BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

661,115 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
BlueMiles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Collectonian said:

AggiePhil said:

Hate to see Mr. Hamburger close but every time I've been recently, it's been mostly empty and very hot inside like they're having trouble paying the utility bill.

Pretty sure they aren't closed. The new sign is connected to the Mr. Hamburger sign, so maybe sharing the space or adding a second business. The Doh Facebook page is pretty anemic other than linking off to the menu.
I did not see it posted yet, so I'm posting to confirm that the Doh pizza rolls are being sold inside the Mr Hamburger place. Just an addition to the existing menu.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Body20 will be opening a location in Tower Point.

https://body20.com/

Captn_Ag05
AG
Harvest Coffee has put in for a permit for signage at 910 Fitch, Suite 100, which is the old Howdy Pizza location.

Also of potential interest from the permit report, Parallel has put in for two cranes needed for construction of the 10-story apartment at 401 First Street and a permit was applied for for excavation work for the Everett, which will be an 8-story apartment at 500 College Main, so expect to see these two buildings start going up soon in Northgate.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

tb9665 said:

Old Macy's location would have been great.
That would be really close to Grand Station, which is a similar business. I'd prefer to see it somewhere like the Jones Crossing center.

If the city let Main Event go into Macy's after Grand Station wanted to buy it, that would be…

Who am I kidding, that sounds about right for the way COCS makes decisions

Never mind.
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

tb9665 said:

Old Macy's location would have been great.
That would be really close to Grand Station, which is a similar business. I'd prefer to see it somewhere like the Jones Crossing center.

If the city let Main Event go into Macy's after Grand Station wanted to buy it, that would be…

Who am I kidding, that sounds about right for the way COCS makes decisions

Never mind.

That would make total sense.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Or the new Bryan park where the golf course was on VM
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Or the new Bryan park where the golf course was on VM

That would be the best location. Close to campus and in the middle of town.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Champion Pizza posted on Facebook that they will be opening tomorrow (Thursday). They are located in the center where Old Navy is in College Station.
Tailgate88
AG
Chicken Oil announces they will reopen sometime in 2023.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Champion Pizza posted on Facebook that they will be opening tomorrow (Thursday). They are located in the center where Old Navy is in College Station.
Went and it was great! NY style pizza run by a franchise that actually started out of NY. Sold by the slice and actually cooked like an NY pizza. Should do well with the college crowd. Met the owner/founder who was there for the grand opening. He won the international pizza making acrobatics competition in 2010 (hence the "Champion" name). Super nice Turkish guy...has an amazing story I read about on their website!

Champion Pizza NYC

Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

On TDLR, there is a project registered for a $1 million renovation of 2300 S. Texas Avenue in Bryan, which is the old University Inn motel. The project name is Armadillo Studios. In digging around a bit, the owner registered an LLC a couple of months ago called Armadillo Studio Apartments LLC. So, more apartments.
Have seen a lot of these in Austin and urban areas...old motor inn or mid-century motels taken and converted into studio apartments. If done well, they're pretty cool and a good use of usually really run-down spaces.
bcstx06
Three Twenties and A Ten said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

On TDLR, there is a project registered for a $1 million renovation of 2300 S. Texas Avenue in Bryan, which is the old University Inn motel. The project name is Armadillo Studios. In digging around a bit, the owner registered an LLC a couple of months ago called Armadillo Studio Apartments LLC. So, more apartments.
Have seen a lot of these in Austin and urban areas...old motor inn or mid-century motels taken and converted into studio apartments. If done well, they're pretty cool and a good use of usually really run-down spaces.

Something like the Heights House Hotel would be nicer! https://heightshousehotel.com/gallery/ And it could become a tourist attraction that could revitalize that area of town.
PS3D

Captn_Ag05 said:

Some of the conversions (it's one company, mostly) take mostly mid-range motels, they're not converting anything in the ghetto. To me, 2300 S. Texas Avenue seems like a bit of a hard sell because it's surrounded by a crappy, run-down motels and abandoned/empty buildings.

If you look at something like The Hedge in Austin, it was already built out with similar apartments and a retail base.
MB19
AG

Captn_Ag05 said:

Went and it was great! NY style pizza run by a franchise that actually started out of NY. Sold by the slice and actually cooked like an NY pizza. Should do well with the college crowd! Met the owner/founder who won the international pizza making competition in 2010 (hence the "Champion" name). Super nice Italian guy.
I went by this afternoon. It is great.

I will be a repeat customer.
halibut sinclair
MB19 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Went and it was great! NY style pizza run by a franchise that actually started out of NY. Sold by the slice and actually cooked like an NY pizza. Should do well with the college crowd! Met the owner/founder who won the international pizza making competition in 2010 (hence the "Champion" name). Super nice Italian guy.

Dine in? Beer?
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
halibut sinclair said:

MB19 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Dine in? Beer?
Dine and Carry Out.

Can't recall if they had a liquor license and/or beer to sell.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Smoosh is opening its second location on Saturday in Northpoint.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Global Student Housing has submitted their site plans for a four-story, 200-unit apartment located at 404 Harvey Mitchell Parkway South.
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Global Student Housing has submitted their site plans for a four-story, 200-unit apartment located at 404 Harvey Mitchell Parkway South.
It's not Northgate but we'll take it.
TommyBrady
AG
Great location for most students but That will be great for Vet School, RELLIS, and the HSC students.
Maui McQueen
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Looks like they are going to be 1 and 2-bedroom units only. Definitely good for grad / professional students.
chickencoupe16
AG
Went to Champion Pizza tonight. TL;DR: not impressed and won't be back.

Between the wife and me, we had 4 slices of pizza and a bottle of water. Our total meal cost was ~$23. 3 of the 4 pizzas were good (not great) and the 4th sucked. We always get water for drinks but you've got to buy it in a bottle. And for those that have asked, no alcohol is served.

All in all, Cici's is a better experience.
cslifer
Had the exact same experience. Definitely will not be back, food just wasn't good.
chickencoupe16
AG
cslifer said:

Had the exact same experience. Definitely will not be back, food just wasn't good.
I had seen pictures from a friend on Facebook that looked great and saw great things posted here. I wanted like it but it was just a bust the whole way around.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Do the Google Reviews for this place seem... suspicious... to anyone else?
chickencoupe16
AG
Without a doubt bought and paid for! Lol! Most of the "reviewers'" reviews are of places in India. Seems that Champion Pizza is a big tourist destination.

One review talked about the great ambiance. If you've been to Champion, you'd know that ambiance is a term that would never be used to describe the atmosphere. Another review raved that the pizza was out in less than 15 minutes. They reheat the already cooked pizza in an large, Subway-esque oven. Our pizza was out in less than 5 minutes. If I had had to wait for 15 minutes, I'd be very unhappy.
KidDoc
AG
Tried Soho last night and was very impressed. Pretty cheap and interesting menu for a chicken joint!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MiMi
S
Where and what is Soho?
MS08
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

Went to Champion Pizza tonight. TL;DR: not impressed and won't be back.

Between the wife and me, we had 4 slices of pizza and a bottle of water. Our total meal cost was ~$23. 3 of the 4 pizzas were good (not great) and the 4th sucked. We always get water for drinks but you've got to buy it in a bottle. And for those that have asked, no alcohol is served.

All in all, Cici's is a better experience.

Same. Overpriced. Not tasty. Not fresh. Not a tea making thermos or fountain drink stand. I don't believe they actually make the crust from scratch. "One bite, everybody knows the rules," - 4.4
And that might even be generous. They won't last. Next!
MS08
AG
KidDoc said:

Tried Soho last night and was very impressed. Pretty cheap and interesting menu for a chicken joint!

So Fly?
KidDoc
AG
MS08 said:

KidDoc said:

So Fly?
yeah So Fly sorry!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgTrip
I tried WFC and that place was amazing. That meteorite chicken salad was delicious and the Korean BBQ sauce was incredible. The staff are super nice too! We had no idea what to expect and were very surprised at how good the food was!
MS08
AG
It's in my stomping grounds but I have never tried it. That strip center area looks as if it's grasping for straws. I'll have to give it a whirl.
maroon barchetta
MS08 said:

It's in my stomping grounds but I have never tried it. That strip center area looks as if it's grasping for straws. I'll have to give it a whirl.

WFC?
BQwolf05
AG
Whole Fried Chicken

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.