BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

664,546 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trouble said:

There's one in the Target parking lot

But that's ALL THE WAY up in Bryan. What about the college station residents along east University? They need mail salons closer!
Broncos
..and one in the shopping center at Boonville/Copperfield.
trouble
AG
Isn't that parcel that just sold also Bryan?
maroon barchetta
Prolly.

Dunno.
techno-ag
AG
trouble said:

Isn't that parcel that just sold also Bryan?
Yes the College Station Hilton Garden Inn over there is in fact on the Bryan side.
althormoon
Dollar Slice Club is now open in Northgate (where Antonio's used to be)
maroon barchetta
althormoon said:

Dollar Slice Club is now open in Northgate (where Antonio's used to be)

Too far from the bypass.
bcstx06
Texas barbeque chain Smokey Mo's TX BBQ, is looking to expand in Bryan. I wonder where?
Jemotz13
AG
That's exciting news! Smokey Mo's has good BBQ and in the Austin area usually is a good community support as well.
BiochemAg97
AG
Jemotz13 said:

That's exciting news! Smokey Mo's has good BBQ and in the Austin area usually is a good community support as well.
*has decent BBQ and a good selection of sides

FIFY
Hornbeck
Has anyone verified the fork availability? Asking for several hundred friends….
Bcs90
Heard today that Both Maria Mias and Juanita's should be opening in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
mgreen
New upscale Mexican to open in two weeks in The George/ Century Square replacing the old tapas restaurant.
toolshed
AG
That's Juanita's, mentioned above your post. Interested to finally see it open. Their food looks good from FB posts from other Houston area locations.
jja79
AG
If it's the same people operating under the same name in the Lakewood area in Houston they're ok.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
New bar coming to the old Hookah Station location in Northgate.
Project named - one 15 Lounge
HometownAg22
AG
One 15 is the place above Saki bar. Makes sense, more space I suppose
TXAG 05
AG
phillytex24 said:

Coopers aint gonna last. $30 for me to eat there! Plus hard to get to. Not going back.

It's been there 4-5 years now. I think they are doing ok. Real BBQ is just expensive.
rocketscience
AG
Parallel's 10-floor project between Wellborn and First St. is planned to start in the middle of June.
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Project/TABS2022017150

Total Wine should be open in July. I'm a big fan of their curbside order through the app function and selection of Texas wines (they have my favorite Texas wine, from William Chris).
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Project/TABS2022016833

Edit to add Parallel's other development, 315 College Main, appears to be named Rev based on branding on their website.
https://www.parallel-co.com/315-college-main
dilliam
Solid updates. 2 apartment buildings over 10 stories under construction at the same time is awesome.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I have searched a few times for the design plans for the 10-story building Parallel is planning for 1st street but have not been able to find anything. If construction starts in June, I imagine we will see something soon.
rocketscience
AG
Agreed. I'm hoping plans materialize soon for the former FedEx property to complement the Rise and Aspire. The most sustainable and cheapest way to decrease rush hour traffic in BCS is to increase density in Northgate!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Update on the potential Military Heritage Center at Veteran's Park. They have around $4 million more to raise to reach their goal.

https://wtaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/CScoun041422MilHerCtrPrez.pdf
rocketscience
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Update on the potential Military Heritage Center at Veteran's Park. They have around $4 million more to raise to reach their goal.

https://wtaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/CScoun041422MilHerCtrPrez.pdf
I'm surprised they're still pursuing their own location and not partnering with the museum A&M is planning.
https://pathforward.tamu.edu/_files/documents/WG8-Progress-Report-04-07-22.pdf
PS3D
rocketscience said:

Agreed. I'm hoping plans materialize soon for the former FedEx property to complement the Rise and Aspire. The most sustainable and cheapest way to decrease rush hour traffic in BCS is to increase density in Northgate!

Density is going to increase traffic, not decrease it. You think that two giant apartment buildings are adding LESS cars to University Drive than two banks did?
maroon barchetta
PS3D said:

rocketscience said:

Density is going to increase traffic, not decrease it. You think that two giant apartment buildings are adding LESS cars to University Drive than two banks did?

No kidding.

This isn't…rocket science

YEEEEAAAHHHHHH!

kraut
AG
maroon barchetta said:

PS3D said:

rocketscience said:

No kidding.

YEEEEAAAHHHHHH!

Well he's not wrong. Increasing the student density in Northgate - walking distance from TAMU - will decrease the amount of students driving to/from campus.

PS3D
kraut said:

maroon barchetta said:

PS3D said:

rocketscience said:

No kidding.

YEEEEAAAHHHHHH!

Well he's not wrong. Increasing the student density in Northgate - walking distance from TAMU - will decrease the amount of students driving to/from campus.
Actually, he IS wrong, because those students just don't go to campus, they go to other restaurants, grocery stores, churches, back home, everywhere else, and they all have to go on University Drive. A quarter of the floors on those buildings is a parking garage!
rocketscience
AG
PS3D said:

kraut said:

maroon barchetta said:

PS3D said:

rocketscience said:

No kidding.

YEEEEAAAHHHHHH!

Actually, he IS wrong, because those students just don't go to campus, they go to other restaurants, grocery stores, churches, back home, everywhere else, and they all have to go on University Drive. A quarter of the floors on those buildings is a parking garage!
What I said was "rush hour traffic". That excludes the cases you mentioned (depending on the time you do them). Yes, moving students to within walking distance of campus has the potential to decrease rush hour car trips by up to however many beds are added there.
Hornbeck
Better roadway planning, like having an east west expressway , or make 2818 limited access, would decrease traffic, but what do I know?
rocketscience
AG
Hornbeck said:

Better roadway planning, like having an east west expressway , or make 2818 limited access, would decrease traffic, but what do I know?
You are correct, that is a valid option to decrease traffic. That would take 5-10 years time in planning/construction and well north of $100 million in tax dollars whereas increasing density in Northgate takes less time (I think the 10 floor property is supposed to be ready for Fall 2024) and uses private dollars. I've presented this as an either or question but it really isn't one in reality; the increasing density option is just much easier and faster.
BiochemAg97
AG
This all assumes "rush hour" is caused by students leaving campus in mass. Given students have classes at various times of the day and being a student isn't necessarily a 8-5 kinda thing, the students may be only a contributing factor.

Student housing around campus does nothing to reduce the number of university employees who get off work at 5 and want to go home.

And yes I know it gets worse when the students are in town so there is an argument that if no students had cars it might be like Christmas or summer all the time.
phillytex24
Nothing will ever decrease the traffic in Northgate, especially with the Merry-Go-Round traffic light situation. Population is going to continue to grow. They need to open road access behind Century Square so there's no need to go down University. You can do this by connecting Century Square Drive to Charles Haltom, then exiting onto Hensel towards Texas or College Ave.
snaglepuss
Maybe start a new topic for this discussion...
Bones2012
AG
Any more information on the two companies that were interested in coming to the biocorridor? One of them was called evolve biologics, I've seen they've already started construction on one manufacturing facility in the dfw area. Wondering if they are still considering bcs? If I remember correctly BISD and the city of Bryan were offering a ton of tax incentives.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.