BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

665,520 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
A Net Full of Jello
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MiMi said:

New Tex-Mex Cantina opens for soft opening
Quote:

Maria Mia Tex-Mex Cantina is welcoming the public to a soft opening this week.
General Manager of Maria Mia, Jose Lopez, said he can't wait for the people of Bryan College Station to try his favorite dishes.
"We're excited. We were on the River Walk for 10 years, and now were bringing Maria Mia here to College Station after many months of construction. We went ahead and put this place together and it truly is so beautiful," said Lopez.
Lopez said they will announce their official grand opening date within the next couple of weeks.
From May 3 until May 5, Maria Mia will be open to the public from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m.
On May 6 and 7, they will be open 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.

I know I'm going to be "that person" on this thread, but Maria Mia looks kind of expensive. $22 for fajitas for one, queso is $12.50, and ceviche is $15. I hope the portions are generous.
AGDOC95
AG
I think you are looking at the Maria Mia's Bistro on the River Walk in San Antonio. I cannot find the menu for Maria Mia's Tex-Mex Cantina here in College Station.
Tookieclothespin
AG
maroon barchetta said:

ags4rocks said:

Is Trader Joe's moving into the old World Market Building? TexAgs confirm????

Thought somebody said it was going to be Total Wine?
thank goodness. trader joes at that location would be more of a parking nightmare than the wellborn chipotle/starbucks.
FJB
Tookieclothespin
AG
AGDOC95 said:

I think you are looking at the Maria Mia's Bistro on the River Walk in San Antonio. I cannot find the menu for Maria Mia's Tex-Mex Cantina here in College Station.
same thing. probably same prices. they haven't been denying it when people have been freaking out over the $$$ on facebook.
FJB
A Net Full of Jello
AG
AGDOC95 said:

I clicked on the menu link on their facebook page that lists the college station address.
Tailgate88
AG
https://www.facebook.com/mariamiatexmex/menu

Also per their page, they pushed the soft open off until tomorrow.
halibut sinclair
Compared to Juanita's, Maria Mia is cheap.
bcstx06
Tex-Mex Restaurants are becoming like the chicken finger/nail salon/etc. They are on every corner.
979ag
AG
As they should be
TyHolden
AG
quesadillas, guac, 2 soft drinks, 1 beer - around $70
UhOhNoAgTag
Where are all the texmex places that stay open past 2 pm?
maroon barchetta
Taqueria Allende!!
PS3D
ags4rocks said:

Trader Joe's hasn't opened a new store in Texas in 2015. Not sure why people still think they're in the running or that it's a realistic choice.
rc_cat
PS3D said:

ags4rocks said:

Trader Joe's hasn't opened a new store in Texas in 2015. Not sure why people still think they're in the running or that it's a realistic choice.
I thought someone said that Sprouts was opening in that location -
maroon barchetta
rc_cat said:

PS3D said:

ags4rocks said:

Captn_Ag05
AG
The location at Bush and Texas was one area Sprouts was considering, along with at Southwest Parkway and Texas (Stein Mart location). I don't believe they are moving forward with either location. Here is the presentation provided to Sprouts - https://anyflip.com/zqrm/iqpt/basic

rc_cat
Captn_Ag05 said:

The location at Bush and Texas was one area Sprouts was considering, along with at Southwest Parkway and Texas (Stein Mart location). I don't believe they are moving forward with either location. Here is the presentation provided to Sprouts - https://anyflip.com/zqrm/iqpt/basic

Thank you. That's what I was semi-remembering. I guess I was wishfully thinking it was a more concrete proposal.
JayHowdy!
Well, you asked for more Tex-Mex.

Trudy's Authentic Tex-Mex is going into the old Red Lobster.

https://oldhamgoodwin.com/trudys-authentic-tex-mex-to-open-in-former-university-drive-red-lobster-location/

Captn_Ag05
AG
https://trudys.com/
techno-ag
AG
Sorry if mentioned I don't recall seeing it. Matica Biotech coming to BCS.

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/05/03/matica-biotechnology-latest-company-expand-growing-biotechnology-field/

ETA: they "repurposed a building near Academy."
Aggie_95
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

They will need to get rid of the "Longhorn Tacos and Brisket"
kraut
AG
Aggie_95 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

They will need to get rid of the "Longhorn Tacos and Brisket"
BEVO, it's what's for breakfast
TyHolden
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Mexican Martinis and migas are excellent
australopithecus robustus
rodan85
AG
JayHowdy! said:

Well, you asked for more Tex-Mex.

Trudy's Authentic Tex-Mex is going into the old Red Lobster.

https://oldhamgoodwin.com/trudys-authentic-tex-mex-to-open-in-former-university-drive-red-lobster-location/

Loved the Trudy's that was near us in Austin. I hope it does well.
Gig 'em
Bryan '85
TyHolden
AG
I'd bet on Trudy's making it over the other 2 new ones. The original near the university in asstin does really well.
btonto
Went to Maria Mia's soft opening tonight. Got there a little after 5:00 when they opened. They were very deliberate in their seating of the crowd to not overwhelm the servers or the kitchen. Line was out the door but took less than an hour to be seated. Well worth it. My wife had spinach enchiladas and i had the Flauta & Fajita plate. Wife said enchiladas were very good. Chicken Flautas were some of the best I've had and the beef fajitas I got with them were very tender and tasty. Frozen Margarita reminiscent of Ninfa's, Our server Rylan was outstanding, For a soft opening scenario they did extremely well. Like people have said they're not cheap but the quality was above par. Overall a very good experience.
phillytex24
I bet Gringos beats them all. I absolutely love Gringos- it will be the superstar.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Glad to hear the good stuff about Maria Mia's and excited for Gringos. We've been disappointed with Texmex here. Mas Fajitas has not been good the few times we've been, and really all we like at Chuy's are the fajitas and creamy jalapeno. Trudy's looks like another strong contender, too.
australopithecus robustus
phillytex24 said:

I bet Gringos beats them all. I absolutely love Gringos- it will be the superstar.

This without question. Gringo's is 90% as good as pappasitos and 75% the price.
Anonymous Source
S
Trudy's is fantastic.
Gig 'Em
wareagle044
maroon barchetta said:

rc_cat said:

PS3D said:

ags4rocks said:

Someone bring me a grocery store at 6 and Old Reliance pleaseā€¦.calling Brookshire Brothers
halibut sinclair
MyNameIsJeff said:

Glad to hear the good stuff about Maria Mia's and excited for Gringos. We've been disappointed with Texmex here. Mas Fajitas has not been good the few times we've been, and really all we like at Chuy's are the fajitas and creamy jalapeno. Trudy's looks like another strong contender, too.

Have you tried La Carretta, El Charro, Corona's, Don Chente, El Sol de Mexico or Camino's?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
halibut sinclair said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

Have you tried La Carretta, El Charro, Corona's, Don Chente, El Sol de Mexico or Camino's?
Well, let me rephrase my statement a little bit. We've been disappointed with the large, commercial, chains that my wife will go to. The little hole in the wall places are definitely superior, and there are a few on your list I haven't been to. Mi Pueblito is my current favorite Mexican place in town.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Gringo's will do well since in South College Station and not any Tex-Mex competitors down there. I think Juanita's will be popular since in Century Square and a nice location for margaritas and people watching. Trudy's and Maria Mia may be tough competition for each other. I hope they can all make it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.