BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

665,913 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The council also spent over an hour last night discussing and debating a proposed apartment complex next to Baylor Scott and White at Midtown Road and Double Mountain Road. The city staff did not want the complex as they wanted a mixed use project there or for the apartment to be for medical purposes (e.g. assisted living). The council ended up approving it and development is expected soon. BSW supported the project and plans to rent some of the apartments for visiting physicians and staff to use. Baylor Scott and White is also going to build a new four-story office building northeast of the hospital, on their property closer to Rock Prairie.
dallasiteinsa02
It is tragic what city staff has become. It is not does the use provide a detriment to neighboring properties and become is that what they feel the property should be. They need to stop going to these conferences seeing ideas that they want to bring back that just don't work at this time. This isn't a knock specifically on CS, but city staff across the nation.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Site plan presented to the city council last night is below. It was emphasized that this will change some.

Quote:

City officials say there could be up to six restaurants, up to five retail stores, a hotel, and a yet to be determined entertainment business on the land bordered by the freeway, Costco, Christ United Methodist Church, and Midtown Drive.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-approves-land-sale-for-another-commercial-development-north-of-the-costco-store/
Tailgate88
AG
I wonder how Christ Church (which is no longer Christ UNITED METHODIST Church btw) feels about that office building extending into their parking lot?

(Edit: meant to use winky face emoticon)...
maroon barchetta
It will be extra revenue for the church.

Or maybe the business wants a tax break.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Legends Event Center opens tomorrow.
Quote:

Legends Event Center's grand opening is set for Saturday, Dec. 10 from 10 a.m. 2 p.m. and will feature a variety of free activities, games, performances, food, and demonstrations on uses of the 122,000+ square-foot facility. Demonstrations will include volleyball, basketball, pickleball, strength and conditioning training, and a live esports competition. Everyone will have the opportunity to tour the entire facility, and there will even be open court space for free play.

Prior to the doors opening, there will be several guest speakers from the City of Bryan, The Sports Facilities Companies, SpawGlass, PBK, and other organizations instrumental in the development of the center, followed by a ribbon cutting ceremony.

Captn_Ag05
AG
Anyone check out Dave's Hot Chicken today?
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

Site plan presented to the city council last night is below. It was emphasized that this will change some.

Quote:

City officials say there could be up to six restaurants, up to five retail stores, a hotel, and a yet to be determined entertainment business on the land bordered by the freeway, Costco, Christ United Methodist Church, and Midtown Drive.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-approves-land-sale-for-another-commercial-development-north-of-the-costco-store/
A lot of restaurant pads there when they can barely fill the ones we have. Applebee's is still empty...all but one pad sites at Jones Crossing are empty...Trudy's is still dragging their feet...
maroon barchetta
Applebees is not a good example. That location is not good. I don't care that it's by a couple of hotels or "so close to campus".

That one is not good.
Captn_Ag05
AG
PS3D said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

A lot of restaurant pads there when they can barely fill the ones we have. Applebee's is still empty...all but one pad sites at Jones Crossing are empty...Trudy's is still dragging their feet...
I guess they will have to figure out how to move forward with their investment without the zeros of dollars you were putting into it.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I went to Total Wine...the parking lot where Dave's is was crazy.
ibdm98
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Applebees is not a good example. That location is not good. I don't care that it's by a couple of hotels or "so close to campus".

That one is not good.

First watch across the street seems to be doing okay
Captn_Ag05
AG
Quote:

Big Chicken, the star-powered fast casual chicken concept founded by legendary Hall of Famer Shaquille O'Neal, announced that accomplished entrepreneur Jace Mattinson has signed an agreement to bring three locations to Killeen, Waco and College Station.

"With its rapid expansion, Big Chicken is making a major splash in the fast casual restaurant space, and I knew that now was the time to get in on the action," says Mattinson. "It's a fantastic brand with an awesome product, plus, the team is incredible to work with. I can't wait to bring Big Chicken's BIG flavors, BIG food and BIG fun to central and eastern Texas."
Shaq's Big Chicken coming to College Station.

maroon barchetta
Because it's not at Applebees
TyHolden
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

that panda express has 10-15 people waiting in line all day. I pity the people that work there. It's like non-stop wok-wok. I won't go there unless it's pick-up and we ordered like a day ago. And I don't eat that crap. There's literally 4 things you can get with different quantities.

whoever owns the panda expresses in CS and Bryan is cleaning up. bravo to college students loving it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
TyHolden said:

MsDoubleD81 said:

that panda express has 10-15 people waiting in line all day. I pity the people that work there. It's like non-stop wok-wok. I won't go there unless it's pick-up and we ordered like a day ago. And I don't eat that crap. There's literally 4 things you can get with different quantities.

whoever owns the panda expresses in CS and Bryan is cleaning up. bravo to college students loving it.
I went in that Panda once and it was chaos. A long line and they were out of half of the things and trying to keep up and making more. With the seeming level of demand, I am surprised that they haven't opened a drive-through location further south, like one of the pad sites at Jones Crossing or at the development at Wellborn and SW near Chipotle/Whataburger/Starbucks/Andys.
Captn_Ag05
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

over 6,000 people went to Dave's this weekend.

Quote:

The highly-anticipated Dave's Hot Chicken opened in College Station, and at least 6,000 people packed the restaurant during the opening weekend, according to the director of operations Rick Crady.
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/12/12/thousands-pack-daves-hot-chicken-during-opening-weekend/

Captn_Ag05
AG
A boutique hotel, called Hotel McCoy, is going in where the America's Best Value was (3702 State Highway 6 S). They have two other locations (Pullman, WA and Tucson, AZ).

Quote:

Positioned in the heart of Aggieland, ten minutes from Texas A & M, Hotel McCoy College Station is exploding with amenities. There's the art gallery, hyper-local bar, ridiculously comfy beds, giant in-room streaming HDTVs, and murals galore. And then there's more: pickleball court, outdoor circuit gym, life-size chess board, locally owned Mexican Restaurant Mi Familia Coco Loco, and a sparkling pool surrounded by cabanas with an alfresco classic cocktail bar.

Hotel McCoy College Station will be ready to welcome you in 2023 with Texas-sized hospitality, free parking, free breakfast, free WiFi, and the first drink is always on us.

https://hotelmccoy.com/collegestation/

Tailgate88
AG
Well that is one heck of an upgrade!
techno-ag
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Well that is one heck of an upgrade!
Hope it's not lipstick on a pig. Looks like this company has some renovation experience maybe.
Captn_Ag05
AG
https://www.kxxv.com/brazos/second-goodwill-to-open-in-college-station-fall-2023

Quote:

The City of College Station is set to open its second Goodwill - creating about 45 new retail jobs.
Offering both part-time and full-time positions with benefits, starting pay is set to start at $11 per hour.

Opening Fall 2023, the new 15,000 square feet facility will be constructed at 4101 Texas Frontage Road.
It is going in the former Ranch Harley Davidson spot (which has moved to a larger location on 6). According to this article, the current location at Texas and 2818 will remain open. I assumed it would close once they opened this location.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

What is on your wish list or you think would do well in this location?

A few places I think would do well here:

Entertainment:
K1 indoor racing (they have announced a College Station location is on the way, and this location makes sense).

Retail:
Sprouts
Nordstrom Rack

Restaurant:
PF Changs
La Madeleine (since apparently the long-ago announced location at Century Square isn't happening)
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I saw the owners of 1775 Barbecue in the Planning and Development department's conference room at City Hall this morning.

I wonder if they have something in the works.
aggiepaintrain
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

I saw the owners of 1775 Barbecue in the Planning and Development department's conference room at City Hall this morning.

I wonder if they have something in the works.

would love to eat their bbq in town, big opportunity for them here
FlyRod
Excited to try Chef Tai's sushi place this Friday!
australopithecus robustus
MO's in century square is already underperforming and may have an exclusive…..
Cyp0111
True, Yard House prob will want a bigger market before entering. Century Square has turned into an odd development.
BrandoC
AG
Just a fancy ass place the dope heads can stay at. Just like any other motel.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A place called Wonderland Indoor Playground is going in at 1255 Arrington Road. I am not sure if it is this place or not - https://wonderlandplayground.com/. I see they franchise, but do indication of where they have locations.
lawless89
Captn_Ag05 said:

A place called Wonderland Indoor Playground is going in at 1255 Arrington Road. I am not sure if it is this place or not - https://wonderlandplayground.com/. I see they franchise, but do indication of where they have locations.

That'd be great!! Since we moved back from Fort Worth, I'd always thought it'd be nice to have something like this for our young girls. They had a lot of stuff like this in DFW.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Looks like this will be in one of the new buildings behind PetSmart on Arrington.
MiMi
S
Captn_Ag05 said:

This looks great! My young grandkids love to go to Smarty Sprouts in Bryan, but this looks a lot bigger with a lot more options.
FlyRod
Oh my goodness Chef Tai hit a home run into orbit with the new sushi place. It's a stunner. Prices honestly for a top quality sushi place are not bad at all.
AggiePhil
AG
How does it compare to 40T? 40T is the best I've had anywhere.
FlyRod
Better. 40T is very good I agree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.