BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

666,023 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
NYCGuyInTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here you go:

https://toptiergas.com/consumers/

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
Aggieland Proud
AG
Did you get your dinner? I've driven by there several times during the last week and came to the conclusion that it had closed as well. The "for lease" sign that is located near the building helped to convince me that it had closed. There have been no cars and it has been around noon.
rocketscience
AG
https://wtaw.com/austin-based-developer-breaks-ground-on-second-student-housing-building-in-the-northgate-district/

401 First Street (the other development by the group behind the high rise on the Lutheran chapel site) has broken ground. 10 floors, 750 beds. Huge addition to that side of Northgate.
PS3D
A few other odds & ends from TDLR: Jersey Mike's in the Bryan Target shopping center, "Savor Peri Peri Chicken" in Northpoint Crossing, another convenience store (possible gas) off Holleman Drive South (this time on the University Heights side).
maroon barchetta
PS3D said:

A few other odds & ends from TDLR: Jersey Mike's in the Bryan Target shopping center, "Savor Peri Peri Chicken" in Northpoint Crossing, another convenience store (possible gas) off Holleman Drive South (this time on the University Heights side).

Has anything besides World of Beer survived Northpoint?
eloc62
bcstx06 said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

Joe's Italian is closed

That's the 3rd Italian restaurant to close in the last few months.
I find it sad that 3 Italian food places have closed here lately, but somehow Fazzolli's is still open, along with Olive Garden. It's strange that the few Italian places close while the glut of Mexican restaurants continue to surge.

Captn_Ag05
AG
That's sort of like saying you're sad a Tex mex place closed but Taco Bell is still open. Drive through/fast food "Italian" shouldn't even be compared to these other places.
techno-ag
AG
eloc62 said:

bcstx06 said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

Joe's Italian is closed

I find it sad that 3 Italian food places have closed here lately, but somehow Fazzolli's is still open.

Darn Keto diets.
AG81
AG
eloc62 said:

bcstx06 said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

Joe's Italian is closed

I find it sad that 3 Italian food places have closed here lately, but somehow Fazzolli's is still open, along with Olive Garden. It's strange that the few Italian places close while the glut of Mexican restaurants continue to surge.

Basic economics explains it, supply and demand. And, there are other Italian restaurants in town with another coming.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Is it supply and demand or poor operation?

All I've heard about either have been negative. I believe Joe's failed a health inspection right after they opened. I've lived here 12 years and never been to Carrino's. All I've heard about it is poor service and broken air conditioning. I'm not sure what the third Italian restaurant to close was.
Cyp0111
1860 Italia seems to be doing well.
halibut sinclair
MyNameIsJeff said:

All I've heard about either have been negative. I believe Joe's failed a health inspection right after they opened. I've lived here 12 years and never been to Carrino's. All I've heard about it is poor service and broken air conditioning. I'm not sure what the third Italian restaurant to close was.

Frittella
trouble
AG
Fritella. And they were just ready to retire
snaglepuss
I'm getting confused...is this a restaurant discussion forum or what?
A Net Full of Jello
AG
eloc62 said:

bcstx06 said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

Joe's Italian is closed

If Joe's offered the trio special of fetuccini alfredo, spaghetti with meat sauce, and a slice of pizza for $2.99 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, maybe they'd still be open.
RafterAg223
AG
Cyp0111 said:

1860 Italia seems to be doing well.
Because it is a quality product and it is operated by someone that knows what he's doing. Casa Mangiare on University will also do really well because of the same reasons.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Lake Walk posted a story on their Instagram showing construction updates for Woodhouse Spa and Kanji Sushi. It is coming along nicely and looks like they will be great spaces.
AG81
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Ummmmm, I don't think supply and demand means what you think it means. If there was huge demand for Italian did here, even poorly run places would survive. Case in point, the 20,000 Mexican food, chicken, and taco places in town.
histag10
AG
The price point of most Italian places is far higher than ANY Mexican food joint. I would much rather pay $20 for crappy Mexican than $75 for "meh" Italian. Mexican places will survive because they are cheap, even if they aren't great. Italian places have to either be really good, or really cheap. The places that closed were not cheap and not good. (With the exception of Fritella, and that .one made me sad)
FlyRod
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Hornbeck said:

Paisanos is moving to the strip center off Rock Prairie by Jersey Mike's, from what I understand.

They are going to blow up big time now. Unknown gem for most

Not unknown to me. Aside from the heavy hand with oregano, that is some might good deep dish pizza.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Hornbeck said:

Paisanos is moving to the strip center off Rock Prairie by Jersey Mike's, from what I understand.

Damn. I got them quite a bit because they are really close to my house. Probably won't get them nearly as much now
maroon barchetta
Geralt of Rivia said:

Hornbeck said:

Damn. I got them quite a bit because they are really close to my house. Probably won't get them nearly as much now

Hullabaloo Diner

Friday is pizza night

Best pizza in town
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Is Hullabaloo still open? Whenever I drive by parking lot is empty .
happyinBCS
this thread needs help from staff
maroon barchetta

Thursday and Friday evenings
Saturday and Sunday maybe 9-2?

Check social media. I just know when we go!
KidDoc
AG
Geralt of Rivia said:

Hornbeck said:

We love them for rolls and pizza and cannot wait for the big move!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
AG
PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

You can't really operate a restaurant that's open 20 hours in a week. Sounds like they're running on fumes.
maroon barchetta
PS3D said:

maroon barchetta said:

You can't really operate a restaurant that's open 20 hours in a week. Sounds like they're running on fumes.

And yet they have been doing it for two years and a second appearance on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.
phillytex24
TyHolden said:

I hope folks will be gracious with their reviews. The first 90 days of any new restaurant can be full of imperfection. If you're OCD you might want to wait until September to eat there. It takes a little time for staff to get everything running perfectly.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Talk to me about Gringos. People seem to be very excited about this place and I've never been to one. What is it that makes it so great? Is there a restaurant whose food you can compare it to?
althormoon
A Net Full of Jello said:

Talk to me about Gringos. People seem to be very excited about this place and I've never been to one. What is it that makes it so great? Is there a restaurant whose food you can compare it to?
It's basically Chuy's but a little better quality (and a little more expensive)
Captn_Ag05
AG
Absolutely would not compare them to Chuys. Pappasitos would be the closer comparison. A little less expensive than Pappasitos but similar quality.
AggieBaseball06
AG
phillytex24 said:

TyHolden said:

I hope folks will be gracious with their reviews. The first 90 days of any new restaurant can be full of imperfection. If you're OCD you might want to wait until September to eat there. It takes a little time for staff to get everything running perfectly.

Are they going to be discounting their menu for those first 90 days? Or do they want people to pay full price for a subpar product?

I can understand a new concept having some growing pains but a chain already has established recipes, procedures, etc. Bring some of your experienced staff from your other locations and these problems should work themselves out pretty quickly.
TommyBrady
AG
Everybody hold off on going to Gringos for the first few years I'll eat there and make sure it's up to standard before you go and waste your time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.