*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,961 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really don't mind having Pau around as a backup that can play 15mpg fairly decently with the second team for short periods of time.

He's definitely going to be in the HOF. ROY, 6x All-Star, 4xAll-NBA, 2x NBA Champion as a starter and 2nd best player, 2x Spanish Champion and Spanish Finals MVP, 2x FIBA Euro POY, 2X Eurobasket MVP, FIBA World Cup MVP, 2x Olympic Silvers and a Bronze. Like Manu, Pau will be a 1st ballot HOF.
LawHall88
AG
azulAg said:

What if wehn we won the championship, kawhis uncle decided to enter his life . he started to fathom the idea that he is a potential superstar in the making and from that point knew he needed to be traded to another market. He seized the opprtunity when zaza injured him, then decided to ,manipulate kawhi away from the spurs team. it all makes perfect ****ing sense. it was his UNCLE
Kawhi's father was shot to death when Kawhi was 13. The uncle has essentially been the father figure in his life since then, and Kawhi is very loyal to him.

Whether the uncle is giving him good advice is one issue, but this isn't a situation where the guy just surfaced in the last couple years.
Pumpkinhead
AG
ESPN Hoop Collective Podcast

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=23806573

Not sure I had quite heard this info before. Windhorst says a couple of days ago that Woj put out a report that the Spurs told Kawhi that they were NOT going to offer him the supermax this summer. That they wanted to see Kawhi play out next season first and see how that went. And that Kawhi's camp then reacted by putting out the information to the media that Kawhi was demanding a trade.

They are assuming the Spurs and Leonard are done, just a question of how long it takes for things to play out.

Pendragon12
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

ESPN Hoop Collective Podcast

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=23806573

Not sure I had quite heard this info before. Windhorst says a couple of days ago that Woj put out a report that the Spurs told Kawhi that they were NOT going to offer him the supermax this summer. That they wanted to see Kawhi play out next season first and see how that went. And that Kawhi's camp then reacted by putting out the information to the media that Kawhi was demanding a trade.

They are assuming the Spurs and Leonard are done, just a question of how long it takes for things to play out.

This makes sense to me if this is what happened.

As much as I want Kawhi to stay, I can't say I'm not nervous about offering him a super max after him being out an entire year at 26/27 with what could be a chronic issue.
Ag Natural
AG
This makes the most logical sense. The Spurs want him to prove he's healthy. The leverage the Kawhi camp has is to threaten to walk next offseason. The reality is if the Spurs don't offer the Supermax now then Kawhi will have to requalify next season. That means he has to make an all nba team.
flashplayer
AG
I also think SA has the leverage with him. Here are the options he has if they don't offer the super max now:

1. Be a puss and sit out another year. Doubtful anyone offers a guy that was too soft to play with a sore quad a max deal after he's sat out two entire seasons.

2. Play out season and ball out, become eligible for super max next summer and:
A. Stay with Spurs on super max deal
B. Demand a sign & trade next summer when after an all - nba season, your value skyrockets and will attract more suitors and deals the Spurs might actually make.
C. Leave San Antonio without a S&T and forfeit the huge super max deal (tens of millions of dollars) to sign for the regular max elsewhere

3. Play out next season and fail to qualify for super max, and get the contract that is deserved afterwards by whichever team bids the highest.

#1 and 2C are the only options that hurt the spurs, but both of those moves also hurt Kawhi.

Did I miss another possibility?
Ag Natural
AG
Yeah it seems the smart play in any case is to force Kawhi to play. If he doesn't or if he's not effective then the Spurs can trade him in January and just spin that he's disgruntled. If he plays great then the Spurs are in contention, which is ultimately what we want. Then if he walks for less money after that then so be it.
aggie_fan13
AG
I wonder what George hill thinks of all this
bmart97
AG
azulAg said:

I wonder what George hill thinks of all this

Never crossed my mind. I like Hill, but that was one of the best trades the Spurs have ever made.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Rudy Gay declines his option
MookieBlaylock
AG
Gay is out
flashplayer
AG
Yeah that's not surprising about Rudy. Hopefully they can keep him without breaking the bank, but I expect he's looking elsewhere. Wouldn't shock me to see him go to Golden State, Houston, Boston, or Cleveland for the mid level
FTAG 2000
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Gay is out
Nothing wrong with that. He was going to need to opt out for the Spurs to have maximum flexibility this summer anyway.

Needed him, Joffrey, and Danny all to opt out really.
flashplayer
AG
AG 2000' said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Gay is out
Nothing wrong with that. He was going to need to opt out for the Spurs to have maximum flexibility this summer anyway.

I get ya, but since Danny and that big stiff probably don't opt out, Rudy opting out will likely be inconsequential to cap flexibility.
Guitarsoup
AG
If we are completely rebuilding, Gay, Joff, Green opting out is a good thing. Easier to absorb salary for picks with cap space
FTAG 2000
AG
flashplayer said:

AG 2000' said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Gay is out

I get ya, but since Danny and that big stiff probably don't opt out, Rudy opting out will likely be inconsequential to cap flexibility.
A fair number of reports indicate Joffrey has offers in Europe for more than the $1.6 million from the Spurs.

Curious to see Verde's decision in the coming days.
Ag Natural
AG
Gay way out performed his deal. I wouldn't be shocked if the Spurs tried to resign him.
aggie_fan13
AG
Utter collapse
Guitarsoup
AG
If Kawhi forces his way out, we need to sign Cadillac Williams, Will Perdue, and Dominique Wilkins.

Gay don't help enough.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If Kawhi forces his way out, we need to sign Cadillac Williams, Will Perdue, and Dominique Wilkins.

Gay don't help enough.
Did you mean Cadillac Anderson?
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Gay don't help enough.
You guys are such pansies. We've all been Spurs fans a long time. The only thing close to a tank job they ever did was when the entire starting lineup got injured and they decided to just keep them out in 1997. This team made the playoffs without Kawhi and basically no PG.

Gay is worth a 3 year deal. Give that to him. Continue to try and shop Gasol. Land a nice prospect in the draft. And force Kawhi to play this year. That's a near contender if things go right. He's less inclined to leave if the team is winning a lot. If he's still upset in Feb dump him for a gaggle of player and picks.
Guitarsoup
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

Guitarsoup said:

Gay don't help enough.
Did you mean Cadillac Anderson?

No, he's way too talented
DTP02
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Gay don't help enough.

So no Richard Jefferson?
West Texan
AG
The draft is Thursday, so time for everyone to make a prediction. The Spurs currently have the #18 and #49 picks. Do they make a trade and move up, acquire multiple picks, etc. So call your shot, who do they pick?

At this point, I think any picks we acquire will be in the future so we hold at #18 and pick Kevin Huerter. Pick 49 we take Devonte Graham.
flashplayer
AG
My prediction: they stand pat between now and Thursday, draft someone who is 6'6" that can handle the ball well and will actually average double digit minutes for a change as a Spurs rookie, Danny Green opts in because he sucks on offense and nobody will be willing to give him what the Spurs are paying him, the Kawhi rumors will continue until Lebron announces his decision and then will almost immediately die off.
Ag Natural
AG
I wonder what Jonathan Simmons thinks about all this. He left for Orlando because he thought he'd be Kawhi's backup forever here. Turns out, he would have been a starter on a playoff team.
MookieBlaylock
AG
very good point

he got some cash but...
Guitarsoup
AG
His contact was 3y/20mm, but only the first 13mm was guaranteed.
Guitarsoup
AG
aggieactor01
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan
AG
I'm gonna need both picks and Harris and they can have 18 if they wanna make a deal...
Ag Natural
AG
Uh no
West Texan
AG
Good Poster
AG
Sham already posted that they met today
Enzo The Baker
AG
I like that deal better than any potential lakers deal. The story linked says it includes two picks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.