BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

665,994 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
MS08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

A couple of images of the first of the Icon condo buildings. It will be 12-stories and located on Villa Maria near Traditions.

Has to have so many pre sales before construction even starts as I understand it. Still a pipe dream based on what I know.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

The renderings look good but I have a feeling that building is going to be dated quickly if not maintained at a very high level.
I am still not convinced about this location for the type of development. I think right off 47 would make more sense. But, I am not putting money into the development and I trust that the people that are spent a lot of time looking at locations.

This is the type of housing development that was discussed and featured in renderings when College Station's Midtown project was launched. So far that area has been extremely underwhelming.
I've lived here 12 years and am in commercial construction. I don't even know where College Station's Midtown is...
techno-ag
AG
Right next to Bryan's Midtown.

But seriously, CS naming it that after Bryan already had one in such a prominent location was a bad idea.
maroon barchetta
techno-ag said:

But seriously, CS naming it that after Bryan already had one in such a prominent location was a bad idea.

Nonsense.

CS doesn't make bad decisions involving real estate.
dallasiteinsa02
It should have been Southtown. Everyone calls it South College Station.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I had to look it up and see that it's behind Lowe's/Costco. They must have some major south/east expansion planned for us if that's "Midtown".
The Brazos Kid
techno-ag said:

IIRC, College Station's Midtown was named/announced before Bryan's Midtown.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Same developer on both?
MS08
AG
Nope.
TyHolden
AG
Anybody visit the little pig? First time I've seen it all lit up.
Tailgate88
AG
TyHolden said:

Yesterday at 4:30 was their first time to open. We are going to give it a month or two and let the crowd die down.
KidDoc
AG
TyHolden said:

Made reservations Friday night!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
birdman
Anybody got notices from COCS on the Texas Avenue & University Drive Redevelopment Plan?
TyHolden
AG
birdman said:

Anybody got notices from COCS on the Texas Avenue & University Drive Redevelopment Plan?
We getting a bigger U-Haul store? Bringing back the adult video place?
kraut
AG
birdman said:

Just looked it up. They are doing an amendment to the comprehensive plan.

TEXAS AVENUE & UNIVERSITY DRIVE REDEVELOPMENT AREA PLAN

Quote:

The City of College Station is beginning a new planning effort for the Texas/University Redevelopment Area. This effort will engage property owners and interested residents in a process to envision a cohesive district that welcomes visitors and residents into the City, incorporates vertical and horizonal mixed-uses, supports existing commercial uses, and provides a greater mix of housing options to support the growing population seeking to live, work, and play near Texas A&M University. The effort will imagine changes to the area that better serve the two major corridors that intersect within the redevelopment area and will complement the nearby hospitality corridor, Eastgate area, and Texas A&M University campus. This planning effort stems from discussions with residents and appointed and elected officials during the recent update to the City's Comprehensive Plan.

TyHolden
AG
i don't see how city hall is part of urban development...prime real estate wasted.
maroon barchetta
TyHolden said:

i don't see how city hall is part of urban development...prime real estate wasted.

They are gonna buy ALL the properties.
EBrazosAg
AG
Mooneys YMCA location? . If they will just build a new The Grapevine I will forgive anything!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The midtown websites:

https://www.midtowncitycenter.com/

https://www.bryantx.gov/midtown/#midtownplan
ratfacemcdougal
Looks like the Brenham airport restaurant is about to close again
EBrazosAg
AG
The FBO situation down there has been a mess for years. Makes the restaurant success difficult.
mgreen
As picky as College Station is, how is that UHaul allowed to still be in that location? Eyesore!!
PS3D
mgreen said:

As picky as College Station is, how is that UHaul allowed to still be in that location? Eyesore!!
I sure hope the people that uprated the comment aren't the same people that were angry over CoCS' buying of the Macy's building. The U-Haul isn't that bad but can you imagine the backlash if CoCS swooped in and bought the property for more than it was worth?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Do I wish there was a better and more attractive use for both intersections on the east side of Texas and University (U-Haul and a gas station)? Absolutely.

Do I want the government injecting themselves into the process and buying the land or trying to push the private property owners out? Absolutely not.

If a private developer believes that the location is worth it, let them go with an offer that the current owner can't turn down.
dilliam
The best thing the city could do is to upzone that entire area and remove as many development hurtles as possible. parking requirements, height maximums, setbacks, floor-to-area ratios, etc. Once that's done, its only a matter of time before it's redeveloped.
maroon barchetta
dilliam said:

The best thing the city could do is to upzone that entire area and remove as many development hurtles as possible. parking requirements, height maximums, setbacks, floor-to-area ratios, etc. Once that's done, its only a matter of time before it's redeveloped.
UmustBKidding
This is more like what college station would do.
https://ij.org/press-release/small-business-files-lawsuit-to-protect-its-u-haul-business-from-citys-ban-on-truck-rentals/
Get someone say going to do great things, make the existing owners activities illegal. More money to buy roach infested apartments.
PS3D
dilliam said:

Unlike what some people will tell you on Reddit, that's not going to create instant redevelopment and high density. Already height maximums are capped out by proximity to the airport, you won't get much taller than the Rise.

The University Drive/Northgate area still struggles with high rent in so-called "walkable" areas (Northpoint Crossing, Century Square, etc.) without easy access to parking that the rest of the city gets.

I believe H-E-B's lease on the old Albertsons expires next year, though even if the city wants to market that as a grocery store again (they'll probably have to incentivize it), they need to re-configure Tarrow and Tarrow Street East to be two-way again.
MiMi
S
Dave's Hot Chicken opens Friday, Dec 9. Former Urban Bricks location.
dilliam
maroon barchetta said:

dilliam said:

lol, that hurts
One Louder
AG
We enjoyed Le Petit Cochon. KidDoc had the duck confit with brussel sprouts and potatoes and I had the pork chop with collard greens and grits. The appetizer was a baguette with prosciutto and cheese and a lemon tart for dessert.

All of it was delicious. The cocktails were fantastic and the service was top-notch.

It was a bit loud in the dining area but the management is aware of it and will remedy the situation. The prices are such that we won't be dining there on regular rotation but the portion sizes are on the larger side so you'll get a couple of meals out of it.
FlyRod
Awesome! How's the wine list look? Can't find one on their website.
AG81
AG
One Louder said:

We enjoyed Le Petit Cochon. KidDoc had the duck confit with brussel sprouts and potatoes and I had the pork chop with collard greens and grits. The appetizer was a baguette with prosciutto and cheese and a lemon tart for dessert.

All of it was delicious. The cocktails were fantastic and the service was top-notch.

It was a bit loud in the dining area but the management is aware of it and will remedy the situation. The prices are such that we won't be dining there on regular rotation but the portion sizes are on the larger side so you'll get a couple of meals out of it.

Seems just like 1860 Italia. So loud is just not worth going.

And a French restaurant with portions so large you take some home?
One Louder
AG
Well, the portions aren't the tiny portions you might expect from a French restaurant, I should say. It was enough for us to take home leftovers but that's really more of a function of how much any one person can eat at one sitting.

It wasn't as loud as 1860 Italia and, like I said, management is aware of it. I would give them a chance before writing them off.
One Louder
AG
FlyRod said:

Awesome! How's the wine list look? Can't find one on their website.

They had a sizeable wine list but I didn't peruse it carefully since we were in the mood for cocktails.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.