BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

665,276 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
Costa and Andreas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lol I came in the other day to 2818 and ordered a double and noticed it was massive compared to before! I thought I'd gotten a prize for my 1000th visit or something!

Man that makes me so happy! I shoot the breeze with my good friend Paul Moler who owns Fuego all the time. We compare notes, ask each other's opinion, and basically speak restaurantese all of the time.

I told Paul I was thinking to increase the size of the burgers to basically cut against the grain of the conventional wisdom right now of lowering costs/reducing portions. Without pause he said he thought it was an outstanding idea and would help us standout from the crowd. Obviously, you can't argue with Fuego's success so Paul's endorsement was great to hear. Focus on quality and value and numbers will work themselves out…..

Thank you so much for your business!!
histag10
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

So Fly opens tomorrow
Hi yes I can confirm we are opening today. We trained/cooked the full menu with staff yesterday. We have drive thru and dine in.

The faves yesterday were the california roll taco, king of the south taco, the nellyville "hot n herre" sandwich, the big bad mutha clucka sandwich of course, and the fabulous thunderbird. Also the thicc thighs (yes its spelled that way).

Don't forget we have the Cinnaboss gourmet cinnamon rolls made on site!

If you want a classic sandwich that straight forward, we have the Straight Shooter which has Schwartz pickles and our superfly sauce.

Thanks!

Where can one go to vent to management about the Boots sodas at Mojo?

Bro, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the burgers and fries you guys cook up. But I can't lie, the watered down Boots sodas are probably decreasing my frequency of trips to your place (probably best for my health anyway). I just need real sodas to enjoy with my tasty burger and fries. (This is not meant to come at you, it's just feedback from a very loyal customer who could actually be even more loyal if you guys had coke or pepsi on hand)

Your observation is noted and certainly not the first time we've heard it. I really appreciate it. I've addressed this a time or two on here before and I'm happy to explain.

Boots has a bunch of unique flavors that many of our customers love and come in for. We also make our craft floats off of the Boots platform. It's tough because even I too prefer Coke Zero for instance.

I should take this opportunity to note however, on an unrelated facet of the biz, that we just increased our size of burger from 1/4 lb to 1/3 lb. In a time when businesses are cutting costs and reducing portions due to inflation, we said we will do the opposite. We wanted to be the only drive thru that uses more than 1/4 lb as the standard. So, if you get a double at Mojo, you are now getting 2/3lb! For most I'm sure 1/3 lb is sufficient, but the option is there.

This of course doesn't make the Coke or Pepsi patron happier about soda, but it does give us the niche bragging right that we're larger than Whataburger for instance!

But how many people will think 1/4 is more than 1/3 because 4 is bigger than 3, and argue/complain about the price
trouble
AG
TacoBar soft opening tonight until 10pm!

It's delicious.

Costa and Andreas
histag10 said:

Costa and Andreas said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

So Fly opens tomorrow
Hi yes I can confirm we are opening today. We trained/cooked the full menu with staff yesterday. We have drive thru and dine in.

The faves yesterday were the california roll taco, king of the south taco, the nellyville "hot n herre" sandwich, the big bad mutha clucka sandwich of course, and the fabulous thunderbird. Also the thicc thighs (yes its spelled that way).

Don't forget we have the Cinnaboss gourmet cinnamon rolls made on site!

If you want a classic sandwich that straight forward, we have the Straight Shooter which has Schwartz pickles and our superfly sauce.

Thanks!

Where can one go to vent to management about the Boots sodas at Mojo?

Bro, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the burgers and fries you guys cook up. But I can't lie, the watered down Boots sodas are probably decreasing my frequency of trips to your place (probably best for my health anyway). I just need real sodas to enjoy with my tasty burger and fries. (This is not meant to come at you, it's just feedback from a very loyal customer who could actually be even more loyal if you guys had coke or pepsi on hand)

Your observation is noted and certainly not the first time we've heard it. I really appreciate it. I've addressed this a time or two on here before and I'm happy to explain.

Boots has a bunch of unique flavors that many of our customers love and come in for. We also make our craft floats off of the Boots platform. It's tough because even I too prefer Coke Zero for instance.

I should take this opportunity to note however, on an unrelated facet of the biz, that we just increased our size of burger from 1/4 lb to 1/3 lb. In a time when businesses are cutting costs and reducing portions due to inflation, we said we will do the opposite. We wanted to be the only drive thru that uses more than 1/4 lb as the standard. So, if you get a double at Mojo, you are now getting 2/3lb! For most I'm sure 1/3 lb is sufficient, but the option is there.

This of course doesn't make the Coke or Pepsi patron happier about soda, but it does give us the niche bragging right that we're larger than Whataburger for instance!

But how many people will think 1/4 is more than 1/3 because 4 is bigger than 3, and argue/complain about the price

Haha well beyond the fact that we will still be a couple bucks cheaper than comparably sized burgers and about the same price as 1/4 lb at some other places, at that point it just becomes a survival of the fittest scenario I suppose.

Unfortunately, it's a real possibility lol. I'd still rather just make the burger bigger. Visually it's larger anyway as we moved to a 5 inch bum from a 4 inch bun…..
TommyBrady
AG
Gringos was amazing - I got the Pollo Marisco and my gf got the Mariachi. Both were great, but mine was truly delicious with the shrimp and crawfish tails to go along with well seasoned chicken. The wait staff were great. We will def be back and hope it has great success.

P.S. - Use the online waiting list so you don't have to sit outside for so long. They text you and you can see how long you have.

AggiePhil
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

AggiePhil said:

I got the basic chicken sandwich. It was just OK. The chicken part was kind of tough and flavorless. Hopefully they can correct that. Otherwise, the menu is very cool.

You prob got the straight shooter, which is exactly that. It's only pickles and solfy sauce. I'm sorry you didn't love it.

You may consider one of our more jazzed up sandwiches next time. There's a lot going on on them.

Yes sir, the straight shooter! The toppings weren't the issue though. The chicken itself was slightly tough and not very flavorful. I commented to a coworker that if you could put a CFA chicken breast on those sandwiches, they'd be perfect.
Costa and Andreas
AggiePhil said:

Costa and Andreas said:

AggiePhil said:

I got the basic chicken sandwich. It was just OK. The chicken part was kind of tough and flavorless. Hopefully they can correct that. Otherwise, the menu is very cool.

You prob got the straight shooter, which is exactly that. It's only pickles and solfy sauce. I'm sorry you didn't love it.

You may consider one of our more jazzed up sandwiches next time. There's a lot going on on them.

Yes sir, the straight shooter! The toppings weren't the issue though. The chicken itself was slightly tough and not very flavorful. I commented to a coworker that if you could put a CFA chicken breast on those sandwiches, they'd be perfect.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Well we will examine that. Don't think we will change the breading as we get a lot of compliments on it. Smoked paprika, garlic salt, cayenne and more. Maybe you just got a tough one. We try to stay away from a sweeter breading like CFA. Obviously it works extremely well for them, but that's not what our flavor profile is. I'm wondering if you got yours no sauce??

Thanks again!
TyHolden
AG
where is this at?
trouble
AG
The old Mad Taco/Mad Melts location. 404 Jane St, just off University Dr.

They are open until 2 today. Planning a full opening the beginning of August
crbongos
AG
Is Taco Bar owned and operated by Mad Tacos owner Peter Madden???
CRBongo
trouble
AG
No, it is not. The owner's name is Rolando. TacoBar was previously on wellborn. They closed the end of last year in order to renovate the old Mad Melt space.

And brunch is also delicious.

Rexter
Stopped by So-Fly for lunch just now. Had the straight shooter, sauce on the side…very good sandwich. A tad crispy, but that's just my taste preference. Sauce has a nice flavor. Fries were excellent…not cooked to a crisp.

About the drinks….I've been to both new concepts, and I'll drink tea. My wife and kid refuse to go due to no Diet Coke or Dr Pepper. I tried the Boots Dr Pepper knock-off, and that was a hard no for me.
Costa and Andreas
Thanks for the feedback and the business!
halibut sinclair
Does SoFly have beer? Asking for me.
Costa and Andreas
halibut sinclair said:

Does SoFly have beer? Asking for me.

Haha no beer.
AggieCVQ
Feels like there's a different new business construction spot along hwy 6 every time I drive it...
phillytex24
Are there any restaurants/trucks serving California style burritos in town?
histag10
AG
Why would you want California anything? This is Texas...
Koko Chingo
AG
histag10 said:

Probably the same reason someone would want Mexican Food, Chinese Food, Italian Food...lol. Doesn't meant we have to move
maroon barchetta
phillytex24 said:

Are there any restaurants/trucks serving California style burritos in town?

Cue the YouTube clip from Letterkenny about tacos and L.A.
halibut sinclair
histag10 said:

Pretty sad response.
ElephantRider
AG
Koko Chingo said:

histag10 said:

Probably the same reason someone would want Mexican Food, Chinese Food, Italian Food...lol. Doesn't meant we have to move

By god, this is Texas! Keep all other food out!
histag10
AG
Koko Chingo said:

histag10 said:

There is a difference between ethnic foods and state foods.

What I said is basically the equivalent if wanting st Louis style BBQ in Texas. Why? We have our own style of BBQ. Why would you want Cali style burritos when there are perfectly good TexMex burritos. (And also, California style burritos just aren't that good)

But sure- let's just say it was a sad response and act like this isn't the internet.
LastHamlet
AG
Maybe people have different tastes. Do you not allow that?
phillytex24
histag10 said:

I've seen YouTube videos about them. I love new types of foods. These burritos have french fries in them, etc. They look so delicious. Texas is a melting pot, so I just assume that we have plenty of space for a variety of foods. I'm a foodie and love to eat!
Hornbeck
Bullpen Chias said:

I personally make decisions on where I eat out based on their carriage of Diet Dr.Pepper.

Blue diamond for you, sir or madam!
trouble
AG
I bet Taco Crave would make you one. They've got everything you need and they already grill their burritos.
Koko Chingo
AG
Your post made me laugh because it brought up an old memory. While living in Japan, a new coworker and his wife arrived. It was my wife and I who picked them up from the airport. While driving back from the airport, the coworkers wife said, " I can't believe they have Italian and French restaurants in Japan."

My wife and I were just talking about that earlier in the day. I should have known better about being silly on the "coming and going" board. I do not believe you are offended and that was not my intent. If so I apologize.

A lot of places I do not want to live have awesome food, beer, and wine.
woodiewood1
bcstx06 said:

woodiewood1 said:

techno-ag said:

RELLIS needs closer food options too. Someday.
Going to be a decade or two before you get a few chain fast food operations out there. Not enough traffic.

Looks like the city is working to make it much sooner then you think.
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/21/city-bryan-hosting-public-meeting-proposed-riverside-innovation-corridor/?outputType=amp
I see that, but I don't think that there will be enough traffic for enough hours each day to attract free standing chain food stores for many, many years. Even the Caldwell Whatabuger even with the nearby population is struggling. I would think that a chain would have much better location options than out there for the next decade?

The best bet there would be a large multi-tenant convenience store that has a WB or McDonalds, etc. attached or inside. I can see that working.
ElephantRider
AG
Had So-Fly yesterday. I already knew this from the previous location, but it's incredible. The Mutha Clucka is the best chicken sandwich I've ever had, period.

I do have a question about the pyro nuggets, though. Did the recipe change there? They were still good, but seemed different that what I remember. They seemed less spicy.
Tookieclothespin
AG
Rexter said:

Stopped by So-Fly for lunch just now. Had the straight shooter, sauce on the side…very good sandwich. A tad crispy, but that's just my taste preference. Sauce has a nice flavor. Fries were excellent…not cooked to a crisp.

About the drinks….I've been to both new concepts, and I'll drink tea. My wife and kid refuse to go due to no Diet Coke or Dr Pepper. I tried the Boots Dr Pepper knock-off, and that was a hard no for me.
For boots, you have to go with less ice. otherwise is just waters down to...well...water.
FJB
Costa and Andreas
ElephantRider said:

Had So-Fly yesterday. I already knew this from the previous location, but it's incredible. The Mutha Clucka is the best chicken sandwich I've ever had, period.

I do have a question about the pyro nuggets, though. Did the recipe change there? They were still good, but seemed different that what I remember. They seemed less spicy.

Thank you so much!

The nuggets are not automatically pyro, you have to request them that way with the sriracha dust. If we sold them automatically pyro, the first car load of children that came through with mom and dad would get lit up! Not the preferred first impression lol.
histag10
AG
A bit off topic here- did tall move to small chicken portions on yalls sandwiches at Burger Mojo? We stopped by yesterday for the first time in a long time, and the chicken on our sandwich was maybe 1/4" thick (if I'm being generous), and it was swimming in sauce. It was probably the first unpleasant meal we have had there.
Costa and Andreas
histag10 said:

A bit off topic here- did tall move to small chicken portions on yalls sandwiches at Burger Mojo? We stopped by yesterday for the first time in a long time, and the chicken on our sandwich was maybe 1/4" thick (if I'm being generous), and it was swimming in sauce. It was probably the first unpleasant meal we have had there.

You are correct. We are having issues with procurement. We moved to a breast that is .5 oz.heavier (4 oz fi 4.5oz but flatter. I suspect if this persists we will move from the 4 oz. to 5oz that is flatter. The pro is better bun coverage and overall more meat. The con is they won't be as thick. Please hang in there with us: I assure you we won't go down in quality. When we make trades due to procurement issues we will always try to compensate rather than make a lesser or lateral move. As pertains to the sauce, we of course have a methodology but we also have human error. The safe play if you're not getting it as you want it is to order sauce on the side so you can control it. If you need anything, email me at info@eccellgroup.com. I'll follow up and connect with my team to make it right, always.

Thank you!
Aggie@state.gov
AG
There is plenty of hwy 21/36 traffic for the Whataburger in Caldwell - their problem is that they started off with untrained staff - got swamped - changed managers - but never recovered from the local folks who gave up with long lines and incorrect orders and won't go back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.