BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

664,681 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie@state.gov said:

I truly don't understand building new bank branches. can someone enlighten me?

the existing bank of brenham next to honda has no one visiting that site - i've now been in there 3 times in the last few months closing an account i inherited and I was the only one in there all the times.
Not sure I understand the demand for large bank branches. However, the bank next to the Honda dealership is actually Brenham National Bank, which is a different bank than the Bank of Brenham that is building a location in Bryan.
TommyBrady
AG
Branches are needed to advertise the bank and allow for lending locally especially mortgages and business loans. If you have a local presence its easier to handle the paperwork and identify future lending opportunities. It also brings in more deposits.
BQ_90
AG
TommyBrady said:

Branches are needed to advertise the bank and allow for lending locally especially mortgages and business loans. If you have a local presence its easier to handle the paperwork and identify future lending opportunities. It also brings in more deposits.
I've bought 2 houses and refinanced one and have yet to step foot in a bank.

And bought 2 trucks.

All financing was done online
mason12
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Bank of Brenham submitted site plans to Bryan for a new bank location at the corner of Earl Rudder and Trophy Drive, next to the Stripes and Wendy's.

That is actually going to be called Bank of BCS. It is being opened by Kyler Crenshaw. He used to be based here in town with the Wood Group/Fairway Mortgage. They have temporary office/bank open on University Drive East.
F Troop91
A few pages back , there was a discussion about Boots sodas. I appreciate restaurants like Burger Mojo and Gumby's that support local soda makers. Their Cola and Dr Delicious aren't Coke or Dr Pepper and aren't meant to be. They are stand alone local flavors that my family can enjoy. I look forward when more places will offer them.
trouble
AG
TacoBar has them as well
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Skinny Cola is better than Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, or Pepsi Zero so if the establishment doesn't have Diet Dr Pepper or Coke products, I prefer they carry Boots.
FlyRod
Has "What's the Deal BBQ" closed? Have not seen their truck in ages.

Also, yet another "Mediterranean" place, Cava, opening at Century Square soon.
toolshed
AG
Cava is replacing/ rebranding Zoe's.
Cyp0111
Cava is pretty excellent food.
ratfacemcdougal

Same place they have been fo a long time. Just stopped by friday evening
ratfacemcdougal
Whats the deal is the sane place it has been. Just stopped by friday
FlyRod
Glad to hear re What's the Deal.

There's a new (I think?) Cajun-ish place called Bayou Blends in Bryan. "New Orleans themed Daquiri bar," and it supposedly has food but I can't find much info about it.
trouble
AG
They are in the same building as the Exxon at 21 and 6. From what they've posted in meals and deals, it's fried fish/shrimp and frozen daiquiris.
halibut sinclair
https://bayoublendstx.com/

And chicken strips
Txmoe
AG
Curious if Hullabaloo Avenue is open or closed. It's the Aggie merchandise shop next to Park Cleaners at South Gate. Went by a couple of times when they should've been open but weren't.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Are you talking about the one next to the TexAgs building? They looked open a couple days ago when I drove by.
Txmoe
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Are you talking about the one next to the TexAgs building? They looked open a couple days ago when I drove by.
Yep, that one. There's still merchandise in the store but I can't catch them open.
Bad Poster
toolshed said:

Seems dumb with the new one at Copperfield and Harvey, which usually looks empty. I'm sure a new one on University will starve the Harvey one for traffic.

That new harvey gas station is soooooo overpriced, I'll never be going back to it
toolshed
AG
Yep, 40-60 cents over Sam's price. Not sure compared to the one on the corner at Boonville/ 30 or Harvey and 6, but for certain, way too high fuel prices.
halibut sinclair
Aggieland Cleaners on Boonville by Kroger is closing.
Hittag1492
AG
Bad Poster said:

toolshed said:

Seems dumb with the new one at Copperfield and Harvey, which usually looks empty. I'm sure a new one on University will starve the Harvey one for traffic.

That new harvey gas station is soooooo overpriced, I'll never be going back to it
Agree here-absolutely ridiculous. Not sure what they are thinking. I can see it a bit higher for convenience, but that is so high it will actually make people avoid them! lol.
BiochemAg97
AG
Hittag1492 said:

Bad Poster said:

toolshed said:

Agree here-absolutely ridiculous. Not sure what they are thinking. I can see it a bit higher for convenience, but that is so high it will actually make people avoid them! lol.

Maybe they just don't want to sell gas.

Wife told me about a gas station somewhere (not this one) that priced their gas really high (just under the price that would get them for price gouging) so no one would buy it. Apparently the owner wanted a convenience store but the city required a gas station at that location but are actively avoiding dealing with selling gas.
Hittag1492
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Hittag1492 said:

Bad Poster said:

toolshed said:

Maybe they just don't want to sell gas.

Wife told me about a gas station somewhere (not this one) that priced their gas really high (just under the price that would get them for price gouging) so no one would buy it. Apparently the owner wanted a convenience store but the city required a gas station at that location but are actively avoiding dealing with selling gas.
That would be a strange location to not want to sell gas, and all that equipment is expensive a shell. Like I said-most people would understand it being higher and would pay it-and he/she would make money. But that was just so high it will prevent people buying it at all. Even if you are not keen on selling a ton of gas, you would want to sell enough to break even I would imagine.

But, not my business! More power to them and maybe I am wrong and they will kill it. Who knows-people on game weekends especially may not even pay any attention and just pay it...
Tookieclothespin
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I posted this question before without success, but was hoping someone may have some new information. Recently, one of the projects approved by the A&M BOR was to construct a $100 million museum of natural history on the campus. Does anyone know where they plan to construct it? My guess would be near the conference center and hotel, but the recently announced Buc-ee's school will be across Wellborn from the hotel in what is currently a parking lot, leaving limited options on that part of campus.

Quote:

New projects proposed for the Texas A&M University campus in College Station, Texas, under the capital plan, which already has $2.7 billion of projects in the design or construction phases, include:
  • $175 million: Visualization, Fine and Performing Arts Building;
  • $118 million: An addition to the Clinical Veterinary Teaching & Research Complex;
  • $100 million: Museum of Natural History;
  • $75 million: Aggie Band Residence Hall; and
  • $40 million: Phase II of The Gardens at Texas A&M University, a 20-acre extension of the university's current 27-acre teaching garden.

In the report from a "The Path Forward" working group (actions from the MGT report about large scale university reorganization) it refers to the location as the Garden/Museum District of campus which is a new name to me. I assume that is around the Gardens on west campus based on the name. I think I also saw in those reports a recommendation to colocate it with the Performing Arts Center.

Interesting and thank you for that information! I will be very interested to see where exactly they locate it. My thought was for a museum of that expense and presumably intended for heavy public use, it would be located with direct access from either University, Bush, or Wellborn. Although a location next to the gardens would be a good way to draw more people to the gardens. After the proposed expansion, the Gardens will be an amazing place to visit.
If they extend the gardens, there is no where near for it to go that's not taken or used for white creek drainage. The next phases for the gardens, from what I understand based on their signage, will extend all the way to discovery drive. My guess is closer to the bush museum. plenty of real estate out that way.
FJB
Collectonian
Google is reporting Fling Jewelers is permanently closed, but Yelp still shows them open. Any idea which is correct?
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
halibut sinclair
Collectonian said:

Google is reporting Fling Jewelers is permanently closed, but Yelp still shows them open. Any idea which is correct?
Closed for a couple of years now, I think.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The creamery in the new Aggie Park, Moore Family Creamery, will open Saturday.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/158418/first-scoops-from-aandms-new-creamery-have-sweet-story/

Quote:

That longtime campus creamery, which for many years made all its treats with milk from A&M's dairy herd, moved in 1995 and then closed down in the early 2000s.

Now, its Aggie legacy is being picked up with the Debbie '74 and Kent '72 Moore Family Creamery, which will open on the first home gameday, Sept. 3.

Its hours that day will be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and the menu will include classic Blue Bell ice cream flavors, ice cream sandwiches, milkshakes and sundaes.

MadDog73
AG
Who is operating the Creamery?
war hymn aggie
AG
May have missed this but I'm gonna ask anyway:

1. what is going up behind the Exxon Convenience store on Texas & Harvey Mitchell?
2. What's up with Chubby's (behind Mr. Hamburger)? Wanted to try it out but internet says that it's temporarily closed for the past month or so.
trouble
AG
The Internet is wrong. We just had dinner there Friday night.

They are closed on Sunday & Monday. 10-9 Tuesday-Saturday.
halibut sinclair
trouble
AG
Really? I haven't heard that one yet
Bullpen Chias
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

The creamery in the new Aggie Park, Moore Family Creamery, will open Saturday.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/158418/first-scoops-from-aandms-new-creamery-have-sweet-story/

Quote:

That longtime campus creamery, which for many years made all its treats with milk from A&M's dairy herd, moved in 1995 and then closed down in the early 2000s.

Now, its Aggie legacy is being picked up with the Debbie '74 and Kent '72 Moore Family Creamery, which will open on the first home gameday, Sept. 3.

Its hours that day will be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and the menu will include classic Blue Bell ice cream flavors, ice cream sandwiches, milkshakes and sundaes.

The creamery serves Blue Bell? I love BB, but assumed it was "homemade".
maroon barchetta
Yeah. Not sure how it's a creamery if they aren't making the ice cream there.

Otherwise it's just an ice cream shop.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.