BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

661,117 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quantumleap said:

halibut sinclair said:

Daquiri Barn is now open on 29th across from St. Joseph.

FYI, the new Bryan location has a special for their opening day today (4/7) only, for their "Yard Cup" for $10 even, which can be used for reduced price refills in the future (as long as it is brought back clean).

My college days being long behind me, I though I would try out the unique experience of drive through alcohol on demand, and they were pretty tasty, although strong (a bonus for regular drinkers, though a hindrance for light-weights like me)!
Do they use booze, or are the drinks wine-based?
quantumleap
halibut sinclair said:

quantumleap said:

halibut sinclair said:

Daquiri Barn is now open on 29th across from St. Joseph.

FYI, the new Bryan location has a special for their opening day today (4/7) only, for their "Yard Cup" for $10 even, which can be used for reduced price refills in the future (as long as it is brought back clean).

My college days being long behind me, I though I would try out the unique experience of drive through alcohol on demand, and they were pretty tasty, although strong (a bonus for regular drinkers, though a hindrance for light-weights like me)!

Definitely used booze, pretty sure it was vodka based!
Collectonian
quantumleap said:

halibut sinclair said:

I wondered what they used - I got one from the original location for my birthday, and it did not taste like rum or vodka to me, so I wasn't sure if it was wine or if it was tequila or something
JMac03
AG
They have always been wine based. A few years ago they go s better formula that is supposed to taste better and be hungover less.
Rapier108
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/04/08/i-heart-mac-cheese-reopens-after-closing-earlier-this-year/
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
quantumleap
Collectonian said:

quantumleap said:

halibut sinclair said:

I wondered what they used - I got one from the original location for my birthday, and it did not taste like rum or vodka to me, so I wasn't sure if it was wine or if it was tequila or something

Perhaps they launch their new locations with harder stuff, to get folks interested, and then switch to something else later...but I consulted with my better half this morning, and she definitely agreed that it was not wine in there, but something much stronger!
AggiePhil
AG
In my experience, all those daiquiri barn type places serve fortified wine-based drinks. They don't have the proper licensing to sell actual liquor.
trouble
AG
Yup
quantumleap
AggiePhil said:

In my experience, all those daiquiri barn type places serve fortified wine-based drinks. They don't have the proper licensing to sell actual liquor.
I can buy that it was fortified with something stronger, because it didn't taste like just wine! But what would they be adding to raise the alcohol level?
quantumleap
quantumleap said:

AggiePhil said:

I can buy that it was fortified with something stronger, because it didn't taste like just wine! But what would they be adding to raise the alcohol level?
Answering my own question, it appears that it is often brandy that is added to fortified wines...had no idea!
AggiePhil
AG
Yeah. It's basically just frozen wine cooler. Do they still sell those??
FlyRod
French restaurant "Le Petit Cochon" coming to Tower Point area.

Apparently the Napa Flats folks are involved.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Didn't mean to bring up the post from last year. But, the Old Albertsons location on University sold this week.
James Russell
AG
The Albertsons appears to have been purchased by "HCL University Park LLC" out of Houston.

Property Records

LLC Contacts

australopithecus robustus
Yeah it's Larry Levine. He'll do something nice there for sure.
PS3D
I hope it becomes Albertsons again. It's not out of the realm of possibility.
Yes, it is.

It will most definitely be the highest and best use considering the existing construction on the ground amongst other considerations. A regression like that makes little business sense all due respect.
PS3D
australopithecus robustus said:

Yes, it is.

It will most definitely be the highest and best use considering the existing construction on the ground amongst other considerations. A regression like that makes little business sense all due respect.
I disagree. Short of the Embassy Suites construction on this side of Texas Avenue, there hasn't been a lot of high-density redevelopment of anything on University Drive East. A few small office buildings have been demolished for drive-through smoothie shops and coffee shops, and it's still zoned commercial.

I say Albertsons because at the time, they sold the lease to H-E-B at a time when they were contracting and were willing to sell the lease with a package deal (H-E-B didn't want the property). While they own Randalls in Austin and Houston these days and are slowly closing stores, they are expanding in Dallas-Fort Worth once more, even reopening a closed supermarket (formerly Minyard) in Irving. The Randalls/Albertsons trucks still drive through our city on FM 2818.

Everything in the building is still set up for grocery use, it would take some work to bring fixtures in and reopen it as fully functional but still less time than it was an empty shell. Since H-E-B turned it down, the only retailers who would want such a property are other supermarket chains doing business in Texas (Kroger or Albertsons), short of any other big box store (I could see one of the smaller-format Target stores going in...but again, there's not too much difference if you were considering "highest and best use"). What are your thoughts?
maroon barchetta
Sprouts?
Trader Joe's?
Whole Paycheck?
Hittag1492
AG
Main Event?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Main event is being acquired by Dave and Busters. D&B has been focused on larger markets than Main Event, so not sure BCS will be on their radar.
Understood. Lots of words. Let's see what happens.
PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

Sprouts?
Trader Joe's?
Whole Paycheck?
Sprouts cancelled plans along UDE a decade ago; who knows what their future plans are. They'd probably occupy less than half the space.

Trader Joe's would occupy less than a quarter of the space. They haven't built any Texas stores for 7 years.

Whole Foods has deteriorated under Amazon, and their stores are still smaller than the building's footprint as it is. Plus, the demographics around UDE aren't particularly wealthy.

Factoring in their expansion plans, what they look for in an area, and how much money it would take for the city to throw at them, I'd put my money on Albertsons or Target before any of those three.

...To keep this thread moving in a good direction, Burger Mojo IS opening on Briarcrest Drive near Aldi.
JMac03
AG
Whole Paycheck
Rapier108
There are plans in the works for a Main Event type entertainment complex in the coming years, but it won't be ME or D&B.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
TyHolden
AG
PS3D said:

maroon barchetta said:

Sprouts?
Trader Joe's?
Whole Paycheck?
...To keep this thread moving in a good direction, Burger Mojo IS opening on Briarcrest Drive near Aldi.
keep the mojo going....never eaten there though
maroon barchetta
JMac03 said:

Whole Paycheck
scd88
AG
I had to look up what Whole Paycheck meant. It is 100% spot on. Well played. Lol
AgProgrammer
AG
Per KBTX, Public & Main (Cafe Eccell) shut its doors today.
Collectonian
Chicken & Oil has announced they will remain closed indefinitely due to the fire last week.
Collectonian
AgProgrammer said:

They also noted the So-Fly Chicken aspect will open a stand-alone location later.
scd88
AG
AgProgrammer said:

This one surprises me a bit. I feel like they were always crowded, but it's not like I went to eat there a lot. They had a huge menu - jack of all trades, masters of none.
KidDoc
AG
AgProgrammer said:

I went once and enjoyed it, interesting concept overall but I missed Cafe Eccel.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
Seems like the owners are all about trying different "concepts" rather than sticking with something that has some staying power and consistency.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Seems like the owners are all about trying different "concepts" rather than sticking with something that has some staying power and consistency.
Cafe Eccell was around for quite awhile. If I remember right, COVID is the reason for the switch to Public & Main?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.