BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

668,737 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
phillytex24 said:

Prior to the pandemic, the Whataburger on Dominik was supposed to be expanded into a two-story restaurant. That's why the Gumby's moved; they bought that space for the expansion. Any word if Whatabuger is still going to do this?
I believe they also own, under another ownership name, much of the property behind Whataburger, facing Geo Bush East. I figure that whole block will eventually be commercial.
AG81
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

MsDoubleD81 said:

Sunday and Monday for their insider card holders.

We got a link from Facebook this morning to get $80 worth of curbside today. Everything went well. Food was good temp and flavor. Good service. Lots of leftovers

Went last night. Queso loco is the bomb!! El Capitan and the tres amigos enchilada plate excellent!

Good service. They have waitstaff from Houston training servers. I thought our trainee was better than the veteran as he had a bit of an attitude.

The inside layout reminds me of a Pappadeaux.

Can't wait to go back!

Went tonight. Gringos will become THE go to Tex Mex place in town.
JMac03
AG
I loved the inside of Gringos too. Thought food was good. I could totally just for the happy hour margs and queso loco.

MsDoubleD81
AG
The pork rinds with the queso were awesome!!!! And yep, finally a decent place to go sit and sip a margarita!!!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Lazboy is opening a location in South College Station off Fitch.
histag10
AG
Awesome! I have one that I need to have cleaned under the warranty, and that will likely save me a trip to Houston.
FlyRod
It looks like Big Dawg BBQ is opening a standing restaurant on 29th next to Blinn. I recall seeing their truck at the farmers market a few times but sadly never tried it. Thinking that might be a good location with all the students and health care workers in that area.

Edit: The name will be "The Station on 29th."
trouble
AG
I was wondering what that was. I couldn't see a sign the last time I drove by.

C&Js new location looks like it's nearly ready
bushytailed
AG
So Fly opens tomorrow
SalesAg13
AG
We had them out for an event once, it was good "truck" BBQ
Costa and Andreas
bushytailed said:

So Fly opens tomorrow
Hi yes I can confirm we are opening today. We trained/cooked the full menu with staff yesterday. We have drive thru and dine in.

The faves yesterday were the california roll taco, king of the south taco, the nellyville "hot n herre" sandwich, the big bad mutha clucka sandwich of course, and the fabulous thunderbird. Also the thicc thighs (yes its spelled that way).

Don't forget we have the Cinnaboss gourmet cinnamon rolls made on site!

If you want a classic sandwich that straight forward, we have the Straight Shooter which has Schwartz pickles and our superfly sauce.

Thanks!
Rex Racer
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

So Fly opens tomorrow
Hi yes I can confirm we are opening today. We trained/cooked the full menu with staff yesterday. We have drive thru and dine in.

The faves yesterday were the california roll taco, king of the south taco, the nellyville "hot n herre" sandwich, the big bad mutha clucka sandwich of course, and the fabulous thunderbird. Also the thicc thighs (yes its spelled that way).

If you want a classic sandwich that straight forward, we have the Straight Shooter which has Schwartz pickles and our superfly sauce.

Thanks!
I still miss the strawberry tart!
Costa and Andreas
Rex Racer said:

Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

So Fly opens tomorrow

Thanks!
I still miss the strawberry tart!

Definitely on our radar! Going forward it will just need to be in a bankable business model to support its intensity of production. Time will tell if the the proper situation will present itself. It will have to beckon us, we won't chase it down and force it.
happyinBCS
What is the lowdown on Gringos I have seen a few posts if I get there at 10 55 tomorrow can I just walk in and sit at the bar and get lunch
TyHolden
AG
happyinBCS said:

What is the lowdown on Gringos I have seen a few posts if I get there at 10 55 tomorrow can I just walk in and sit at the bar and get lunch
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gringos-mexican-kitchen-college-station
phillytex24
happyinBCS said:

Everyone is loving Gringos! It's going to be the go-to spot for Mexican food in Aggieland for sometime. I knew it would be! We love eating there whenever we're in Houston. This location seems to be even more wonderful than the other locations, and that's so exciting!
halibut sinclair
We'll keep going to the Gringo's in Cypress until the locals calm down. Probably 6 months.

Luckily, we also have Maria Mia, which has been quite good for us 3 or 4 times now.
woodiewood1
oklaunion said:

phillytex24 said:

Prior to the pandemic, the Whataburger on Dominik was supposed to be expanded into a two-story restaurant. That's why the Gumby's moved; they bought that space for the expansion. Any word if Whatabuger is still going to do this?
I believe they also own, under another ownership name, much of the property behind Whataburger, facing Geo Bush East. I figure that whole block will eventually be commercial.
Whataburger doesn't own the old Gumby's location. Three of the executives with WB do under the ownership name of EG TEJAS LLC and they also own six properties on GB behind. The first two properties on GB are not owned by any entity connected to WB.

The two story design, you can see a photo of the Corpus 2 story in the Dominik location, was dropped a number of years ago.

I was told by a SA WB top executive that they have moved to open locations in Nashville and other in other states.

Their plans to also build on on the Pappadoux's site, the old S/W clinic, was also decided to be dropped. They thought it would cannibalize the Dominik one too much as the Wellborn store did by taking a lot of sales from the Rock Prairie store.

They have looked at putting one near the intersection of Hwy 21/Hwy 6 and also in front of the Walmart in west Bryan.

techno-ag
AG
RELLIS needs closer food options too. Someday.
woodiewood1
techno-ag said:

Going to be a decade or two before you get a few chain fast food operations out there. Not enough traffic.
bcstx06
woodiewood1 said:

techno-ag said:

Going to be a decade or two before you get a few chain fast food operations out there. Not enough traffic.

Looks like the city is working to make it much sooner then you think.
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/21/city-bryan-hosting-public-meeting-proposed-riverside-innovation-corridor/?outputType=amp
MsDoubleD81
AG
happyinBCS said:

I was there today around 2 pm and it was packed. But so yummy!
TyHolden
AG
Tried the new So-Fly yesterday. The Mutha Clucka could be the best chicken sandwich if it was a bit spicier. Is that the spiciest they have? It's good but it needs more.
TommyBrady
AG
TyHolden said:

Tried the new So-Fly yesterday. The Mutha Clucka could be the best chicken sandwich if it was a bit spicier. Is that the spiciest they have? It's good but it needs more.

Tried yesterday as well! The nuggets might be the best deal in town for the quality and quantity of what you get. Everybody loved all their sandwiches so it is going to be in our rotation for now on
AggiePhil
AG
I got the basic chicken sandwich. It was just OK. The chicken part was kind of tough and flavorless. Hopefully they can correct that. Otherwise, the menu is very cool.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

So Fly opens tomorrow

Thanks!

Where can one go to vent to management about the Boots sodas at Mojo?

Bro, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the burgers and fries you guys cook up. But I can't lie, the watered down Boots sodas are probably decreasing my frequency of trips to your place (probably best for my health anyway). I just need real sodas to enjoy with my tasty burger and fries. (This is not meant to come at you, it's just feedback from a very loyal customer who could actually be even more loyal if you guys had coke or pepsi on hand)
Bullpen Chias
AG
I personally make decisions on where I eat out based on their carriage of Diet Dr.Pepper.
Costa and Andreas
TyHolden said:

Thanks! Mutha Clucka is moderately spicy. There are pepper ratings on the menu.

The nellyville "hot n herre" is our hottest at four peppers.

You can make anything we have hotter by adding serrano pepper.

Personally I think the mutha clucka done nellyville style would be amazing.
Costa and Andreas
AggiePhil said:

I got the basic chicken sandwich. It was just OK. The chicken part was kind of tough and flavorless. Hopefully they can correct that. Otherwise, the menu is very cool.

You prob got the straight shooter, which is exactly that. It's only pickles and solfy sauce. I'm sorry you didn't love it.

You may consider one of our more jazzed up sandwiches next time. There's a lot going on on them.
TommyBrady
AG
You need to open up one of these in Kansas. I'm from there and the lack of food options is so bad that people would be lining up around the block for So Fly or Burger Mojo. Thanks for making great products for us to eat. You have had a great impact on BCS food scene!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

I personally make decisions on where I eat out based on their carriage of Diet Dr.Pepper.

Diet Dr. Pepper is probably the closest thing to real DP there is far as diet to real comparisons.

Dr Diet Boots of whatever that's called tastes absolutely nothing like Diet DP much less DP.

I can see them wanting to continue to give business to a localish company but maybe they can do like Chimys and add in a Coke fountain station as well? That way Boots still gets exposure and some business and Mojo loyalists like myself can be placated and kept happy by having the more traditional soda options available.

I can almost guarantee you sales would be up with traditional sodas offered.
Costa and Andreas
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

So Fly opens tomorrow

Thanks!

Bro, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the burgers and fries you guys cook up. But I can't lie, the watered down Boots sodas are probably decreasing my frequency of trips to your place (probably best for my health anyway). I just need real sodas to enjoy with my tasty burger and fries. (This is not meant to come at you, it's just feedback from a very loyal customer who could actually be even more loyal if you guys had coke or pepsi on hand)

Your observation is noted and certainly not the first time we've heard it. I really appreciate it. I've addressed this a time or two on here before and I'm happy to explain.

Boots has a bunch of unique flavors that many of our customers love and come in for. We also make our craft floats off of the Boots platform. It's tough because even I too prefer Coke Zero for instance.

I should take this opportunity to note however, on an unrelated facet of the biz, that we just increased our size of burger from 1/4 lb to 1/3 lb. In a time when businesses are cutting costs and reducing portions due to inflation, we said we will do the opposite. We wanted to be the only drive thru that uses more than 1/4 lb as the standard. So, if you get a double at Mojo, you are now getting 2/3lb! For most I'm sure 1/3 lb is sufficient, but the option is there.

This of course doesn't make the Coke or Pepsi patron happier about soda, but it does give us the niche bragging right that we're larger than Whataburger for instance!
Costa and Andreas
TommyBrady said:

You need to open up one of these in Kansas. I'm from there and the lack of food options is so bad that people would be lining up around the block for So Fly or Burger Mojo. Thanks for making great products for us to eat. You have had a great impact on BCS food scene!

Funny thing I was born in Wichita and have family there still. However, there will be no Kansas any time soon lol. We are about to hurry up and slow down for a while lol.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

So Fly opens tomorrow

Thanks!

Your observation is noted and certainly not the first time we've heard it. I really appreciate it. I've addressed this a time or two on here before and I'm happy to explain.

Boots has a bunch of unique flavors that many of our customers love and come in for. We also make our craft floats off of the Boots platform. It's tough because even I too prefer Coke Zero for instance.

I should take this opportunity to note however, on an unrelated facet of the biz, that we just increased our size of burger from 1/4 lb to 1/3 lb. In a time when businesses are cutting costs and reducing portions due to inflation, we said we will do the opposite. We wanted to be the only drive thru that uses more than 1/4 lb as the standard. So, if you get a double at Mojo, you are now getting 2/3lb! For most I'm sure 1/3 lb is sufficient, but the option is there.

This of course doesn't make the Coke or Pepsi patron happier about soda, but it does give us the niche bragging right that we're larger than Whataburger for instance!

Lol I came in the other day to 2818 and ordered a double and noticed it was massive compared to before! I thought I'd gotten a prize for my 1000th visit or something!

Costa and Andreas

Costa and Andreas said:

Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

So Fly opens tomorrow

Thanks!

Lol I came in the other day to 2818 and ordered a double and noticed it was massive compared to before! I thought I'd gotten a prize for my 1000th visit or something!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.