BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

666,113 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Site plans submitted last week for a new rehabilitation center off Emerald Parkway

More details

Quote:

The College Station city council approves rezoning to build a new skilled nursing and assisted living center.

No construction timetable was announced for the 52,000 thousand square foot facility with 130 beds just east of the freeway at Corsair and Emerald Parkway.

The rezoning was necessary because the maximum size of the facility under the previous zoning was 15,000 square feet.
Costa and Andreas
If something is making $ and worthwhile, we would never close it.

Cafe Eccell was open for 30 years. Yes, Covid caused the closure/pivot sadly. We would never arbitrarily just pivot a concept for no good reason.

The Public and Main deal is a real estate deal for us, not a restaurant deal. I can see why people would judge it differently without the proper context. Suffice to say, we are very happy with our global position with our various concepts going forward.
scd88
AG
What Costa is saying is...

LUBY'S IS COMING BACK!!!
Costa and Andreas
Lol. The Pappas' are smart enough to retire that as well. Everything has a lifespan.
TyHolden
AG
scd88 said:

What Costa is saying is...

LUBY'S IS COMING BACK!!!
scd88
AG
Move your shop to the Red Lobster location on University...

(Man says without any context of why the Red Lobster space is still vacant...)
scd88
AG
And also let's start the rumor that Pappas is going to put one of their restaurants in the Public & Main location....
Costa and Andreas
Yeah we are out of that business for good and I'm certainly not going to move from where I own the real estate to paying a big lease. That wouldn't make much sense.
scd88
AG
Haha. I do appreciate the transparency you're providing here. Best wishes moving forward.
PS3D
I would love to see Luby's come back unironically but I'm not sure if the current management is up for any expansion. (Do you know what the next owners' plans are for the building?)

Btw, what is the status of the next Burger Mojo? Is it near Frost Bank, or actually inside the Briarcrest tower?
Costa and Andreas
Yes Mojo 3 will share a party wall with Frost. Plans have been at the City of Bryan for a couple months now, hopefully they will expedite soon.

SoFly will go in CS and will be a free standing drive thru with extended hours.

8 craft chicken sandwiches
5 craft chicken tacos
4-5 craft tenders
About 10 signature sauces
Several sides from tangy Thai slaw to homemade greens
about 4-5 loaded craft fry/tot entrees
Costa and Andreas
scd88 said:

Haha. I do appreciate the transparency you're providing here. Best wishes moving forward.

Thank you so much! We love the trajectory we are on and are excited and happier than ever.
979ag
AG
you're gonna need some arts to go with all those crafts
Costa and Andreas
Haha noted
PS3D
Costa and Andreas said:

Yes Mojo 3 will share a party wall with Frost. Plans have been at the City of Bryan for a couple months now, hopefully they will expedite soon.

5 craft chicken tacos
4-5 craft tenders
Former Boomtown BBQ, maybe? That's the only empty drive-through in CS I can think of at think of at the moment...

Thanks for the quick response, I know I met either Costa or Andreas in person when I was working pizza delivery in the Southwest Parkway area a year or two ago. (I don't deliver pizza anymore.)
Captn_Ag05
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

5 craft chicken tacos
4-5 craft tenders
Great menu. Just missing a strawberry tart
Costa and Andreas
I think you met me, Costa.
Costa and Andreas
Captn_Ag05 said:

Costa and Andreas said:

5 craft chicken tacos
4-5 craft tenders
Great menu. Just missing a strawberry tart

The tart may very well reappear in another concept down the road. It may very well be reimagined in a very big way. For now, we are on a tart hiatus as the production is daunting and costly.
jeffk
AG
Which is nuts compared to how fast my family could make them disappear.
chickencoupe16
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Yeah we are out of that business for good...

I'm reading this as out of the casual dining/table service business and having taken my wife on one of our first dates to Eccel in the old location and then again many times throughout our 8 years, this is sad news. We are big fans of Burger Mojo and always found ourselves ordering the So Fly options at P&M, so you'll definitely still be getting our business, but we'll always miss Eccel and the bread pudding.

ForteAg12
AG
Are the cinnamon rolls going away or will those transition to another location?
Costa and Andreas
chickencoupe16 said:

Costa and Andreas said:

Yeah we are out of that business for good...

I'm reading this as out of the casual dining/table service business and having taken my wife on one of our first dates to Eccel in the old location and then again many times throughout our 8 years, this is sad news. We are big fans of Burger Mojo and always found ourselves ordering the So Fly options at P&M, so you'll definitely still be getting our business, but we'll always miss Eccel and the bread pudding.

Thank you. Yes I currently don't see a scenario that we would re enter full service in any capacity. I do see however another iteration of Eccell like an "Eccell Express" scenario with counter service accompanied by a lower price point than before. There is no urgency for such an undertaking though, given the current design of our company. As a consequence of our current strategy we are happier and more nimble, so there's no incentive to alter the current approach at all.
Costa and Andreas
ForteAg12 said:

Are the cinnamon rolls going away or will those transition to another location?
No, in fact we are going to more aggressively pursue the CinnaBoss sub brand. The Bryan mojo along with SoFly will have full CinnaBoss production capabilities on site. So, going forward, we will be able to commissary our needs from there as opposed to/from the Public and Main facility as we are now.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Great to hear! I love the cinnamon rolls. When I head out of town, I pick up a Snuff the Rooster and a cinnamon roll for the road.
Costa and Andreas
Nice! Well if you eat the Snuff, you're going to love the upcoming iteration of SoFly. The sandwich variety, quality and value will be next level vs mojo as Burger Mojo is still primarily burgers whereas SoFly will laser focus on chicken sandwiches…..
bobinator
AG
This is all tremendous news. I absolutely love burger mojo and the sofly sandwich.
TheOC16
AG
Gotta' stop checking this thread at lunch time (trying to shed a few pounds).
PS3D
So is SoFly lined up to replace Boomtown, or is it going to be in the old Bush's Chicken/Pie in the Sky near Tower Point?
Costa and Andreas
PS3D said:

So is SoFly lined up to replace Boomtown, or is it going to be in the old Bush's Chicken/Pie in the Sky near Tower Point?

Thanks for the interest. That deal is in the queue but hasn't quite closed yet. We should be able to disclose in about a month or so.
nought
AG
Great American Cookies / Marble Slab in Caprock Crossing appears to be closed. Don't know if it is temporary or permanent. It was closed at some point last week and is closed still today. There isn't a sign in the window with an explanation.
Bad Poster
PS3D said:

Hopefully neither. They both closed because they were too hard to get to
Rapier108
nought said:

Great American Cookies / Marble Slab in Caprock Crossing appears to be closed. Don't know if it is temporary or permanent. It was closed at some point last week and is closed still today. There isn't a sign in the window with an explanation.
If you read online reviews, seems like this has been going on for a while.

Based on those reviews, I wonder if they're not able to get enough employees to be open.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
AggiePhil
AG
Bad Poster said:

PS3D said:

Hopefully neither. They both closed because they were too hard to get to

I disagree. Bush's had major consistency issues and Boomtown sucked.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Stopped by over a month ago and there was a sign on the door saying hey were closed due to lack of staff.
bushytailed
AG
Quote:

Former Boomtown BBQ, maybe? That's the only empty drive-through in CS I can think of at think of at the moment...

Thanks for the quick response, I know I met either Costa or Andreas in person when I was working pizza delivery in the Southwest Parkway area a year or two ago. (I don't deliver pizza anymore.)

The former Taco Bar location at Wellborn/SWP is vacant and has a drive-thru; however, 1) it wouldn't make sense to open a new chicken place next to Laynes and 2) I'm really hoping Jesse takes my suggestion of a CS location to heart.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.