BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

664,420 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TommyBrady said:

Gringos was amazing - I got the Pollo Marisco and my gf got the Mariachi. Both were great, but mine was truly delicious with the shrimp and crawfish tails to go along with well seasoned chicken. The wait staff were great. We will def be back and hope it has great success.

P.S. - Use the online waiting list so you don't have to sit outside for so long. They text you and you can see how long you have.

It's a little higher priced than most of the Mexican food spots in town but it was very, very good Saturday. The atmosphere and seating is very nice. I really enjoyed having waitstaff and all the other workers dress professionally and similar. Makes things a little classy and was a good experience.

I know I am old fashioned and resist changes, but I went to a chain store yesterday and the manager had jeans on that had numerous holes up and down both legs with both full knees showing. One employee had a shirt on that was wrinkled to the point I suspect she slept in it. i guess it's fine, but doesn't present a great impression to me, but I am over 35.

I just am sure glad the manager survived the bear attack.

ElephantRider
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

ElephantRider said:

Had So-Fly yesterday. I already knew this from the previous location, but it's incredible. The Mutha Clucka is the best chicken sandwich I've ever had, period.

I do have a question about the pyro nuggets, though. Did the recipe change there? They were still good, but seemed different that what I remember. They seemed less spicy.

Thank you so much!

The nuggets are not automatically pyro, you have to request them that way with the sriracha dust. If we sold them automatically pyro, the first car load of children that came through with mom and dad would get lit up! Not the preferred first impression lol.
I realize that and I definitely ordered them pyro, I just thought they were much less spicy. But it's been a while, so it could just be my memory.
Costa and Andreas
Dang ok. Well could be a training/new staff thing. Either way I'd get on the side. Best way is for you to control it ultimately. If you like hot, you've got to try the Nellyville sandwich (our version of Nashville). We use morita oil. So good, slightly smoky.
armymom
Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't have the time to weed through all the food critic comments to see what is building on the feeder road south of Coopers. Anyone know off hand?
happyinBCS
carmax
The Anchor
AG
armymom said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't have the time to weed through all the food critic comments to see what is building on the feeder road south of Coopers. Anyone know off hand?

No kidding. I've almost given up on this thread as it seems 90% of the last 5-10 pages have nothing to do with coming or going. Mostly food reviews or similar.
MiMi
S
Quote:

I've almost given up on this thread as it seems 90% of the last 5-10 pages have nothing to do with coming or going.
And the front page has not been updated in a while.
PS3D
So was it ever confirmed that Joe's was closed or not?
trouble
AG
Yes, they are.
bcstx06
MiMi said:

Quote:

I've almost given up on this thread as it seems 90% of the last 5-10 pages have nothing to do with coming or going.
And the front page has not been updated in a while.

Sorry, I've been meaning to update it. I'll have it updated by Sunday.
The Anchor
AG
Take your time. I keep up with the thread and rarely check the first page. Keep up the good work, friend.
bcstx06
woodiewood1 said:

bcstx06 said:

woodiewood1 said:

techno-ag said:

RELLIS needs closer food options too. Someday.
Going to be a decade or two before you get a few chain fast food operations out there. Not enough traffic.

Looks like the city is working to make it much sooner then you think.
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/21/city-bryan-hosting-public-meeting-proposed-riverside-innovation-corridor/?outputType=amp
I see that, but I don't think that there will be enough traffic for enough hours each day to attract free standing chain food stores for many, many years. Even the Caldwell Whatabuger even with the nearby population is struggling. I would think that a chain would have much better location options than out there for the next decade?

The best bet there would be a large multi-tenant convenience store that has a WB or McDonalds, etc. attached or inside. I can see that working.

I didn't know the Caldwell Whataburger wasn't doing great. I guess a town with less than 4,000 people can't really support a restaurant like Whataburger even with HWY 21 traffic.

On the other hand, Bryan has several neighborhoods going up in that general area especially along Jones Road that will easily add more than 4,000 people to that area of town. With RELLIS, the HSC, and the Biocorridor added to that, I see development starting soon.

But like you said, a convenience store that has a fast food restaurant would be a good first start. That's basically how South College Station started with growth. The convenience store that had the McDonalds (now Mooyahs) at the corner of WD Fitch and HWY 6 was the first development I remember out that far, now look at that area.

It's exciting to see that the city of Bryan wants basically high dense high rise type development as far as housing goes along the Riverside corridor. It's going to be cool to drive down Riverside and see high rises with the hilly terrain.
Maybe the Galindo development that was supposed to happen near here will move to HWY 47.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Luxury-condominium-towers-being-planned-in-Bryan-560176201.html

Edit: Almost forgot, plans were submitted to the City of Bryan I think last year for a convenience store along HWY 47. I think it was somewhere between Villa Maria and Lenard Rd. I don't know what's happening with that plan now.
wareagle044
Anyone been to The Stretch Lab before? Seems one is coming to South CS.

dilliam
Bryan seems to be making all the right planning moves lately with this and the midtown rezoning. They're encouraging higher density which is amazing for the future of bryan. Meanwhile, college station builds a glorified subdivision with their 'midtown'.
TommyBrady
AG
Yeah all those apartments being built right now in CS Midtown I guess don't count. Solid analysis.
bcstx06
dilliam said:

Bryan seems to be making all the right planning moves lately with this and the midtown rezoning. They're encouraging higher density which is amazing for the future of bryan. Meanwhile, college station builds a glorified subdivision with their 'midtown'.

Bryan's Midtown is basically the gentrification of an older area of town between the Northgate area and Downtown. College Station's Midtown is a planned development. The rendering I have seen look really nice for the College Station Midtown.

On another note, what is happening at Easterwood Airport? Are they expanding or something? Lots of construction, maybe larger runways for larger plans?
TommyBrady
AG
Easterwood is expanding Taxiway Alpha and will allow for more aircraft parking and for easier access to the runway for larger planes. It was one of the grants that the FAA hands out.
rptsAg03
I don't know if I missed this, but what happened to Aaron Automotive? It looks closed but there are still cars in the garage? Seemed like a decent shop when we took our vehicle there.
toolshed
AG
According to Charlie Mac that has the burger trailer there, they were bought out by someone else, if I recall correctly.
classicdoug
AG
rptsAg03 said:

I don't know if I missed this, but what happened to Aaron Automotive? It looks closed but there are still cars in the garage? Seemed like a decent shop when we took our vehicle there.
Gladney Automotive is using the shop for their overflow work.
ElephantRider
AG
toolshed said:

According to Charlie Mac that has the burger trailer there, they were bought out by someone else, if I recall correctly.
I had heard they went out of business, and then Gladney took over the building after the fact. Could be wrong though.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Boot Barn opens this weekend. Costco on August 4, and Stampede is opening sometime in August.
Captn_Ag05
AG
HTeaO (https://hteao.com/) is building a location at Wellborn and Lonnie Lane (north of Holleman).
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Facebook shows La Carreta reopened at the same old address

Captn_Ag05 said:

HTeaO (https://hteao.com/) is building a location at Wellborn and Lonnie Lane (north of Holleman).

Looks positioned to be the Dutch Bros. of iced tea.
maroon barchetta
The Brazos Kid said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Looks positioned to be the Dutch Bros. of iced tea.

Better be the best tea since Boston in the late 1700's. It may need to have medicinal qualities to succeed.

CBDTea? Now there is a million dollar idea. [/Cosmo Kramer]

Starbucks and Dutch Bros and Kung Fu Tea and Share Tea and probably some others are already here.

Better make sure it's not too hot.

histag10
AG
HTeaO is freaking amazing! I have been waiting on them to open here (saw a few years back someone had a franchise for College Station). Every time we are in Midland, we try to grab a gallon to bring back with us. It's all iced tea. Sweet coconut is probably my favorite
bcstx06
histag10 said:

HTeaO is freaking amazing! I have been waiting on them to cone here (saw a few years back someone had a franchise for College Station). Everything we are in Midland, we try to grab a gallon to bring back with us. It's all iced tea. Sweet coconut is probably my favorite

The coconut is my favorite flavor also.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I'm a huge fan of HTeaO as well.
bcstx06
Ok, I have some what updated the front page, I know I'm missing a lot and I will update more this week. If you guys see anything I missed, please point it out. Thanks
mgreen
I agreee on Boots - not a fan at all. I drink tea if that is my only other choice.
Bullpen Chias
AG
mgreen said:

I agreee on Boots - not a fan at all. I drink tea if that is my only other choice.

Can one of the restaurant establishment owners run me through the financials on Boots vs legacy brands? Is it a huge difference?
ElephantRider
AG
Boots must be really cheap because it's terrible
UmustBKidding
Don't remember the exact numbers related to me by well known restaurant owner but coke was 0.14c serving, pepsi was maybe 0.08 and boots was under 0.05. Also have been told there may be other reasons its good to sell boots
I agree horrible, and places its substituted for coke without saying peeve me. I sometimes have to entertain for work and when they order something mixed with coke and get mixed with boots no one is happy especially me pay 7$ for it.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
I prefer Boots products to Pepsi products, unless they have Diet Dr Pepper in the Pepsi machine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.