BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

661,090 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
rocketscience
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

dilliam said:

Looks like Parallel who is already redeveloping the Lutheran Chapel site on NG is building another development on 1st and Louise. 10 stories, 740 beds.

The rendering for the Lutheran Chapel redevelopment look great, so hopefully this will follow suit... especially with it being so visible from Wellborn.

https://www.cstx.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=18348854
I see this plan for that location. It isn't 10 stories however.

https://pactdesignstudio.com/northgate-apartments-401-1st-street/
That plan must have died. The design matches a plat I remember seeing a couple years ago. I'll definitely take a 10 story building that covers that entire block over a 4 story building that takes up only a couple lots.

I've felt that corner of Northgate has been keeping the area from reaching its full potential for a while so I'm glad to see it's being chipped away at. Hoping the rest gets redeveloped soon!
Broncos
aggiepaintrain said:

Today is Boomtown BBQ last day being open. Posted on FB, they were next to Burger King in CS
Man, they were pretty solid in the quick BBQ Sandwich game.
Hittag1492
AG
Broncos said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Today is Boomtown BBQ last day being open. Posted on FB, they were next to Burger King in CS
Unfortunate for any restaurant owner. They were solid. They priced themselves with the other BBQ/Brisket places which was a mistake. they had good sandwiches, potatoes and sides. The brisket was ok, not great and chicken was solid as was the sausage. They would have been better off going a little under on pricing and focusing on the quick sandwiches, potatoes, sausage wraps and made their own little niche in that market. Someone more creative and experienced in that industry than me could likely have helped.

It is a tough market anyway and their main meat products were just not as good as the competition. Covid sure did not help-and delivery/quick order foods would have been smarter there also. Never wish any ill will on these types of businesses. They ran a solid place overall and almost made it-it is a tough gig.
Aggie
AG
ThunderCatsHOOOO! said:

Taco Bar has closed their location on Wellborn

Nothing except for laynes and CJ has survived that center
bushytailed
AG
Aggie said:

ThunderCatsHOOOO! said:

Taco Bar has closed their location on Wellborn

Nothing except for laynes and CJ has survived that center

Jesse needs to look at that spot. He's mentioned wanting to open a College Station location but wants something with a drive-thru window.
montegobay
Taco Bar moved. It didn't close.

I think Boomtown would have done better further south. That location was not good. It's inconvenient to reach and Cooper's is just across the street.
bcstx06
montegobay said:

I think Boomtown would have done better further south. That location was not good. It's inconvenient to reach and Cooper's is just across the street.

I think Boomtown could have survived West Bryan an area that is severely underserved with restaurants and retail. You should see the drive through lines at the few restaurants in the area at dinner time, especially WingsNMore.

South College Station has plenty to choose from. Developers see south College Station as a gold mine (which it is), but if they paid more attention to underserved areas then they might realize there is a market there also. One example was the Way Back Burger franchise that came town with 2 locations in College Station and 1 in Bryan a few years back. Well today, the only survivor of those three locations is the one in Bryan because it is located in area that is underserved when it comes to those types of restaurants. The other two were in areas with a plethora of choices.
mr83tr88
AG
According to KBTX, it wasn't lack of business but serious issues with the supplies that caused the to close.
maroon barchetta
Location location location.

That's the other problem besides supply chain.
aggies4life
AG
One of the reason was lack of sales volume (ref: their fb page)
australopithecus robustus
This is a serious curiosity. For those that are saying boomtown is a bad location, please explain why it is vs wings n more across the street or Burger King next door.

deh40
AG
bcstx06 said:

montegobay said:

I think Boomtown could have survived West Bryan an area that is severely underserved with restaurants and retail. You should see the drive through lines at the few restaurants in the area at dinner time, especially WingsNMore.

South College Station has plenty to choose from. Developers see south College Station as a gold mine (which it is), but if they paid more attention to underserved areas then they might realize there is a market there also. One example was the Way Back Burger franchise that came town with 2 locations in College Station and 1 in Bryan a few years back. Well today, the only survivor of those three locations is the one in Bryan because it is located in area that is underserved when it comes to those types of restaurants. The other two were in areas with a plethora of choices.
Boomtown is not in south College Station.
maroon barchetta
australopithecus robustus said:

This is a serious curiosity. For those that are saying boomtown is a bad location, please explain why it is vs wings n more across the street or Burger King next door.

Coopers is very close by and a big name in Texas and has a better building and curb appeal.

Boomtown and Burger King are accessible if you are heading south in the feeder of the bypass, or exiting from Hwy 6 north to Texas Avenue. Heading south on Texas, not so much. It's difficult to get to BK or Boomtown from Texas south.

Wings and More doesn't have a nicer larger more famous wing place within half a mile. It is also accessible from all directions.

Yes, you could maybe whip a u-turn from Texas south to Texas north to get to Boomtown or BK, but u-turns in this town are a risky proposition in many places (looking at you, Texas and Milliff or Wellborn and Deacon).

Also, BK might get propped up a bit by corporate. Boomtown doesn't have that option.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Boomtown and Coopers seem like two different things to me. Boomtown sold $3 sausage wraps. I spend $30/head in Coopers. I had Boomtown a couple times. It just wasn't anything special - other than BBQ place with a drive thru.

I do agree it would have a better chance of working in Tower Point area.
ChampsAg
Not surprised to see Boomtown leave. Drive-thru bbq...no thanks. Went once with a friend and he was genuinely surprised that I did not like it.
Based on that, sounds like more of a case of the wrong concept in the wrong spot at the wrong time, more than geographical location.

Thank you for answering my curiosity.
bcstx06
deh40 said:

bcstx06 said:

montegobay said:

Well it's not William D Fitch south. I guess you could call it central???
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
bcstx06 said:

deh40 said:

bcstx06 said:

montegobay said:

Well it's not William D Fitch south. I guess you could call it central???

We here at the City of College Station would appreciate it if you'd use the proper terminology. It's called "Midtown," not "Central College Station.". The word "Midtown" describes the location. See what we did there?

If you continue to use improper terminology, we will pass an ordinance restricting how many times you can use that phrase in your home before we fine you. It's all about neighborhood integrity.

Thanks!

/end heavy sarcasm/

This is GOLD
I would only add that if you debate or argue with our findings on our nomenclature we will pivot our position to fall under the guise of "public safety", therefore rendering your position moot and ours irrefutable. We of course know that under the guise of public safety, our position supersedes even that of the Supreme Court.
doubledog
Broncos said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Too expensive and too much salt...
Tookieclothespin
AG
Broncos said:

aggiepaintrain said:

yep. sometimes you just need a quick cheap bbq sandwich instead of coopers $15 sandwich/tinydrink/smallchips. the aggie special is highway robbery and it's not special.
FJB
TyHolden
AG
When the Costco goes up, everything past Walmart will do well.
Rapier108
Maybe it has been there for a while and I just didn't notice it, but there is a for sale sign for the location where the old S&W Clinic on University Drive used to be so it looks like Pappadeaux isn't happening.
Tailgate88
AG
Rapier108 said:

Maybe it has been there for a while and I just didn't notice it, but there is a for sale sign for the location where the old S&W Clinic on University Drive used to be so it looks like Pappadeaux isn't happening.
Flatlander
"Pappadeaux isn't happening" should be the College Station city motto.

Tookieclothespin
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Rapier108 said:

I saw someone putting up (or maybe adjusting, I was paying more attention to the road) a "land available" sign in that area.

At this point: forget them. If they ever come here, I'm not going.
FJB
Captn_Ag05
AG
Three Twenties and A Ten said:

Haven't seen it mentioned previously but hearing rumors of the newish "flexible-format Target" model, being planned for the current FedEx space being vacated @ University/Stasney St. They have one on-campus at t.u. --- nice (and smart) concept for the retailer.

New Target store on track for UT campus - Curbed Austin
Oldham Gooodwin just listed the FedEx location today (509 University)

https://oldhamgoodwin.com/properties/509-university-drive/

rocketscience
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Haven't seen it mentioned previously but hearing rumors of the newish "flexible-format Target" model, being planned for the current FedEx space being vacated @ University/Stasney St. They have one on-campus at t.u. --- nice (and smart) concept for the retailer.

Important to note it's being marketed as a ground lease "High Density Student Housing Site" so if Oldham Goodwin's vision for it happens we're looking at another student apartment tower fronting University.
TommyBrady
AG
Please let it be true
SandAG
RyanFromTexas said:

We have a partial date! Costco's new locations page is now showing a June opening.

https://www.costco.com/new-locations.html

Update: New target date is August 4th.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Important to note it's being marketed as a ground lease "High Density Student Housing Site" so if Oldham Goodwin's vision for it happens we're looking at another student apartment tower fronting University.

Hopefully not. Don't see how that area can handle anymore students without some decent retail to serve them. University Dr. btwn Texas and Wellborn is becoming almost as bad traffic-wise as any street in Houston or other metro.

The fact there is so little retail (grocery, basic household items, clothing, etc) in the area to keep students living on north campus or the other student housing in the area from having to leave, is creating major traffic/pedestrian issues. Can't believe Culpepper hasn't leased out their parking lot in front of Hurricane Harry's to some small grocer or retailer. Probably some of the most valuable real estate in town and completely wasted.
maroon barchetta

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Hopefully not. Don't see how that area can handle anymore students without some decent retail to serve them. University Dr. btwn Texas and Wellborn is becoming almost as bad traffic-wise as any street in Houston or other metro.

The fact there is so little retail (grocery, basic household items, clothing, etc) in the area to keep students living on north campus or the other student housing in the area from having to leave, is creating major traffic/pedestrian issues. Can't believe Culpepper hasn't leased out their parking lot in front of Hurricane Harry's to some small grocer or retailer. Probably some of the most valuable real estate in town and completely wasted.

If only there were a grocery store there near Harry's. That would be helpful. I wish someone had done that at some point in the past.
BetsyParker
BetsyParker
AG
maroon barchetta said:

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

If only there were a grocery store there near Harry's. That would be helpful. I wish someone had done that at some point in the past.
And it could change names as the chain slowly dies. What was the last name of that store…Jewel Osco?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.