*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,979 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LawHall88 said:

flashplayer said:

Spurs are supposedly wanting Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, Randle. Does that also shed us Patty's terrible contract and nab a first rounder?

If so, I'm in. Ingram seems like a guy Pop can build into Kawhi part 2.

Hell, after that trade, maybe Lebron does go to SA after all.
Something would need to be done to cull the backcourt if that trade happens. If Mills stays, you got Murray, Green, Walker, Parker, Hart, White, Mills, Forbes, and Manu playing the guard spots. Forbes seems an obvious departure, and after that one or two out of Manu, Parker, Mills, and maybe White depending on how the Spurs value him.
One of the trades i saw on twitter had Mills going back the other way to LAL, i think that would have included a sign and trade for Randle, so it was to make salaries match i guess?
flashplayer
AG
If the Spurs are rebuilding, Mills won't be a part of that. This would allow them more cap room to add free agents the next several years.

Forbes is not valuable beyond a spot duty guy, and that much is obvious at this point, so he's gone.

Without those 2, the backcourt isn't that crowded anymore.
Guitarsoup
AG
While I would love to dump Mills' contract, I see the Lakers having a tough time doing that without sending us Deng, who is much more worthless than Patty and gets paid the same amount, but over two years instead of three.

We are weak at point. Murray is a great defender, but isn't really great at running an offense yet. Patty can at least give us 20 decent minutes a game. That's more than you can say about Deng.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think it is all a game of chicken right now. Lakers want to give as little as possible (Kuzma, Ingram, Deng) and Spurs know that the Lakers can't get Bron+George without landing Kawhi.

If the Spurs hold on to Kawhi, Lakers lose out on the other two stars and I bet Pop nad RC know that if Bron and George don't go to LA, Kawhi isn't really going to force his way there to play with Lonzo and a bunch of teenagers.

FTAG 2000
AG
There's reports out today that James has reached out to others about going to LA. If I'm the Spurs that tells me to wait this out and that I have leverage.

Also suspect the Spurs ask of La leaking is to get Philly or Boston to up their offer.
Pendragon12
AG
Rumors on Spurs reddit that Pop and RC now have a rift between them, enough so that RC is leaving to Philly..

Why must we be the drama-filled NBA franchise right now? This is dumb.
Guitarsoup
AG
This video is pretty great. Sorry to link to Lakers sub. Close the tab as quick as possible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/8ufo2m/our_offseason_thus_far/
AG
Definitely a game of chicken. whoever leaked LBJ wasnt going to make a decision until he knew who was going to LA swung the leverage pendulum back to towards SA. Magic did himself no favors by all but guaranteeing that they would land one of the big FAs. Pressure is on them to make it happen otherwise they run the risk of missing out on everyone. its not just a matter of missing out on Kawhi for 1 season. the affects the rest of the dominoes too. LA might be forced to pony up a helluva lot more than they initially thought they would.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

This video is pretty great. Sorry to link to Lakers sub. Close the tab as quick as possible.

DTP02
AG

Quote:

Spurs know that the Lakers can't get Bron+George without landing Kawhi.

I'm not sure that follows.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG

Well here we go....
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think they want to be a super star, and all-star and a group of teenagers. Lonzo and Ingram were born after Duncan was drafted. Don't think that team beats GSW and maybe doesn't beat Houston. They need Kawhi to make it a super team.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG

West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I don't think they want to be a super star, and all-star and a group of teenagers. Lonzo and Ingram were born after Duncan was drafted. Don't think that team beats GSW and maybe doesn't beat Houston. They need Kawhi to make it a super team.

I have nothing to base this on except it would be what I would do, but perhaps Lebron said that he doesn't wanna deal with the Ball family and to ship off Lonzo if they want a shot.
Sports-Ag
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Haha, please let this happen.
Sports-Ag
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Woj tweets and updates have just been crazy and out there. I don't know if it's the pressure of being ESPN NBA lead guy or what. Feel like the 2 tweets he did 5 minutes apart contradicts itself.
West Texan
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Nice hedge there Woj...
aggieactor01
AG
Pendragon12 said:

Rumors on Spurs reddit that Pop and RC now have a rift between them, enough so that RC is leaving to Philly..

I'm not sure I would buy into that. I suppose anything is possible but RC and Pop have re-imagined the Spurs several times together quite successfully. I'm sure that didn't come without disagreement and 'rifts'. I think the scale of the Kawhi drama is probably making someone jump to conclusions.
AG
If the Lakers believe they can get all 3, their egos are going to force them to try and make it happen. you you dont typically walk in with the assets to get a Ferrari and walk away with a Cadillac instead. which means they will back up the brinks truck to get KL to LA first. hell, they will have to part with most of their assets anyway just to make the math work.
Guitarsoup
AG
Woj reading my Texags posts confirmed.

Spurs are dealing from a position of strength now and that is why they are getting Boston involved.

Tatum+Rozier+Sac's #1 please.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Spurs are dealing from a position of strength now and that is why they are getting Boston involved.

Wouldn't surprise me if they include Kyrie. But Tatum has to be the centerpiece of a Boston trade.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Sports-Ag
AG
Ageee. Would want Tatum in the deal. Do not want any business with the Lakers.
Pendragon12
AG
AG 2000' said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they include Kyrie. But Tatum has to be the centerpiece of a Boston trade.

No way Tatum is unless Kawhi commits to the Celtics long term. We'll be lucky if Brown is the centerpiece.
DTP02
AG
Guitarsoup said:

That would be the best deal we could get IMO, but I don't think Tatum gets included in any Celtics offer. I do think they'd be willing to offer Brown + Rozier + the pick, however, and that still might be the best deal we could get in terms of trying to build towards being a contender again. I don't think anything the Lakers can offer will get us back into contention. Playoff team, sure, but not a future contender.
Sports-Ag
AG
aggieactor01 said:

Pendragon12 said:

I'm not sure I would buy into that. I suppose anything is possible but RC and Pop have re-imagined the Spurs several times together quite successfully. I'm sure that didn't come without disagreement and 'rifts'. I think the scale of the Kawhi drama is probably making someone jump to conclusions.

Spot on aggieactor01.
Pendragon12
AG
Sports-Ag said:

I've come around slightly. A redditor put it best to me the other day. 10/10 deal from LA > 6/10 from East > 7/10 deal from LA.

Basically, if you feel like your potential outcomes are equally positive, or only slightly more positive by dealing to LA, obviously go east. But if LA's offer is just too good (Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, an unprotected first or multiple firsts), I think you need to take it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kyrie doesn't seem like Pop's kind of cat, but he is a stud.

No way they send Kyrie+Tatum.

Tatum+Rozier+picks makes for them because it is their backup PG and Tatum would be backup to Gordon/Kawhi anyway. They can also resign Marcus Smart to run the second team point.

I sure wouldn't mind seeing them include Robert Williams, too.

Hortford/Baynes
Marcus Morris/Yabusele
Kawhi/Jaylen
Gordon/Jaylen
Kyrie/Smart

That's a damn great team.

Robert Williams/Gasol
LMA/Gay?
Tatum/Walker
Green/Parker/Manu?
Rozier/Murray/Patty

FTAG 2000
AG
Pendragon12 said:

Sports-Ag said:

I've come around slightly. A redditor put it best to me the other day. 10/10 deal from LA > 6/10 from East > 7/10 deal from LA.

Basically, if you feel like your potential outcomes are equally positive, or only slightly more positive by dealing to LA, obviously go east. But if LA's offer is just too good (Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, an unprotected first or multiple firsts), I think you need to take it.

Who cares about Laker first round picks? If they get Kawhi and James, those picks are in the late twenties
Guitarsoup
AG
AG 2000' said:

Pendragon12 said:

Sports-Ag said:

Who cares about Laker first round picks? If they get Kawhi and James, those picks are in the late twenties
Which is why you make those pics later. Like unprotected 2022 or later when Bron is 38+.
DTP02
AG
Pendragon12 said:

Sports-Ag said:

The problem with the proposed LA deals is that you are only taking on role players or guys who might eventually develop into occasional all-stars, and the picks aren't going to be worth much because they'd have Kawhi and likely LeBron and George. They're going to be a top 3 team so their firsts aren't likely to help much.

With the Celtics, you have a higher celing guy in Tatum (who I don't think they'd trade) or Brown, plus a much more valuable pick. We have a better chance of getting a couple of future stars out of a Celtics trade than we do a Lakers trade.
West Texan
AG
A surprisingly rational thought from SpursTalk.

Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Stout
The media is freaking out because LeBron has given the Lakers a deadline.

Nothing for the Spurs has changed.

They are not in a hurry.

They are not afraid to let Kawhi walk in free agency in a year.

They are not going to trade for crap they don't want just for the sake of getting something.

They understand that they'll get 50 cents on the dollar at best.

They are not going to hand $219 million to a player, regardless of talent, who malingered and quit on his team for most of a season, unless they see a change in which he mans up and takes accountability for his behavior.

Because if he doesn't, you can't build a team around him anyway.

So they are fine with moving on.

But they are willing to keep the door open should he have a change of heart, up until someone offers a trade they like, or he leaves in free agency.
DTP02
AG
West Texan said:

A surprisingly rational thought from SpursTalk.

Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Stout
The media is freaking out because LeBron has given the Lakers a deadline.

Nothing for the Spurs has changed.

They are not in a hurry.

They are not afraid to let Kawhi walk in free agency in a year.

They are not going to trade for crap they don't want just for the sake of getting something.

They understand that they'll get 50 cents on the dollar at best.

They are not going to hand $219 million to a player, regardless of talent, who malingered and quit on his team for most of a season, unless they see a change in which he mans up and takes accountability for his behavior.

Because if he doesn't, you can't build a team around him anyway.

So they are fine with moving on.

But they are willing to keep the door open should he have a change of heart, up until someone offers a trade they like, or he leaves in free agency.

That is a surprisingly rational SpursTalk post. I haven't even visited that site in two+ years, but it reads like something one of the old owners (who stopped posting there) would say. Pretty good summation.
Good Poster
AG
Please stop with Tatum. He won't be included.
Guitarsoup
AG
Boston would be fools to not include a player that may one day be an all-star or even all-nba in exchange for a player that is the best defensive perimeter player in the league, and has finished top 3 in the MVP voting twice, assuming they get a long-term commitment and health checks out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.