*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,948 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, this isn't really good from a Spurs perspective, even if it feels good right now. If you were holding out hope for a reconciliation, the airing of dirt laundry and accusations like this hurts what was already a slim hope. If you are holding out hope for a good return of assets in trade, making Kawhi look worse and adding further mystery/concern about his physical condition lowers his trade value.

I think the Spurs are too smart, too forward-thinking to wage a proxy war in the media.
Guitarsoup
AG
evan_aggie said:

Not sure whether I should like what is happening or not.

Are the Spurs going scorched earth and helping stories spread that lowers his value? If true, that would hurt their chances of trading (as I said before). Or is the Kawhi camp so hilarious stupid, that they are shooting themselves in the foot in the way this is all handled.

I really thought Kawhi was of the Duncan sort: head down, work, achieve, and stay out of the media. Guess I was wrong.

On one side we have two of the sharpest, most stable, and most decorated people in basketball history

On the other side, we have a guy's Uncle from LA.

Wonder who is right
Ag Natural
AG
I don't think you can fault the Spurs for accommodating Kawhi. This is the NBA, superstars get to do what they want.
evan_aggie
AG
Is Kawhi that bright if he is falling behind his uncle?
texag06ish
AG
I believe this rhyme from the late, great Notorius BIG applies in this situation, "Your moms'll set that ass up, properly gassed up".

It seems like his uncle is steering the ship based on what he thinks is best for Kawhi (and/or himself) and Kawhi is just along for the ride.
DTP02
AG
texag06ish said:

I believe this rhyme from the late, great Notorius BIG applies in this situation, "Your moms'll set that ass up, properly gassed up".

It seems like his uncle is steering the ship based on what he thinks is best for Kawhi and Kawhi is just along for the ride.

Is the Uncle doing what's beest for Kawhi or best for his Uncle? If the injury was mostly pretext, then I think it's safe to say it's not about what's best for Kawhi.

But we don't know, it's all semi-informed speculation at best, because Kawhi is such a closed book and really about as much of an unknown as a top 5 player in the league can be.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
Between Uncle Nate and Uncle Dennis, I give the F up with uncles affecting my sports teams.
Sports-Ag
AG
Going back to the podcast another thing that I did not know was that Spurs let Kawhi and his group picked their own doctor on August 8, 2017. I knew he picked his doctor but not that early. Michael C Wright said kawhi and his group were asking for many second opinions before he picked his doctor.

What was striking was that after a week he picked his doctor Kawhi went to China for some NBA/Jordan endorsement thing. The Spurs security and PR tried to contact Kawhi and they could not get a hold of him during the trip. Michael Wright said some in the organization felt that was the turning point.

It's all in the podcast but if it started that far back the Spurs have been protecting Kawhi up until they couldn't no more in the media.
FTAG 2000
AG
evan_aggie said:

Are the Spurs going scorched earth and helping stories spread that lowers his value? If true, that would hurt their chances of trading (as I said before). Or is the Kawhi camp so hilarious stupid, that they are shooting themselves in the foot in the way this is all handled.

I really thought Kawhi was of the Duncan sort: head down, work, achieve, and stay out of the media. Guess I was wrong.

Given the stuff coming out now and the rumors other teams are not comfortable trading because of his uncle, this feels like a coordinated effort to put some distance between him and his group.

Hopefully it works. Best thing for them is if Pop can get some one on one time with Kawhi once practice starts. The fact that his uncle was still acting as a filter is BS.
Guitarsoup
AG
AG 2000' said:

evan_aggie said:

Given the stuff coming out now and the rumors other teams are not comfortable trading because of his uncle, this feels like a coordinated effort to put some distance between him and his group.

Hopefully it works. Best thing for them is if Pop can get some one on one time with Kawhi once practice starts. The fact that his uncle was still acting as a filter is BS.
He needs to put on his big boy underwear, fire his uncle, and hire a real agent.
West Texan
AG
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/7/6/17540192/san-antonio-spurs-michael-c-wright-podcast-kawhi-leonard

Nothing new, but a pretty good summary of all the Kawhi stuff that has come out recently.
Guitarsoup
AG

Indiana got Kyle OQuinn for the Room.

The Spurs possess the Room.
West Texan
AG
I really like O'Quinn for our 3rd big.
Guitarsoup
AG
OQuinn would start next to LMA.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Charlotte gave him 2y/10mm.
West Texan
AG
I fully expect Manu to retire too and just rip my heart completely out.
superunknown
AG
I'm a little shocked. I hope the Spurs aren't letting him go because of the Kawhi beef.
flashplayer
AG
That tells me Spurs think they might be able to keep Kawhi. Otherwise no reason to not give Tony a handshake contract during the rebuild.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Hornets new coach is the foreign guy from the Spurs.
Ag Natural
AG
I don't think losing Tony is a big deal in terms of on the court contributions. His lockerroom presence might be missed. Because of this, Manu needs to stay until the young guys are fully indoctrinated.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

I don't think losing Tony is a big deal in terms of on the court contributions.
Kind of a big deal when we don't have a real point guard on the roster.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Kawhi back to the Spurs confirmed.
BlackLab
AG
Dang-The fans Never gave him an appropriate goodbye.
flashplayer
AG
So who the hell handles the ball next year? Lamarcus and Rudy? They better be bringing back slo-mo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
flashplayer said:

So who the hell handles the ball next year? Lamarcus and Rudy? They better be bringing back slo-mo.
Gasol.
flashplayer
AG
BlackLab said:

Dang-The fans Never gave him an appropriate goodbye.

Wait until the Charlotte game in San Antonio. He will be well received.
Enzo The Baker
AG
flashplayer said:

Even with Parker, it was never going to be Parker.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Well the Warriors and Cavs didn't have "real PGs" either and both made the finals. I'm okay having Murray start with White, Beli, and Manu handling as well.
Guitarsoup
AG
Last year:

Dejonte Murray: 4.8 assists per 36
Pau Gasol: 4.7 assists per 36
Manu Ginobili: 4.5 assists per 36
Patty Mills: 3.9 assists per 36
Derrick White: G league
SloMo: 3.8 assists per 36
Lonnie: NCAA
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
flashplayer
AG
Since when is Steph Curry not one of the best dribblers / ball handlers in the league?
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Well the Warriors and Cavs didn't have "real PGs" either and both made the finals. I'm okay having Murray start with White, Beli, and Manu handling as well.
Last year the Warriors had 7 different players that averaged as good or better than 4.5 assists per 36 minutes, minimum 800 minutes played.

The Spurs have Murray, Gasol, and Manu (other than Parker.)
Ulrich
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

My eyeballs are telling me that you just equated our point guard situation with the Warrior's Curry/Livingston lineup, but surely I'm misreading that somehow?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.