BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

666,014 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The larger view here is about the business model rather than feelings about what is liked best.

It's clear that Grub copied the Hopdoddy model if anyone is aware of the history. The guys who invented ZTejas and Eddie V's made HopDoddy years before Grub.

The Grub guys are former Outback guys who are connected and inspired.

The evolution of everything makes sense.
m3prsive
Hyatt House near Bryan Target has now hiring signs. Dairy Queen in Caprock isn't happening, land is for sale. Rumor is that QT Gas Station is coming to the corner of Fitch & 6, across the Exxon.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Hopdoddy seems like the worst restaurant value in town. Any other nominations?
We only went once, but all of our burgers were incredibly dry. The fries were pretty good, but I was pretty put out about spending what we did for a burger with no flavor and so dry. Not interested in going back.
bushytailed
AG
Hopdoddy is good for getting a cocktail or beer to-go and sitting out on the green space.
txgardengirl
Anytime fitness on University is open

What's going up by PetSmart in TowerPoint? That's a lot of site work with the elevation!
Texasclipper
AG
AG81 said:

AgSportsFan said:

Unless you consider the fact that Bastrop and the 290 locations are no where near an interstate.

Two points, and one has been made. Hwy 6 in College Station doesn't remotely have the traffic that 290 and the 71/21 intersection in Bastrop has. Not remotely. Second, the interstate model is their plan GOING FORWARD. Past business decisions doesn't mean they'll make those same business decisions in the future.
That's a shame since Buccee's helped put Chick's out of business.
AggiePhil
AG
m3prsive said:

Dairy Queen in Caprock isn't happening, land is for sale.

Damn, that's a shame. We were excited about that one.

Also not crazy about the QT news. Meh.
PS3D
AggiePhil said:

Also not crazy about the QT news. Meh.

No one knows a thing about that. It was speculated to be a Buc-ee's, then denied based on comments the CEO made, then speculated to be a "similar gas station", which I speculated that "the closest thing that comes to that is QuikTrip", then it morphed into QuikTrip.

As the rumor mill is mutating quicker than COVID, I would take any "Buc-ee's/not Buc-ee's" rumors with a grain of salt. Hell, it could be a new Kroger for all we know.
MS08
AG
From what I know from the real estate brokerage side, it is going to be a 6 acre C-store or thereabouts and will be subdivided into other land parcels/pad sites. Development will morph as time goes by. However, C-store is happening and in process; deed restricted that it could not be something the size of Bucees though.
ElephantRider
AG
I'd be down with a QT. That area needs a good c-store, and QT is probably the next best thing if it can't be a Bucees.
bcstx06
Am I the only person not obsessed with gas stations? I mean I love stopping at Buccees on 290, but I couldn't care less if it comes here. Gas stations are soon to be a thing of the the past. If it were up to me developing that corner, I would think much grander.
AvantGarde_CollegePrep
Avant Garde - College Prep Services has moved from their Longmire location and has expanded into a 1500sf of retail space at 3104 Texas Avenue South, College Station. They are situated between Van Stavern Vet Clinic and Brazos Spine.
Tookieclothespin
AG
Taz. I don't go to Mexican restaurants that charge for chips/salsa just as I don't go to Indian or Chinese restaurants that make you pay extra for plain rice with your entree.
FJB
trouble
AG
I can't think of any entree I've ordered at Taz that didn't come with rice.
MadDog73
AG
Metronet starting installation of fiber optic cable in Austin's Colony. Goodbye Suddenlink!
Bullpen Chias
AG
Snooze was packed at 11:30am this morning. Parking filled up their shared lot with Five Guys, Starbucks and spilled over into Primrose!

BCS was way short on 3-star hotels and Brunch places about four years ago. Now they're everywhere. And the brunch places all seem to be thriving.
halibut sinclair
MadDog73 said:

Metronet starting installation of fiber optic cable in Austin's Colony. Goodbye Suddenlink!

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!
FlyRod
Can I buy you a beer?

bcstx06 said:

Am I the only person not obsessed with gas stations? I mean I love stopping at Buccees on 290, but I couldn't care less if it comes here. Gas stations are soon to be a thing of the the past. If it were up to me developing that corner, I would think much grander.
DimeBox17
AG
I've only been in a QT a couple of times and I didn't see anything special about it. Both of them looked newer and were nice. Neither of them had anything another C-store doesn't unless there's a food concept in them that I haven't seen. I will agree that there's not a "go-to" C-store in BCS.
BCSWguru
DimeBox17 said:

I've only been in a QT a couple of times and I didn't see anything special about it. Both of them looked newer and were nice. Neither of them had anything another C-store doesn't unless there's a food concept in them that I haven't seen. I will agree that there's not a "go-to" C-store in BCS.
cinnamon rolls please
AgsWin2011
AG
When I lived in DFW I used to always get taquitos from QT. They were awesome. If we aren't going to be getting a Bucees, my vote would be for a QT.
ElephantRider
AG
QT has great coffee, also
trouble
AG
I only care about gas stations when I'm traveling.
Jason86
AG
In for the wall of icee drinks at QT
AggiePhil
AG
ElephantRider said:

QT has great coffee, also

People said the same thing about Dunkin Donuts.
Tookieclothespin
AG
well good. they must have changed their ways. it used to be "do you want rice with that?" and I'd say "yes" and see a charge on the bill for it.
FJB
TSJ
AG
The best part about QT; I think they are the last gas station to still offering free air. Also they have really figured out how make their cashiers really fast with purchases.
ElephantRider
AG
TSJ said:

The best part about QT; I think they are the last gas station to still offering free air. Also they have really figured out how make their cashiers really fast with purchases.

Just have them work two registers at once
bcstx06
Another axe throwing place is going in in the Kohl's shopping center.

I'll update the front page soon.

Edit: Costco coming soon sign is now up on HWY 6 feeder road. Lots of site work happening.
One Louder
AG
bcstx06 said:

I noticed a sign for Hotworx in Bryan on University Drive East of Copperfield. That's the third on in this area correct?

Yes, it's the third location in the area and the only one in Bryan. I work out at the Bryan location.
dr_boogs
AG
Anyone know what's going in right on Fitch and 6, E side of the hwy across from the Exxon/Mooya's? Saw the sold sign and a survey crew today.
chickencoupe16
AG
dr_boogs said:

Anyone know what's going in right on Fitch and 6, E side of the hwy across from the Exxon/Mooya's? Saw the sold sign and a survey crew today.

Not a Bucees
MsDoubleD81
AG
I think a few posts up says Quick Trip.
texasaggie04
AG
Anybody know the status of Art of War in downtown Bryan? They were closed the other night and Google says they're "temporarily closed". But I can't find any information on their website or social media.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks. I read 2 pages back, saw the banter about QT and Bucees but a location wasn't mentioned (at least that far back).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.