BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

666,224 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BetsyParker said:

maroon barchetta said:

Three Twenties and A Ten said:

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Haven't seen it mentioned previously but hearing rumors of the newish "flexible-format Target" model, being planned for the current FedEx space being vacated @ University/Stasney St. They have one on-campus at t.u. --- nice (and smart) concept for the retailer.

New Target store on track for UT campus - Curbed Austin
Oldham Gooodwin just listed the FedEx location today (509 University)

https://oldhamgoodwin.com/properties/509-university-drive/

Important to note it's being marketed as a ground lease "High Density Student Housing Site" so if Oldham Goodwin's vision for it happens we're looking at another student apartment tower fronting University.

Hopefully not. Don't see how that area can handle anymore students without some decent retail to serve them. University Dr. btwn Texas and Wellborn is becoming almost as bad traffic-wise as any street in Houston or other metro.

The fact there is so little retail (grocery, basic household items, clothing, etc) in the area to keep students living on north campus or the other student housing in the area from having to leave, is creating major traffic/pedestrian issues. Can't believe Culpepper hasn't leased out their parking lot in front of Hurricane Harry's to some small grocer or retailer. Probably some of the most valuable real estate in town and completely wasted.

If only there were a grocery store there near Harry's. That would be helpful. I wish someone had done that at some point in the past.
And it could change names as the chain slowly dies. What was the last name of that store…Jewel Osco?

I just remember Skaggs Alpha Beta
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
maroon barchetta said:

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Haven't seen it mentioned previously but hearing rumors of the newish "flexible-format Target" model, being planned for the current FedEx space being vacated @ University/Stasney St. They have one on-campus at t.u. --- nice (and smart) concept for the retailer.

Important to note it's being marketed as a ground lease "High Density Student Housing Site" so if Oldham Goodwin's vision for it happens we're looking at another student apartment tower fronting University.

Hopefully not. Don't see how that area can handle anymore students without some decent retail to serve them. University Dr. btwn Texas and Wellborn is becoming almost as bad traffic-wise as any street in Houston or other metro.

The fact there is so little retail (grocery, basic household items, clothing, etc) in the area to keep students living on north campus or the other student housing in the area from having to leave, is creating major traffic/pedestrian issues. Can't believe Culpepper hasn't leased out their parking lot in front of Hurricane Harry's to some small grocer or retailer. Probably some of the most valuable real estate in town and completely wasted.

If only there were a grocery store there near Harry's. That would be helpful. I wish someone had done that at some point in the past.

Is that what used to be there? Hard to imagine with the way it looks now.

I don't think a grocer alone would cut it. Really, a Target with some grocery selection is optimal. It seems like the CS Target is 75% students any time I venture in. Hard to believe a mini-version close to campus wouldn't do well.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Wasn't it Skaggs Albertsons before Alpha Beta?
maroon barchetta
MsDoubleD81 said:

I don't know about all that.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Was the last iteration of it an Apple Tree?
PS3D
BetsyParker said:

maroon barchetta said:

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

And it could change names as the chain slowly dies. What was the last name of that store…Jewel Osco?
It didn't die. The original name was Skaggs Albertsons because it was a collaboration between Skaggs Drug Centers and Albertsons, bringing Albertsons' food expertise and Skaggs' drug stores into supercenters. Then the partnership broke up and it became Skaggs Alpha Beta in the late 1970s. In 1991, Skaggs Drug Centers (now American Stores) changed the name to Jewel-Osco during a rebranding cycle, as Jewel-Osco was their most successful brand in Chicago and were growing stores in Florida, and they had been forced to divest Alpha Beta.

In 1992, they sold the Florida and Texas stores to Albertsons, but then in 1997 Albertsons closed it because they bought the Randalls store down the street. Albertsons had intended to reopen the Northgate store in the early 2000s, and got so far as to make renderings and give it a store number, but by that time, overexpansion of the brand had caused some serious financial issues.

The two College Station stores were successful enough to continue past the closure of the Houston stores (until they were sold off) and a third store in Bryan even opened up for a few years.
Counterpoint
AG
Anyone remember the SASABJOA acronym?
dilliam
A ground-floor Target with 15-20 stories of housing would be ideal. Target / Trader Joes combo like this one on the lower east side in NYC would be epic... one can dream.

http://www.collaborativefund.com/uploads/banner.JPG
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

Was the last iteration of it an Apple Tree?
I think that was Safeway.
TXAGBQ76
AG
yes
RyanFromTexas
SandAG said:

RyanFromTexas said:

We have a partial date! Costco's new locations page is now showing a June opening.

https://www.costco.com/new-locations.html

Update: New target date is August 4th.
Where did you find that date?
mason12
AG
The car wash next to sonic at Wellborn and Rock Prairie is in the process of being torn down right now! I hadn't heard anything about it previously.
Broncos
mason12 said:

The car wash next to sonic at Wellborn and Rock Prairie is in the process of being torn down right now! I hadn't heard anything about it previously.
There's an entire thread about it and if it was worth flipping.
Tailgate88
AG
Flippin' Car Wash Thread
mason12
AG
Good call. I had read the thread before the update 6 days ago that said a fence had gone up.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3268995

Has anyone seen construction plans filed for the site?
maroon barchetta
mason12 said:

Good call. I had read the thread before the update 6 days ago that said a fence had gone up.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3268995

Has anyone seen construction plans filed for the site?

I don't know, but someone will suggest Buc-ee's
SandAG
RyanFromTexas said:

SandAG said:

RyanFromTexas said:

We have a partial date! Costco's new locations page is now showing a June opening.

https://www.costco.com/new-locations.html

Update: New target date is August 4th.
Where did you find that date?
I didn't find it, I was told. Let's just say I have a vested interest and leave it at that.
TyHolden
AG
What happened to Red Lobster?
555-PINF
MsDoubleD81 said:

Alpha Beta first, then Albertsons.

Safeway turned into Appletree, approximately where Specs currently resides in Culpepper Plaza.
TXAGBQ76
AG
First, they were behind six figures in rent
RL shut down a bunch of restaurants around the country
halibut sinclair
555-PINF said:

MsDoubleD81 said:

Alpha Beta first, then Albertsons.

Safeway turned into Appletree, approximately where Specs currently resides in Culpepper Plaza.
Skaggs Albertson's
Skaggs Alpha Beta
Albertson's

There were other Safeway/Appletree stores in Bryan - by Bryan High where Aldi is now and at the corner of 21 and Texas.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG

AG

Too small for a Buc-ee's.

Pappadeaux, however…
maroon barchetta
techno-ag
AG
HEB has just dominated the grocery business in Texas.
AG81
AG
Broncos said:

mason12 said:

There's an entire thread about it and if it was worth flipping.
No, it was a thread about where else to get your car wash, nothing about why it's being torn down, what's going in there, etc.
AggiePhil
AG
techno-ag said:

HEB has just dominated the grocery business in Texas.
That happened a looooong time ago.
CWIsom
Both I Heart Mac & Cheese Locations have closed 3/1
techno-ag
AG
CWIsom said:

Another Covid business casualty?
FlyRod
Art of War bar in downtown Bryan closed. Tax related not covid related.
chickencoupe16
AG
techno-ag said:

CWIsom said:

From my experience, they are a casualty of their product. It's sad for any business to have to close but I am shocked they made it this far.
trouble
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

techno-ag said:

CWIsom said:

From my experience, they are a casualty of their product. It's sad for any business to have to close but I am shocked they made it this far.

Same. And trying to open 2 locations at basically the same time is real hard
EBrazosAg
AG
Agreed. Two locations of a marginal product not a recipe for success. Covid makes it even harder.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
And both in expensive locations

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.