdy! said:

Sunday is free.
Why reward bad behavior?

You're not. You would be helping support businesses there who have nothing to do with the parking situation.
They signed a lease in a development that requires paid parking.

I'd say they have something to do with the parking situation.
TommyBrady
AG
Not again with the parking bs. Every single time anything with Century Square is mentioned we do this. Century Square is doing fine and with or without you coming it will continue to do great especially with more construction coming soon.
The Anchor
AG
Before the major derail, please move the parking discussion elsewhere.
Captn_Ag05
AG
There are a few posters with a bat signal every time Century Square is mentioned that feel the need to come gripe about parking.
halibut sinclair
TheOC16 said:

halibut sinclair said:

AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

AG81 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

JayHowdy! said:

Sunday is free.
Why reward bad behavior?

They signed a lease in a development that requires paid parking.

I'd say they have something to do with the parking situation.

My last word on this - many businesses were there already before the paid parking. Moving on now.
australopithecus robustus
Paid parking is a small step towards our graduation to an actual city. Clearly, as with larger cities, it doesn't appeal to certain demographics.
Tookieclothespin
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

maroon barchetta said:

What else?
Century Square
define "worked out as planned"
FJB
ChampsAg
GARAGE IS FREE. LET IT GO
quantumleap
halibut sinclair said:

Daquiri Barn is now open on 29th across from St. Joseph.

FYI, the new Bryan location has a special for their opening day today (4/7) only, for their "Yard Cup" for $10 even, which can be used for reduced price refills in the future (as long as it is brought back clean).

My college days being long behind me, I though I would try out the unique experience of drive through alcohol on demand, and they were pretty tasty, although strong (a bonus for regular drinkers, though a hindrance for light-weights like me)!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.