BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

671,864 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What about Disney World? I'm in Florida and I think this would really work. Does Disney franchise?
PS3D
bcstx06 said:

FlyRod said:

Hornbeck said:

Kirk's Cleaners at Fitch and 6 is closing Dec 31.

I get to find a new place for my dress shirts.

Pride on 29th has been my go to for years. Hopefully it will stay open, unlike so many Bryan places!

The honest but sad truth is that MANY Bryan businesses (and residents) have left for South College Station and College Station's Midtown and continue to do so leaving many empty and vacant buildings, and shopping centers. The city of Bryan needs to offer incentives to revitalize Texas Ave as a start. Their current (or former incentive) of offering money to businesses owners to fix up their buildings is basically lipstick on a pig. Texas Ave should Have been widen to 6 lanes when the College Station side was, and the power lines removed. It's a lot of work, but I see no effort whatsoever. Yes, the Midtown park is looking nice, but what about the surrounding area? The incentives should be to attract mid and High-rise buildings with retail on the bottom similar to North Gate.

Not to knock Bryan, because its newer areas are really nice, but many of its older areas need a boost ASAP! But where are the restaurants (excluding hole in the wall taquerias), retail shops, etc?
Can't have redevelopment (especially higher-density redevelopment) without reason to build. Unless you like the idea of Bryan basically spending taxpayer money to build empty storefronts and overpriced apartments.

The next thing CoB should look at is Townshire. That grocery store anchor has been there for twenty years and has been empty most of that time.
Anonymous Source
S
trouble said:

Mr Hamburger not reopening

They had the best patty melt in town.
AggieBaseball06
AG
The plans that I have seen for what the CoB wants to do around Midtown (particularly in the stretch of South College University to Villa Maria) is impressive and I think we will look back on this thread in a few years and see that many of the concerns that people have are actually being worked on in the background as we speak.
ratfacemcdougal
bcstx06 said:

FlyRod said:

Hornbeck said:

Kirk's Cleaners at Fitch and 6 is closing Dec 31.

I get to find a new place for my dress shirts.

Pride on 29th has been my go to for years. Hopefully it will stay open, unlike so many Bryan places!

The honest but sad truth is that MANY Bryan businesses (and residents) have left for South College Station and College Station's Midtown and continue to do so leaving many empty and vacant buildings, and shopping centers. The city of Bryan needs to offer incentives to revitalize Texas Ave as a start. Their current (or former incentive) of offering money to businesses owners to fix up their buildings is basically lipstick on a pig. Texas Ave should Have been widen to 6 lanes when the College Station side was, and the power lines removed. It's a lot of work, but I see no effort whatsoever. Yes, the Midtown park is looking nice, but what about the surrounding area? The incentives should be to attract mid and High-rise buildings with retail on the bottom similar to North Gate.

Not to knock Bryan, because its newer areas are really nice, but many of its older areas need a boost ASAP! But where are the restaurants (excluding hole in the wall taquerias), retail shops, etc?
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/05/04/electrical-utility-infrastructure-upgrades-underway-bryan/

This topic could certainly move to its own thread, but the 2022 coming and going will be history soon so I am posting this. Texas Ave is under construction and renovation. It just takes a while. The first step is the texas / hwy 21 intersection. The city has been working on moving the electrical lines. I agree it should be widened however the space is not as available in old bryan as was available in new college station
Hornbeck
TyHolden said:

What about Disney World? I'm in Florida and I think this would really work. Does Disney franchise?

Old Macy's building would be perfect for that. #CoCS /s
halibut sinclair
It wasn't that long ago that people on here were lauding Bryan for moves they had made (Big Shots, etc.) and condemning CS for buying Macy's, etc. I can't think of any business other than Uncorked that has totally left Bryan for CS recently - correct me if I'm wrong. There are still plenty of doctors, dentists and eye guys in Bryan.

Also, lots of nice homes and new subdivisions on the east and west side of town. Many people are updating and flipping houses in the older parts of town. This ain't the 80's with the "white flight" to CS.
trouble
AG
This is my recollection as well
bcstx06
halibut sinclair said:

It wasn't that long ago that people on here were lauding Bryan for moves they had made (Big Shots, etc.) and condemning CS for buying Macy's, etc. I can't think of any business other than Uncorked that has totally left Bryan for CS recently - correct me if I'm wrong. There are still plenty of doctors, dentists and eye guys in Bryan.

Also, lots of nice homes and new subdivisions on the east and west side of town. Many people are updating and flipping houses in the older parts of town. This ain't the 80's with the "white flight" to CS.

Here is a small list that doesn't include nearly everything that has moved from Bryan to College Station. Some of these moves happen decades ago, many of them are recent moves, and many more are not mentioned

Marr Eye Center
Brazos Valley Women's Center
Brazos Valley Symphony Orchestra
Eye Care Center
Ranch Harley Davidson
BMW
Hyundai
Nissan
Honda
JCPenney
Sears
Galleria Day Spa
White Elm Day Spa
Elms Orthodontist
Hemline Boutique
Central Texas ENT
Half Price Books
Brown's Shoe Fit
Southern Smiles Family and Cosmetic Dentistry
Andrews Orthodontics
Wright Dentistry
TM5
Rollo Insurance Group
Chad Jones Law
halibut sinclair
bcstx06 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Here is a small list that doesn't include nearly everything that has moved from Bryan to College Station. Some of these moves happen decades ago, many of them are recent moves, and many more are not mentioned

Marr Eye Center
Eye Care Center
Ranch Harley Davidson
BMW
Hyundai
Nissan
Honda
JCPenney
Sears
Galleria Day Spa
White Elm Day Spa
Elms Orthodontist
Hemline Boutique
Central Texas ENT
Half Price Books
Brown's Shoe Fit
Andrews Orthodontics
Wright Dentistry
TM5
Rollo Insurance Group
Chad Jones Law

Ha - JC Penney and Sears! Like I said, "recently". Many of these are barely across the city limits. I would say many of these moved to be "closer to the bypass" than to get out of Bryan.
trouble
AG
Well, it didn't make sense for BVWC to stay in Bryan when St Joe's moved labor and delivery to CS.
ratfacemcdougal
And just plain old growth. bigger location, etc
Picadillo
Sorry to hear about Mr. Hamburger. I'm not a burger guy, but enjoyed Mr. H frequently since their burgers were exceptional.
bcstx06
Picadillo said:

Sorry to hear about Mr. Hamburger. I'm not a burger guy, but enjoyed Mr. H frequently since their burgers were exceptional.

Just a guess, but they mention that the landlord had a new opportunity, I will bet that this is where Dunkin' Donuts is going. With that said, that shopping center needs an updated look. A fresh paint job would be a big improvement.
trouble
AG
bcstx06 said:

Picadillo said:

Just a guess, but they mention that the landlord had a new opportunity, I will bet that this is where Dunkin' Donuts is going. With that said, that shopping center needs an updated look. A fresh paint job would be a big improvement.

Funny you mention that. They just had it pressure washed and are painting this week.
MiMi
S
Coming Soon sign up for Pepperoni's in the same building as Tropical Smoothie Cafe on University Dr. and Nimitz.
maroon barchetta
MiMi said:

Coming Soon sign up for Pepperoni's in the same building as Tropical Smoothie Cafe on University Dr. and Nimitz.

That place is tiny. How will that work?
bcstx06
halibut sinclair said:

bcstx06 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Marr Eye Center
Eye Care Center
Ranch Harley Davidson
BMW
Hyundai
Nissan
Honda
JCPenney
Sears
Galleria Day Spa
White Elm Day Spa
Elms Orthodontist
Hemline Boutique
Central Texas ENT
Half Price Books
Brown's Shoe Fit
Andrews Orthodontics
Wright Dentistry
TM5
Rollo Insurance Group
Chad Jones Law

Ha - JC Penney and Sears! Like I said, "recently". Many of these are barely across the city limits. I would say many of these moved to be "closer to the bypass" than to get out of Bryan.

Another recent one Boot Barn, another old one Pier 1.
australopithecus robustus
maroon barchetta said:

MiMi said:

That place is tiny. How will that work?

I would think delivery
halibut sinclair
bcstx06 said:

halibut sinclair said:

bcstx06 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Marr Eye Center
Eye Care Center
Ranch Harley Davidson
BMW
Hyundai
Nissan
Honda
JCPenney
Sears
Galleria Day Spa
White Elm Day Spa
Elms Orthodontist
Hemline Boutique
Central Texas ENT
Half Price Books
Brown's Shoe Fit
Andrews Orthodontics
Wright Dentistry
TM5
Rollo Insurance Group
Chad Jones Law

Another recent one Boot Barn, another old one Pier 1.

When was Pier 1 in Bryan?
trouble
AG
I don't know but Sears, JC Penney, and Pier 1 were all at/in post oak mall when I moved here in fall '93
trouble
AG
I also don't remember HPB in Bryan. I remember it being over by the Kroger on Texas in CS then moving to it's current location.
techno-ag
AG
trouble said:

I also don't remember HPB in Bryan. I remember it being over by the Kroger on Texas in CS then moving to it's current location.
Sears was in Townshire back in the day then Manor East Mall (now Tejas Center) I think before moving to Post Oak Mall.

HPB was in that old house on Texas across from the Taco Bell with the backwards drive-thru.

These examples going back 40 or 50 years don't really prove his point IMO.
trouble
AG
The only major store still in manor east when I moved here was Montgomery Ward. I guess Bealls was still there too.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Manor East!!! I was trying to think of the name when I was in school!!
Hornbeck
trouble said:

HPB was in the old building next to Jose's that Mac Resource was in.
Hornbeck
MsDoubleD81 said:

Manor East!!! I was trying to think of the name when I was in school!!

Aladdin's Castle,
Orange Julius, and
Manor East 3 come to mind…
Aggie@state.gov
AG
at least Der Wienerschnitzl is in the same place its been since the 70s.
trouble
AG
Hornbeck said:

trouble said:

HPB was in the old building next to Jose's that Mac Resource was in.

That must have been just before me.
Hornbeck
Aggie@state.gov said:

at least Der Wienerschnitzl is in the same place its been since the 70s.

Wish they'd reopen the one in CS. The building is available….
AG81
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Bit of revisionist history this. Been here since 1966. What happened in the 80's wasn't "white flight". It was growth. When Bryan rejected the new mall (a whole other story) and it went in to College Station, it started a wave of new development. A growing A&M with increasing demand for faculty housing led to a building boom close to campus. The growth of College Station had nothing to do with "white flight".
bushytailed
AG
Piasano's announced on FB that their Wellborn location is closed as they finish prep for the new Rock Prairie location. Opening date for RP hasn't been announced though.
halibut sinclair
AG81 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Bit of revisionist history this. Been here since 1966. What happened in the 80's wasn't "white flight". It was growth. When Bryan rejected the new mall (a whole other story) and it went in to College Station, it started a wave of new development. A growing A&M with increasing demand for faculty housing led to a building boom close to campus. The growth of College Station had nothing to do with "white flight".
Nope - I didn't say that's what led to the growth of College Station. I was referencing an earlier comment about people moving out of Bryan recently. In the early 80s I witnessed many families in the Broadmoor, Wayside, Carter Creek area up and move to CS when others who were not like them began moving into those areas. That was just a part of what was going on then and there's no revisionism involved.
bcstx06
Preview of the 2023 page, please let me know if any changes should be made.

BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

COMING SOON
Aggieland Express Car Wash - Old Ft. Shiloh lot
Carmax - Hwy 6 College Station near Cooper's BBQ
Comfort Inn & Suites Bryan
Corn Fusion Wellborn Road
Drew's Carwash HWY 21 near HEB
Drury Inn & Suites - Chimney Hill
HTeaO Wellborn and Lonnie Lane (north of Holleman)
Hush & Whisper - New distillery from the Astin Partners
Jersey Mike's - Near Bryan Target
Kirks Automotive - College Station
La Madeline French Bakery & Cafe - Century Square
Lick Ice Cream - Century Square
Lotus Chinese Restaurant - Holleman Dr.
Nappanee, Indiana NTA Inc. - Major employer coming to Bryan
Royal Touch Laundry - Next to Layne's on Wellborn
Russo's New York Pizzeria and Italian Kitchen - University Drive
Schulman's MBG
Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar - Tower Point
Study Station - Holleman Dr.
Tradehome Shoes - Post Oak Mall
TX Chifa Street - Post Oak Mall
Urban Cowgirl - University Dr
Z Bar & Bistro - Old Loupot's building in Northgate

NOT HAPPENING... FOR NOW
French Fry Heaven
Pappadeaux

RECENTLY OPENED
Dave's Hot Chicken - Old Urban Brick's space on Texas Ave
Hyatt House - Bryan near Cracker Barrel
Kanji Sushi - Lakewalk Bryan
Le Petit Cochon - old Bush's Chicken HWY6

CHANGING LOCATIONS/CHANGING NAMES/REMODEL
McDonald's at Wellborn and Bush moving to (Building @) Holleman/Wellborn
Paisanos is moving to the strip center off Rock Prairie by Jersey Mike's

RECENTLY CLOSED/CLOSING
Gold's Gym - Bryan
Mr. Hamburger Bryan

NEW BUSINESS, NO NAME YET

**RUMOR MILL**
New HEB Grocery Store @ or near Boonville & University Drive
P Terrys - Looking for Locations around town
Panda Express rumored to be coming to Tower Point

News, Site Development and Planning & Zoning Agendas:

Texas A&M Real Estate Center - College Station-Bryan News
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/news/newstalk-texas/#Default=%7B%22k%22%3A%22%22%2C%22r%22%3A%5B%7B%22n%22%3A%22owstaxIdRECMSASingle%22%2C%22t%22%3A%5B%22%5C%22%C7%82%C7%824c307c233064313965386432632d383034332d343431392d626239622d3238656432363038346331347c436f6c6c6567652053746174696f6e2d427279616e%5C%22%22%5D%2C%22o%22%3A%22and%22%2C%22k%22%3Afalse%2C%22m%22%3Anull%7D%5D%7D

City of Bryan new developments:
http://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/sdrc/

City of College Station new developments:
https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/pds/publications/new_development_list/

Visit College Station
https://visit.cstx.gov/

Destination Bryan
https://destinationbryan.com/

Bryan/College Station Chamber of Commerce
https://www.bcschamber.org/

AggiePhil
AG
The bold listings seem kind of random. I would only bold the topic headings

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.