*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,993 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Nothing even close to reasonable has been offered.
I'm not convinced anything will. Not until Kawhi expands his list anyways.
TyHolden
AG
Trade kawhi to Sacramento for their next 5 first round picks and be done with it. Welcome back to Cali mofo.
Guitarsoup
AG
DSAg44 said:

Trade kawhi to Sacramento for their next 5 first round picks and be done with it. Welcome back to Cali mofo.

Kawhi for Cauley-Stein, Justin Jackson, Bogdan and the right to swap first round pick every other year for a decade.
Guitarsoup
AG
The TL;DR from that Wright podcast:

• At the All Star game in NO a few years ago Kawhi and his group are at a hotel and the Spurs security tells them what time they need to get them out to get them to the game on time. Uncle Dennis says "no we're not doing this, this is when we're going to leave". They decide to leave when Uncle Dennis says and they end up stuck in traffic a block away from the hotel. The police end up letting them through but it would take them an hour and a half to get to the arena. They ended up having Kawhi get out, put a hood over his head, and walk to the Arena from the hotel.

• Uncle Dennis thinks the Spurs are too controlling but he doesn't have any experience representing any other players from any other teams.

• Spurs gave Kawhi and his camp complete control of his "rehab" starting August 8th. The rehab was controlled by his own doctors although Wright does not know if he really did shop around for a bunch of doctors or not. Spurs had absolutely no say in his rehab process at all which is why Pop would refer reporters to Kawhi's group when asked questions about his status.

• Wright thinks the Spurs were too accommodating to Kawhi and his group which is why all of this has happened. Says Kawhi realized he was a star in the league and wanted to be treated as such. In the words of Wright "Spurs gave him an inch and Kawhi took a mile".

• If Spurs offer supermax he thinks he would re-sign (because $$$ talks) but at this point the Spurs probably don't trust the people around Leonard enough to offer up that amount of money (would be 30% of their Cap). (This leads me to believe that the rumors about the Spurs not offering the supermax are true.)

• The Spurs have told Wright that they want to get Kawhi in a room ALONE. No Dennis, no one else speaking for him. Just Kawhi.

• The Spurs would get a call from Uncle Dennis saying "Kawhi wants this and that" but the Spurs would never know if it was really Kawhi's wishes or his Uncles.

• The Spurs don't believe that his Uncle has his best interest at heart but know that his Uncle means a lot to him due to the fact that he was there for him after his father was murdered.

• Wright did not write the story about Parkers comments because he knew exactly that it would be taken out of context as soon as he said it. He says the reports about Kawhi being betrayed by Tony's comments are excuses coming from his Uncle.

• The reason Kawhis teammates were frustrated and called a team meeting was because Kawhi's group kept throwing out return dates which would come and go. Eventually the team got fed up and confronted him about all the pump faking. Manu's comments a week or so before the team meeting seems to confirm that the team knew they were getting hit with the Okie Doke by Kawhi's group.

• Kawhi told them he would be back for the game against NO on March 19th which was picture day. Kawhi showed up for pictures but as soon as they started pre game shoot around he left. That night after the game they had the team meeting and two days later Kawhi left for NY and never came back to the team.

• Up to the point before the trade request in June Wright talked to multiple people in the organisation who were confident they could get Pop to sit down with Kawhi and iron everything out. The death of Pop's wife complicated things and it took a while for him to get the meeting with Kawhi. Kawhi didn't want to meet with Pop and did everything he would to avoid the meeting. At that point the trade request news came out.

• Kawhi's side feels like Spurs are leaking info that makes him look bad. Wright thinks those are excuses and that he just doesn't want to play in San Antonio. He doesn't see a good ending for either side here.

• Wright says people think he's exaggerating about Uncle Dennis but some of the things that he requests/demands are unrealistic. According to him some of the stories are hard to believe and he laughs when he thinks about them. (I should note that Jeff McDonald, another Spurs beat writer has compared Uncle Dennis to Lavar Ball).

• Kawhi doesn't want to go to the Lakers. His preferred destination is the Clippers but the Clippers have absolutely no assets that the Spurs want. He expects a dark horse team to come in and nab Kawhi in a trade.

• He does not see Kawhi handling the LA media scene very well. Says he was well protected from the media in San Antonio and doesn't think he is ready for an environment like that.
West Texan
AG
West Texan said:

Random thoughts I'm having today:

-Who the hell is in Kawhi's "group"? I have a hard time believing they have Kawhi's best interest as their main priority and not what will also benefit the "group" the most. The Spurs were a 60 win team in the Western Conference Finals with Kawhi, and would always be willing to try and add pieces around him to put him and the team in position to win. They've also always been an organization that takes great care of keeping players healthy, so I have a really hard time believing that the Spurs medical staff would clear him when he's not ready to go.

-How much has this fiasco cost the Spurs in potential trades? Kawhi is still under contract, so it's not like we have to get rid of him asap or get nothing in return, but at the same time we can't let a guy of his caliber go for peanuts. Are teams willing to give up bigger pieces/picks for a guy that's turned into a head case?

I posted this back in April, but basically everything that I've suspected (and pretty much most people on this thread) is coming to light. Always separate business and family, because you have to leave the emotional side out of it.
TyHolden
AG
Detroit it is then
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The TL;DR from that Wright podcast:

Very interesting info.
Pendragon12
AG
I know this is likely slanted towards the Spurs, but if even half of that is true, then damn. A lot of us had Kawhi all wrong.
duck79
AG
I'm surprised CIA Pop hasnt paid Uncle Dennis a visit for a private "meeting".
West Texan
AG
Pendragon12 said:

I know this is likely slanted towards the Spurs, but if even half of that is true, then damn. A lot of us had Kawhi all wrong.

It's refreshing to get someone that will put the other side of the story out there. Between Jabari and everyone at ESPN that only cared about a superstar going to the lakers, someone is finally asking why this is happening to a franchise that has so little drama like the Spurs.
Guitarsoup
AG
Pendragon12 said:

It is all from an ESPN guy. Mike Wright.
evan_aggie
AG
Ag Natural said:

The Spurs position hasn't weakened. If anything, they've proven they won't make a dumb trade. Nothing even close to reasonable has been offered.

And be left with what? Absolutely this hurts their trade value/potential.
Guitarsoup
AG
flashplayer
AG
evan_aggie said:

Ag Natural said:

The Spurs position hasn't weakened. If anything, they've proven they won't make a dumb trade. Nothing even close to reasonable has been offered.

And be left with what? Absolutely this hurts their trade value/potential.

Not sure you've been watching, but Kawhis trade value is already negative assets. Luol Deng and late 20s picks. That would hamstring any rebuilding effort by at least 2 years versus just tanking now. So no damn point in taking a pile o crap.

If Kawhi can ball out through Christmas, both sides can win.
Guitarsoup
AG
That's just Magic being Magic. He refused to give any assets away to get Paul George because he could just get him this year and look how that turned out, too.
Ulrich
Maybe Kawhi will wise up and let a pro advise him going forward. This is ridiculous and I'm tired of thinking about it.

It really surprises me to hear that LAC doesn't have anything San Antonio wants. They have an eastern European center, we love those! Most of their assets only have a year left though.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Ulrich said:

It really surprises me to hear that LAC doesn't have anything San Antonio wants. They have an eastern European center, we love those! Most of their assets only have a year left though.

Yeah I'm kinda surprised they wouldnt be interested in SGA or Tobias Harris. After that I'm not sure there is much I want aside from future picks but if the reports are true about what SA was wanting from the Lakers, then it's probably more of a case of the Clippers just not having enough assets the spurs want
Guitarsoup
AG
Tobias is a FA, which is great for flexibility, but who do we actually look like we will sign next year?

I like SGA and Tobias, but neither is exciting and neither is a franchise centerpiece.

Both could be really good role players if we had two all-stars in place.
Ulrich
White does NOT look like a primary ball handler to me. He does great with an advantage, but he has a tough time when the defender is squared up and he is vulnerable to traps even at this level. That's fixable, he's just not there yet. Sort of reminds me of Murray in summer league two years ago: good enough to have a ton of great plays, but not in control every second like an NBA point guard would be. He currently looks like a second unit SG and still has upside at both guard spots.

Metu's main problem defensively is knowing when to rotate on help defense. He often looks to the right place at the right time, but he's either trying to bait guards into driving so that he can surprise them for the block or is simply willing to let them score as long as his man doesn't. If it's the first he hasn't caught on to the speed of NBA athletes. Either way he needs to rotate when he first sees the play start to develop instead of playing selfish defense. He also seems like a bit of a hot head. That said, he has decent timing for the actual shot block and his jumper, handles, and agility are all very advanced for a summer league big.

Blossomgame looks like a solid G league player. I don't see a standout skill that will get him playing time in San Antonio.

Walker did a lot fewer dumb things tonight. The main one is that he's still trying some And1 BS dribbling that usually ends in a turnover just like it did for Murray until he cut it out. His handles aren't tight enough for that and no one is afraid of getting burned if they reach. Had a nice fast break dunk, although the guard who lobbed it to him probably made the best play of the sequence saving Walker's errant pass. Still a long way to go, but you can see the potential. Plenty of athleticism and effort.
Guitarsoup
AG
No one on the roster looks like an NBA Point Guard.
Ulrich
Guitarsoup said:

Tobias is a FA, which is great for flexibility, but who do we actually look like we will sign next year?

I like SGA and Tobias, but neither is exciting and neither is a franchise centerpiece.

Apparently the spurs THINK they know something about basketball that I don't, because I think SGA will end up somewhere between franchise centerpiece and "would be the best all around player on most of the bad teams in the league". He's a point guard who can shoot and defend three positions.

As a fan, maybe I'm talking myself into that because/and I'm too willing to settle just to get the circus over with.
Ulrich
Guitarsoup said:

No one on the roster looks like an NBA Point Guard.

This has been true for far too long outside of a few games in the 2017 playoffs. Hopefully the Murray bet pays off this year. If it doesn't we need to ditch about three guards because throwing lots of shooting guards at the problem doesn't seem to be fixing it. (Shocking!)
superunknown
AG
I dont remember which site this guy used to write for (48MoH i think) but he's had some inside stuff before. He threw this out there and because of all that's come out i dont know if he's just screwing around or if he's being truthful.

Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich said:

Guitarsoup said:

Apparently the spurs THINK they know something about basketball that I don't, because I think SGA will end up somewhere between franchise centerpiece and "would be the best all around player on most of the bad teams in the league". He's a point guard who can shoot and defend three positions.

As a fan, maybe I'm talking myself into that because/and I'm too willing to settle just to get the circus over with.
I thought Randy Foye and Javaris Crittenton would be like that, too. \_()_/
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

Guitarsoup said:

I think the Spurs aren't ready to give up on Dejounte after one season, where he made an all defensive team. If he can find a serviceable jumper, he can be a really solid player. Tony and Kawhi both had awful jumpers that developed and becoming MVP candidates (not saying Murray will ever be an MVP candidate, just saying he can develop with Chip's help).

As far as SGA goes, as fans we're all guilty of falling in love with particular prospects. Hell, the Hawks organization thought Trae Young was worth #5 overall and I wouldn't have picked him in the top 20. SGA has his upside and his flaws, maybe the Spurs don't think much of him, or maybe they do but don't like the rest of the clips package. Who knows?
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ulrich said:

Guitarsoup said:

I thought Randy Foye and Javaris Crittenton would be like that, too. \_()_/

I thought Derrick Williams was gonna be the next Amar'e Stoudemire.
Ulrich
I'm not sure a jump shot is going to turn him into a point guard. Last year he seemed restricted to rudimentary two-man stuff which is why the offense looked like hot garbage when he was running point. Still, this will be year three, which is when the jump should take place if it's going to.
Enzo The Baker
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Bk3htWkjWJ_
LouisHerbertWong
AG
Well said, Beadle: http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs

Kawhi, every Spurs fan misjudged you from the get-go. You're weak. And F*** YOU, Uncle Dennis!!!
Enzo The Baker
AG
That was great. Nice to have someone in the national media on our side.
Pendragon12
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Kawhi, every Spurs fan misjudged you from the get-go. You're weak. And F*** YOU, Uncle Dennis!!!

That was perfect. I love Beadle.
Sports-Ag
AG
After hearing the podcast I'm glad someone from the National media is saying that it's Kawhi and his team that is doing all of this mess not Spurs. I like Michael C Wright. Feel like he always puts a positive sense when talking about the Spurs. The hosts of the podcast seemed so surprise that it's Kawhi's group that is handling things wrong.

One thing I learned was that Parkers words were taking out of context. Michael asked one of the Spurs staff what do you think of what Parker said and the guy said Tony is taking heat about the injury comments. Michael told him no and go on YouTube to see the video. I added the link below. Tony was saying to Kawhi to stay positive that his injury was worse and he came back. The sports shows completely took it out of context and I never knew that.

Another thing that sucked was that Kawhi was given the team the runaround. Saying he will return in this game several times and then does not. That makes sense why Parker, Manu and Pop acted the way they did in the media and they had every right to.

Like Michael said, the Spurs accomadated to Kawhi. The Spurs gave him an inch and he took an mile. A pretty good podcast that really makes Kawhi and his group look bad. Take a listen if you have the time.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Brousasaes says that a source close to Leonard calls the hiding story BS. Right.

I just want this crap to end.
Obi Wan Ginobili
AustinAg2012 said:

Watching her shred Kawhi into pieces gave me the happy pants.
evan_aggie
AG
Not sure whether I should like what is happening or not.

Are the Spurs going scorched earth and helping stories spread that lowers his value? If true, that would hurt their chances of trading (as I said before). Or is the Kawhi camp so hilarious stupid, that they are shooting themselves in the foot in the way this is all handled.

I really thought Kawhi was of the Duncan sort: head down, work, achieve, and stay out of the media. Guess I was wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.