BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

660,977 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
Tookieclothespin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

I'm my view anyone who bans the area is likely the type of patron the center might not necessarily want anyway.
Ahh yes, the kind of patron who showers, wears shoes/clothes, buys goods/services with legal tender and is polite to food and retail workers. They certainly don't want me!
FJB
australopithecus robustus
That's good! Only a couple extra dollars and you're off to the races!
Hornbeck
JMac03 said:

cslifer said:

Pretty sure you can't "evict" the trailer park.

They are evicting the ones across from Walmart in CS. Next to the urgent care.

Did the property change hands, and now not renewing leases, or what?
JMac03
AG
Yes it was sold to some foreign investor. I have no idea about leases but I think they have/had around a 6-8 month notice? If schedules haven't changed I think they all have to be gone sometime in August. Many churches (including mine) are trying to help some of them with relocation. Many of the homes are in such poor state they can't even be moved and have to pay a fee to be torn down.
iwarnedyou96
AG
Was it mentioned that the trailer park is impacted by the extension of Dartmouth St. to Texas Ave. at Brothers Blvd.? Makes sense that something like a gas station would go in after that happens.
bushytailed
AG
The Tipsy Trinket is downtown Bryan is opening on Thursday per FB.
Slagathor
AG
Per the BCS Meals and Deals fb page, Johnny Carino's has closed. They were apparently covering up their signs and google says they're permanently closed.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
It is the end of an era, Johnny Carinos has shut its doors.

Man with friends AND family we have made so many memories there over the years. I am sad
TyHolden
AG
Slagathor said:

Per the BCS Meals and Deals fb page, Johnny Carino's has closed. They were apparently covering up their signs and google says they're permanently closed.

Went there the other night. Waiters and waitresses we're making drinks because there wasn't a bartender. I gave him 2 tries and then went with a dressed Dos Equis. I didn't have it in me to send it back when it came without a lime or salt.
Also I think AC was off in half the building.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Man with friends AND family we have made so many memories there over the years. I am sad

I used to work with the guy who was the Executive Chef for them (the whole company) during the high point in their trajectory. He explained that they had a very tight core group in leadership roles which made it so good and as those people slowly left one by one, it lost the spark and momentum it had. They were just never really able to recover.

Also, he didn't go to A&M but came to CS several times for the opening of this location and fell in love with it. He's trying to get his kids to come here now.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

I used to work with the guy who was the Executive Chef for them (the whole company) during the high point in their trajectory. He explained that they had a very tight core group in leadership roles which made it so good and as those people slowly left one by one, it lost the spark and momentum it had. They were just never really able to recover.

Also, he didn't go to A&M but came to CS several times for the opening of this location and fell in love with it. He's trying to get his kids to come here now.

Good stuff.

There is no doubt the quality went steadily down over the years while prices went up (even before crazy inflation). But overall and I'm probably a simpleton I felt like the food was usually pretty good. The service however was very hit or miss. Had some bad experiences there but not bad enough to not go back.

I used to have friends and family from Los Angeles come regularly to visit and they LOVED Carinos. The repeat visitors to us would always remind us they liked Carinos and would like to go back. In it's prime I think Carinos was a great experience at an affordable price that even people from big cities who had been exposed to other good Italian even liked.
Geralt of Rivia
S
TyHolden said:

Slagathor said:

Went there the other night. Waiters and waitresses we're making drinks because there wasn't a bartender. I gave him 2 tries and then went with a dressed Dos Equis. I didn't have it in me to send it back when it came without a lime or salt.
Also I think AC was off in half the building.

Yeah, I went there a couple of weeks ago. AC wasn't on in about half of the building, and it was almost empty
techno-ag
AG
I know it seems like we lose several restaurants every summer, but I'm sad to see JC's go. Hopefully their employees can find work elsewhere. If there's one good thing going for them, it seems like everybody is hiring.
PS3D
AggieBaseball06 said:

The brand changed hands a few times. The Ozona was where Kona Ranch was, part of the same company back in the early 2000s but never took off as far as locations went. There were only two others of that type in Texas.
FlyRod
I was told by a certain prominent poster here that chains/franchises never go under. T&P for JC's staff. I think they'll be fine though, as recent data on the labor market suggests.
maroon barchetta
FlyRod said:

I was told by a certain prominent poster here that chains/franchises never go under. T&P for JC's staff. I think they'll be fine though, as recent data on the labor market suggests.

Has the prominent poster mentioned whether the JC location was too far from the bypass?
Collectonian
Slagathor said:

Sadge... I absolutely love their Italian nachos! So so good!
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Adios, angel hair and artichoke's
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Their fried mozz was the best.
histag10
AG
FlyRod said:

It didn't "go under". I believe Rusty reported that the building had been for sale for a long time, and finally sold. The new owner has a different vision for the building than the current restaurant.
histag10
AG
Tailgate88 said:

SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Their fried mozz was the best.

Have you tried the Mozzarella logs at Walk-Ons? Those are my favorite.
Captn_Ag05
AG
histag10 said:

FlyRod said:

It didn't "go under". I believe Rusty reported that the building had been for sale for a long time, and finally sold. The new owner has a different vision for the building than the current restaurant.
Like one that can pay the rent?
TyHolden
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

histag10 said:

FlyRod said:

It's gonna be a bank or vape warehouse…
FlyRod
Ran into the owner of Taco Bar. He said they will re-open in the new location (old Mad Melt/Mad Taco) in mid July.

Full bar and a nice patio for you TexAgs happy hour meetup IRL folks.
maroon barchetta
TyHolden said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

histag10 said:

FlyRod said:

With a nail salon inside by the frozen yogurt Dutch Bros combo stand.
bushytailed
AG
Northgate Juice Joint announced on FB that it's last day open will be 7/24.
maroon barchetta
bushytailed said:

Northgate Juice Joint announced on FB that it's last day open will be 7/24.

I'm surprised they lasted this long. New location is bad for a juice business.
TLIAC
AG
JMac03 said:

cslifer said:

Pretty sure you can't "evict" the trailer park.

They are evicting the ones across from Walmart in CS. Next to the urgent care.
Almost 20 years ago when I lived in Oak Forest on Krenek Tap, a few times the manager would evict a home for major violations of park rules. And yes they would have to move their entire home.
maroon barchetta
How bad are things to get evicted to the point you have to move your home as well?

What rules did they break?
ElephantRider
AG
maroon barchetta said:

TyHolden said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

histag10 said:

FlyRod said:

No chicken?
maroon barchetta
ElephantRider said:

maroon barchetta said:

TyHolden said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

histag10 said:

FlyRod said:

No chicken?

You dip your chicken tenders in the frozen yogurt.
PS3D
TyHolden said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

histag10 said:

FlyRod said:

You know the one joke someone told and everyone laughed, but then thought they were hilarious and told the same joke or variations thereof until it was completely driven into the ground?

Yeah.
MiMi
S
Classic Cuts is closed with all their signage removed at TowerPoint next to H-E-B. I wonder when the H-E-B expansion is going to start?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
The mourning crew at WTAW was strongly hinting that the gas island at Costco will open today.

Who will be the first to review?

Typical topics:
Charging for water?
Unacceptable parking rules?
Outrageous gun policy / smoking signage?
Name sounds too much like COSCO, or maybe Cisco?

maroon barchetta
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

The mourning crew at WTAW was strongly hinting that the gas island at Costco will open today.

Who will be the first to review?

Typical topics:
Charging for water?
Unacceptable parking rules?
Outrageous gun policy / smoking signage?
Name sounds too much like COSCO, or maybe Cisco?

If only this area had a committed and experienced Yelper to get the FTR.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.