*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,951 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Way to go Gasol. Don't box your man out. Earn that $16 million.
phatpat21
This series is on the line these next 3-4 minutes
Down 11, do they make a run or is this season basically over?
Enzo The Baker
AG
It's over.
phatpat21
Enzo The Baker
AG
Green might not have any choice but to pick up his player option. That's how terrible he's playing.
Enzo The Baker
AG
After re-signing Kawhi, the number one priority of this team should be to sign at least one 40% three point shooter.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
The classic/usual 3rd quarter collapse. Well done, Spurs. Just get swept and be done with it.

Side note. Draymond Green is the biggest POS in the NBA.
flashplayer
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

After re-signing Kawhi, the number one priority of this team should be to sign at least one 40% three point shooter.

They also need a decent size defender of at least 6-9 that can either switch some on defense or be around the rim on drives. LMA goes down and they don't even have anyone who is serviceable on the defensive end down low.
FTAG 2000
AG
The Spurs as constructed are fundamentally flawed for the game being played, especially in the west.

- Parker should ride off into the sunset, or if he comes back, do it for the vet minimum
- Get rid of Patty and Gasol somehow (yes, know it's unlikely but damn these two are a drag on the squad)
- Need to let Forbes walk. RC and Pop keep talking about him being a Curry clone. No, he's a scrub who can't shoot when it matters, only in the summer.
- No more midget ball. Patty and Forbes on the court against GS or Houston is just funny. It's like Pop's trolling everyone who cares about the Spurs winning.
- Need more shooters, scorers.
- Need another rim protector or too, not a bunch of old dudes who can't back up LA

White needs more time (give him all of the minutes Forbes and Patty are sucking), Davis needs more run.

Murray needs to shoot 5000 shots a day until he can shoot consistently.

And of course pray Kawhi comes back.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I agree with all of that.

But we are stuck with Gasol and Mills unless we trade them away with Kawhi. No one is dumb enough to take those warm bodies with those contracts. If only Phil Jackson was still with the Knicks.
Ag Natural
AG
Forbes IS a shooter and scorer. You realize he's only wrapping up his second season. This kid made the team as a rookie FA because he could shoot and he works his tail off. He is not going anywhere.
FTAG 2000
AG
Ag Natural said:

Forbes IS a shooter and scorer. You realize he's only wrapping up his second season. This kid made the team as a rookie FA because he could shoot and he works his tail off. He is not going anywhere.

Forbes was eleventh on the team in scoring this year. 11th. Scorer my ass. He's here because he got on a heater for Summer League and Pop and RC think that trumps the fact he hasn't done jack in the regular season or playoffs.

And again, he's a huge liability against GS and Houston, the competition for the foreseeable future in the West.
Deputy Travis Junior
It's Bleacher Report, I know, but:

"Kawhi Leonard Reportedly Goes Weeks Without Responding to Spurs' Calls, Texts"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771116-kawhi-leonard-reportedly-goes-weeks-without-responding-to-spurs-calls-texts

(and unfortunately Bleacher Report isn't the shoddy site it was years ago. It's actuality semi reliable now)

I don't know what happened between Kawhi and the team but at this point I'd be surprised if he was back next year.
Ulrich
Forbes is fine for a depth guy on a cheap contract. He's a decent defender who can shoot and score off the dribble. The issue is not Forbes, it's the guys making starter money and getting starter minutes but can't hang with good teams.
aggie_fan13
AG
He got stupid
Ulrich
I would be unsurprised to find out that he's got some kind of mental issue that's playing into this. It's not weird for Kawhi anymore, it's weird for anyone.
Enzo The Baker
AG
From Marc Stein

Quote:

One well-placed insider who has closely monitored this situation told me recently that the Spurs continue to give off signals behind the scenes that they won't trade Leonard. I'm sure they want Leonard to believe that, but this saga has reached the point that a trade has to be considered no less likely than the prospect of a Pop/Kawhi summit that leads to a detente.

Are the Spurs really prepared to maintain the status quo and enter the coming season with Leonard in the final year of his contract before hitting free agency in July 2019? Are the Spurs really going to offer him the "supermax" contract extension worth in excess of $200 million that Leonard is eligible to receive after July 1 when the relationship between player and organization is so contentious?

It's getting easier by the day to envision a trade in June or July before San Antonio goes down either one of those roads.
claym711
AG
Kawhi's boo-boo is a stranger situation that Fultz
Ag Natural
AG
I think they offer the contract. If he signs he can still be traded.
Enzo The Baker
AG
But he can't sign the contract until after the draft on July 1st right? If that's the case, the Spurs are going to need some kind of indication before draft night. Otherwise, their trade options really dwindle after the draft.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

But he can't sign the contract until after the draft on July 1st right? If that's the case, the Spurs are going to need some kind of indication before draft night. Otherwise, their trade options really dwindle after the draft.
Indication of what?

The bottom line is if he doesn't sign with the Spurs he loses $60 million. So nothing is happening until after July 1st either way. If the Spurs do end up trading him it won't be for 2018 draft picks. That is unless they just jump the gun and do it... which would be unwise IMO.
flashplayer
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Indication of what?

The bottom line is if he doesn't sign with the Spurs he loses $60 million. So nothing is happening until after July 1st either way. If the Spurs do end up trading him it won't be for 2018 draft picks. That is unless they just jump the gun and do it... which would be unwise IMO.

How is trading for 2019 picks from a team Kawhi is going to smart? Even if a 3rd team is involved that sucks, they're most likely going to be better than a bottom 5 team after the trade. So I don't necessarily follow that logic unless there's a team out there holding a bunch of crappy teams picks. (doesn't seem likely)

If the Spurs wait until after the deadline and he doesn't sign, his trade value plummets because teams know he's on the open market at end of year and that the Spurs are dead in the water and have to take some crap deal to get anything for him. Ship him off before the draft and the Spurs at least have the leverage that they can potentially re-sign him for more money than anyone.

As much of a chump as he's been, the Spurs might happily send him away before he's eligible for his payday.

I'm sure option 1 is reconciliation and a max offer from the Spurs standpoint. We just have no idea if that's what Kawhi wants.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've watched about 30 minutes of this series so far. About 1.5 quarters of the game 1, and about 15 minutes of game 2. (The 10:45 ET start time does not help.)

This is gonna be a sweep.
Ag Natural
AG
flashplayer said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Indication of what?

How is trading for 2019 picks from a team Kawhi is going to smart? Even if a 3rd team is involved that sucks, they're most likely going to be better than a bottom 5 team after the trade. So I don't necessarily follow that logic unless there's a team out there holding a bunch of crappy teams picks. (doesn't seem likely)

If the Spurs wait until after the deadline and he doesn't sign, his trade value plummets because teams know he's on the open market at end of year and that the Spurs are dead in the water and have to take some crap deal to get anything for him. Ship him off before the draft and the Spurs at least have the leverage that they can potentially re-sign him for more money than anyone.

As much of a chump as he's been, the Spurs might happily send him away before he's eligible for his payday.

I'm sure option 1 is reconciliation and a max offer from the Spurs standpoint. We just have no idea if that's what Kawhi wants.

I give it a 1% chance of Kawhi getting traded. And that one percent is reserved for the slim chance someone decides to trade a real star.
bmart97
AG
You've been more right than anyone around here about the Spurs being loyal and willing to "dance with the one that bring you" more than other teams who scrap plans too early and often. I think many of us just think at some point a complete rebuild may be necessary. I wouldn't have said that with this team until all the rumors of an unhappy Kawhi ran wild.
flashplayer
AG
Agree
Ag Natural
AG
bmart97 said:

You've been right than anyone around here about the Spurs being loyal and willing to "dance with the one that bring you" more than other teams who scrap plans too early and often. I think many of us just think at some point a complete rebuild may be necessary. I wouldn't have said that with this team until all the rumors of an unhappy Kawhi ran wild.

Hey, healthiness brings happiness. If Kawhi comes back strong then I promise no body is making a hasty move simply out of spite.
Matsui
AG
Pop wife died today
aggie_fan13
AG
Sad news, RIP
Enzo The Baker
AG
Prayers for Pop.
LawHall88
AG
jteagle
AG
That's crazy. I honestly don't know anything about his wife. Was she sick or was this totally unexpected?

Either way it is very sad!
Enzo The Baker
AG
Woj says she was sick over an extended period. Incredible that he can keep on coaching. He even gave an interview today at practice.
Sports-Ag
AG
Sad news. You always hear Pop tell the press there's more to life than basketball.
jteagle
AG
Just saw this on Twitter. Guess she had been in poor health. RIP

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.