BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

665,428 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Rumor has it that Lamar and Niki's is closing.

Straight from the owner's mouth "oh no, honey. We're doing real good. We're not going anywhere." I breathed a real big sigh of relief.

AggieBaseball06
AG
Quote:

"oh no, honey. We're doing real good. We're not going anywhere."

...said Dick Fuld, CEO of Lehman Brothers in Sept 2008...
AggiePhil
AG
What's going in next to the old College Station PD building (Texas Avenue, near Valley View)?
ratfacemcdougal
war hymn aggie said:

May have missed this but I'm gonna ask anyway:

1. what is going up behind the Exxon Convenience store on Texas & Harvey Mitchell?

u haul storage
halibut sinclair
trouble said:

halibut sinclair said:

Rumor has it that Lamar and Niki's is closing.

Straight from the owner's mouth "oh no, honey. We're doing real good. We're not going anywhere." I breathed a real big sigh of relief.

Good to know
Captn_Ag05
AG
Andy's will open on September 14.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Coming to Tower Point

Waxing the City
TyHolden
AG
555 Grill next to Kumon in CS had an Open sign blinking yesterday. Also, there was broken glass all over that parking lot. Not saying the two are related.
FlyRod
Anyone tried the Smokin Sims 45 food truck (bbq I'm guessing?)

Also wondering if this is a member of the family that owned Randy Sims BBQ back in the Pleistocene Era.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Nick the Greek, a Greek fast-casual restaurant mostly in California, is going in the old Taco Bar location on Wellborn.

https://www.nickthegreek.com/

Nick the Greek has submitted plans for a location on University in the same center as the new Capriotti's. I do not know if this is in place of the location on Wellborn or if they are planning to open two locations at around the same time.
Captn_Ag05
AG
TXB has submitted site plans for a convenience store and gas across William J Bryan from the post office. This is the third site plan that they have submitted for a BCS location in the past couple of months.
DimeBox17
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

TXB has submitted site plans for a convenience store and gas across William J Bryan from the post office. This is the third site plan that they have submitted for a BCS location in the past couple of months.

Where are the other locations?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Near the intersection of Texas and Mile Drive and on University across from Veterans park entrance.
FlyRod
A Colombian food truck, Macondo Grill, is coming soon. Hope to get more details soon.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The LaSalle hotel in downtown Bryan is set to become a Marriot property after the city of Bryan provides $1.1 million in incentives.

Quote:

A multimillion dollar renovation of downtown Bryan's LaSalle Hotel to a Marriott property is expected to be completed in time for the start of next year's Texas A&M football season.

That is after the Bryan city council Tuesday night unanimously voted to give the LaSalle's new owner $1.1 million dollars in incentives.

This is in addition to at least $6 million to be spent by the new owner.
https://wtaw.com/bryan-city-council-approves-1-million-in-incentives-to-apply-to-6-million-dollar-conversion-of-the-lasalle-hotel-to-a-marriott-property/
Captn_Ag05
AG
A very basic-looking (read ugly) 20,000+ square foot shopping center is being planned for 1726 Harvey Mitchell Parkway (near Waxwing Lane). The center is being marketed as Harvey Mitchell Square.

Images of the center and link to the marketing brochure below.

https://www.propertyshark.com/cre/pdfs/6BDB3956-5489-4A75-BEBA-7FD9DDFA228F
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

The LaSalle hotel in downtown Bryan is set to become a Marriot property after the city of Bryan provides $1.1 million in incentives.

Quote:

A multimillion dollar renovation of downtown Bryan's LaSalle Hotel to a Marriott property is expected to be completed in time for the start of next year's Texas A&M football season.

That is after the Bryan city council Tuesday night unanimously voted to give the LaSalle's new owner $1.1 million dollars in incentives.

https://wtaw.com/bryan-city-council-approves-1-million-in-incentives-to-apply-to-6-million-dollar-conversion-of-the-lasalle-hotel-to-a-marriott-property/
I don't know... I love the vintage retro look and feel of the LaSalle. I hope they don't turn in in to just another Marriott and keep the character of the hotel intact including keeping the speak easy in the basement around, though I do support updating the facilities, plumbing, wiring, etc. I know the article says the guy in charge of the renovation fell in love with the hotel and it will be a Tribute boutique hotel, but I'm still nervous.
Expert Analysis
AG
The Stella is already part of Marriott. There will not be huge changes to The LaSalle assuming it goes into a similar category as The Stella.
bushytailed
AG
Marriott also has The Driskill in Austin. The look and feel of that historic hotel hasn't changed.
techno-ag
AG
Agreed. No worries about the La Salle. Maybe a brand name will bring in more guests.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Good to know. Thanks, y'all!
AggieBaseball06
AG
To expand on what others said, the major hotel chains have really bought into the idea of getting unique properties over the past decade or so. I am more familiar with Hilton who operates them under the Curio brand but I believe that Marriott (and Marriott folks can certainly chime in) puts them under the label of the "Autograph Collection". So their goal is to provide a Marriott level of service but keep the feel and style of whatever made that hotel special to begin with. This is definitely a win for everyone, imo.
FlyRod
A Net Full of Jello said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

I don't know... I love the vintage retro look and feel of the LaSalle. I hope they don't turn in in to just another Marriott and keep the character of the hotel intact including keeping the speak easy in the basement around, though I do support updating the facilities, plumbing, wiring, etc. I know the article says the guy in charge of the renovation fell in love with the hotel and it will be a Tribute boutique hotel, but I'm still nervous.

I wonder what (if anything) this means for Downtown Elixir?
Mustang1
AG
bushytailed said:

Marriott also has The Driskill in Austin. The look and feel of that historic hotel hasn't changed.
The Driskill is a Hyatt property
techno-ag
AG
Mustang1 said:

bushytailed said:

The Driskill is a Hyatt property

They just sold it in May to Woodbine.

https://therealdeal.com/texas/2022/05/16/hyatt-sells-austins-driskill-hotel-where-satchmo-stayed-lbj-wooed-lady-bird/

ETA looks like Hyatt will continue managing it for a while, though.
bushytailed
AG
Apologies, I was confusing my hotel memberships.
bushytailed
AG
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the owner(s) of Harvey Washbangers/Stella are opening Clementine's Kitchen in downtown Bryan sometime this winter.

https://www.facebook.com/clementinesbcs

Edit - Forgot to mention that it's going into the old Madden's location.
FlyRod
Great news. Glad something can fill the void left by Madden's and Square One.
halibut sinclair
Willie's has started a delivery-only chicken concept called Roosters Run:

https://roostersrun.com/
chloelee
New sign up by Mr. Hamburger in Bryan - DOH Pizza Rolls
cstxfn
chloelee said:

I'm taking a wild guess that DOH doesn't stand of Department of Health.
techno-ag
AG
cstxfn said:

chloelee said:

I'm taking a wild guess that DOH doesn't stand of Department of Health.
Likely a "Simpsons" reference.
AggiePhil
AG
Hate to see Mr. Hamburger close but every time I've been recently, it's been mostly empty and very hot inside like they're having trouble paying the utility bill.
michellecan
I don't think Mr. Hamburger closed. They're still posting in their fb page
FlyRod
Bourbon Brothers BBQ food truck coming, or possible just opened.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.