BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

664,499 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tropical Smoothie Cafes have wraps, salads, sandwiches, and then of course smoothies, many of which are "healthy" smoothies and meal replacements. I think of them as more of a quick lunch spot.

https://www.tropicalsmoothiecafe.com/menu/
maroon barchetta
Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
MarineBQ04
AG
Mr. Hamburger in Bryan will be closing for a month or so.
trouble
AG

Tailgate88
AG
"We look forward to re-opening when we can provide the kind of experience our guests deserve."

?? That's odd. Are they renovating? Or just worried about labor supply while the students are home for the holidays?
Hittag1492
AG
trouble said:

Sounds like a labor shortage issue. Still not a good thing overall. I wish they had a better location...
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Seems like fully shutting down for over a month would be highly detrimental to catastrophic for a business.

The combo of lack of students for employees (and customers?) is that critical? Might have to tweak that business plan.
PS3D
Back when Mad Taco was at University East and Texas, by the last week of December they were open but had 86'd some menu items because they didn't want food to go to waste due to lack of business. A full month does seem extreme though.

I wonder if Mr. Hamburger is where the Bryan location of Dunkin' will be going...

On a related note, Kettle College Station closed forever yesterday afternoon.
halibut sinclair
Hittag1492 said:

trouble said:

Sounds like a labor shortage issue. Still not a good thing overall. I wish they had a better location...

Their location is just fine for many of us.
trouble
AG
Exactly. We are very happy with where they are.
Hittag1492
AG
trouble said:

I am sure you are. Unfortunately, 2 people are not enough to support a restaurant. I am glad you are happy though-just hope there are enough other people they service to stay open there.
trouble
AG
It's convenient to a lot of people who live in Bryan.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Hittag1492 said:

trouble said:

I am sure you are. Unfortunately, 2 people are not enough to support a restaurant. I am glad you are happy though-just hope there are enough other people they service to stay open there.

Ive told this story before:

I've been turned away at the drive through and told to come back in 45 minutes because they were so swamped
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Hittag1492 said:

trouble said:

Ive told this story before:

I've been turned away at the drive through and told to come back in 45 minutes because they were so swamped
Let's hope that it is just a staffing issue then. It is a good place to eat for sure. You must admit-a month long shut down is VERY odd especially if the place is thriving. But, who knows, maybe all is well and it works out for the better.
halibut sinclair
Hittag1492 said:

trouble said:

So, I guess you are one of those "everything has to be in South CS to be successful" people.
trouble
AG
I think they are also wanting to take a little time off at the time their business is the slowest.
happyinBCS
I wonder if their flagship Huntsville store is closed for the same time
trouble
AG
I don't know. They use that Facebook page much less frequently.
cslifer
Those of us that have lived here for a bit remember when a good portion of the restaurants in town would close for the Christmas break.
Hittag1492
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Hittag1492 said:

trouble said:

So, I guess you are one of those "everything has to be in South CS to be successful" people.
Yes, that is exactly what I said...
TyHolden
AG
I've never been to Mr Hamburger. That clown scares my kids. Reminds me of this…

trouble
AG
It's just a smiley face with a top hat
Rex Racer
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

Seems like fully shutting down for over a month would be highly detrimental to catastrophic for a business.

The combo of lack of students for employees (and customers?) is that critical? Might have to tweak that business plan.
When I first moved here in 1989, it was quite common for local eating establishments to close during the holidays. Certainly not all of them (we didn't have nearly as many!) but some of them did.
MiMi
S
I remember when Wings N More on Deacon would close for part of the holiday break and deep clean the kitchen. I would drive by and see their kitchen equipment in the parking lot. The wings always tasted better after a thorough cleaning of the fryers.
PS3D
So Chicken Oil Company has confirmed they will reopen in 2023, what's the status on Texas Meat Market? Facebook updates said they'd be out of commission until at least January, but they had a truck on the premises; however, their last update was in early September. Is it gone for good?
halibut sinclair
PS3D said:

So Chicken Oil Company has confirmed they will reopen in 2023, what's the status on Texas Meat Market? Facebook updates said they'd be out of commission until at least January, but they had a truck on the premises; however, their last update was in early September. Is it gone for good?

I wonder if Mr. Hamburger is where the Bryan location of Dunkin' will be going...

You are quite the Negative Nelly/Nancy.
halibut sinclair
Hittag1492 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Hittag1492 said:

trouble said:

Yes, that is exactly what I said...
Where does Mr. Urban Planner think Mr. Hamburger should be located?
ChampsAg
Mr. Hamburger recently lost their GM. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A couple of images of the first of the Icon condo buildings. It will be 12-stories and located on Villa Maria near Traditions.

dallasiteinsa02
The renderings look good but I have a feeling that building is going to be dated quickly if not maintained at a very high level.
halibut sinclair
Le Petit Cochon is opening this afternoon at 4:30.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The new Dutch Bros on University is opening tomorrow (11/30). This will be the fifth BCS location, with the permitting already underway for the sixth location (on Villa Maria near Walmart).
Bad Poster
Captn_Ag05 said:

The new Dutch Bros on University is opening tomorrow (11/30). This will be the fifth BCS location, with the permitting already underway for the sixth location (on Villa Maria near Walmart).

Hope they bankrupt every starbucks in town
Captn_Ag05
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

The renderings look good but I have a feeling that building is going to be dated quickly if not maintained at a very high level.
I am still not convinced about this location for the type of development. I think right off 47 would make more sense. But, I am not putting money into the development and I trust that the people that are spent a lot of time looking at locations.

This is the type of housing development that was discussed and featured in renderings when College Station's Midtown project was launched. So far that area has been extremely underwhelming.
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

I am still not convinced about this location for the type of development. I think right off 47 would make more sense. But, I am not putting money into the development and I trust that the people that are spent a lot of time looking at locations.

This is the type of housing development that was discussed and featured in renderings when College Station's Midtown project was launched. So far that area has been extremely underwhelming.

Come live next to the old landfill!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.