BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

660,970 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love it. The more we can concentrate students over there, the better.
rocketscience
AG
Another new building in downtown Bryan! This will be located at 608 N. Bryan Avenue and West Pruitt Street.

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/03/28/new-mixed-use-development-break-ground-downtown-bryan/

Edit to add they also are developing a development on W 33rd St and one at Sims and W 31st St.

W 33rd St.:
https://instagr.am/p/CZ5125YAgo4

halibut sinclair
Bojangles coming to Bryan:
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/03/29/bojangles-announces-its-coming-bryan-college-station/
AG81
AG
halibut sinclair said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/03/29/bojangles-announces-its-coming-bryan-college-station/
Awesome, another fried chicken place. We need more of those.
Tookieclothespin
AG
AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

go for the biscuits.
FJB
doubledog
AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Do we really need a NC company on how to fry chicken. What is next NC BBQ?
cstxfn
So how does Bojangles fried chicken compare to the others?
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think of Bojangles as a biscuit restaurant that happens to serve chicken.
Bullpen Chias
AG
cstxfn said:

So how does Bojangles fried chicken compare to the others?

I'd be a little concerned for them. Just a personal anecdote. Moved to NC in the 90s. Was not a fan of the restaurant for several years. Everything tasted like chicken grease. Over the years, it grew on me and became a family favorite, but will people in Texas be that patient when there are other options.

Chicken strips are fried hard. A lot of crisp, not a lot of meat. Regular fried chicken is fine. Sides are pretty good.

Fries are thicker with some peel on the tips and they hit them pretty hard with a Cajun dust.

Best things on the menu are Cajun Filet biscuit (better than CFA) and the Bo-berry biscuit - a biscuit with blueberry baked in and icing on top.

TommyBrady
AG
Bojangles will do just fine. The Bo-Berry Biscuit is incredibly good and breakfast as a whole is awesome. I'm excited that we are starting to attract different options.
Collectonian
doubledog said:

Do we really need a NC company on how to fry chicken. What is next NC BBQ?
I can dream!
EBrazosAg
AG
Ok - so the final nail in the coffin. What a horrible location - with its drainage challenges- for a great location.

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/03/30/site-owned-by-pappadeaux-seafood-kitchen-now-available-ground-lease/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Boomtown BBQ is outta business.

Aggie@state.gov
AG
They closed about a month ago.

https://www.kagstv.com/article/news/local/boomtown-bbq-why-did-it-close/499-f3c1f35f-cd10-44dc-bf41-7e5560407437
phillytex24
Pappadeaux should buy Applebees! They love to buy old buildings and renovate them into restaurants. It would be packed, and a great place for them. The City Of College Station needs to open the street with access behind Century Square so people can have another point of access from Hensel; on the backside of Northpoint. Too much traffic on University.
phillytex24
Coopers aint gonna last. $30 for me to eat there! Plus hard to get to. Not going back.
phillytex24
Because it's one of the last restaurants to serve fresh rolls, like most restaurants did in the 1990s. Sadly, the 2000s low carb craze killed that!
PS3D
AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Well, excepting some exotic restaurants like Nigerian cuisine, do you roll your eyes at everything? "Wow, an IKEA? ANOTHER furniture store? Wow, a Trader Joe's? ANOTHER grocery store?"
PS3D
phillytex24 said:

Pappadeaux should buy Applebees! They love to buy old buildings and renovate them into restaurants. It would be packed, and a great place for them. The City Of College Station needs to open the street with access behind Century Square so people can have another point of access from Hensel; on the backside of Northpoint. Too much traffic on University.
No, they don't buy old restaurant sites like you describe. Maybe they invest in historic buildings, but a mid-1990s build Applebee's isn't exactly one of a kind historic architecture.
TheOC16
AG
phillytex24 said:

Coopers aint gonna last. $30 for me to eat there! Plus hard to get to. Not going back.
That's ridiculous. It's free to eat there if you just choose the right menu items. The only thing to complain about is how much gas you'll have.
UmustBKidding
They do own the building that lupe tortilla occupies along with the gas station in front.
UmustBKidding
Hensel is a university owned road and there likely is little upside and lots of reconstruction cost for them to open access through there.
AG81
AG
phillytex24 said:

We go regularly and my wife and I eat for $30 COMBINED. If you spent $30 just for you and didn't take home leftovers, you have a portion control problem. That's on you, not Cooper's. Cooper's will outlast you.
AG81
AG
PS3D said:

AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Well, excepting some exotic restaurants like Nigerian cuisine, do you roll your eyes at everything? "Wow, an IKEA? ANOTHER furniture store? Wow, a Trader Joe's? ANOTHER grocery store?"

So you think we don't have enough fried chicken places in town. Got it. Your analogy utterly fails.
Broncos
AG81 said:

phillytex24 said:

We go regularly and my wife and I eat for $30 COMBINED. If you spent $30 just for you and didn't take home leftovers, you have a portion control problem. That's on you, not Cooper's. Cooper's will outlast you.
This is a lot of food for $29.99!

2 FRIEND FEAST
1/2 lb. Brisket
1/2 Link Sausage
Pint of Homemade Side
Bread - 4 Slices
BBQ Sauce - 8oz.
Onions, Pickles and Jalapeños
Pint of Pinto Beans
AggieBaseball06
AG
AG81 said:

PS3D said:

AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

So you think we don't have enough fried chicken places in town. Got it. Your analogy utterly fails.

If you believe in Economics, then we'll soon find out if we have "enough" fried chicken places or not. If they all can stay open, then clearly the market dictated that there was room for expansion. If one or more of them fails, then we had "enough".
BiochemAg97
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

AG81 said:

PS3D said:

AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

If you believe in Economics, then we'll soon find out if we have "enough" fried chicken places or not. If they all can stay open, then clearly the market dictated that there was room for expansion. If one or more of them fails, then we had "enough".
Alternatively, we might have enough but the new place draws enough business away from others to cause someone else to close, but that suggests the one that fails wasn't good enough.
Bullpen Chias
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

AG81 said:

PS3D said:

AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Bush's didn't make it. Weird drive thru setup didn't help.
Animal Eight 84
AG
phillytex24 said:

I read that the Applebee's location has a 1955 restrictive covenant in the warranty deed preventing the land from ever being used for serving alcohol or dancing.

There were legal notices in the Jan 31 Eagle of court hearings by the current property owners suing the heirs to get the restrictions extinguished and voided.

I thought it was interesting so I took a screenshot of the legal notice. .
phillytex24
UmustBKidding said:

Hensel is a university owned road and there likely is little upside and lots of reconstruction cost for them to open access through there.

There's actually already a road that goes through there. The City has had it blocked off since construction began on Century Square and hasn't maintained it. If you're turning from Texas onto Hensel, the road is immediately to the left of the new stop sign; just after the entrance to Northpoint. The road runs along the backside of Northpoint apartments with access to Century Square Drive/Calvin Moore Avenue. You can see it clearly on Google Maps. Why it's not open to the public yet is beyond me. It could give much relief to the already congested University Drive.
CEAg78
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

phillytex24 said:

I read that the Applebee's location has a 1955 restrictive covenant in the warranty deed preventing the land from ever being used for serving alcohol or dancing.

There were legal notices in the Jan 31 Eagle of court hearings by the current property owners suing the heirs to get the restrictions extinguished and voided.

Interesting. But Applebee's served alcohol. I don't think someone trying to enforce that covenant was their downfall.
Somebody has to lose. Might as well be t.u.
techno-ag
AG
CEAg78 said:

Animal Eight 84 said:

phillytex24 said:

Interesting. But Applebee's served alcohol. I don't think someone trying to enforce that covenant was their downfall.
Thinking the same thing. And if it wasn't enforced for them it probably won't be for the next restaurant.
trouble
AG
Right? Happy hour was the only reason to go to Applebee's
maroon barchetta
They meant to put onions on my hamburger steak.
Animal Eight 84
AG
CEAg78 said:

Animal Eight 84 said:

phillytex24 said:

No opinion on why Applebee's closed, I never ate there.

The current 2022 property owners apparently have a different opinion about that covenant if they're willing to spend $$$ in legal fees to get it removed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.