BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

664,676 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

The mourning crew at WTAW was strongly hinting that the gas island at Costco will open today.

Who will be the first to review?

Typical topics:
Charging for water?
Unacceptable parking rules?
Outrageous gun policy / smoking signage?
Name sounds too much like COSCO, or maybe Cisco?

I assume you need a Costco card to buy gas.... wonder if they are moving their tent for the $10 cards from in front of the Guaranty Bank building to the gas station.

Will be interested to see how their prices compare to Sam's and/or HEB....
happyinBCS
I filled up at Costco this morning no line easy in and out 415.9 a gallon
maroon barchetta
happyinBCS said:

That seems excessive!
MadDog73
AG
happyinBCS said:

Where did you sign up for membership?
MsDoubleD81
AG
They have a tent next to gas pumps. Be prepared. They are heavily pushing executive membership and credit card.
TLIAC
AG
maroon barchetta said:

How bad are things to get evicted to the point you have to move your home as well?

What rules did they break?
Busted for selling narcotics out of their house and then some for non-payment of lot rent. I'll add that at that time all homes had to be owner occupied. They did not allow rentals so if the owner was evicted, the house had to go also (unless they sold it).
Marooned_n_Aggieland
happyinBCS said:

GasBuddy is reporting prices at Walmart as $4.29 and HEB as $4.34

That's about 3% less. Let's say you put in 23 gallons that's around $3 saving per a fill up at these prices (compared to the Walmart reported price).

Using this savings alone, the breakeven point is 20 fill ups to cover the membership ($60).

Costco uses an approximate 15% markup on items.
Broncos

The mourning crew at WTAW
What are we mourning now?
maroon barchetta
Broncos said:

The mourning crew at WTAW
What are we mourning now?

They are heavily invested in Sam's stock.
happyinBCS
and gas purchases do not count for the rebate on the membership I just bought the 60.00 with the 10.00 gift card
BiochemAg97
AG
happyinBCS said:

and gas purchases do not count for the rebate on the membership I just bought the 60.00 with the 10.00 gift card
That is why they are pushing the CC, 5% back on gas purchases. Catch is the rebate is annual and is a voucher to be used in the store. Note, they will give you cash back if you don't spend your whole rebate, both for the CC rebate and the executive membership rebate.
TXAGBQ76
AG
We've been Costco members forever. With the rebate program, we've never had to ante up for the annual fee.
spike427
AG
Does Costco really only take Visa??
australopithecus robustus
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't take AMEX and Discover. AMEX in particular costs much more for the merchant to accept. Keeping costs low has convenience trade offs.
trouble
AG
spike427 said:

Yes, they have an exclusive contract with Visa.
happyinBCS
they take any flavor debit card
happyinBCS
Sam's gas has reopened let's have an old-fashioned gas war
trouble
AG
True that
MadDog73
AG
happyinBCS said:

Sam's is a penny cheaper than Costco
maroon barchetta
Costco is too far from the bypass.
FlyRod
And "kinda expensive for this town." And worst of all, no free soda refills!!!
Hornbeck
They charge a credit card surcharge? Asking for several hundred friends.
AggieBaseball06
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/02/company-behind-park-west-apartments-set-default-nearly-7-million-debt/

Quote:

The company behind Park West - Texas A&M University is in financial trouble. NCCD- College Station Properties LLC is set to default on nearly $7 million dollars in debt Friday.

Quote:

Moody's reported that this is due to an oversaturated student housing market that has made it challenging to pay bond debt.

So it's not "going" but it raises interesting questions for more apartments that are coming soon.
Collectonian
trouble said:

spike427 said:

Oh, well that sucks Was looking forward to seeing what the big deal with Costco was... I've had friends rave about some kind of chicken dinner thing they have

And confirmed: https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/719/~/what-payment-methods-are-accepted-at-costco%3F
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
Ribbed Paultz
happyinBCS said:

Sam's gas isn't Top Tier gas, for those that care…..
BiochemAg97
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/02/company-behind-park-west-apartments-set-default-nearly-7-million-debt/

Quote:

The company behind Park West - Texas A&M University is in financial trouble. NCCD- College Station Properties LLC is set to default on nearly $7 million dollars in debt Friday.

Quote:

Moody's reported that this is due to an oversaturated student housing market that has made it challenging to pay bond debt.

So it's not "going" but it raises interesting questions for more apartments that are coming soon.

I wonder if the "over saturated" market was from COVID times. Lots of students opted to stay home for online only COVID.

Or simply that the finances didn't really work between the debt and the PPP obligations to A&M.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Collectonian said:

trouble said:

spike427 said:

Oh, well that sucks Was looking forward to seeing what the big deal with Costco was... I've had friends rave about some kind of chicken dinner thing they have

And confirmed: https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/719/~/what-payment-methods-are-accepted-at-costco%3F

It appears they take just about every type of payment except MC/AMEX/Discover credit cards.
Bullpen Chias
AG
COVID and A LOT of building over the last few years has to be weighing heavily. That property is huge, but I figured their partnership with A&M would always position them well for any tough times. Will be interesting to see what happens next.
MiMi
S
Chubby's Public House is opening July 5.
UmustBKidding
Park west was always in money trouble. Person who worked on the development for the university related a story about how they were upset about something not being handled over to them when scheduled. They informed them that they were behind on their schedule payment for their work and was told not to do it until current. They then expressed that they did not understand what was going on and to call the chancellor office to get straightened out. Response was simply who do you think told me to withhold it. Pre covid and finish of lots of complexes.
So i expected A&M figured needed dorms eventually and if partner fails poof half or less price on a large dorm, if not then pushed back their need to build one.
maroon barchetta
WAT
BiochemAg97
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Park west was always in money trouble. Person who worked on the development for the university related a story about how they were upset about something not being handled over to them when scheduled. They informed them that they were behind on their schedule payment for their work and was told not to do it until current. They then expressed that they did not understand what was going on and to call the chancellor office to get straightened out. Response was simply who do you think told me to withhold it. Pre covid and finish of lots of complexes.
So i expected A&M figured needed dorms eventually and if partner fails poof half or less price on a large dorm, if not then pushed back their need to build one.

Seems like a good way to cut or restructure some debt. The LLC goes bankrupt, sell at a discount to another LLC, keep the same management company.

Wonder how the obligations to the university are handled with the bankruptcy. And what rights the university has built in for default/bankruptcy.
UmustBKidding
My understanding they have superior rights and since they own the property and utilities the are likely they only viable purchaser if they decide they want it
b0ridi
UmustBKidding said:

Can anyone translate this to coherent English?
TyHolden
AG
MiMi said:

Chubby's Public House is opening July 5.
close to Mr Hamburger....I see an angry, cruel burger war coming on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.