BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

665,996 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
Collectonian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JayHowdy! said:

Collectonian said:

woodiewood1 said:

Fedex on university is moving down the street next to 5 guys on April 18th.

Oh great... will be almost impossible to get to. That parking lot is constantly packed and the Starbucks line is always blocking the entrance
Just go after 2 PM. Snooze is closed and Starbucks is in their mid-day slow period.
Plan ahead.
Actually tried to Five Guys around 2 on a week day and it was blocked still. Was wild.

I never really had an issue with the current location for parking, but easy enough to come in the backway and avoid University LOL
bcstx06
maroon barchetta said:

Collectonian said:

woodiewood1 said:

Oh great... will be almost impossible to get to. That parking lot is constantly packed and the Starbucks line is always blocking the entrance

Thank goodness they will no longer be located across the street from tens of thousands of students that might need to ship or pick up a package.

I kinda hate that they are moving, but now that site can be redeveloped. I wonder what will go in there? Another high rise with retail on the ground floor?

I'm other news, the 3rd area Rapid Express Car Wash is finally starting construction on West Villa Maria in the Rudder's Landing Center.

A Take 5 oil change business is going in at Hwy 21 and North Texas Ave.

I know I've been saying I'll update the front page, I will Sunday.
woodiewood1
bcstx06 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Collectonian said:

woodiewood1 said:

Thank goodness they will no longer be located across the street from tens of thousands of students that might need to ship or pick up a package.

I kinda hate that they are moving, but now that site can be redeveloped. I wonder what will go in there? Another high rise with retail on the ground floor?

I'm other news, the 3rd area Rapid Express Car Wash is finally starting construction on West Villa Maria in the Rudder's Landing Center.

A Take 5 oil change business is going in at Hwy 21 and North Texas Ave.

I know I've been saying I'll update the front page, I will Sunday.
They had no choice but to move, the landlord is selling the property. The clerk at FEx had heard that the chuch next door is buying it. The church owns the parking lot behind FEx.
TommyBrady
AG
Yay more of the most prized real estate going to churches so they can pay property taxes and kill development of our night life area
woodiewood1
TommyBrady said:

Yay more of the most prized real estate going to churches so they can pay property taxes and kill development of our night life area
Night life area? West between it and the North Gate night life area for two blocks is four or five church buildings and Aggieland credit union. To the east is two high rise apartment complexes, Taco bell and McDonalds.
rocketscience
AG
TommyBrady said:

If the Methodists are clever they'll do what the Lutherans did and lease the land to a developer to build apartments on (St. Mary's also has plans to do this); they'd have a nice, steady revenue stream for a couple of decades.
TommyBrady
AG
You think two blocks from NG is too far to continue a bar area? The churches in the NG area have killed the potential growth of NG. 70,000 students and we are stuck to a tiny area for nightlife, while the churches hold onto the land that could bring in a huge amount of tax dollars. The fact that the best small concert venue is Harrys is a disgrace.

At least the Lutherans allowed for progress while still having a presence in the new apartment high rise. We need more of them to wise up.
maroon barchetta
St. Mary's is about to have a NICE concert venue if they have an open mind.

Is U2 a Catholic band? We could bring them in to christen it.
bushytailed
AG
AMUMC is about to celebrate its 99th anniversary. Pretty sure it'll continue to be here longer than a student's need for "nightlife".
rocketscience
AG
TommyBrady said:

You think two blocks from NG is too far to continue a bar area? The churches in the NG area have killed the potential growth of NG. 70,000 students and we are stuck to a tiny area for nightlife, while the churches hold onto the land that could bring in a huge amount of tax dollars. The fact that the best small concert venue is Harrys is a disgrace.

At least the Lutherans allowed for progress while still having a presence in the new apartment high rise. We need more of them to wise up.
Could have an even better nightlife area if the city would allow the Northgate lot to be redeveloped into bars. Think how awesome the area would be if the other side of the Northgate Promenade was a few more bars with front and back entrances like the ones along University instead of a parking lot. Doing the same to the parking lot at Church and College Main would really make the area amazing.
TommyBrady
AG
Agreed! They half way started it with Logie's but then the baptists won't sell that lot next to it. Its sad knowing how amazing that area could be with the proper leadership.

Hopefully in the future we can have the kind of entertainment the students and citizens deserve.
BCSWguru
deserve? haha.
maroon barchetta
LSCSN said:

deserve? haha.
FILO505
AG
TommyBrady said:

Agreed! They half way started it with Logie's but then the baptists won't sell that lot next to it. Its sad knowing how amazing that area could be with the proper leadership.

Hopefully in the future we can have the kind of entertainment the students and citizens deserve.

Welcome to the world of land owners. Complain all you want, but it comes down to ROI. Maybe Southgate can get their **** together one day and provide something worth a damn to all those residents
eloc62
Has anybody heard about the Renegade Kitchen BCS? I found them tonight and was intrigued by the Gumbaux Cajun Catering Company. Looks like they have a lot of other food places cooking there also. Anybody tried any of these places?
australopithecus robustus
Other side of the promenade? So get rid of more parking to make more bars to have less parking? Interesting
PS3D
The Logie's building has been there since the 1970s at least, nothing in the Northgate Promenade was actually built new in the late 1990s (except for the restrooms). Effectively the only thing that was done is tear down a building on the west side near the gas station down for additional parking, and close off a block of Patricia as a pedestrian area. Whatever grander plans there were probably were scrapped years ago.
Which building on the west side? The only one I know of next to the gas station is The Backyard, which doesn't make sense as the rear area is used and it's the busiest bar in Northgate.
PS3D
I don't want to self-promote but 301 Patricia was torn down around 1997. It was where Burger Boy was (in its first incarnation) as well as a UtoteM convenience store prior to 1984. It was an unremarkable brick building built in the late 1960s.
Ahh, yes I recall. I suppose I misunderstood your implication.

With the continued gentrification of the area, it's only a matter of time that things will "pop out" elsewhere in the periphery.
rocketscience
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Other side of the promenade? So get rid of more parking to make more bars to have less parking? Interesting
You want students driving to and (more importantly) from bars? That's not an opinion I've heard before. Interesting.

And yes, there's plenty of other parking between the Northgate Garage, the university's Northside Garage, and church parking lots that rent nightly but there's also a lessening need for parking because of Uber/Lyft and more residents in walking distance (I think the Lutheran tower will have 800 beds).
1). It's not just students
2) parking is still a struggle up there. It's been underparked for years even with the addition of the garage. The city systematically started removing on street parking over the years. Demand has increased whilst inventory has decreased. That's the reality.
MS08
AG
Get to the voting polls for local elections, especially council seats, and vote for the business minded, pro economic development candidates. Instead of the white haired academics who have ruled our city (CS) for better part of 20 years.
maroon barchetta
MS08 said:

Get to the voting polls for local elections, especially council seats, and vote for the business minded, pro economic development candidates. Instead of the white haired academics who have ruled our city (CS) for better part of 20 years.

Umm, hello, they know better than us plebes. Just ask them.
kaj63
eloc62 said:

Has anybody heard about the Renegade Kitchen BCS? I found them tonight and was intrigued by the Gumbaux Cajun Catering Company. Looks like they have a lot of other food places cooking there also. Anybody tried any of these places?
I have a little knowledge about Gumbeaux Cajun Catering . We are doing a pop-up tomorrow, 2/5, from 11-2 at Old Bryan Marketplace in downtown Bryan. We will have shrimp, chicken and sausage jambalaya, Cajun crawfish pasta and chocolate bread pudding with amaretto sauce. Come see us!

As to your question, Tio Tamale, Sweet Eve Creations, Wild Garlic Pizza, Charlie Mac and others cook out of the shared use commercial kitchen at Renegade. Zeitman's was also based out of there before he opened the new grocery store.
trouble
AG
So many good people cooking over there!
deh40
AG
MS08 said:

Yep, people complain and just continue to let the same cronies get elected. Wasn't the turnout for the city council runoff something pitiful like 4%?
MS08
AG
deh40 said:

MS08 said:

Yep, people complain and just continue to let the same cronies get elected. Wasn't the turnout for the city council runoff something pitiful like 4%?

It was an awful turnout! So disappointing. Really good number showed up for November elections. If the same amount would have showed up, pro economic development candidate would have had a real shot to get some fresh perspective in there! Ugh.
AG81
AG
MS08 said:

20 years? You must be new around here.
EBrazosAg
AG
Yeah. There are a bunch of CS members that will set you straight and understand how you must be assimilated into the Borg.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hammerheadjim
AG
TommyBrady said:

That's an awful big chip on your shoulder.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
trouble
AG
Crumbl Cookies has announced their grand opening will be March 4th.
woodiewood1
TommyBrady said:

you do realize that the churches built there when A&M had about 1,200 students and the only thing in North Gate?
maroon barchetta
woodiewood1 said:

TommyBrady said:

you do realize that the churches built there when A&M had about 1,200 students and the only thing in North Gate?

Don't go bringing facts into this discussion.
susieq30
St. Mary's has been there since 1958. It is the Catholic Church for the students of A&M and Blinn. There are currently around 17,000 Catholic students at A&M and Blinn. There are seven Masses said on the weekend to accommodate so many students. The new church will accommodate nearly twice as many students. And the location makes it very convenient for students to walk to church.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.