BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

664,654 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FlyRod said:

Oh my goodness Chef Tai hit a home run into orbit with the new sushi place. It's a stunner. Prices honestly for a top quality sushi place are not bad at all.

Save me a search

Name & Location?
AG
Kangi Sushi - Lake Walk
Smokin Chisel
AG
Kanji Sushi close to the Stella Hotel
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
w8liftr
D1 Training has a sign saying they're loved until further notice.
maroon barchetta
w8liftr said:

D1 Training has a sign saying they're loved until further notice.

Someone will actually give them notice when they are unloved?
Justin2010
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

MO's in century square is already underperforming and may have an exclusive…..

We've got a weird situation here. The densification if Northgate and the area east of it are great. And there is a lot more pedestrian traffic.

But those kids in the fancy big new complexes are funded by wealthy parents. I'm willing to bet 90% of the kids in those complexes have cars and use them almost as much as kids in complexes farther away.
gigem92
AG
Looks like KBTX has been reading TexAgs again.

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/12/23/gyms-sudden-closure-leaves-customers-seeking-answers-refunds/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=kbtx
lockett93
AG
They fail to mention in the article that the owner filed bankruptcy in May for an LLC with dba D1 Training Cedar park. I found that by googling his name. Seems like fairly relevant info to the story.
techno-ag
AG
lockett93 said:

They fail to mention in the article that the owner filed bankruptcy in May for an LLC with dba D1 Training Cedar park. I found that by googling his name. Seems like fairly relevant info to the story.
I do the home gym thing myself but events like this make you lean toward tried and true names I guess. Donnie Tuggle said one guy was out $1800.
mgreen
I think lots of NFL players like Von Miller and the Manning's were involved in D1
FlyRod
Just found out a new place called Shawarma Factory has opened on Texas Ave....no other details. Curious if anyone has tried it.
EBrazosAg
AG
It wouldn't be fair to lump in D1 corporate, or other franchise owners at other locations, with the owners of this location and the other one mentioned….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
Mr Hamburger not reopening
A Net Full of Jello
AG
That's too bad! We really liked Mr. Hamburger.
trouble
AG
So did we. The boys love their hotdogs.
dallasiteinsa02
Tried Doh Pizza rolls. They were greasy and nasty. The meat and dough was not cooked fully.
FlyRod
And to add to the tsunami of Bryan closures, Golds Gym is closing permanently Jan. 22.
bushytailed
AG
FlyRod said:

And to add to the tsunami of Bryan closures, Golds Gym is closing permanently Jan. 22.

That location quit offering classes there months ago but the gym itself has been steady. This just means that the other two locations will be even busier.
Hornbeck
Kirk's Cleaners at Fitch and 6 is closing Dec 31.

I get to find a new place for my dress shirts.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Sad to see all the closure news.
Bucketrunner
Kirk's was great until the granddaughter took over. She closed it at odd times to go have lunch, get her oil changed, etc. We would drive in to town to pick up clothes only to find she was going to be closed a couple of hours.

We switched to the one by Mad Taco and have been totally happy.
maroon barchetta
Wouldn't the one by Mad Taco be the one described as Fitch and 6?
maroon barchetta
A Net Full of Jello said:

That's too bad! We really liked Mr. Hamburger.

The chicken melt was my favorite sandwich in the area.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Is that the one by the Exxon station?
TXAGBQ76
AG
Yes
TXAGBQ76
AG
Pro Cleaners & Alterations at Public Wy and William D Fitch
I've used them for years, great folks, very dependable, do good work
FlyRod
Hornbeck said:

Pride on 29th has been my go to for years. Hopefully it will stay open, unlike so many Bryan places!
Bucketrunner
No. Kirk's is by the Exxon Station
TXAGBQ76
AG
At Fitch and Six by the Exxon Station.
bcstx06
FlyRod said:

Hornbeck said:

Pride on 29th has been my go to for years. Hopefully it will stay open, unlike so many Bryan places!

The honest but sad truth is that MANY Bryan businesses (and residents) have left for South College Station and College Station's Midtown and continue to do so leaving many empty and vacant buildings, and shopping centers. The city of Bryan needs to offer incentives to revitalize Texas Ave as a start. Their current (or former incentive) of offering money to businesses owners to fix up their buildings is basically lipstick on a pig. Texas Ave should Have been widen to 6 lanes when the College Station side was, and the power lines removed. It's a lot of work, but I see no effort whatsoever. Yes, the Midtown park is looking nice, but what about the surrounding area? The incentives should be to attract mid and High-rise buildings with retail on the bottom similar to North Gate.

Not to knock Bryan, because its newer areas are really nice, but many of its older areas need a boost ASAP! But where are the restaurants (excluding hole in the wall taquerias), retail shops, etc?
BiochemAg97
AG
bcstx06 said:

FlyRod said:

Hornbeck said:

The honest but sad truth is that MANY Bryan businesses (and residents) have left for South College Station and College Station's Midtown and continue to do so leaving many empty and vacant buildings, and shopping centers. The city of Bryan needs to offer incentives to revitalize Texas Ave as a start. Their current (or former incentive) of offering money to businesses owners to fix up their buildings is basically lipstick on a pig. Texas Ave should Have been widen to 6 lanes when the College Station side was, and the power lines removed. It's a lot of work, but I see no effort whatsoever. Yes, the Midtown park is looking nice, but what about the surrounding area? The incentives should be to attract mid and High-rise buildings with retail on the bottom similar to North Gate.

Midtown park seems like a more of a activities center for Bryan residents than a housing/retail development. Not sure it should necessarily be connected to a mixed use high rise development. It is surrounded by residential neighborhoods.

That said, didn't they rezone south college Avenue to encourage more vertical development like you suggest.

You don't have to build high rises to revitalize an area. High density residential makes sense in some areas, but not everywhere.
FlyRod
bcstx06 said:

FlyRod said:

Hornbeck said:

Not to knock Bryan, because its newer areas are really nice, but many of its older areas need a boost ASAP! But where are the restaurants (excluding hole in the wall taquerias), retail shops, etc?

100% agree. Not just restaurants but my doctor, dentist and eye doctor all relocated to S CS. Now my gym. Hopefully Bryan leadership will step up to the plate and figure out how to stop the bleeding before we become a ghost town in every sense.
bcstx06
FlyRod said:

bcstx06 said:

FlyRod said:

Hornbeck said:

100% agree. Not just restaurants but my doctor, dentist and eye doctor all relocated to S CS. Now my gym. Hopefully Bryan leadership will step up to the plate and figure out how to stop the bleeding before we become a ghost town in every sense.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who sees this. Bryan needs new infrastructure, incentives to retain and attract new businesses, and a drastic overhaul in the way it attracts business.
Hornbeck
The mayor owns an older tire shop on Texas. I do not see the CoB leadership bringing in big box stores, larger restaurants, or another Discount Tire any time soon. Don't come @ me, I actually like the guy, the times I've met him. The majority of disposable income in the area is focused on campus and South CS. So, that's where things are built.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.