*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,727 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Pop killed plus minus
Enzo The Baker
AG
Pop pissed this game away. We are up two with two minutes left and he does hack-a-Simmons to tie the game (he made both free throws). We have one of the best freaking defenses in the league. It ended the momentum. I love Pop but sometimes he tries to get too cutesy.
Ulrich
We had Philadelphia on the ropes. Big comeback, lots of momentum... then we sucked all the life out of the game with hack a Simmons.

The Hack Strategy is counterproductive in all but one situation: when the other team has a player who is on fire and you need to slow the game down until you can figure out a defense.

Otherwise, it may slightly lower the opponent's points per possession (not by much when it's a 50% ft shooter), but I think it hurts your own even more because you have to attack a set half court defense every time. No fast breaks, no semi transition, no attack on early mismatches, and you can't force turnovers.
Ag Natural
AG
I was okay with it in this situation. Simmons had just missed 3 straight and the defense had been pretty terrible all game. I don't think the 3 FTS he made after getting fouled intentionally was the difference. It was all the other fouls during the game. Philly took 40 or so FTs. That was one of the sloppiest defensive games I've seen from the Spurs this year.
Pendragon12
AG
We were struggling with them inside all game, and getting rebounds...so I was fine especially with how Simmons was shooting FTs.

I thought we got dominated inside all game. I don't know if it showed up stat-wise, but felt like we had issues finishing in the paint and kept losing rebounds and loose balls.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I thought the same thing. It felt like we got dominated on the glass, but in reality it was pretty even. We had 43 rebounds to their 45, and 12 offensive rebs to their 13. But the young guys fought and scrapped all the way back to take the lead. At least have faith in them and let them finish it out on their own. With Pop doing the hack-a-whoever, I feel it's less of a strategy as it is him being arrogant.
champagnepapi
Spurs will come back
Guitarsoup
AG
Before the season, if I told you that Kawhi had only played 150 total minutes in the first 40 games but the Spurs were on track for 55 wins and just 2 games out of 2nd place, you would have taken that all day.
Guitarsoup
AG
aggieactor01
AG
Guitarsoup said:

That's awesome. I miss Boban.

Headed to the game tonight! Excited to see Kawhi in person for the first time this year!

Go Spurs Go!!
Ulrich
Josh Jackson always looks like he just banked in a three.
jteagle
AG
aggieactor01 said:

Guitarsoup said:

That's awesome. I miss Boban.

Headed to the game tonight! Excited to see Kawhi in person for the first time this year!

Go Spurs Go!!
Kawhi looked good tonight. Most complete game so far with some big plays on defense. 21 pts 4 steals and 3 blocks. Manu also had 21.
Guitarsoup
AG
Goat

aggieactor01
AG
Was a fun game. Started off slow and turned up the D in the 2nd quarter. Kawhi looked almost his old self. Manu scored 15 in the 3rd. He is amazing to watch. Felt lucky to witness "Manu being Manu".

For Phoenix it was fun to watch House. Glad that guy is getting minutes. He had a lot of hussle plays and also got schooled a few times.
jteagle
AG
aggieactor01 said:

Was a fun game. Started off slow and turned up the D in the 2nd quarter. Kawhi looked almost his old self. Manu scored 15 in the 3rd. He is amazing to watch. Felt lucky to witness "Manu being Manu".

For Phoenix it was fun to watch House. Glad that guy is getting minutes. He had a lot of hussle plays and also got schooled a few times.
House had a nice dunk!
Pendragon12
AG
That was a fun, wide open game early. I'm sure Pop hated some of the ball flying all over the gym moments, but as a fan it was entertaining.

This game shows me why Forbes keeps getting minutes over Murray. He stays more controlled and doesn't commit as many mental mistakes at this point as Murray. And Forbes is pretty quick and his defensive hustle is night and day from last year to this year. Other than Kawhi, we don't have many quick defenders that can stay with some of the better offensive opponents.

And I freaking love Manu. That 3rd quarter was fantastic.
Ag Natural
AG
Pendragon12 said:

That was a fun, wide open game early. I'm sure Pop hated some of the ball flying all over the gym moments, but as a fan it was entertaining.

This game shows me why Forbes keeps getting minutes over Murray. He stays more controlled and doesn't commit as many mental mistakes at this point as Murray. And Forbes is pretty quick and his defensive hustle is night and day from last year to this year. Other than Kawhi, we don't have many quick defenders that can stay with some of the better offensive opponents.

And I freaking love Manu. That 3rd quarter was fantastic.

Forbes is light years ahead of Murray right now. DJ brings some unique elements to the table but he's not a great PG right now and can't shoot. Meanwhile Forbes has become a pretty reliable contributor.
Pendragon12
AG
I wouldn't go with light years. Murray plays pretty good defense and his ability to get to the rim is amazing at times.

That said, he still makes too many mistakes. Pop can't depend on him. He tries to do more than he should right now.

I'm watching Forbes and I'm watching someone who doesn't try to do too much. He has a good, sometimes great shot. And he's playing his tail off on defense while minimizing his mistakes.
Ulrich
Last year, neither Forbes nor Murray looked like they belonged in the NBA. This year, Forbes looks like he belongs and Murray looks like he may settle in as a 2 rather than a point guard.

Forbes works really hard on defense, maneuvers around well in the midrange game, and generally decisively makes the right pass/shoot/drive decisions. He's not an overwhelming talent, but is a nice piece.

Murray is still mostly upside. His point guard skills are nowhere to be seen, but I love the way he can get to the rim and attacks the glass on both ends. Defensively he's got quick recovery and great length but still hasn't parlayed those physical capabilities into consistently good defense. He comes up with more than his share of disruptive plays, but he's not really a stopper and can't navigate screens.

Anderson has really surprised me to the upside. The point-post experiment last year didn't really work because even with the extra weight he was weaker than posts and slower than everyone. Now that he's slimmed back down he's substantially better as a slow, smart, oversized perimeter player. He has benefited more than anyone from Gasol settling in defensively. Anderson is plenty smart enough to eat up space and funnel faster guards and wings into the help defense as long as the help defense is doing its job.

Bertans seems to have worked his way into the lineup, but will presumably disappear again when Gay comes back... not sure there are enough minutes for four 6'8 to 6'9 combo forwards even though Bertans does a lot of things really well for a second team forward.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Kawhi (shoulder strain), Parker, Green and Gay are out tonight. Bummer, we are gaining ground on Houston. Tonight would be a huge win.
Ganondorf
AG
Almost won. Terrible play call imo to go with a long fadeaway for LA.
Mike Elko
AG
WTF kinda play was that to end it? Ugly. That's a game SA shoulda won.
West Texan
AG
Definitely wasn't Pop's finest play he's ever drawn up, but considering all the guys we had sitting out we shouldn't have even been in the game.

Also what the heck has gotten into Manu this season?!? I can't remember the last time he was this good this consistently. Unbelievable that a 40 year old is having such a resurgent year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Manu is incredible. We just couldn't get the stops down the stretch. Their point guards crushed us. I don't understand why Pop insists on keeping Mills in until the end, especially on the last possession on defense. Why not put in Paul? To me Patty has been the biggest disappointment this year. The guy is absolutely non-existent on defense and doesn't make up for it on the other end.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Also Kawhi has a partial tear in his shoulder. He won't be playing tomorrow in Sacramento. And I'm sure a lot of the guys, like Manu, will be out for rest.
FTAG 2000
AG
Lol at Aldridge wanting to be the alpha. Missed two free throws and that terrible shot at the end. Howabout nutting up st the free throw line?

Could see this coming with Patty when they gave him that ridiculous deal in free agency coming off his season last year. Waste of money and Pop continues to play him down the stretch when Tony sits. Problem is he can't defend and isn't shooting well at the other end. Would like to see Murray or Paul get those minutes, especially when paired with Manu.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Aldridge otherwise had a fantastic game. I think the coaching lost it for us. Last night also showed how much we miss Danny on defense.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Manu is incredible. We just couldn't get the stops down the stretch. Their point guards crushed us. I don't understand why Pop insists on keeping Mills in until the end, especially on the last possession on defense. Why not put in Paul? To me Patty has been the biggest disappointment this year. The guy is absolutely non-existent on defense and doesn't make up for it on the other end.

I get what you're saying. But Patty wasn't even gaurding McCullom on his game winner. Kyle was... and Murray was also on the floor.
Enzo The Baker
AG
True. He wasn't really involved in that last play. I'm just saying from a strategic standpoint, why wouldn't you want your best defenders out there on your last stand of the game?

But every time Patty was guarding somebody with the ball, they blew right by him causing the rest of our defense to collapse. It's bizarre. He wasn't this terrible before. His size always caused limitations, but he at least always put in the effort on that end. He's also extremely soft on the defensive boards.
Pendragon12
AG
Davis saves the day last night. An amazing game. LA with another huge performance and a double double.
Pendragon12
AG
On a not good note - Parker went down with a turned ankle sometime in the 4th. Not sure if anything has come out on him yet.

It would be awesome if we could get our full team back at some point.
jteagle
AG
Ulrich said:

Bertans seems to have worked his way into the lineup, but will presumably disappear again when Gay comes back... not sure there are enough minutes for four 6'8 to 6'9 combo forwards even though Bertans does a lot of things really well for a second team forward.
If he keeps playing like this he should get his minutes!

Ulrich
He actually does several things well for a starting forward. Glad to see him getting a chance to shine, he's a good basketball player, not just an oversized spot up shooter.
Ulrich
According to stats/ advanced stats Mills is bad defensively but still a + player and statistically well ahead of his most obvious replacements in Forbes and Murray, but he's failing the eye test badly. He's not worth the defensive woes and too-frequent tough pull up twos when he's under 40% from three. How long until we try this playoff rotation:
Parker / Manu
Green / Anderson
Kawhi / Gay
Aldridge / Bertans
Gasol / Lauvergne
Spot minutes from Mills, Forbes, and Murray depending on matchup
Enzo The Baker
AG
That's just it. Patty is playing like a spot minutes player while being the 5th highest paid player on the team. I don't think Forbes would be considered a Patty replacement because he has mainly played off of the ball. But when he does get the ball in the motion of he offense he seems to be a lot more versatile than Mills. It's pretty amazing how easily he can get to the paint or get an open jumper off. There are so many times that Mills dribbles around with the ball for a long period only to go nowhere or eventually settle for a long 2. It can be infuriating to watch. And for Murray, until he can stop turning the ball over or can consistently finish at the rim, I don't think he will take over those minutes, which is a shame because he's an insanely good rebounder and can bring a lot to the defensive end.

That surprises me with the advanced stats because Forbes seems a lot more active on defense which is why I think Pop is giving him heavy minutes with Green being out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.