BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

661,027 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Opened last weekend. They are at the Harley Dealer
ChampsAg
Mr. Hamburger is not closed. Good friend is the GM.
Collectonian
AggiePhil said:

Hate to see Mr. Hamburger close but every time I've been recently, it's been mostly empty and very hot inside like they're having trouble paying the utility bill.

Pretty sure they aren't closed. The new sign is connected to the Mr. Hamburger sign, so maybe sharing the space or adding a second business. The Doh Facebook page is pretty anemic other than linking off to the menu.
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
halibut sinclair
M Beaux's posted today that their restaurant will now only be open during crawfish season. The rest of the time they wil focus on catering and using the restaurant as an event space.
ChampsAg
Aw man. one of my favorite places for catfish. but i understand...it's off the beaten path
AgProgrammer
AG
They had crossed that threshold of being just a bit too expensive for what you got. Catfish basket had gotten up to $18, etc. It was just enough to make you go "meh, it's not really that great or that much food for how much it costs to eat here now". I drive by there several times a week and it was always dead.

Now, Yankee's Tavern is thriving and doing well. They've always drawn a huge motorcycle crowd on the weekends but their food has really improved. They went through an ownership change earlier this year and now they do daily lunch specials. Their Monday lunch special is a chicken fried steak, green beans, mashed potatoes, toast, cobbler, and a drink for $9.95. Tuesday a burger basket, Wednesday pork shops, Friday catfish, etc.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Last time I was there they were so busy they turned away business for 45 minutes. Literally wouldn't take an order

Weekday noonish in late August
AG
Anyone been to Andy's yet? Supposedly it opened yesterday, according to this thread.
meezermom
Almost afraid to ask ... lots of work going on at the old Dirty Sock location (lots of diggers and a massive crater there now). Anyone know what's going on there? Possibly a gas station? Hopefully something a little more interesting.
The Brazos Kid
meezermom said:

Almost afraid to ask ... lots of work going on at the old Dirty Sock location (lots of diggers and a massive crater there now). Anyone know what's going on there? Possibly a gas station? Hopefully something a little more interesting.

A new, improved Dirty Sock!
toolshed
AG
meezermom said:

I'm not at liberty to say, but I've been told that one occupant will be one of the existing tenants in the Carpet One complex moving over there so that Carpet One has more warehouse space. Also mentioned was some Dr space. Not sure if that's family practice, or more like skin care or some other type Dr like Urban Optics type service. I wasn't told who exactly the "Dr" side would be. Several years ago, the skin care person my wife sees said she was planning to move in there, but the building took too long and she went elsewhere.

I don't know how big the building is or number of tenants going in.
maroon barchetta
The Brazos Kid said:

meezermom said:

A new, improved Dirty Sock!

Basement "champagne room".
Captn_Ag05
AG
Quote:

Restaurant chain Champion Pizza is pleased to announce its plans to expand its retail footprint beyond the New York City area by opening new locations in Nassau County, New York, and in College Station, Texas.

https://www.newsfilecorp.com/release/137110/NYCs-Champion-Pizza-Expands-with-New-Locations?fbclid=IwAR2la_Lrg4ZysjsPGNZHHr2mRePQnLdX_vgSqnzRib9LvzeW-5D4WhTmWEE
mason12
AG
I feel like I am normally in know or have a general idea of what is goi g into a place.

Due to a Facebook ad I am now aware that the building built next door to The Ranch Harley Davidson is an RV dealership. With the for lease sign up next door at the original building I thought the motorcycle dealership was just moving.
https://theranchrv.com/
bcstx06
mason12 said:

I feel like I am normally in know or have a general idea of what is goi g into a place.

Due to a Facebook ad I am now aware that the building built next door to The Ranch Harley Davidson is an RV dealership. With the for lease sign up next door at the original building I thought the motorcycle dealership was just moving.

I thought the new building was for Harley Davidson as well. But I also thought that new building was too big for a motorcycle dealership. I thought I remembered that Goodwill was going in the Harley Davidson building.

I'm other news, that new bank building at the corner of 2818 and HWY 6 is ugly. It looks like a church building from the 1990s. A 5th grader could've designed a better looking building than that.
halibut sinclair
Saw a sign downtown yesterday that Billy's Grille & Bar is now open (in the old Must Be Heaven spot).
phillytex24
AggiePhil said:

Anyone been to Andy's yet? Supposedly it opened yesterday, according to this thread.

According to a post on their Instagram page, it will open September 21!!!!!!!!! I can't wait!
AggiePhil
AG
phillytex24 said:

AggiePhil said:

According to a post on their Instagram page, it will open September 21!!!!!!!!! I can't wait!

Guess they had to delay it.
BryanPooch
Went to Billy's yesterday. It was busy at 4:30 p.m. and service was fast, efficient. Food came b quickly. Ice tea was weird almost with a taste of kerosene. Our wait person said others had complained, too. I usually don't review in first 60 days. Food was tolerable, edible and m aybe a notch below CollegevStation Dennys. I expect it will improve. For example, oil for French fries was below temperature. One of us had limp, a bit undercooked fries slightly undersalted. The other order was cooked, not crispy and oversalted. It will get better, as chains do.

But fixng the tea is the first thing.

AG81
AG
bcstx06 said:

mason12 said:

I thought the new building was for Harley Davidson as well. But I also thought that new building was too big for a motorcycle dealership. I thought I remembered that Goodwill was going in the Harley Davidson building.

You might want to take a closer look at that website.....

Captn_Ag05
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Salad and Go would be a good option. Low cost, tasty salads, breakfast burritos for $2.99, and $1 coffees and teas.

https://www.saladandgo.com/
Well, looks like I will get my request on this one. Salad and Go is building a location near Texas and SW Parkway. According to the TDLR site, construction is expected to be complete in April.

Since my post in January, they've raised prices for all menu items 25 cents.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Salad and Go would be a good option. Low cost, tasty salads, breakfast burritos for $2.99, and $1 coffees and teas.

Well, looks like I will get my request on this one. Salad and Go is building a location near Texas and SW Parkway. According to the TDLR site, construction is expected to be complete in April.

I predict that place is going to do very, very well.
Captn_Ag05
AG

A drone update on the construction of the new St. Mary's in Northgate. It is going to be a wonderful addition once complete. You can also see the construction progress of the 19-story Rev apartment in the background toward the beginning.
TommyBrady
AG
Here is some renderings of the pool deck of Rev Apartments.

JeepWaveEarl
AG
shhhhhhhhh don't tell people it's our hidden jewel, man.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Been waiting on this place for 4-5 years!!!!
Aggie
AG
Did La caretta in Bryan close? Mexican food joint on 21
halibut sinclair
Aggie said:

Did La caretta in Bryan close? Mexican food joint on 21

Moving to a new, undisclosed location.
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

The address on the TDLR site is the same as the Kettle. Wonder if they're finally throwing in the towel.
rocketscience
AG
Gas station at University and Boyett for sale, being marketed by Oldham Goodwin as a high-density student housing site.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It appears that the Gig'em Food Mart at Boyett and University will not be around much longer. Oldham Goodwin just listed 301 University Drive for high-density residential, so another mid-rise. If another mid-rise goes up, I think this would be a great location for one to have a ground-level grocery, Target, etc. You have all the Northgate towers within easy walking distance and right across from the dorms.

https://d3k1yame0apvip.cloudfront.net/v2/client-10/website-7777/4d41a94cc5ffc91/301_University_100_Boyett___OM.pdf
Captn_Ag05
AG
rocketscience said:

Gas station at University and Boyett for sale, being marketed by Oldham Goodwin as a high-density student housing site.

Beat me to it!
979ag
AG
That would have to be one of the worst places to live on the planet lol
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

It appears that the Gig'em Food Mart at Boyett and University will not be around much longer. Oldham Goodwin just listed 301 University Drive for high-density residential, so another mid-rise. If another mid-rise goes up, I think this would be a great location for one to have a ground-level grocery, Target, etc. You have all the Northgate towers within easy walking distance and right across from the dorms.

https://d3k1yame0apvip.cloudfront.net/v2/client-10/website-7777/4d41a94cc5ffc91/301_University_100_Boyett___OM.pdf
Love this ongoing concentration of students into Northgate.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Agreed, but I do think ground level retail, restaurants, bars, will be important as more towers go up. If the bars get priced out and move out of Northgate, you will have a new bar district develop somewhere else which will re-create the issue of students driving to and from the bars.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.