*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,998 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

But if we could unload Patty's contract too without giving up our draft pick, I'd consider it.
I think 3y40mm of Patty Mills is going to be harder than 2y40mm of Ryan Anderson to unload without attaching some value. Ain't nobody got time for that.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

My thought is that:

Boogie leaves NOLA.
PG leaves OKC.
Green stays because no one has money to pay him this year.

What contenders have post players we need to worry about defensively?

Love
LMA
Kawhi
Green
Rondo or Tyreke

2nd team:
LMA or Love
Gay
Anderson or Bertans
Dejonte
Patty

Just a thought. The only other team that may firesale is OKC, who won't trade to us.

The issue with Love's defense isn't defending on the block, it's switching on the perimeter and defending the rim. He may be better on the perimeter than Gasol due to being quicker, but he's far from good at it and he's a much worse rim protector. Against teams like the rockets and warriors you'd still wouldn't be able to have him and theMarcus on the floor at the same time.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

But if we could unload Patty's contract too without giving up our draft pick, I'd consider it.
I think 3y40mm of Patty Mills is going to be harder than 2y40mm of Ryan Anderson to unload without attaching some value. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I still can't believe they made those deals. They are RJ-bad.

Edit: I dont have a good feeling about what we will offer Tony after those two contracts.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I'm a Rockets fan just sitting here waiting for the game to start and have nothing else to look at in the next 10 minutes.

BUT.

IS PATTY MILLS REALLY WORKING OFF A 50 MIL CONTRACT???
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yup. 4 years/50 million. And Gasol got the same amount basically stretched over 3 years (although not fully guaranteed in the final year.) They wanted to take the heat off of your rockets for the Anderson deal.
Guitarsoup
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

I'm a Rockets fan just sitting here waiting for the game to start and have nothing else to look at in the next 10 minutes.

BUT.

IS PATTY MILLS REALLY WORKING OFF A 50 MIL CONTRACT???
Reported. Bringing up Patty's contract is trolling.
DTP02
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I just can't get over Pop and RC giving Patty that contract. So, so bad.
Ag Natural
AG
Well at least Patty and Pau play.

Seriously, this incessant crying about Pattys deal is getting old. Yeah, he's a little over paid so what? What should he have been offered as the only healthy returning PG? Pop wanted to keep a vet and we did not know that Tony would come back all. Hell, at the time we didn't even know WHEN Manu was making his decision.

Patty is a nice player off the bench and is a great fit with Kawhi on the floor. He's probably worth 8 or 9 and is getting 12.5. That move isn't sinking the franchise.

Remember last year you all want LMA gone.
aggie_fan13
AG
my ban is up what did i miss ?
Ulrich
Last year LMA wanted to be gone and he played like it, which is why so many people wanted him to be gone. Good on him and Pop for figuring it out.

If Mills becomes better than he has ever been or Gasol turns the clock back five years I'll admit to being wrong, but right now we have 30% of the cap going to guys who are barely playable in the playoffs.
West Texan
AG
Barring some miracle trade, Patty will be back.

Looking at some more big man options (assuming we can drop Joffrey), Kyle O'Quinn is interesting imo. I'll be honest, I haven't watched enough of the Knicks to know if he's got any kind of quickness to be more effective than Pau in the perimeter, but he rebounds and blocks shots at a good rate, puts up pretty good assist numbers per 36, which would suggest he's an adequate passer, and he shot 77% from the free throw line so he's not a hack a Shaq candidate. I don't know what kind of price tag he'll draw, but if we could get him for a good number he seems like he'd be a solid rotational big to add.
aggie_fan13
AG
So we getting Lebron or nah ?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ulrich
Are they going to film anything new or just cut in this play?
jteagle
AG
Ulrich said:

Are they going to film anything new or just cut in this play?

I miss Boban!
flashplayer
AG
azulAg said:

So we getting Lebron or nah ?

Yep. Him and Kobe and MJ and Bill Russell all gonna sign for the minimum to play for Pop.
aggie_fan13
AG
Half life 3 confirmed
aggieactor01
AG
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/6/5/17432582/pop-and-kawhi-leonard-will-meet-before-the-nba-draft

Quote:

According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich and Kawhi Leonard will be meeting up before the NBA Draft on June 21 to try and hash things out.
Not earth shattering, but something at any rate.
saltydog13
AG
never mind
Guitarsoup
AG
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250116/Kawhi-Leonard-Close-To-100-Percent-Still-Set-For-Sit-Down-With-Spurs

Highlights:
Quote:

Kawhi Leonard is expected to be healthy for training camp as he makes progress in rehabbing his quad injury.

"Kawhi Leonard didn't necessarily 'go rogue', despite all the reports," said Shams Charania. "He was working out with San Antonio staffers during the season and now going into the summer, his rehab has continued. He's been around. He went to Gregg Popovich's wife's service shortly after the season ended. People close to him, they made it clear he was there. He interacted with Spurs' officials, with staffers.

Charania also reported that the spurs haven't entertained trade offers for Leonard.

jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250116/Kawhi-Leonard-Close-To-100-Percent-Still-Set-For-Sit-Down-With-Spurs

Highlights:
Quote:

Kawhi Leonard is expected to be healthy for training camp as he makes progress in rehabbing his quad injury.

"Kawhi Leonard didn't necessarily 'go rogue', despite all the reports," said Shams Charania. "He was working out with San Antonio staffers during the season and now going into the summer, his rehab has continued. He's been around. He went to Gregg Popovich's wife's service shortly after the season ended. People close to him, they made it clear he was there. He interacted with Spurs' officials, with staffers.

Charania also reported that the spurs haven't entertained trade offers for Leonard.

This is what I have been hearing alot behind the scenes. National media seems to always blow everything out of proportion and I know alot of us(including me) bought into it. However, the one thing I could never get out of my mind is that all of this seemed out of character for Kawhi. He just doesn't seem like the type that would completely abandon his team.
West Texan
AG
I'm excited for Andrew Monaco to be calling Aggie games now, but I'm gonna miss his coverage of The Spurs. Always really liked him.
flashplayer
AG
List of people who have now come out and said Lebron should go to San Antonio:

Broussard
Jalen Rose
Stephen Jackson
Steve Smith
Max Kellerman

I do find this odd they're saying this now. No one has said this the last 20 years the Spurs have been a powerhouse about any good player.
West Texan
AG
flashplayer said:

List of people who have now come out and said Lebron should go to San Antonio:

Broussard
Jalen Rose
Stephen Jackson
Steve Smith
Max Kellerman

I do find this odd they're saying this now. No one has said this the last 20 years the Spurs have been a powerhouse about any good player.

Of the teams that are viewed as Lebron's potential landing places, The Spurs are the only team that doesn't have someone that dominates the ball and has to have in their hands to be effective. Houston has Harden and Paul that both dominate the ball, the Sixers have Simmons that runs the point, Boston has Kyrie, etc. He'd be able to run the offense, but he'd have much better options around him than he currently has in Cleveland, a legit big, a superstar wing to take the pressure off, and he wouldn't have to guard the opposing teams best player in crunch time because we could Kawhi, Green, and Dejounte around him to guard the perimeter. Plus, he's always seemed to really admire and respect Pop's coaching.

With all that said, I don't expect Lebron to come here.
flashplayer
AG
Yeah, I agree. I'm more likely to need a heavy jacket in the July South Texas sun than to need to worry about a Lebron showing up. I just find it odd they're recommending it.

The team would have to be gutted down to this just for the money to enter the neighborhood.

Dejounte / League min.
Green / Manu
Lebron / Gay
Kawhi / 18th pick
Lamarcus / League min

That doesn't even consider the miracle needed to ship Gasol and Mills to a team that wants to see the Spurs contend with Golden State.
Ag Natural
AG
Worst finals ever. Congrats to GSW for getting lucky with the Kawhi and CP3 injuries. "Dynasty "
Malcolm52
AG
Don't think GS was losing to HOU whether they had CP3 or not. They just have too many ways to beat you.
Guitarsoup
AG
http://foxsanantonio.com/sports/popovich-reportedly-all-in-at-making-a-case-for-the-spurs-to-lebron-james
Enzo The Baker
AG
If we could at least have the big three of LeBron, LA, and Kawhi I would absolutely be on board with this. And we really wouldn't need a PG if we had LeBron. Just don't see how we could make it work. I don't want to give up the 18th just to unload cap space for a boneheaded mistake last offseason.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

If we could at least have the big three of LeBron, LA, and Kawhi I would absolutely be on board with this. And we really wouldn't need a PG if we had LeBron. Just don't see how we could make it work. I don't want to give up the 18th just to unload cap space for a boneheaded mistake last offseason.
If giving up the 18th pick guarantees Lebron James is a Spur you do it all day long!
Guitarsoup
AG
The main issue is going to be this:

Cleveland can probably get over Gasol's contract, but $40mm for 3 more years of Patty is going to be rough. But assuming that LMA/Klaw are untouchable, it is going to be hard to do without Patty. If Green and Gay opt in, maybe you move those 1y deals.

Gasol 16
Patty 12.5
Green 10
Gay 8.8
Manu 2.5
White 1.7
Murray 1.5

If Bron comes alone, you have to give them back 28mm and change.
If they did Bron+Thompson, you need to give them back a min of 42.5.
If they did Bron+JR, you need to give back a min of 40.

Gasol+Patty+Green+Manu+White+18 = Bron+Thompson

Run it with:
Thompson/Bertans
LMA/Gay
Bron/Anderson
Kawhi/Forbes
Murray/Parker

Biggest damn front line that ever existed.

Enzo The Baker
AG
jteagle said:

Enzo The Baker said:

If giving up the 18th pick guarantees Lebron James is a Spur you do it all day long!
I completely agree. But we would have no way of knowing what he intends to do before the draft. We can't talk to him until 10 days after, so nothing would be a certainty.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

jteagle said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I completely agree. But we would have no way of knowing what he intends to do before the draft. We can't talk to him until 10 days after, so nothing would be a certainty.
Just like the Rockets never talked to Chris Paul before they traded for him.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Well if D'Angelo Russell is saying it...

I think all of these people saying LeBron to the Spurs is the kiss of death.
flashplayer
AG
Yeah, Lebron sweepstakes fever is going to claim more victims this year than anything we've ever seen.

The next 3 weeks will be unbearable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.